New fag here. Is it autistic to ask for help or ask a dude in the gym for instructions?

New fag here. Is it autistic to ask for help or ask a dude in the gym for instructions?
I want to be fit by next semester and it seems like less people will use the schools gym over the summer.

Gym is very intimidating because I have no idea what to do. Also blacks.

>muh sticky
Sticky doesn't teach you how to not be a scared fag about going to the gym

It is autistic to ask for a random person to help, don't do that.

Just look up a routine, search YouTube videos on how to perform the movements and just do it. No way around it. If there's a personal trainer in your gym, just ask him, but not for people there working out.

Is it autistic to watch YouTube videos at the gym before doing a workout?

Pretty autistic to ask someone for instructions, if you arent sure when you are in the gym just load up a video of whatever lift you are doing and practice it in a mirror with the bar, nothing wrong with that, better than loading on 1pl8 on OHP for the first time ever and falling over backwards

Wow I have no idea what that last piece of jargon means.

dont bother people

50-50 shot he tries to fuck your twink ass in the shower

1pl8 = a 45lb plate on either side of the bar (90lbs total weight without bar included)

OHP = Overhead press

What program are you going to be using?

When I started at my local gym, I was dyel, still am. But I was never autistic about talking to people, I have no social interaction deficiencies at all so I just asked around and now I got gym bros for spotting.

Be yourself, if your not comfortable, don't push, if you are, it useally doesn't hurt. A lot of the old timers are MORE than happy to give you advice, they love seeing new guys.

Don't listen to the /fat/ autismos telling you not to chat to people, surprisingly enough, gym bros are also normal people, who would have thought?

Im supposed to be doing a program????

Was going to just do whatever the sticky told me to.

My goal is just to start not being a scared fag and learn how to do the forms. Beyond that, just get in decent enough shape I guess.

Wow this is reassuring.

So should I ask the older most ripped dudes for advice??

Feel like they would have the best knowledge and be the nicest

Well the sticky has programs in it, like SS (Starting Strength).

You pretty much have to do a program if you want to make good gains, I thought the same as you when I started, but you get the hang of stuff really quick, just watch a lot of videos and read up before you go in there.

>I'm supposed to be doing a program????
Generally, yes. There are about a million out there and google is your friend

>do what the sticky told me to
There's a link in the sticky that says "this program is for bodybuilding" or something to that effect. Use that.

If you don't know what "overhand seated cable rows" means, google it. Find a YouTube video and it will make a lot more sense. But like says, a gym bro goes a long way.

Very useful info guys.
Will check out starting strength.

Any good YouTube video recommendations?

Or advice how to get gym bro? Do I meet one there? I've tried getting other people to go to the gym with me before but usually they are as scared as me.

>Any good YouTube video recommendations?
It's not youtube, but there is a video article on bodybuilding.com called Dorian Yates' blood and guts. It's a great program with a ton of useful tips. After you finish SS you might want to consider doing it. Every exercise is shown and will probably give you a basic understanding of every exercise.

I mean it depends on the question, I wouldn't mind. I'd rather see a newbie doing something right in the gym. I'd actually respect that

Another good way to start is Stronglifts 5X5. It is an app that starts with five lifts. OHP, Diddly, Squat, Bench, Pendlay Row.

I like using apps for shit. Might do this.

Whats a good time to use a gym at a college campus during the summer? I don't want to go when it's real busy.

Afraid that I will take someone's spot or something

QTDDTOT

Only speaking from experience here, but mid-morning seems to be pretty quiet.

Man dont be a pussy, once you get in there you will see that no one will even look at you for more than a glance when you walk in.

Just make sure to filll up the squat rack after you use it tho, pisses me off so much when newbies forget that

Fill up the squat rack? Does this mean make sure I put my shit back?

no

I have no problems giving advice to people who ask for it at the gym. On rare occasion I even give unsolicited advise, but that's only when they look like they are about to fuck themselves up.
If you need advice ask for it.

theyre not there to talk.
Lifters are either getting their workout then leaving or are some weird fucking gym rat that has nolife. So don't bother them you autistic fuck.

Watch a handful of vids, practice the forms, learn the jargon, and do it.

I wouldn't do it because it's easier to just google proper form and watch those 30 second videos on bodybuilding.com or youtube than it is to talk to people at the gym BUT tbqh I think the average person would be flattered if you asked for thwie advice.

Just look at Veeky Forums. People voluntarily giving up their time to act as other peoples PT's just because sharing their knowledge makes them feel like experts. People irl propably like to share their knowledge as well, as long as you're not bothering them too much. If anyone came up to me (and it had happened) I've always been glad to advice on proper form or supplements etc. because it's like they aknowledge me as an authority on the subject.

You don't need a program but for a beginner like you who has no clue they provide some level of guarantee for progress.

Although if you're doing something like SS which is boring as fuck I recommend you throw in some accessory lifts of your choice, in your case just google shit and try out a new exercise or two every time just to see if there's something you really love doing. I for example absolutely love doing face pulls because they feel good and effective so I throw them in even when my back workout is supposed to be done already.

>face pull

Will this make my face look like Chad?

Make sure to watch your nutrition and get enough sleep. It's just as important as the lifting.

I'm an intermediate lifter and I still do this occasionally when I know I'm having form issues. It helps to watch pros be pros

MODS