Why would someone refuse to accept a belt in martial arts?

Why would someone refuse to accept a belt in martial arts?

In BJJ, there's this guy who is refusing to accept his blue belt that he's worked 2 years for. I personally think this is disrespectful. I also think he's doing it to show everyone how unselfish he is.

Or am I overthinking this?

maybe he just does it for fun and doesn't want to attach any hierarchy bullshit into the mix?

maybe he's trying to give his sensei blue belt by making him stand there with the belt in his hands

It's disrespectful attention whoring if he meets the usual requirements for the belt.

There are practical reasons to have visible ways to estimate someone's experience/skill level. It's not like someone gets to treat you poorly because they have a higher belt.

Doesn't feel like he's earned it maybe? The showing how unselfish he is thing is probably right.

fucking kek

Maybe he wants to compete at white belt level for the gold

Sandbagging? That's a possibility. Either way, he's a dick.

The pressure of having that belt is that now everyone below you is gunning for you, you slip up and let a White Belt beat you and you'll be shamed or looked down on.

is he sandbagging? what did he say is the reason for not accepting the promotion?

>fucking smurfs

Maybe he literally doesn't give a fuck about belts. I practice muay thai but I don't care at all to learn the culture. I'm just there to get better at punching and kicking people.

>you slip up and let a White Belt beat you and you'll be shamed or looked down on

tons of blue belts get beat by white belts on occasion. Sometimes you have a bad day and the other guy outweighs you and has a good day. you sound like you don't train very much.

most probably because of legal reasons.
he wants to beat the shit out of someone, without going to prison for excessive violence.

If hes insecure and selfcritic it might be just that

I did BJJ for a year. I didn't care for belts anymore after having been involved in other various martial arts for many years.

SAMBO, muay thai, submission grappling, wing chicken chun, reality based self defense, and so on.

I do it for fun, fitness and to learn a few new tricks. I dont care to master any one particular art.

Nothing wrong against those who do and there isn't anything wrong with those who don't. Thats just how it is.

fucking twinks

> you slip up and let a White Belt beat you and you'll be shamed or looked down on.

How else are you supposed to truly prove your worth upward if you never take out someone from a higher level? If a blue gets beat by a white with ease, the white just proved they deserved to be respected as a blue.

Idk man I had put in a year straight and I mean everyday 2-6 hours a day or more at the gym I went to and I burned through the mandatories for the blue belt in 4 months and was even choking out the instructors by then, I wanted to take my test but the G(r)aycies added a fucking grey/blue belt to the mix and said if have to work another year, I'm like art? I've trained since 16 but always had interruptions by the time it came to get my blue belt and at 23 I'm like fuck it, bjj is milked for money and it lost its essence , so maybe the guy is like me?
>tired of all the bullshit I just want to roll....

This.

It also depends on the "white belts" background. I've had over 7 years of other various martial art experience but coming into BJJ they awarded me with a white belt. Submitting guys with 4+ years of experience wasn't uncommon.

Anyway, point is, belts can be deceiving and nobody knows or cares what belt you are outside of the dojo. I think thats probably the only reason I like RBSD. Only problem with RBSD is the lack of competition and sport.

This. I've known guys who've done this, except our coach was in on it. My gym does a couple of belt ceremonies a year. I competed at blue belt for months after my coach told me I was already a purple belt and would get my belt at the end of the summer. I competed at purple when I was already a brown.
If he's just trying to make a statement though, I'd tell him to take it or gtfo. Your opponent should know what level you're at. If a blue belt is larping as a white belt then it sounds like they're the kind of faggot who likes to crush noobs.

>even choking out the instructors by then
Was your instructor your mate Kyle and a Gracie University subscription? I've never heard such shit in my life. You were not choking out black belts as a white belt, or a blue belt, or a purple belt. Stop larping, faggot!

Not him, but I had caught three black belts by the time I hit blue. Not the only one at my gym to have done that either, and one of those one Worlds as a blue belt, while the second recently won his division at Europeans. It happens.

Kek. People most definitely do treat you shittily for having a lower belt.

>tfw 12 years and counting in karate
>Sometimes forget my black belt so I wear a white belt
>They come free with my uniform, so I have about a billion as spares
>Sometimes go to an interstate or even international event
>A shitload of people walking around thinking they're top shit for having a black or even brown belt
>A little known fact is that karate is absolute shit by itself; paired with another martial art, it's actually not bad
>Most karate fighters suck ass though
>Walking around in my white belt I cop a lot of shit
>Idiots hit too hard in drills and don't listen when I tell them to save it for sparring
>One challenges me to sparring
>Karate is wrist on wrist, it hurts is you do it wrong
>This guy has buises all up his arms by the end of it, and also I kicked him in the chest just because
>He's a purple by the way
>Next day I hear he's walking around with his brother and another guy from his dojo; brother is a brown belt, friend is a newly minted black belt as of that day; doesn't even have a physical black belt yet
>I remembered my belt today, and I'm wearing it and my uniform under a club jacket
>This particular club jacket is popular among people from an area known for producing some really good fighters; same guys I hang out with
>They come up and "confront me"
>I unzip jacket, show worn black belt
>I spend the next few minutes dressing them down for their shitty attitudes
>I even make them refer to me as senpai, which is actually a title I've earned

It's hard to explain, but the hierarchy is pretty strict considering it's basically fast yoga in pajamas disguised as fighting.

>one of those one Worlds as a blue belt
>the second recently won his division at Europeans.
>It happens.

Weightclass at euros? Reason I ask is because I've competed at the euros the past 4 years. I train with a current euro purple champ.
I'm not aware of a male european winning at Mundials recently - that would be an extremely rare achievement. Last I can recall is another former training partner of mine, Alexander Trans, who won purple super heavy at the 2010 Mundials.
What team do your friends fight for?

*Yes, I think you're full of shit, user, and I'm pretty confident I can prove it if you have the nuts to stay in this thread and answer my questions.

he's trying to be carbon neutral

>Weightclass at euros?
Think he cut down to -70kg instead of -76kg this time around, search the master divisions results for Triforce Exit and you'll find him.

>I'm not aware of a male european winning at Mundials recently
Happened in early to mid 2000's - twin brother of the guy mentioned above - don't know the exact year as I've only been training for 5 years myself. Think it was still under Brasa back then, but unsure.

Anyway, that should give you all the info you need to verify.

>Why is he rejecting the bluebelt when I work SO hard and still can't get anyone in a kimura?

Dat niqqa devaluing something you aspire to so highly is affecting you kunt.

>Think he cut down to -70kg instead of -76kg this time around, search the master divisions results for Triforce Exit and you'll find him.
Also, don't confuse him with Koji Shibamoto, and it's apparently spelled Tri-Force.

>fast yoga in pajamas disguised as fighting

PROTIP:

This user is right. In 2017 the belt system is used to keep rubes in the door to spend more money. Note additionally how much Gracies et al milk newbs for monthly subscriptions in cities.

fucking brazilians

Maybe he wants a differe t colour to match his shoes

>not color coordinating belt, shoes, gloves and purse
and don't come back until you have at least 10 salty bags.

Then don't let a white belt beat you? Don't be scared of competition

Bump for you. Please validate my five minutes of research, it was hard work.