When to switch to running?

I'm around 320 pounds, 5'9. I haven't exercised in years and all I do is sleep all day. So I'm pretty much never on my feet.

I recently got a treadmill and want to start walking but when should I start jogging? I don't think my knees, feet, ankles whatever can handle jogging. I don't have bad knees or anything.

I also have started eating healthy.

when you're about half your current weight

You're going to have to lose about 100 pounds before it is safe to jogging, even then you will have to ease into it to prevent injury.

Stay safe and keep at it my friend.

It's not something you should worry about for a long time, until you are a normal weight

Before that, if you want to get your heart rate up you can do elliptical, bike, swimming

try cycling or swimming first

start dieting (read the sticky)
+
walk slowly on a treadmill for 20 minutes a day until you are like 230lbs

Hell I plan on walking at least an hour a day at normal to medium pace. Too much too soon?

Should be ok desu, but if it starts hurting you'll have to stop for a while to recover which will set you back, I suggest just build up slowly, do 20 minutes every 6 hours or so, then bump it up to 30 if you're joints feel ok

Yeah. You'll risk injury and you'll get bored. Trust me. Good things take time.

nah you can walk freely

I was in a similiar situation 2 years ago. up to 145kg and all muscle had disappeared because I was depressed and lazy. Started taking long 1-2 hour walks outside. Don't know how much cardio I got but at least it got my metabolism going and I felt a lot more energetic. It's all about diet though.

Yeah. Try losing a lot of weight first. Eat around 1k kcal a day for a few months and see how much you lose. Should be around 50 kg easily, then start walking.

But I'm also a smoker so I think I'm fucked, though I have quit recently.. hopefully my stamina will come back.

yeah, lil too much IMO. You should take it slowly and gradually build up as you lose weight. You don't want to risk an injury and get discouraged. If you can, buy a pair of regulated dumbbells and can do many reps of some easy upper body exercises (lateral raises, DB flies, curls, tricep extensions), do not try any compounds right now. That could help you with some calorie burning

how the fuck do you get injured from walking? i fully understand not running because you bounce up and down and it's hard on the joints but the definition of walking is that you always have one foot on the ground

t. I've actually done this myself and aren't just repeating shit I read from the sticky

I've started lifting and jogging at 220 and was decently fit a while ago. Just let myself go for around 40lbs. Started lifting and jogging and it's definitely taking a toll on my knees, so I had to substitute it for cycling or swimming, depending on what I'm in the mood for.
Jesus Christ I didn't think it'll fuck me over this much.

I assume that OP has been a fucking veggie m8 who did nothing but sleep, eat and shit. Any sudden change of level of physical activity puts greater stress on his joints and his body not used to it, is more fatigued and injury-prone, especially knees and lower back. So it doesn't mean that he'll get injured while fucking walking but for example while bending over tying shoes. My mom is overweight, had some lower back problems and she could snap her shit in her back while picking something from the floor or so. I'm not saying that he will definitely get injured, no, but a sudden switch from veggie to marathon runner lifestyle would be a great shock for his body. You want to build up slowly. Walk for 20 minutes, then 30, then build up to 1 hour or so, then (after you lose some weight) start jogging. Motivation aspect is also very important. As I said earlier you don't want to get discouraged in the first few weeks by doing something beyond your current limits.

This is why no matter how hard the clients at my gym want, we always ALWAYS start them slow. It's great to be motivated, but it takes time for your joints and muscles to strengthen enough to not only hold weight, but to increase strain.

I love swimming, but we no longer have a pool, so the suggestion is null. Walking outside for 20 mins. a day and getting down to 28-30% bodyfat before starting jogging is a really good idea.

Hang in there /fat/bros. I've seen some people make it happen, and whenever I see heavy folks coming into the gym on their own time, I like to think that they're actually trying to do right by themselves.

I was a veggie once. My life was literally sitting on the computer for 16-24 hours, sleeping for 10-12. I left the house once a week to buy a week's worth of groceries.

What you're saying is true, but in my experience walking is light enough that it doesn't apply. My last and the only succesful attempt of changing my lifestyle started with walking. Before that I had gone on a jog/run multiple times. I played sports at a relatively high level all my childhood and teens so I had an idea of what exercise was. I would run 5k and force myself to do it even if I felt like my body was about to fall apart. Because that's what I did when I was in shape. Afterwards it took me like a week to recover and a month to run again because it was so fucking taxing on the body. So I definitely hear what you're saying about not doing too much too fast, but just in my experience walking on your own pace through the city or through the countryside you don't have to worry about injury. Calfs got a little sore at first but that was just regular doms.

Try riding a bicycle at the gym until you're down to 280 before you switch to anything on your feet

Pretty much this

Your diet must be shocking, literally please take my word, cut to 2000 cals a day (for now) you can have four very good sized and tasty meals at 500 cals each, or 3 500 meals and some snacks, or a small 200 cal breakfast, a 500 cal lunch, 750 for dinner and STILL have 550 left worth of snack for night time or whenever you feel the need that day.

Eat 2000 cals or under per day, track it with my fitness pal app, and you will lose weight, you must be on a lot more per day at the moment if you are that big.

But yeh, as this user says wait until you are about 160lbs - 170lbs (at the very least below 200) the go for it, until then just focus on diet and walking.

Good luck OP

if you want to lose weight just eat less calories
exercise is waste of time

bike a bike
ride an hour a day so that your breath is elevated but you are not going to have a heart attack

"Exercise is a waste of time"
-The Dumbest Cunt to ever grace this planet

Biking would be the move right now desu

no he's right, it's useless for weight loss.