Real talk, how much does overhead work stimulate pecs?

Will I look weird if all the pressing I do is overhead?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It doesn't.

it only works the upper pecs

ohp + dips would be fine imo

I've only overhead pressed for pretty much the last year. You wont look funny, but you wont look aesthetic. Also I have no chest at all.

yeah but what about the second part of that question?
I just read some Pavel books recommended in /thicc/ and he seems to think developped (lower) pecs are useless for a good physique, takes greek statues and old-time bodybuilders as examples.
Apparently Bill Starr (source of the 5x5 memes) thought flat and decline were useless though iirc he didn't ever aim for aesthetics and trained handegg players, who'd probably benefit more from incline since it's more similar to how you'd push something while standing/running/whatever it is gay americans do.

Overhead press working the pecs is a meme some retard made to justify doing a stupid lift that it's supposed to work delts but actually dont build aesthetics shoulders

I don't bench and still kept my big pecs, doing weighted dips is enough. OHP works chest just fine, and OHP has a better carryover to bench than bench to ohp

>t. Can't OHP

Alright so the routine is as follows
A:
Press 1 (OHP) 80%x5, 72%x5, 65%x5xAMSAP (As many sets as possible)
Vertical Row 80%x5, 72%x5, 65%x5xAMSAP (As many sets as possible)
DL 80%x5, 72%x5, 65%x5xAMSAP (As many sets as possible)
B:
Press 2 (Wide Grip btn) 80%x5, 72%x5, 65%x5xAMSAP (As many sets as possible)
Horizontal Row 80%x5, 72%x5, 65%x5xAMSAP (As many sets as possible)
Squat 80%x5, 72%x5, 65%x5xAMSAP (As many sets as possible)

so as you can see it's already pretty fucking high in volume which I guess means I shouldn't be adding accessory. hell, the original doesn't even have rows and rotating lifts, just Bent Press/DL every other day. should I add dips or something? There's already like 36 sets each day my senpaitachi. Would I be better off doing a steep-ish incline for press 1 and a btn wide grip for press 2?

Why are you dropping weight, and at arbitrary %s, every set?

Here's a better and classic routine doing what you're trying to do:

>5x5 increasing weight to a 5rm (start at 90% of true 5rm), 80% of 5rm 1x10 or AMRAP
>add 2.5kg weekly until stall

You are also recommended to OHP 3 x week rather than doing an A/B routine. BTNP increases starting drive, but it is unlikely that's limiting you in the press if you're not up to 70kg+. If you were you would also be recommended to go with SEATED Presses, i.e. seated OHP with normal hand spacing & bar on upper chest. This is better for increasing drive than BTNP.

The best case scenario is you look like an early 20th century strongman who did a lot of overhead pressing. But since your genetics aren't likely anywhere near the 99th percentile, you'll be a lot smaller than pic related.

Idk the backoff sets are Pavel's "hypetrophy" variant on the main program. The guys over at /thicc/ seem to think it's gr8, plus I like the volume. I've stalled pretty hard an now I want to do a hypertrophy routine, hence the high volume.
Yeah but I can't add 2.5kg/week otherwise I'd still be on my LP.
Is yours an OHP-only program as well? What's the name?

You will have no chest and look wack

daily reminder that small chest+big everything else
is aesthetic
chest is for women

forgot pic of Georg "natty god" Hackenschmidt

You're thinking of Pavel's 'Bear' training, which you're doing wrong.

Here's the real deal:

>2-3 days per week
>OHP and Deadlift ONLY
>Start cycle with 7rm
>1x5 with 7rm
>3-5 min rest
>1x5 with 90% of weight on bar
>3-5 min rest
>1x5 with 80% of starting weight
>1-1.5 min rest
>Continue doing this until you miss a rep, or up to 20 sets
>Stop at month and move onto a lighter program

My rec. was like Reg Park or Grimek styles (both often used a back off set after 5x5 or close to it).

>Yeah but I can't add 2.5kg/week otherwise I'd still be on my LP.

You can if you start at 90% of 5rm.

What weight are you using in your OHP? I press 117kg strict so know my shit.

Post body with timestamp

>117kg strict
fuark. mirin strength.
currently at lmao 64kg
idk mane this article gives a different version
t-nation com/training/customized-volume-training
>Another effective high volume program is the "Russian Bear" program I learned from Pavel Tsatsouline. Here's how it works: Start off by doing a hard set of five on an exercise. Don't pick your five-rep max. Pick a weight that you could do six to seven times with good form and stop at five reps.

Wait five minutes after the first set and do another set of five with 90% of the first set. After that set, wait 30-60 seconds and do a set of 5 with 80% of the first set. Keep doing sets of five with 80% of the first set and take one-minute breaks between each set. When you can no longer do five reps with good form, call it a day. This may happen after four sets or as many as fifteen. It really varies with the individual.

Since you're not training to failure and are using relatively light weights for most of the sets, you can do the Russian Bear program more often. For example, you could do it three times a week. Just take a day off between each workout.
did T-Nation just fuck it up? they're usually good.

>I press 117kg strict

LOL that's how much I deadlift. JDIMSA.

>t. doesn't OHP because he's self conscious about loading such a relatively low weight and dislikes the slower progression

if all the pressing you do is overhead you're going to have no chest and poor tricep development

it sure as hell works delts, but it's 90% front delts (which are also hit very hard by benching, especially closer grip benching or incline benching)

so it only hits what other presses already hit, but slightly harder

this is why a lot of BBing oriented routines neglect OHP entirely - why smash your front delts and only your front delts when you can do another type of press and get a more balanced chest, tricep, and delt stimulus?

in either case you will still need rear delt raises, side raises to finish off your shoulders if you want total development

probably works spectacularly for OHP, but that much volume for deadlifts 3x a week (especially conventional) is probably going to destroy most people and lead to nogains or injury

You're actually stupid as fuck lol my delts are sculpted as fuck just from military presses alone

post body big boy