Unsolicited Advice

Tell me about the time you received unsolicited advice and how you took it. Some dude told me that my squat was unbalanced. I thanked him and became aware of my dominate leg moving a lot of the weight.

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/how-to-deal-with-the-wise-guys/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm a DYEL, but I still know proper form.

I saw some new young guys doing squats in the gym the other day. They were swinging back and forth, the bar kind of wobbled, because they had a way too narrow grip. I suggested that they should try a wider grip, and the bar stopped swinging around and they said thanks.

just do it when it's really needed.

Dominant?

Was told I was going to hurt my back and was using to much weight which was why my deadlift was failing.

I thanked the person and then explained I was doing a penlay row not a deadlift.

The leg you push off of when you walk. Usually the same side as your dominant hand.

And they were like "what's that?"

jej

I was told that if i wanted to get more return calls for second dates that I should swallow after I give a blowjob instead of spitting it out. I thought it was kinda weird my mom just blurted that kind of advice out, but she has been really supportive of my gay lifestyle.

You have a dominant leg in the same way you have a dominant arm/hand.

Ya we ended up having a pretty good conversation.

>just do it when it's really needed

This

>bad OHP form when I was younger and dumber
>random guy comes up and tells me I'm retarded and my form is shit
>tells me exactly what to correct
>basically tell him to fuck off and mind his own business

>a few weeks later try out what he says
>turns out I was an idiot all along
>new form feels much better and OHP increases more steadily after that

It really doesn't matter how they take the advice at the time because they'll probably try it anyway. Just tell them if they have garbage form, could save them lots of trouble down the road

kek thanks user

How about you learn to be more polite?

I was doing close grip bench, and a guy asked to work in with me since he was gonna use the same weight.

In between sets, he picks up like a 10 lb dumbbell, and keeps keeps rotating his arms with it hanging at his sides. He just casually mentioned that if my wrists hurt from doing close-grip, then that really helps em between sets.

It was a great piece of advice. I still do it when I close-grip bench. Thanks, Mike.

the kek heard round the world

Tbh if someone gets unsolicited advice frequently, they're probably small, weak, and doing stupid shit.

Gave this grill at my gym unsolicited advice. We still talk.

>don't arch when benching
>do dumbbell bench to fix your right arm lifting first when benching (to anyone suffering from this just initiate the push with your weak arm)
>dont deadlift more than once a fortnight it takes 2 weeks for your lower back to recover
>if you want a bigger bench use the machines

I can't remember any more

I ignore all of it lol

I assumed he said it because the OP says "dominate" like a retard

While i was doing deadlifts, some old guy comes up to me and tells me I should be hyperextending my spine at the top of a deadlift. Then he proceeded to tell me how he injured his spine doing deadlifts.

This was around the time I started lifting. I was confused as shit about the whole thing

>Home town comercial gym
>Warming up DeadLift, 60kg.
>DYEL PT stops me and says that that is to much weight.
>Proceeds to lecture me about proper form for 5 min.
> Explains Romanian DL as if it was a proper DL, and that in DL you should not move your legs.
>Answer OK
>Load 2pl8s, give him 10 reps fueled with self-righteousness.

Anyway anybody knows who is pick related?

>2pl8s
wow you sure showed him user

>2pl8s
>not a warm up set

>> 41464767

We all start somewhere

I asked some guy to spot me once. I get to the last rep, and then he looks at me and says

>You should have asked your boy Donnie 2-Scoops to help you

I dropped the bar on my chest and have had gyno ever since. Worst unsolicited advice ever

A guy in the gym gave me unsolicitated advice and I briefly imagined the rest of our lives together.

This gif is pretty old shes probably a busted old hag by now

Yes, I have had it for a long time, but it just reappeared cleaning my hard drive, and I was wondering if there is more of her

Ooohbabybeast on Instagram. Something like that

Thank you, I'll consider your recommendation

What is a respectable DL?
Like if you see someone doing it you go "nice"

3 to 4 pl8s

180 kg, 4 plate. I personally wouldn't mire below 5 plate, 6 plate is okay-ish, but still a number that some dyels can pull without having muscular development

>squatting one day
>guy says I'm leaning too far forward, do it in the smith machine
>become extremely self conscious about my squat
>think I have to have a perfectly vertical torso
>lose a years worth of gains because a fucker who I've never seen squat told me I was doing it wrong

Do not ever offer unsolicited advice.

What do you mean?

t. .5pl8

This is all retarded advice, never speak to these people again.

Was struggling with 4 plate diddly.

Old Gym sage (ridiculously jacked dude in mid 50s) randomly came up and told me to try a mixed grip. I got my 4pl8diddlydo

Only people who give me unsolicited advice are DYEL. No idea why.

>in gym while on holiday in hueland
>warming up DL, get to 3pl8
>DYEL hueman mumbles something in huespeak and tosses a couple of clips near me

clips, for a warm-up 3pl8 DL, wtf?

another time back in burgerland some old black guy tells me to keep my chin up when squatting. I don't really mind, just sort of cringe internally a bit, I don't get why some people feel the need to offer advice to others who are clearly more advanced than them.

No.

5pl8 up gets mired

To mire 4pl8 it has to be for ten plus sets or for speed work or some shit

I give out unsolicited advice all the time. Sometimes people don't listen, and sometimes they do. I get positive feedback fairly often, so I keep doing it.

People ask me for OHP advice a lot since I press 2pl8 and upwards now

I'm a lanklet so if I see someone doing under 4pl8s I assume they just aren't trying. Probably 3+ for your average person

Some guy told me I have my back rounded during pendlay rows. I thanked him and lowered the weight. Started paying more attention to my back after that in other movements too and it turns out I need to work more on flexibility over all

i mean if you say to the average joe you were deadlifting 100kg or 140kg they'll be impressed, partly because it's a decent amount of weight and also because they have nothing to relate that to

4 pl8 is the minimum for a respectable DL.

3pl8 is child-tier.

Not even memeing.

>doing squats
>after a set, older guy on crutches comes over to me
>'your stance is too narrow, you should bring it out a bit more'
>stance was about shoulder width
>wat
>he tells me to bring my feet out more
>end up having each foot about 5 inches outside my shoulder width
>feels incredibly awkward and difficult to hit depth (doing high bar)
>do a few reps until he's satisfied and hobbles away because I'm too much of a pussy to tell him to fuck off
>immediately go back to doing what I did before, feels much more comfortable
>later learn that guy was a Crossfit coach who injured his knee squatting

I'm not memeing, either.

Well wide stance is much more comfortable for me and the only way I can reach decent depth. It really depends on your frame and flexibility.

>doing romanian deadlifts
>warming up with 100kgs
>using hook grip but really sweaty day
>old fart behind me watching
>sees bar almost slip out of my hands
>i tape my thumbs for better hook grip
>he tells me to use 'switch grip'
>I tell this retard im not doing deadlifts
>he goes yeah straight leg deadlifts
>he also says once I get to some real weight I will have to use mixed grip
>says 'take it from me, I know'
>I tell him Im using hook grip he doesnt understand

Its not like I cant hold 100kg in my hands, I usually do 150kg rdl for reps if the bar has good knurling. The bar slips out of my hands faster on rdl though because the bar runs along my leg.
Who even uses mixed grip for rdls?

>be lifting for 5 months
>talking with gymbro about fitness just outside of uni library
>random iranian looking guy approaches
>AY U GUYZ TALKING BOUT FIDNESS
>uh yep
>AY WELL I CANT TELL DIS ENUF TO NEWBIES
>FORGET ABOUT ACCESSORIES
>ONLY COMPOUND MAN
>SQUATS, DEADLIFTS AND BENCH
>NOTHING ELSE IMPORTANT
>he keeps talking about his form for what seems like eternity
>he finally leaves after repeatedly suggesting we've gotta run
that was kinda it

Son please come home.

kek

In real life, this On Veeky Forums 16 pl8 because I'm YUUUGE

Curling helicopters is the minimum standard bro

I only offer totally unsolicited advice if it's something extremely obvious, dangerous, and advice is unlikely to do more harm than good. Like if someone is looking at ceiling during squats or doing suicide grip on bench.

If I'm working in with someone I might give a little more unsolicited advice. Told a HS kid at my gym not to bench straight vertical, for example.

I always ask first. Like "hey do you mind a pointer?"

I like unsolicited advice if it's from someone who really lifts. Gotten some good form tips, e.g. tuck in elbows on rows, bar path on squats. But I hate unsolicited advice from fat/old retards, like "lifting heavy will kill you."

>Dumbbell bent over row
Guy nicely comes, introduces himself and tells me my form will injure me once I hit more weight, corrects me, and shows me how to. He's a personal trainer that gives advice to many people without being annoying. Thanks Daniel.

Some guy I asked to spot me told me not to hold my breath. I still do it.

Wow I never realized how thin his forearms looked from the side.

I was just reading this article before I came here. Good stuff for shit like this.
stronglifts.com/how-to-deal-with-the-wise-guys/

Someone gave me advice on my squat form, and we ended up becoming good friends.

Another time someone said I was lopsided on bench press, but desu it's hard for me to tell how balanced I am on that exercise, so I'm not sure how to follow that advice.

some older guy commented on my chest fly form once and told me he had to get surgery on his shoulder because he used to do what I did. I followed his advice and my form improved.

Why the fuck would you even curl? Just hookgrip and keep a stiff arm. Dude is going to tear a cep.

What were you doing? Explain in excruciating detail exactly what was wrong and what you did to fix it. My chest flies feel like shit.

4 plates
3 plates is the minimum where I assume the person knows something about lifting and isn't just at the gym because it's trendy

>Why the fuck would you even curl?
fanservice

there was this loud overcompensating turbomanlet dadbod 40 y.o. retired front singer for a shit band that gave bad unsolicited advice to me 3 times.

I lift twice as much as him, so I think he does it because he's single and I lift with my cardiobunny gf and he needs to show "superiority"

you should keep your chin up while doing squats though

You head should be in a completely neutral position and if that means looking down then look down.

I went too far back so it worked my front delts and put a lot of pressure on my shoulder joints instead of just keeping the pressure on the pecs.

Do not do this. Neutral or slightly tilted down, or you'll fuck your neck/back.

I always keep my head level and horizontal even though I go atg (hi-bar) and I've never had any injuries

If troll not funny. Keep that shit that can get people hurt on /b/
If not trolling you're a moron and probably weak.
See

idk what to tell you man. I squat over 3pl8 for reps and when I originally watched some form videos starting out they always showed the guy keeping his head level to the ground so that's how I've done it and haven't had any issues with it

That's still neutral, that's fine. Just don't stick your chin upwards towards the ceiling like is suggesting.

>another time back in burgerland some old black guy tells me to keep my chin up when squatting.

lol had that same "advice" given to me by a manlet a while ago. I said "nah" and turned my back on him, couldn't even bring myself to be polite after the guy interrupts me (was loading plates and doing warm-up sets fast) to say this shit to me.
fuck off retard

to me "keep your chin up" just means don't tuck it into your chest. I didnt mean to imply you should literally aim it at the ceiling

>doing suicide grip on bench.

the fucking personal trainers in my gym teach their clients this form. I don't even bother trying to fix this behavior since half of the gym does it.

I offer unsolicited advice every now and then. But only if somebody is doing the same mistake I used to make and it led to injury or years of plateau. Been doing it for over 20 years and I'm decently strong so I usually know what I'm talking about.

The name alone should do the trick in keeping people away from it

>Doing pistol squats if you aren't serving a life sentence in prison
Just do normal squats you fucking tool.

>bench straight vertical
I don't quite understand what you mean.

Just sounds badass, like deadlifts.

The bottom line is that your neck position should be neutral. More or less in line with your spine. Some people look look UP at the ceiling or DOWN at their feet. That is a ticket to snap city. I guess if you're looking forward that probably isn't so bad, but not what most people would call keeping your chin up as said.

I feel like you kind of HAVE to give unsolicited advice if someone is about to go snapicity

>this fat old guy saw me deadlifting 3 pl8
>tells me I need to get a KIDNEY BELT
>or else im gonna get a hernia and rupture my kidney
>tells me to deload to 1pl8
Pic related, it's him

One time I was on a machine and this seedy 5'7" dyel who constantly harasses women at my gym shuffles up to me and asks
>hey are you working out?
With at weird little smirk. Creeped me right the fuck out and I told the person at the counter that the weird little perv was scaring me. Haven't seen him since and the only attention I get now are from >6'2" chads.

Only one time, some roid monkey told me I drop too fast when I squat and I'd hurt my back. I said oh really and then a few minutes later ask him something else, I told him I deloaded recently and he told me he never takes time off in the gym(because of roids probably) he asked if I was making progress and I told him how I gained 20 pounds in 6 months and stayed relatively lean(12-14% bodyfat)

Anyway I've never hurt my back from squatting and dropping that fast which in my opinion wasn't too fast. I think I squat slower now cause the weight I use is heavier.

It's relative. I remember thinking I'd never squat 4pl8. Basically I'm impressed if they deadlift 5pl8, squat 4, or bench 3

This. I could do 3pl8 the first time I ever diddlied.

sumo doesn't count, buddy

and for how long did you practice sports/lift before that? or how fat were you?

T H I C C

405 at 180 lbs is considered elite.stop trolling you cunt. also don't use a belt. that is for fags trying to boost numbers.

His kidneys look jacked tho.

I see absolute shit form all the time at the gym, and it's mostly from people doing light weights. I never say anything because 1) I don't really look like I lift in the clothes I wear, 2) I don't want people commenting on my form (people have said the most retarded in the past), so I don't want to be hypocritical. I'm fine with giving out advice when people ask for it (a few people have asked for OHP advice when they see me pressing 185 as a pretty skinny person), but I wouldn't interrupt someone else's workout to add a comment they might not even want.

Ah I see. Apologies for the miscommunication. I've seen people in my gym squat looking straight up like a turkey in a rain storm, so "keep your chin up" always conjures that mental image for me in regards to squats.

Started as a 300lb hambeast with legs like tree trunks which I presume helped a lot.

I get this reference but why did you make it?

kek, every time

Good, let natural selection do it's work

>405 at 180lbs is considered elite

Why do people who don't lift post on this board?

How do you correct your dominate arm doing more work in a bench press?

Barbell flys

Syncing lock