QTDDTOT

My little brother maxed out on the dumbbells for his dumbbell deadlift at his community college's crappy gym (no barbells, mostly machines). He still has a few more months before he joins me in the Fall at my university gym that actually has barbells. Should I have him increase the reps or sets until then? Maybe have him do straight leg dumbbell deadlifts or leg curls afterwards?

My joints pop and make weird fucking sounds when I lift shit up. They act normal when I pull shit. What do?

That'd be an option.
You could also go another route and have him do glute bridges and good mornings since he's probably too weak in those areas to max out he'll get some new gains. Could keep deadlifting if he wants.

Should I eat my proteins only on lifting days or on rest days, too?

I was doing leg raises while I had a loaded bar in bench position because I saw Badr Hari do it.

Does the weight matter? I had two plates on there at first but then I went back later and just had a plate.

And it felt really fucking awesome and easy. But is it an actual legitimate exercise or is the weight unneeded? Ie, would I get the same benefits as no weight as I would with weight?

Oh I'm still going to have him deadlift, I'm just not sure if we should have him increase reps or sets. Maybe have him "greyskull" it and make him work towards 10 reps and then add a new set for each 10 he gets. I'm going down to see him this friday so I'm going to see if they have a roman chair there for back extensions. Glute bridges could work if they don't have a roman chair though.

Rest days too. Your body is build muscle while you rest.

>start doing cardio even more regularly, finishing off lifting days with some
>nudging caloric intake down as well
>cut suddenly feels like it stalls

What the shit?

>finishing off lifting days with some as well as doing them on rest days*

>>cut suddenly feels like it stalls
What? Do you mean your lifts feel like they're stalling because of your cut?

if you can only have abs at low bf% why dont skinny people have any?

Among other things, lack of muscle mass. Abs definition shows better with a combination of mass and low BF%.

What is the laziest form of cardio, but which also is effective?

Why are my forearms bent, it looks weird as fuck.

Recline bicycle

>laziest

Jogging

>most effective

Swimming

bike riding or sprint intervals

Glute bridges are where it's at. Get him to do those and the roman chair.

Just those two alone would raise his deadlift. Plus you can load him up with more dumbells.

But yeah, it's a shitty situation with the dbs and deads though. Nobody really wants to do a huge amount of reps on that. You can make him and it'd work, but it would fucking suck for him.

Besides the sldl and rdl, you could try one legged deadlift as well. Which is perfect for dbs.

But how does that work because alot of muscular guys dont work abs at all

>doing squats, deadlifts, OHP
>thinking your core is doing nothing to keep your body from collapsing under the weight
please tell me you're new

>Plus you can load him up with more dumbells.
LOL, just had the mental image to strap him up with some burlap sacks to his arms and fill them with more dumbbells each time.

But seriously though, thanks for the tips. Just 2-3 more months and I can get him out of there and into a real gym.

What program should i do? I want to go for hypertrophy but also focus on lifts. I am currently starting off on nsuns.

Are you just starting lifting? If not, then do 5/3/1.

well i been lifting for a bit. But my numbers arent all that high. still go for 531? is 531 "aestethics"/hypertrophy? Or will i end up looking like a fat powerlifter.

What's a good brand for protein powder?
Also how do I improve my ohp?

Do SL 5x5 for about 6 months until you can actually lift, then do PHUL or an intermediate PPL. Also, READ THE FUCKING STICKY!

It's an intermediate program for hypertrophy and strength. You get aesthetics by cutting after building muscle mass. If you haven't been lifting for at least 4-6 months with a good strength program, it won't do you much good. Do SS/SL first, then look for a good hypertrophy program. You won't turn into a fatty power lifter if you don't eat like a fatty power lifter.

>Also how do I improve my ohp?
Keep doing OHP. Increasing your bench numbers will help also your OHP numbers.

Are there any Veeky Forums cooks I should read or watch?

How to stop being a pussy and start lifting heavier weights?
Right now it feels heavy for me, but I feel like everyone is laughing behind my back.

Focus on your own damn program, no one gives a shit.
Do NOT sacrifice technique for bigger numbers. Do your work.

Once in a while throw a max set, or 90% for a double.

Myprotein

>Do NOT sacrifice technique for bigger numbers. Do your work.
Thank you.
>Once in a while throw a max set, or 90% for a double.
What does this mean?

Lift. Condition yourself to the fear through repeated exposure. You'll get used to it.

t. psychologist

>psychologist
Regular or couch psychologist?

Means that if you feel like you still have decent energy after your work sets you can try to test out your 1 rep PR, or 2-3 rep PR with 90% or 1 rep max weight.

This brings me to

Make sure your technique is on point, take glucosamine.

>41470767
Regular. We don't really even use couches, it makes patient communication too impersonal.

newfag here
I'm looking to get a set of dumbbells for home. What are some things that I should watch out for? What weight should I get?

get a gym membership instead. you cant make progress if you lift the same weight

I'm doing an intermittent fast where I wake up at 10pm and eat around 8-9am. Then go to sleep at 2pm (so 1 meal a day). I got some BCAAs a while back and what is the best way to take them? Right now I take them around 3am when I'm fasting. I read that is a good time to take them, but idk if that counts as food or if it's on the same level as black coffee/water. Secondly, is it better to take them intraworkout or during a fast like I currently am?

Eating anything that total comes up to under 10 calories during the non-eating phase is fine and doesn't count against your fast.

In order to cut down, do you mix strenght and cardio or do you leave cardio for rest days?

Osgood-Schlatter

anybody dealt with this? its given me quite a bit of trouble recently although i have squatted for over a year without any trouble.

i had OS by age 10ish and since it has hardly been a problem but its started to hurt me again

wat do

Currently cutting, If I eat enough protein in a day (150g or so) but I spend 1 - 2 hours on a bike presumably burning a decent amount of calories, do I need to eat more protein or can I just consume an extra 500 or so calories of anything I want?

Im currently running a PPL split but my bench is fucking pathetic (80kg x 5 or 175lb x 5) in comparison to my other lifts.

Im really keen on getting it up to 100kg (225lbs) and was wondering if you guys think i should stay doing ppl or switch to a routine with a more frequency?

Any tips would be appreciated

What are the best excercises to build size on hamstrings? My legs are pretty big and the front and sides are defined, but I pretty much have no hamstrings and it looks shit.

Also, Veeky Forums approved discord channels

Doing an attempt at keto and trying to make it, I thought the keto flu was supposed to make you tired, not feel really sick. Also, all my shits are on fire, is that a side effect? Let's say I was allergic to eggs, is eating them every breakfast safe to stay in keto?

I have pretty bad gyno. Like even after losing 20 lbs I still have tits that are proportionally the same. How do I effectively lose that fat?

Also any hypertension fags in here? What type of cardio do you do?

Should i squat on days i deadlift?

Would lifting twice a week with increased volume (say 4x15) be a good way to progress whilst cutting down my lifting days?

>wat do
post butt

>can tell I'm losing fat
>gaining muscle
>weight doesn't budge one way or the other

I'm just stuck here hovering at 6' 255 for the last 4 months

How do you know it's time to move to an intermediate program? Been on SS for about 6 months and my lifts have stalled and I dont think I can lift any heavier.

My traps are huge and my OHP is roughly just over half my bench. Should I OHP just once a fortnight if I lift twice a week to allow my chest to catch up?

can I do planks everyday?

drink more water. count your calories meticulously. if you don't already have a scale, get one.

Shoulder hypermobility / throwing question: I was throwing a baseball with friends yesterday and shoulder was killing me after. I think this is a problem with my throwing form. At the same time I'm trying to do a SL 5x5 program to leave the skellybro life behind. Will OHP help combating my shoulder hypermobility? If so, should I avoid playing catch until I can OHP a certain weight?

When you cannot recover from Monday's workout in time to advance on Wednesday's. This is individual for each lift, for example you may need intermediate programming for squat but not bench.

yes

4x15 is terrible for strength and low frequency is terrible for hypertrophy. pick one or the other

If you're a novice it's fine. Don't do your own programming.

Strength isn't the primary goal of PPL. If strength is your goal, you're on the wrong program.

I'm finishing up on SS- squats and deads are still progressing pretty linearly, but my presses (especially OHP) are starting to stall. I've already deloaded OHP and bench once. Is there some sort of way I can do intermediate programming for my presses but still get the linear progression for squats and deads? It doesn't help I'm a lanklet

In which case your bf% should drop. Another good indication is your waist:hip ratio, it gives a better indication than weight or bmi alone. If anything you should be pleased- you're in the dream zone of losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously, it'll get shitty when you can't do that and have to decide whether to cut to lose more fat, or bulk to break a plateau

RDLs/SLDL/DL- basically deadlift variations are pretty good. Squats work, as do isometric work like nordics (nice to do at the end of a workout)

Yes
do intermediate programming for your presses and novice for your squat/dead, I fail to see your confusion

You're probably weak all around and your stabilizing muscles just can't do what they are supposed to do
I had similar issues in the beginning too, as I got stronger they just disappeared
You should probably be careful though, and make sure you don't break form to lift weights

The more I lift weights the weaker I get. Why this?

Eat more, count your calories, sleep more
Don't overtrain
Track both your calories and results

I'd bet money you are not doing most of these things.

As in just run like 5/3/1 or similar for OHP and bench on their respective days? What would be an ideal intermediate routine for them?

Will a plant based diet help with my acne (or whatever is wrong with my skin)? I know some people say it's just your hormones bro. Well if that's the case then won't changing my diet change my hormones?

Good beginner routine for a sis? The ones listed in the sticky might not be suitable for a total newbie.

Yes, they are.

I have the same problem. Deload for OHP worked, but progress is slow. Just ordered some microplates today. I think volume is the key to get bench up, which routine is best?

also, if I add db bench press, which weight should I choose? I'm at 57.5kg Bench Press x5, soo 25 - 30kg DBs per hand? Is there a significant difference?

Do you feel snap city instantly? I'm dyel and was deadlifts get lmao2pl8 but I rushed my form because I was an idiot and felt odd and kinda bouncy. I'm a bit worried I am a resident of snap city without even knowing it.

DB is a wee bit harder because stabilizing and such, common recommendation is to use 85% of BB bench press weight and work your way up to a comfy working weight.

It feels like I'm being electrocuted in my inner right elbow during OHP. Anything I can do to fix this? Its only during OHP.

I got a bag of serious mass, mass gainer. Will a scoop blend well in the shaker or do I need to blend it?

At what weight can I expect the double overhand to start failing?

Hey I train at the gym 5xWeek

3 days I follow a basic strenght routine + accesories
2 days I do accesory stuff for climbing, core, conditioning and supplement lifts.

Thing is I've been hitting bis + tris (3x8-10) everyday now (with different exercises) and I don't know if this is the correct way to approach arm hypertrophy, muscles don't really feel sore.

what do you think?

What's a good muscle mass %?

I used a body tracker today that told me I have 39 kg of my 75 kg bodyweight as muscle.

That's 52%. (I have 7.5% bodyfat)

Good or bad?

Or useless without more context?

>I have 7.5% bodyfat

That's what the tracker told me. I've always been really really skinny and only recently went into "normal" BMI after working out a lot.

pic. now.

Im down to 150 lbs bc i stopped eating much im 6'0 im gonna start lifting calculators say my bmr is 1700 is 2200 calories enough to start without getting too fat for no reason

Here.

My legs are also skinny AF so keep that in mind.

Was the tracker way off?

not same user but those ain't 7.5 in any way or form. not saying you're fat or anything, but nooooooooooope

I'm actually very happy to hear that. What would you assess my bf% to be?

I do an upper-lower split as ULxULxx, can I train biceps on all of my workout days to specifically bring them up as they're lagging, or just stick to them on upper days?

How do I reverse scapular winging?

Don't worry about it, I get them too. Its literally called "joint noise" and as long as there is no pain it doesnt mean anything.

How do I begin going to the gym

Should I go alone or get a pal

Do I need a trainer

how do I get enough calories and protein

Can I get beyond ottermode with calisthenics

Am I gay

>eat two meals a day
>8 hours apart from eachother

is this considered IF?

I just have breakfast, and dinner, usually around 700 calories each

read the sticky

>How do I begin going to the gym
By getting your ass to the gym

>Should I go alone or get a pal
It's easier to get your ass to the gym if you have an external motivator but it's fine without anyone else

>Do I need a trainer
No

>how do I get enough calories and protein
Eat shit with enough calories and protein

>Can I get beyond ottermode with calisthenics
Never done calisthenics so I have no fucking clue

>Am I gay
Probably

How do I stop thinking everyone is judging me when at the gym? I tried going in the local gym at my uni yesterday but when I opened the door everyone stared at me so I panicked and ran away.
Please help, I can't live like this anymore

>How do I begin going to the gym
you just go
>Should I go alone or get a pal
pal surely helps, but not needed
>Do I need a trainer
for initial form checks if you're a bloody noob yes
>how do I get enough calories and protein
eat enough calories and protein
>Can I get beyond ottermode with calisthenics
technically yes of course. will take you AGES though for the good stuff. still good for mobility and shit
>Am I gay
absolutely

They are judging you. When people say "haha, everyone's just there for their workout, nobody notices you", it's a complete lie.

255 lbs DL for 3 reps

How's my form? I was told my hips are too high.

day 2 of calorie counting. do the cravings go away? do they get easier?

This, everyone is judging everyone.