Squats, ATG or not?

So I've been stalling out at 275x4 squats, at parallel, for the past few weeks. No biggie, but it's been stressing me out. After a failed deload->reload attempt, my gym bro suggested I deload (as far down as 2 plates if needed) and do working sets ATG instead of parallel. I've been doing this, and I had to go down to 205 just to push up a decent set from working so low. I also had another person (and Veeky Forums memeing) that ATG all the time is harder on the knees, and unnecessary if you aren't powerlifting or competing.

My question is, is ATG squatting worthwhile, or should I just be going to parallel like I've been doing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
youtu.be/q-Fxq_q5y9g
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oops. Don't go too low it's bad on your joints.

Not really necessary unless you're a competition lifter. Slightly below parallel is gonna give you the results you need.

>ATG all the time is harder on the knees, and unnecessary if you aren't powerlifting or competing.

You sure he didn't meant olympic weightlifting/competing?

The only time I don't do high bar ATG squats is when I do front squats. No problems here.

How much weight is this? Too many types of plates.

squatting to or slightly below parallel with neutral pelvis and lumbar > squatting 'atg' with buttwink and lumbar flexion

the vast majority of people lack the anthropometry, mobility and technique to squat extremely deep without compromising the low back

Don't do it if you're doing lowbar, otherwise, knock yourself out.

1 plate is 20kg

This, my low back hurts a lot or just more sore when i do squats below parralel

ATG is pretty important on front squats imo. Mechanically you should be as vertical as possible doing them.

Doing toddler squats and holding for a minute or longer works fucking wonders for depth and mobility squatting btw. I used to really struggle with squats prior to doing these.

There's like 10,000 different types of plate designs. You can't always tell how heavy they are if you can't see it written on the side of it.

Lmao, this puts everything into perspective, I have always been squatting ATG and do 3 pl8s now, shit must be a great deal harder than your parallel "just fuck my knees up" bullshit

why would parallel fuck up your knees but ATG not? you got past parallel on both styles

How the fuck does one do atg squats with long ass femurs and torso?

I'm really keen on the front squat and going all the way down but my form is shit simply because my body is not cut for it. Low bar and high bar seem difficult on atg too as long as I am not in some weird sumo stance.

What can I do?
>Yes, the form is irreparable when going atg

Not him, but stopping above parallel puts all the pressure on the knees. If you break parallel, your hips take the pressure of catching the weight. There is a frequently posted chart about sheer forces on your knees that shows this, you could google it.

the olympic way is the only way my friend
youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw

also this

>geared APA/NAPF or any non IPF records
All of those would be red flags to IPF
Just make sure knee is above hip joint and it's ok going Oly depth eithout flexibility or while not competing it's just too much of a hassle to keep good form

going as deep as possible is less of a hassle because you never have to worry about hitting depth.

Most people on this board make the mistake of stalling then deloading and trying the same fucking thing over again. If you tried it once and it didn't work, what makes you think it'll happen any differently?

Don't deload just to deload. Have an actual plan.

Consider that you may have to change your volume along with your technique. E.g. if you got to where you are doing 3x5 parallel, consider that you could build back up doing a higher volume routine.

Lots of new/dumb strength lifters make the mistake that they NEVER do any volume work and stick to sets of five.

you can do volume with sets of five...

>all those different styles of plates for the exact same weight from one fucking brand
Jesus fuck.

At least they stuck with only two colors? lol

You could, but it'd be shit.

nah, most powerlifting programs work with sets of 3-8.
they're just at weights low enough that you can do a good amount of volume with them.

i started making best progress when i started to listen to my body and not others. was stuck at 55 kg OHP for few months before saying fuck it and started doing singles/2/3 reps with it at most and ever since it has been improving steadily. haven't been stuck for more than 2 weeks at a weight and it's already up to 70 kg.

>tfw want a better ass but cant deadlift due to wrist and ankle

When I do front squats I go ATG + paused. When I do back squats, nope.

youtu.be/q-Fxq_q5y9g

Not op but can my sQuAdS get a form check please

Don't squat atg doing lowbar famjam

Your hip bone should be parallel to your knee or just a little lower. Dude in that pic is going lower than necessary. ATG is a meme. That being said it is still possible to not go low enough.

You're arching the fuck out of your back on the ascent, not a problem now but it will lead to injury when you're doing heavier weight.

t. My roommate did the same thing