/owg/

Sup brahs?

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Owg is dead. Sad to say. We can try to keep it alive but Veeky Forums is just first year lifters again

To be fair, when the largest contributor to the threads was blueshoes - a mental Canadian with a mom high up in politics who could only power snatch 70kg in an overweight condition - it was dead from the start.

I can split-style c&j 150kg, but even I understand the sport of WL is fucked. It's completely unattractive to novices and in 2017 the only way you can compete in the sport is to start from childhood while living in a country with state sponsored doping (China, Russia, EE, ME, Asia, etc).

My money is it being removed from the olympics very soon. It does nothing in ratings and the stench of hormone use is greater than other sports.

We need an American to break through in the sport to get proper exposure.

I don't think that even that will save weightlifting. American recently broke heaviest raw squat. But that didn't get people doing powerlifting

What we need is to make it easier to preform this stuff. You can learn how to squat from 20 different YouTube channels. Best weightlifting videos are 10 years old with piss poor audio quality

That'll get rid of the barrier to entry to be on par with powerlifting.

>That'll get rid of the barrier to entry to be on par with powerlifting.
that'll never happen

powerlifting is popular because the only mobility requirement is to not being a quadriplegic, the basic requirements to do a snatch with just the bar is 10x of that of powerlifting

Won't happen because the US doesn't have state sponsored doping at youth level. If the US did they would be winning golds in 2024.

Consider China: a complete nonentity in WL with no history, culture or interest - until they tossed money and drug research at the athletes. Unsurprisingly they now win everything.

Besides the lack of interest, the biggest reason for its soon to be removal will be US interests trying to strip golds from Russia. Step 1 was the OC going hard after them for drugs.

also the boom of crossfit has been huge for weightlifting

>the basic requirements to do a snatch with just the bar is 10x of that of powerlifting

I'm the 150kg split c&jer.

PL may allow broken down fat fucks to win medals, but WL is just as problematic. The sport requires you to be an exact physical type to be competitive.

The squat style (i.e. WL from the late 1950s onwards) requires an exact physical type or you can't ever expect to compete: Wrong femur length? You are fucked son and will never be even an average WLer using modern form.

This isn't talked about a lot, but it limits a huge portion of Caucasians and blacks physically. By contrast a majority of Asiatics and Middle Easterners have correct femurs.

(This is commonly talked about in pre-1970s WLing literature, but has fallen out of vogue. I suspect the Chinese noticed this and this is why they put so much money into youth WL and drugs for the athletes.)

>You can learn how to squat from 20 different YouTube channels. Best weightlifting videos are 10 years old with piss poor audio quality

That's a shame. Torokhtiy has so many good videos for weightlifting, but everything is in Russian. It's all captioned, but I feel people miss out on learning from him because they click the video, hear a foreign language, and turn it off.

Don't kid yourself. No one is putting kids into WL due to Crossfit and no Crossfit 'athlete' has ever set records in WL nationally or otherwise.

i'm talking about raw mobility

the requirements to low bar/ bench/ deadlift properly with minimal weight are borderline non existant

the requirements to snatch or clean or jerk properly are full body

i'm not saying they are setting world records but the popularity of the sport isn't defined by a crossfitter getting a record it's definined by how many people participate in the sport and crossfit is increasing that number

Make your own.

There's no one doing this on youtube with any ability. You have even make some adbucks.

Replace it with Olympic CrossFit and Ameriturds will flock to it like hungry flies.

Someone doing a shittiy snatch at a SWPL $100/month Crossfit gym in San Francisco isn't participating in the sport.

'Participating' is watching, competing, taking an active interest in. There's been no growth to Anglo WLing from Crossfit. The UK team, for instance, recently was on the verge of losing most of its funding.

maybe in your country and where you live but in Australia crossfit clubs frequently send lifters to train and participate in weightlifting, the female representative last year came third in the crossfit finals or something

female olympic* representative

>crossfit clubs frequently send lifters to train and participate in weightlifting

UGH. That's like saying some cunt* kicking a football with a paid skills coach is 'participating' in Premier League Football.

>*I am disappoint to see an Aussie not use the word CUNT.

By the way, to emphasis how bad of a shape British WLing is in:

>Only one athlete was at the European Championships this year: Webster 94kg 148/189, 16th

Webster is a great athlete, but has no chance of improving because Britain drug tests so fiercely.

have you guys watched weightlifting fairy kim bok joo? it is really cool and i really liked it
it is about cute 5'9 korean girl that is into her early 20
she is into owg and that is important part of the show but what really matter are her first loveaffairs
must watch guys

should i always listen to my coach? lately ive been missing days and i want to make up for it on rest days but he tells me not to

Depends on his coach, but as a general rule, always trust your coach.

Your*