Martial Arts

No, this isn't weaboo shit.

I need to get out of the house and join some sort of social activity, and I've always wanted to learn how to defend myself, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and look into adult's beginner martial arts.

Does anyone here have any experience with a similar situation? What type of martial arts would be best / easiest to get into as an adult? Is there anything in particular to watch out for?

Extra bonus points if you can make a recommendation specific to the Fort Wayne, Indiana area.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SGpDVCkhtD4
graciejiu-jitsufortwayne.com/what-is-gjj
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if a girl placed her foot in my face like that i would be in the dojo 24/7

I guess I should add, I'm obviously not expecting anything like pic related as a beginner, nor does it even look like practical self-dense.

This thread will 100% devolve into people shitting on other people's martial arts preference. I'd say try boxing.

Kickboxings good for when you are on your feet. Learn Jewjitsu as well and you'd be a machine.

I've considered MMA before, but I've understood that to be a more advanced thing.

I haven't seen just regular boxing around here

But, then again, I haven't looked either.

MMA is the crossfit of martial arts, unless you get a really talented coach. Which is unlikely.

Do Taekwondo. Mostly chicks 14-mid twenties

I would recommend judo or BJJ or the combination of the two.

>Mostly chicks 14-mid twenties
That sounds like a plus

Really? Jujutsu is kind of archaic nowadays. Which school?

Did you mean to write Brazilian JJ?

do boxing and judo

Is there a childs class aswell?

Well fuck.

Im trying to look up these recomendations to see whats available in my area, and this seems like its going to be impossible on a 2nd shift Mon-Sat work schedule.

Wrestling

I started Judo a year ago and im 26. Only thing is that lifting heavy weights and martial arts dont go well to together. Judo requires nimble and agile body for perfect technique.

depends entirely on the gym and trainer. you can have the most outstanding tae kwon-do trainer ever or the worst mcdojo. try a few things, see what you like and stick with it.

also stay the hell away from anything that has a black belt guarantee.

Seconded.
Just know there is no best martial arts form but rather it's a combination of several forms.
To start out I say try boxing, muay thai, and some form of grappling like wrestling, judo, or BJJ.

I did taekwondo for 4 years, then MMA for 3 years

Please don't do taekwondo

youtu.be/SGpDVCkhtD4

Navy seal on self defense

Synopsis
1. Concealed carry
2. BJJ
3. Wrestling/boxing/Muay Thai
Power gap
99999. Traditional martial arts

It seems like BJJ is the way to go.

This is the closest thing I can find in my area:
graciejiu-jitsufortwayne.com/what-is-gjj
And coincidently its the first program Ive seen with morning classes offered thankfully.

Is this closer to BJJ or traditional JJ? Ive honestly never heard of BJJ before this thread.

Gracie jiu-jitsu is bjj

Go on YouTube and watch the Gracie challenges. They used to fight anyone from any discipline to prove that BJJ was the best. Gracie family is essentially the reason why MMA became a thing.

Awesome. I know where Im going to go then.

Thanks guys!

>tfw the only places in my town teach meme martial arts
>tfw can't just learn boxing and wrestling

as an adult I'd go into something specific
MMA is literally learning three different skillsets at the same time, boxing or karate will get you faster progress

I'm 28. Would it be practical to start training kickboxing and judo, or do one at a time?

Learn to shoot and frequent your local range. That's a social activity that will actually help you protect yourself.

If you've got work, studies, and/or kids just pick one and later stray into the other later.

>no this isn't weaboo shit
there's no reason to be embarrassed user

jiujitsu refers to bjj in common speech today

judo is has too high of an injury rate in my opinion although the flip side of that is that it's a highly effective martial art

>persue interest in martial arts
>qt in class
>realize I like feet
Welp, I did learn something going there. Haven't trained in months, want to check out other places, just have other shit going on right now.

just pick one

there's really no point in training multiple disciplines while you're still a beginner or even intermediate

>persue
i always thought you were american or british

GOOBER

Asking the real question

I did karate for 5 years. It's pretty good exercise. The cardio is ridiculous. As for actually learning how to fight, it's not that great. There's no contact so you have to pull your punches. I realized how dangerous that kind of practice is when I got into a real fight and pulled my punches reflexively.

The people there will mostly be dweebs so try not to get too attached. Go there only if you're the most alpha, or else you're just a dweeb too.

She was cute man, this qt hipsterish girl. She just about teeped me in the jaw and I was like "dang, she has cute feet"...Then realized I had a foot fetish.

So I don't know a ton about this but if it's just for self defense you should look into grappling. Like BJJ or something. I'm a street fight or attacker situation they're more than likely not going to be expecting anyone to take them down and break a limb.

you just did a shity semi contact style like wado, or shitsu or gojiu ryu , go try some kyokushin its full contact you will love it

bjj is shit for self defence . most schools the most common thing they do is pullin guard , in an intenece situation you will allways run t mommy so you will pull guard and then get slamed in your head and into oblivion

not really a fetish you just thought she had qt feet

Mma gyms are often shit. Start with muay thai, bjj, boxing, or even judo. Some karate places may work too, kyushin karate for instance.

American

LEARN BJJ YOU STUPID FAGGOTS.

It's basically superpowers if the dumb motherfucker you're fighting can't grapple and if you're even a bit strong you can literally tear someones limbs off.

Unless he pulls a knife.

>intentionally going to the ground in a self defense situation
wew lad

>closest place to learn martial arts is an hour away
Flyover states are suffering.

Worth a trip to try it out. Ask the instructor if there are any people from your area, so you can car pool.