The Texas Method

Is it worth it? I did stronglifts until I exhausted those gains, and in the last 6 months I've more or less stayed the same with 5/3/1. I want to switch but I don't want to be a fatass.

the texas method is remarkably efficient at building a better squat after an LP

not so good at bench

so so at deadlift

meh at OHP

negative-o on cleans

Depends what you want. What do you want?

eating like a pig is what turns you into a pig you retard.

also what are your lifts.

TM vs Madcow?

Pros and cons?

Madcow is ramping 5s Texas is straight 5s.

I prefer straight sets

5'10''

Squat: 280
Dead: 350
Bench:225
OP: 160

27 and been lifting consistently around a year and a half. The last few months haven't really gone anywhere due to work/stress but I have more time now.

>not so good at bench
What strength programs ARE good for bench? Beginners on a bodybuilding split will often make better gains on bench than beginners on a LP program, TM has a reputation for being bad for bench, 5/3/1 has a reputation for being bad for bench, Candito's 6 week has a reputation for being bad for bench.

this is pretty much a perfect analysis of my experiece with it

squat --> fantastic
DL --> shit
upper body --> mediocre

also i'll add that for some reason it responded incredibly well when i tried it with weighted pull ups:

Mon:
Pull up volume (5x5)

Wed:
pull up recovery (2x5 with bodyweight)

Fri:
Pull up intensity (1x5)

got up to 40kg attached to me at a bw of 88kg doing this

Sheiko

I know I spoke about the basic program as not working pretty well for most lifts but...

Bench MWF
Back work MW
Oly lifts and Push Press Sat
DL every 2 weeks or so

why not back work MWF? could easily add in a workout to friday that could be recovered from in 3 days

honestly since my squat is pretty weak this might be good for me. I assume my deadlifts still at the point that it will go up with my squat.

Cleans/Snatches on Sat. I like to have lats strong for the work

gotcha. no squats in there either?

What? No. Definitely squats. 1x5 does not take that much out of you and the light (relative) squat work the next day helps recovery.

Also interested in this

i agree that 1x5 is very easy to recover from. what do you think about adding fronts or something or a back off set or two to friday?

Honestly? Hepburn. Pressing 4x/wk built the shit out of my bench and press

thought hepburn was 2x a week?

nuckols' 28 free programs, specifically 3x a week program.

Back squats probably not. A 3x3 of front squats would be alright but I would keep it fairly easy.

The extra volume isn't really necessary at this point.

Nah, 4x. MTu-ThF

Delicious gains if you eat a fuck ton.

Can natties do it effectively?

Yeah this "not good for bench" shit needs to die the death.

There are over a half a dozen different versions of Texas Method that are all IN THE FUCKING BOOK which all BENCH PRESS HEAVY 2X A WEEK.

If YOU didn't get good bench results because YOU were too stupid to get the fucking book and read it and do a method that Ripp recommends for Powerlifting, because YOU fell for an internet meme version of the program, then that is YOUR problem and NOT a problem with the program.

if you did the original 5/3/1 that has one working set a week, of course you stayed the same - that program is completely nonfunctional and only works for people new to proper programming or the genetically gifted

try the new 5/3/1 with joker sets and FSL

as far as TM, it's good for squat, awful for bench/press, either mediocre or abysmal for deadlift depending on how much carryover you individually see from squat to DL

TM is not really a proper intermediate routine as much as an extension to novice programming that lets you drag out LP a little bit longer, it limits volume by making you peak at the end of each week so that's pretty shit

where read PPST3 for free?

Dawg, different shit works for different people. The point of an intermediate program is to "learn you real good" on what helps you develop. If it was one size fits all, it would be an LP program.

gen.lib.rus.ec

I did 5/3/1 and BBB. For the record, I did get bigger, and my 10 rep max skyrocketed, but I didn't really get stronger.

For the people who have run the Texas Method. Did you feel the volume was enough?

>If a variation of a routine doesn't work for you, you need to buy a book and do a different variation of that same routine instead of just switching to a program with a better track record
Fuck off rippletits

Also it should be added that I think Rippetoe the SS coaches are pretty obnoxious so I ideally want a different program. It's just this type of training is what I'm used to so far so I think it might be the best route for now.

mirrors my experience too

OG 5/3/1 made you real good at pushing AMRAPs but was too low in volume to actually make you stronger