Helping Out

Personal Trainer in the industry for a number of years here. Ask me anything you want and I'll provide a better than average answer.

In the meantime, here's some useful Veeky Forums related info that might help you out.

1. Correcting your posture should be a priority in your warmups and physical preparation as a whole.

2. Mobility is generally a nervous system adaptation, and should be programmed progressively, like weight training.

3. Keto is silly. Carbs are important for performance. Sugar is still shitty for you. We all need to drink more water.

4. If you're getting less than 7 hours of sleep nightly, your recovery is sub-optimal.

5. Relating back to point one: Working on diaphragmatic breathing and the quality of your breath is gold for postural correction.

6. Kettlebells are top-tier strength and conditioning tools.

7. A lot of trainers give their clients meme exercises because they (the trainers) are idiots.

8. Most trainers are idiots who couldn't hack it in any other profession.

9. The majority of people who step into the gym are fucked up from living a shitty sedentary lifestyle, and need a few correctives before they start doing fundamental barbell lifts.

10. If you're in the gym doing anything at all, you're a better person for it. Don't pay attention to the manlet, dicklet, incel, whatever the fuck threads. A lot of guys have learned helplessness and they fucking suck. Keep working. You can make it, too.

Hope I can help.

Other urls found in this thread:

dsstrength.com/bestdamnposture/
robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/5-core-training-exercises-you-should-be-doing/
teamruntowin.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/pavel-tsatsouline-relax-into-stretching.pdf
dsstrength.com/four-ways-to-incorporate-postural-restoration-institute-pri-principles-into-strength-and-conditioning/
robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/ground-based-core-training/
posturalrestoration.com/pri-resources
youtube.com/watch?v=IH_reno33ng
renaissanceperiodization.com/training-volume-landmarks-muscle-growth/
renaissanceperiodization.com/quad-training-tips-hypertrophy/
renaissanceperiodization.com/chest-training-tips-hypertrophy/
renaissanceperiodization.com/hamstring-training-tips-hyprtrophy/
renaissanceperiodization.com/back-training-tips-hypertrophy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'll bump this once or twice just in case anyone wants some help, then I'll let it go.

Last bump for the night, then sleep.

Might as well, I'm bored and have a few things.

training
>how into leg day if I cannot squat or DL for a while (ankle injury)? leg curls, glute bridges?
>how genuinely "cardio" is HIIT boxing drills? I feel it's more like strength work for triceps and delts.
>will reverse hack squat machine kill my spine or give me a great butt?
>your lifts? no e-statting faget
>give me a few GOAT posture correction drills pls

nutrition
>your personal c/p/f split? why?
>worthwhile supplements in your opinion?

job
>certificates worth getting if I want to become one of you guys?
>any cool stories, either cringy or inspiring?
>what do you earn per year if you're comfortable sharing?
>have you ever boinked a client? how did it go?

that's about it for now. I don't really care but as I said, I'm bored.

Being this desperate for acknowledgement on a Mongolian Ax sharpening board. Holy shit.

>How into leg day w/ fucked ankle

If you've injured your ankle to the point where any load-bearing exercise fucks it up worse, rest up and heal until the ankle is ready for some heavier loading.

In the meantime, most things with vertical shin should work for you.

>How "cardio" are HIIT boxing drills
All energy system work exists on a continuum. It kinda depends on your goals and your work/rest ratio/target heart rate. Are you trying to train aerobic, glycolytic, phosphagen, etc?

You can get your HR up and get in some quality cardio with boxing drills, but full body movements (medball slams, deadmill sprints, prowler pushes, rowing, jump rope, etc) tend to be a bit better for getting the HR up and improving your energy systems.

>Reverse hack squat machine?
Reverse hack squat machine is fine if you want to really isolate quads. I'm not a huge fan of most machines cause I'm one of those functional fags, but that's just me.

>Lifts?

Nothing too impressive, because I mostly train to keep healthy/be better at BJJ. For reference, I'm around 188-194 at 5'11.
- OHP - 155
- Bench - 265
- Squat - 385
- Deadlift - 435

>GOAT Posture drills?

dsstrength.com/bestdamnposture/
I can't put it any better than these dudes. They crushed this topic, and reading this article through will help you a lot.

Nutrition
>Macro split
185g/p 200 g/c 50 g/f
About 1990 cals/day when cutting. Keeps me full, happy, and performing well. Just feels good.

>Supps?
Whey, creatine, beta-alanine, and maybe some Aminos if you're trying to be fancy. Keep it simple. Spend your money on good food.

Job
>Certs
NSCA CPT then CSCS, if you have your bachelor's. In the US, you'll get a job in almost any gym with those credentials.
>Cool stories?
Tons dude. Getting tired of writing though, maybe in a bit.
>Earning?
About 50k annually now. Comfortable work though, and I get to hang out at the gym all day. Keeps me feeling good!

Just want to help out some dudes with questions bud. No worries if you're not happy about it, if nobody's got anything to ask, the thread'll die on it's own.

I have a weak core back and posture what are some simple ways to correct this too %100 perfect posture

>weak core back and posture

Mike Robertson has the answers you seek. Check out some of these core exercises, and then go down the rabbit hole on his site. He's got tons of badass resources for you to comb through.

robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/5-core-training-exercises-you-should-be-doing/

As far as postural correction goes, check out the link I posted above to darkside strength. The guys there have some cool links to PRI (who are, IMO, some of the best in the industry right now) as well as some ways to make it readily applicable.

The free warm-up they offer on their site is GOAT-tier, as well.

>rest up and heal until the ankle is ready for some heavier loading
lel that'll be about 10 months, go figure. thanks though, I'll look into the vertical shin thing.

>energy systems
glycolytic mostly if ever, I do other cardio I just want to know if it has value to be counted as such. also holy shit do I love boxing lmao

>reverse hack squats for quads
I was memed into thinking it's good for glutes, if it's not, disregarded entirely. I hate machines too I was just told I should try. seeing this, I will not.

>194@5'11
post pic nigga. lifts not half bad, expected worse, no offense

>posture link
YES, just what I needed. many thanks

>all things job
huh, seems nice. bachelor's could be an issue but I'll look into it. how many of those fags I meet in meme gyms even have certs? some of them seem like something straight out of a shitty lifetime movie, not kidding.

waiting for the stories, especially cause you omitted the boinking part lel

I'm out of shape, lifted regularly in the past but I've been totally sedentary for about 6 years. I'm 5'11", 233lbs down from 248lbs. Can I lose body fat more aggressively than 2 lbs per week? Or will it just start getting rid of lean body mass, too?

>10 months
Jesus dude, what'd you do to yourself? Try single leg work on the unbroken leg, as it'll actually increase bilateral strength, as well. (I know that's some counterintuitive shit, but it will.)

Additionally, if your shins stay back, single leg work on both legs/deadlifts/RDLs should be do-able for you. I don't know the nature of your injury though, so I might be full of shit.

>glycolytic
Word, throw in a bit of low-intensity steady state on occasion, too. It'll help increase your recovery time between workouts, and improve your overall work capacity.

>Glutes
Barbell glute bridges are amazing for them. Also RDLs, Good mornings, KB swings, and deep squats.

>post pic
Sure, gimme a sec. No worries, most trainers are DYEL-tier. I'm not amazing (not a PL, not on Veeky Forumss level) but I make sure to practice what I preach.

>Posture
Glad the link helped dude. Enjoy: There's quality shit there.

>Job
It's a good one, but you've got to be comfortable talking to people/selling. The ability to sell what you know is more important than actually knowing shit.

>Boinking clients
Generally no, as it fucks my money/reputation up. Did fuck one chick at the last gym I worked at, because I knew I was leaving. Cute blonde who I showed some Brett Contreras stuff to. (Sowed the seeds of great glute development so I could later enjoy the fruits of my labors.)

A lot of fucking between coworkers though. Get a bunch of relatively fit people in one workplace, you're gonna have some shit go down. Fun to talk about, and laugh at.

You can probably lose close to 5 lbs a week, but it's actually possible to gain muscle while losing fat. This happens all the time. Make sure you're lifting regularly, tracking your calories, and not bingeing.

You'll be fine, just stay consistent.

injured them both in a freaky car accident. just gonna keep the leg day to bodyweight only and focus on getting a grossly oversized upper body in the meantime kek

>comfortable selling
I come from highbrow retail, I could sell your grandma her own stained knickers twice in a row, so that's not an issue

>sowed the seeds of great glute development
audibly lol'd irl, good job. I somehow love how there's lots of coworker boinking, I mean it's bound to happen but the confirmation makes me happy.

BRB making a protein shake and going over to GF's house.

If this is still up when I get there, I'll answer more questions. Hope this is helping guys, I've been on Veeky Forums getting lols for years, so it's nice to give back now and then.

You're all awesome people.

>Try single leg work on the unbroken leg, as it'll actually increase bilateral strength, as well. (I know that's some counterintuitive shit, but it will.)
Not same guy but please do elaborate on this.

I have been lifting very irregularly unfortunately, but my calories have been consistent and I do 45-60 minutes of cardio most days. I'm trying to get my life to settle down so I can find a regular time of day/days of the week to lift. Thanks for the feedback

> better than average answer
> muh mobility
> kettlebells
Pick only one.
> lot of trainers give their clients meme exercises
> muh mobility
> kettlebells
Pick all three or none.

My physiology professor (a very reputable guy who has done a lot in the exercise physiology field and has trained Olympic athletes) said that about 50% of the protein from protein shakes becomes fat. Afterwards, he went on a rant about them, seeming like a bias.

Furthermore, he advised against most supplements and diets (besides the few he used to train Olympic athletes). The structure of the supplement compounds (creatine, carnitene, etc.) is similar to the natural product, but the body has fewer receptors for the synthetic version, meaning they don't do as much. And when your body becomes dependent on the synthetic version, it slows down production. And some supplements eventually stop working. I might have misheard what he said as far as the structure of the synthetic compounds.

Do you know anything about this? How accurate is this? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm having some trouble deciding what routine to follow. I want to get strong and also lose weight. There's a lot, and I'm not sure what I should go for.

What would you recommend in terms of mobility training to get up to the level around a gymnast? I'm looking for something intermediate level, my flexibility isn't shit, but I'm certainly not where I could be.

I want to be able to lift 75lbs comfortably. Problem is that I am a 100lb manlet

I don't care about getting swole, I care about getting strong. What sort of excercises should I focus on?

Started lifting again three months ago after a difficult period of two years in which I have done jack shit in terms of lifting (or anything else really).

I'm on the right track again now, I'm following the SS guide from the Veeky Forums sticky and I'm very happy with the progress I made so far.

Over the course of three months I've been able to lift more weight quite fast, but now I feel like I have reached a deadlock.

With bench press, I'm stuck at 130 lbs (60kg) and with shoulder press I can't do more than 110. I'm not able to do the full set (so 3x5) with those weights. It's marginally getting better (it's the most I have ever been able to lift tbqh), but we're talking from being able to do one 60kg rep to maybe two or three over the course of two weeks.

Any advice?I'm eating properly and I'm sticking to my routine. Does this just mean that the honeymoon phase is over and my lifting gains will graduately decline? Or am I still not eating enough?

I'm also wondering if I should not just continue to keep increasing the weights, with the mindset that if I increase it now it will be hell, but at least It'll go a lot smoother if I decrease the weights again the next time

You know anything about running?
I changed from landing on heels to landing on balls of feet after a lot of people told me thats the correct way to run. But now my knees hurt like shit. Tips on running without hurting knees?

Bump

don't need to announce you're a PT like this gives you any real knowledge, probably actually hinders your knowledge because your hubris leads to overconfidence and bad advice

If i get to 8% bf then jump on creatine will i lose defintion?

>don't need to announce you're a PT like this gives you any real knowledge

PT stands for physical therapist which is close to being a medical doctor. Do not use "PT" to refer to trainers. This guy doesn't even have an ACSM certification.

I'll be certified in a couple weeks after passing the practical exam which doesn't seem too hard. Wondering if you have any advice on how to be a competent trainer that actually helps clients succeed instead of just wasting their money. Thanks m8, cheers.

you'll be the definition of loser if you do drugs, chump.

>keto is silly, carbs are important for performance

stopped reading

Are you gay? Bill Nye said all Personal Trainers are gay.

I fucked up one of my fingers, between the fingelbow and palm probably losing grip on DLs. i don't remember it happening, i just know it has destroyed my potential on a lot of workouts because of the pain. its fine without any pressure but as soon as i put any weight on a barbell its unbearable.

I've been getting by just trying a 2 finger grip. are there any grip alternatives I could do, I really don't want to take a break from lifting or go light.

also its been like 1-2 weeks whys it hurt to fucking bad still.

What's the second j in BJJ stand for?
How good are your BJs?

What is the best way to include exercises for power and speed (sprints, plyometrics) into my greyskull lp weekly routine?
Mon:bench prees, squat, chinups
Wed:ohp, deadlift, pulling lifts
Fri:bench press, squat, chinups
Thanks bro

>BJJ

Brazillian Jui-Jitsu

OP confirmed for having died on the way to his gf. Sad!

Not OP but look into Building The Gymnastic Body, and maybe Overcoming Gravity. Some good stuff in there even if you don't plan on any serious gymnast aspirations. Warning: long dry read, but worth it.

teamruntowin.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/pavel-tsatsouline-relax-into-stretching.pdf

Is there any exercises that can actually correct scoliosis?

running without insoles in running shoes y/n?

LOL surprised this survived overnight!
Sorry about the long delay. Got distracted. Answers incoming.

How much money do you make?

The average trainer career only lasts 3 years. Unless you marry a rich guy who can bank roll you.

Hey dude, kettlebells can be pretty great for building strength and conditioning. Check out Pavel and the dudes at Strongfirst. They're doing quality stuff over there.

>muh mobility
Targeted mobility/movement quality work is beneficial for just about everybody looking to lift/train into the long term. They do it at all the top training facilities in the world. Yes, even Westside. Try working on some of your weak points and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how good you feel!

Yeah, he's pretty spot on in that most shops won't be the make or break difference in your training.

When it comes to performance enhancers, the most effective ones are the ones you inject.

I will say that for post workout recovery, a protein shake is delicious, and probably won't hurt your muscle building efforts, so hey, why not, right?

Is the V-taper a question of genetics or can it be achieved by hard work? I feel like I have a fridge body and no matter how hard I try I can't have it.

Hey, I totally know how rough it can be combing through the miles of routines on the internet to find something worthwhile.

A few factors to consider are how often you want to come in and workout, how new you are, what your lifestyle was like prior to starting your routine, and (honestly, the most important one) what you have fun doing.

If you hate coming in to work out, you might be able to gut through and learn to love it, but adherence comes from having a pretty good time while you're there. When my clients are smiling/cursing me out between sets, I know they'll be coming back, which leads to consistency, which is the biggest thing if you want to make quality progress.

In terms of routines I like: For weight loss, I think slightly higher volume full body workouts are best. Keep the big lifts in there, train them hard, and track your calories. You'll find that progress comes along pretty nicely that way!

The dude who posted the Pavel article is good. Chris Sommer's gymnastics body is a great online resource as well for more gymnast specific mobility work. His stretching routine/skillwork is pretty rigorous, but if you stick with it, I'm willing to bet you'll see some great progress!

I'd also recommend checking out Andreo Spina's Functional Range Conditioning. It's catching on at a lot of higher level training camps right now, and some dudes are getting freaky mobility from it. I've incorporated some of the principles into my own mobility work, and it's got my hips feeling awesome!

Deadlift my tiny friend. Learn to deadlift correctly, learn to squat, learn to press and pull, and train the crap outta those lifts. Strength comes slowly and never really leaves.

Loaded carries will also make a man out of you.

Hey dude, thanks for doing this.

I'm about 150 lbs @ 6'1" and in danger of becoming a skinnyfat (computer work). My current regimen is biking to/from work (~3 mi each way) and yoga ~4x/week. Diet: Basically the sticky, with more fungus+yoghurt and less meat, only recently started fish oil.

My goal is 10-15 lbs of muscle within 6 months, which sounds realistic based on the sticky. I was thinking of doing this 5x/wk:

>Bike 3 mi fairly hard coming home
>Do bodyweight/callisthenics for 30 min
>Finish with yoga for 30 min

With the possibility of doing kettlebells/weights on weekends. I'm not trying to buy any equipment except maybe 1-2 k-bells.

Any tips on the actual weight training/recommendations for the most useful compound movements? I was going to start with the basics: 3 sets of as many as I can do of pushups, situps, and pullups.

Right now I'm heavily skewed toward aerobic leg work. Looking to balance my weak arms+strong legs. Regular sailing is a possibility (I drive past a public boathouse), as is pausing at the calisthenics park on my way home.

tl;dr: Have an acceptable lifestyle and a basic idea of what I need to do, need specifics on building arm+back muscle w/ no equip. Any posture help too, besides straightening out when I notice I've gone slack. Thanks.

Depends on how you missed, I'd say. Did you hit 2x5 and 1x4? Keep trucking, get a little more sleep/food in, and see how the next lift feels.

Have you had a deload yet? In the beginning, when you're still lifting babby weight, progressing every workout is totally manageable.

Try tapering your lifts down by like 5-15%, have an easier week, then start building back up again.

Eventually, the strength just comes slower. You'll be increasing your max once a week instead of every workout, and then you'll only be hitting a max once a month.

Eventually, you'll only hit a max once or twice a year, and then it'll just come rarely.

But for now? Take a deload week, let your body recover a bit, then start building back up again. I think you've still got plenty of room to grow, as a 130lb bench is still relatively light (unless you're a really small dude) so stick with it, just taking a deload if you miss an entire set, or you're only hitting like 1x4, 1x3, 1x2 on your working weight.

What drills do I do to protect my lower back from injury and pain down the road? I changed my ab routine because the ab exercises I did gave me lower back pain but idk if that's gonna do it. I just wanna stay healthy, not be a ripped cunt at the cost of my health

Never been a big runner myself, but heel striking/balls of your feet are both wrong. You kind of want to land on the whole foot and land softly. If there're any good track & field coaches near you, their advice outweighs mine by a factor of like 10 to 1, because I can't see you run, and I was never a running coach.

Additionally, if you're running on pavement/doing a lot of long distance road running, that's some nasty shit for your joints. Try to keep to trails/off road if you can help it. More scenic, and a bit easier on the joints.

What I also see in a lot of my clients who run a lot is an absurd lack of strength in glutes, and super tight everything. Make sure you're doing a bit of soft tissue maintenance work before you run, and maybe some glute activations.

A good resource for you to check out might be EXOS, because they've got some pretty nice drills for people trying to improve general athletic movement. (Which is what running is, when you get down to it.)

Just wanted to give people a heads up into my background/why I think I'm remotely qualified to talk about anything fitness-related.

I also help people get into better shape professionally, so there's that.

Also, I like to think I'm pretty level-headed about what I know and don't know. I work with people who are WAY more knowledgeable than I am. Honestly, I'm learning constantly just to try and get on a comparable level to some of these guys.

But hey, if you think the advice I give is bad, you're in no way compelled to follow it. I just suggest things I've seen work when applied correctly.

Never went for ACSM, because I'm more interested in sports/athletic performance than the rehab side of things.

I've got my CSCS, which is a fairly well known and respected Certification.

I've got all the respect in the world for DPTs though. Those guys are typically well-read, and pretty brilliant. Best of all are DPTs who've got their CSCS and focus on rehab for athletes: They're the ones who I always ask for advice/love to pick their brains on all things fitness related.

Hahahaha Dude, if you get to 8%, I'm sure you'll still look ripped no matter your level of water retention. Go for it, creatine's really no big deal.

Dude, the fact that you care is the most important first step. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Keep learning. Read a LOT. However much you know, there's tons of cool shit to learn.

2. That being said, don't stray too far from the basics. You might want to try out new, fancy shit you've learned. Don't. Just give the client what they need. Dan John is fucking brilliant when it comes to this shit. You don't need the fanciest routine in the world to make progress. You can get by with REALLY simple things, performed savagely well.

3. Screen your clients. Check out Grey Cook's Functional Movement Screen, and make sure they're not an absolute mess. If they move well and don't display any crazy dysfunction? Load em up!

4. Understand the scope of your practice, and don't be too prideful to refer out if necessary. Refer out if you don't have the answers they need. Knee injury that they're trying to recover from? Refer out to a DPT. Diabetic looking for a meal plan to keep his blood sugar in check? Refer out to an RD. High blood pressure/history of heart issues? Refer out to an MD.

5. "It depends." These are words to live by. Whenever anybody asks you a question, this is the only true answer.

6. Have pride in your craft. This is a line of work populated by meatheads, charlatans and scammers. Don't be one of those. Provide high quality sessions. More sessions make you more money, but they won't make you a better trainer. If you have to choose between quality of life/your product and making more money, always choose the former.

Check out Precision Nutrition. Good, high quality, field-tested info that has helped a lot of people get their lifestyle in check.

What do you think about 5x5, OP?

Bill Nye went full SJW, the poor bastard. Hope he recovers. Used to love his show when there was actual science on it.

Since I get free use of gym and personal trainer (I do IT at a place that's got a commercial gym) how do I not waste the trainer's time. Given I have no clue about gym and just did bodyweight myself.

>quality of your breath
TELL ME MORE OP

Sorry bud, I don't have much in the way of an answer for you outside of taking the time to let it heal up. Better to voluntarily take a week or two off from the gym till it feels better vs being forced to take three months off because you kept re-injuring your hand, in my opinion.

That being said, is it more pressing or pulling that aggravates it? If you can't really pull heavy weight, or your grip is utterly fucked, you can TRY using straps?

If it's pressing and you can't really bench/OHP, you're kind of shit outta luck till it starts to feel better. Sorry dude :(

Keep it low volume, and make it part of your warming up/first part of your workouts before you start lifting. Plyos and power/speed work belong in the beginning of a workout because they're the most CNS intensive.

Added benefit, you'll be very awake/ready to rock when it's time to go heavy later in the workout!

Hope you're still here.

What should I do after SS? I'm interested in getting bigger and looking good naked, not "muh strength" and becoming a powerlifting fatass or "bearmode".

1 month till half marathon, i just increased my cardio from 3 days 5km to 3 days 7km runs and i cycle to work and back 5 times a week(around 12-15km )

swiming once a week

tips how to top the performance within a month?

Thanks

What is there apart from squat variations and calf raise for a guy with a barbell/dumbbell home gym to do as leg work?

I'm not entirely sure as to how to work around scoliosis. That'd be a question more for physical therapists/smarter coaches than I.

I've actually wanted to look into that a bit more, but at the moment I'm actually not sure how to help with scoliosis. Sorry man! I'll try to ask some of my coworkers and see what they know!

About 50k/annually now, but it's a comfy living, and I enjoy my work.

Still waiting on marrying a rich dude who'll bankroll me :'(

The extent to which you've got a V Taper might be mostly genetics, but if you train the crap outta your delts/lats, you can create more of an illusion of a V Taper.

But hey, don't worry too much about things determined by genetics. Fridge/brick wall body is kinda badass in its own way! Thick core looks powerful, if you ask me!

No worries man, glad you're interested!
If you're looking for good KB Work to balance out your physique, I'd find a Strongfirst certified coach in your area and buy a session or two just to make sure your form is on point.

Most useful KB Compounds:
Swing, Clean, Turkish Get Up (TGUs are AMAZING for damn near everything if done right), Goblet Squat, 2 KB Front Rack Squat, Row, Loaded Carry.

For trying to keep your computer work from turning you into a postural mess, check out some of the stuff they've got here:

dsstrength.com/four-ways-to-incorporate-postural-restoration-institute-pri-principles-into-strength-and-conditioning/

As you might be able to tell, I'm a big fan of these dudes.

Hope this helps, but feel free to ask me to elaborate if there's something you feel is missing/needs more explanation.

pls respond

Depends on what the issue is with your low back, and why it hurts. If you're doing 10000000 crunches/daily, you're probably gonna have some back pain.

robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/ground-based-core-training/

Here are some awesome core training tools you can probably put into use right away, and most of the stuff Mike Robertson posts is gold when it comes to this. Seriously, if you search core training on his website, you'll end up with a veritable goldmine of great resources!

Good, high quality strength work rep scheme. Throw in some accessories tailored to your specific goals/needs, and you're good to go!

Depends how good the trainer is, honestly.
A good trainer should be able to help you get your form right, and not have a problem answering any number of questions you might have on the way. You're not wasting his time: It's his damn job, and he should be happy to do it!

Hahahaha here dude, it's pretty dense/dry shit, but comb through some of these if you really want to go all the way down the rabbit hole when it comes to breath work as a means to postural correction.

posturalrestoration.com/pri-resources

I wanted to know more about daily breathing pattern and the best way to breath. Also what do you think about buteyko?

Hey! Sorry about the delay, just going down from the top and answering questions as I go!

If you're trying to be a bodybuilder, your diet is WAY more important than your training methodology. That being said, so long as you've got no problem making it into the gym 4-5 times weekly, you should probably hop on a bodybuilding split.

Something like this:
Mon - Quad Dom Leg day
Tues - Upper Body Pull
Wed Ham Dom Leg Day - Meal Prep
Thurs - Upper Body Push
Fri - Accessory/Bro Day
Sat - Movement Quality/Rest
Sun - Movement Quality/Rest - Meal Prep

You can be just fine doing something along these lines.

Romanian DeadLifts, Reverse Lunges, Split Squats, Rear foot elevated (Bulgarian) Split Squats, Dumbbell snatches, etc.

got any hands-on PRI stuff? all I read online is praise for the principle, but I want to know what to actually do to profit from it. or do I need an actual licensed guy for that? I'm too poor for that right now.

Just keep building up the mileage as the competition comes closer, then taper off for the last few days leading into it!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, to be honest! There are definitely more advanced tips for marathon prep I'm sure, but long distance endurance work isn't my area of greatest expertise!

Good luck with the half marathon bud! You'll kick ass!

Thanks. Any advice for:

1) Number of sets and rep range
2) Rest intervals
3) How many exercises per muscle group

Also I'm looking at working out 3-4 times per week. A year ago I would have had the luxury of higher frequency, not so much now.

muscle group in a session*

I wanted to go on a water fast to reduce body fat in order to carry less weight while running

good idea? bad idea?

Thanks alot user!

I'm 6 foot 136lbs. I find if I do too many arm exercising my elbows have a horrible stinging pain for the next couple weeks. Is this something I should actually worry about or can I possibly chalk it up to being skelly?

I'm providing a link to another Veeky Forumsizen below that you'll definitely want to check out!

Also, don't know ANYTHING about Buteyko, so thanks for giving me something awesome to check out/read up on!

youtube.com/watch?v=IH_reno33ng

This video will provide you with the first step you'll probably want to take in applying PRI immediately to your training. It provides immediate feedback/a rough idea on how certain things are *supposed* to feel.

Check it out, you'll probably enjoy some of the stuff related to it!

oh nais, just what I needed. I've lurked the PRI resources themselves but tbqh I'm a dumb meathead, I need clear cut instructions on how to do stuff, not general principles kek

Why the focus on the left side with the PRI? Never understood that part.

Mike Israetel has some great advice for lifting with a big focus on bodybuilding. This article is a solid starting point:

renaissanceperiodization.com/training-volume-landmarks-muscle-growth/

From there, you can look at his hypertrophy guides for various muscle groups. Here are a few:

renaissanceperiodization.com/quad-training-tips-hypertrophy/

renaissanceperiodization.com/chest-training-tips-hypertrophy/

renaissanceperiodization.com/hamstring-training-tips-hyprtrophy/

renaissanceperiodization.com/back-training-tips-hypertrophy/

I have weak wrists and Triceps, should i focus competely them or do i go on with normal Arm day?

Losing bodyfat while maintaining performance/mileage for long distance would be tough while consuming zero calories.

I wouldn't recommend it, to be honest with you! There are better ways to go about losing that fat!

I was thinking more like 4-7 day fast to drop some pounds and then jump on chicken/vegie diet till the half marathon

Also before the long run, i was advised to eat bananas, confirmed information?

Cheers

Well, without knowing what your volume or exercise selection looks like, I'd say that a horrible stinging pain in a joint is PROBABLY a bad thing.

Being skinny doesn't mean that exercise should hurt your joints. I'd back off a bit on arm isolations, and see if it gets better. Could just be a bit of tendinitis calling for rest, could be any number of things! I can't say for sure, but if it keeps troubling you, get it checked out by a medical professional, as pain/injury is their territory!

Heavy presses, heavy deadlifts, loaded carries, wash, rinse, repeat.

No sense making a simple thing complicated!

glad to see someone shill Israetel, great lad. a related question, do you personally think his RP excel templates are worth the hassle and money? I've seen people leave humanity almost behind with his stuff, but 100bucks per sheet AND the need to buy a new one for every goal change makes my wallet shrivel up like a dick in icy water.

The human body has natural asymmetries due to a number of factors. There's an immense jargon-heavy description that they've got as to why, but without getting too much into it, they're trying to minimize those natural asymmetries to improve quality of life/performance.

I have joint hypermobility and in general day to day life it doesn't bother me much but months ago i had a bad wrist injury and couldt lift for a while, also got really ill after so just lately got back to the gym again. The thing is, my right wrist, the one that was injured, still hurts sometimes, and i can feel that for example, during bench press, the main thing making the movement hard for me is feeling it in my wrists and them getting sore, not any other part.. which also limits the weight i can use. Any tips for strenghtening the wrists safely? Another question, i keep feeling like my right shoulder isnt properly in place like the other one is. As if it's not going into its normal position or something, and it feels super mobile during many exercises. Should i be worried or just try to manage? It doesnt particularly hurt, just feels very weird.

>Working on diaphragmatic breathing and the quality of your breath is gold for postural correction.

how?
I can't stay conscious of it, eventually I shift my focus and forget about it.

>The majority of people who step into the gym are fucked up from living a shitty sedentary lifestyle, and need a few correctives before they start doing fundamental barbell lifts.
Probably applies to me. Correctives such as?

Hm makes sense. But is it arbitrary, or mostly left side for right handed people, or universally, or what? I understand the concept but not how to apply it.

Eh, I figure you could skip the fast and head right into the chicken/veggie/rice/sweet potato phase of things hang onto the muscle you've got, don't commit to lackluster training over the 4-7 days you're eating nothing.

Also bananas are awesome. Eat the shit outta those on race day!

Fuckin A, man! He's got great shit to offer.

Personally, I think that if you understand the principles he applies in his programming, you can get away with writing up your own program based on his explanations.

But if you don't have the time/can't be fucked to be brainstorming/writing up a program for yourself, and $100 isn't an absurdly high expense for programming? Go for it!