When to use rainbow weights vs. black weights?

also where are you supposed to do different things? pic related green is a rainbow weight and the smaller one is black weights. what is the purpose of the rainbow weights and when are we supposed to use them?

the rainbow weights in my gym are all put over next to the squat rack place. i don't know if it's actually a squat rack but that's where the only barbell mirror is.

"squat rack" has black weights and is on a weird raised platform thing that looks like the same material as a basketball court. and next to it there's another platform to stand on that looks like a basketball court, and on that there are rainbow weights. and it seems like most of the time the rainbow weight platform has like a shin-height long thing so you can put the barbell on it for some reason? does this make sense?

also where are you supposed to do deadlifts? and i guess where is the proper place to do squats, and hip thrusts?

I'll only answer if you post your boyhole

weight is weight. colored ones are just prettier and easier to distinguish between and are used in oly lifting. red = 25, blue = 20, yellow = 15, green = 10, white = 5. same shit for smaller ones but divide it by 10

that basketball court platform is usually for oly lifts

how should i know the layout of your gym? Ask them yourself

It really doesn't matter
the number is there for a reason

to add, those platforms can also be used for everything else but mainly people deadlift or oly lift on them because they have space

plates can either be metal or rubber. rubber plates are bumper plates and are designed to be dropped from height which is usually the case when you do oly lifts

colored weights are calibrated to more exact standards than black weights

/thread

omg thanks so much! you guys are super helpful.

so what's the deal with the long thing on one of the basketball courts? it's like the things you use to rack the bar in after squats but a lot longer so it can roll around some and it's usually on the bottom. so you can't get the weight down all the way to the platform. to me that would make normal deadlifts impossible right?

Coloured weights will often not turn up for work and have a record of being aggressive to the other plates around the gym. I'd steer clear OP.

niggers use black weights
faggots use rainbow weights
niggerfaggots use both

if this isn't bait, i suggest you sort your life out.

This joke would work if the alternative wasn't "black weights"

what's wrong with my life? i work hard, perform well in school, eat well, and exercise lol. seems pretty great from my perspective but whatever.

I always thought you were genuine and just a huge fag, but this weak b8 thread confirms the whole vegan trap thing is just one long-winded elaborate ruse. Not sure if I should be impressed by your dedication or wish you a slow painful death.

shoo shoo raffaello('s trip with another but related name)

okay?

like i can't be confused by gym equipment and where to do certain things without being fake or dishonest. i'm still new at this gym thing and today i was feeling really weird about where to do my deadlifts and i ended up grabbing big dumbbells and using those. i thought it was cute calling them "rainbow weights" lol but i guess no one else liked it :(

anyway whatever :/

mirin trips, hating everything else

I was on your side but I mentioned my spicy KFC upsetting my belly and you ignored it.

TBQH you and your kind should be gassed after that

>stalker user's heart is broken
end of an era. RIP in pieces

dude what?

if you're literally eating kfc you should probably be in therapy to overcome your eating disorder.

>vegan
>trap
>tripfag
>tells others to get therapy
WHERE SHOULD I BEGIN

y u got worms in ya veg nigga

they're kelp noodñes.

Those are safety bars. They are designed to bail on squats with regular (non olympic/training plates), but they can be versatile for doing other exercises or rack pulls (deadlifts with limited ROM) or load/unload weights easier.

The colored weights (or vulcanized rubber plates training plates) are called bumper plates and are indispensible for doing oly lifts, as is a platform, because you have to drop the weight safely. There are also metal versions of these plates which are far slimmer and also color coded in a similar fashion - these are powerlifting plates. As previously mentioned R,B,Y,G,W are usually very accurately adjusted to 25,20,15,10,5kg, and the smaller ones smaller by one order of magnitude and generally magnetize to the collar (which is 2.5kg a piece on their own). There are also 2 kinds of competition bars, though most gyms not for olympic weightlifting generally just use any old bar, including sometimes a Texas Squat Bar which is stronger and designed to hold more weight for powerlifters, and is hence 25kg. Male bars are standardized at 20kg and female bars are slimmer and at 15kg.

The metal plates/hex plates are less versatile but you can stack more on so it depends on what you can acually lift - it also tends to deflect less so it's better for full ROM deadlifts, they are also easier to grip and move around. They normally come in 45-25-10-5-2.5lb portions.

The rack is easiest to squat, if you don't want to or can't clean the weight. Hip thrusts are easier to do on the smith machine, but personally I'd prefer doing kettlebell swings or cleans. Deadlifts are best on the platform.

To any mod that might see this, the reason why I reported this thread is due to it obviously being spam. The questions asked would be much better placed in a qtddtot, and this trip has been informed of that multiple times for other easily answerable threads, yet insists on creating new ones that serve no other purpose than to fish for replies and clog the catalog. I'd ask that any in agreement with my reasonings would do the same as I believe this to be a rule violation simply due to

1. The obvious knowledge of the poster that better places on Veeky Forums exist for these questions, especially since being informed abundantly

2. The lack thereof of heeding such knowledge seemingly serving no other purpose but to garner replies based on the poster's gender identity, eating habits, and general lack of fitness knowledge

wow thanks for this answer. feel like i learned a lot. i have noticed that the rainbow plates are easy to carry around. have to grab them from the platform and walk to the other side of the gym to set up like in op pic lol. and i've been doing deadlifts right there like in the op pic. no platform, just a spot against a wall somewhere. is this like bad gym etiquette? i put that mat back up after doing glute bridges and deadlift right there

usually the squat rack platform thing is taken, along with the one next to it that has those safety bars.

also how the fuck do you use the smith machine for hip thrusts??

You obviously don't exercise enough to know the basic shit you asked in the original post.
If you can't figure that stuff out on you're own, I urge you to not ask and eventually hurt yourself, hopefully enough so that you can't pollute the gene pool.

oh and the bars. i thought they were all 45lbs? how can you tell how much a bar actually weighs? feel like all my numbers might be way off now ugh :(

Didn't notice you're a tripfag.
Consider suicide
MODS!!!

It's not poor ettiquette, odds are you don't do that much weight anyway so no one is missing out on much.

Regarding the smith machine, I assume most people don't use the smith machine so it's generally empty. It's a glute bridge, which you can do just by bringing a bench over and resting on it while the bar is on your hip. I don't do them, again, I prefer the clean or any other leg exercise to hip thrusts/glute bridges.

The barbell lengths are different if they are up to specification with olympic barbells, 2.2m for Men's (20kg), 2.01m for Women (15kg), 2.4m for TX squat bars.

fuck i lost my post somehow. fucking dammit.

okay.

that's an ingenious idea about the smith machine. i know what hip thrusts are and i've done a bunch but the bench always wants to tip over and one time i fell on my ass because of it and now i mostly do glute bridges because of that but i want to do hip thrusts again because i could really feel the burn in my glutes. but the fucking bench tips over.

also i need to bring a tape measure i guess to figure out how much weight i'm lifting lol :(

if the bars there are 45lbs i'm up to 105lb glute bridges and feel accomplished kinda

also you're like my favorite poster today thanks for being so cool

>bench tipping
do you rest on it lengthwise, or does your upper body weigh 200 lbs. genuine question.

what?

it's like this

i weigh 125ish total. legs and all

kill yourself, honestly

huh. then you've got some shitty bench there.

As an addendum the bars under 20kg usually don't have center knurlings and have a diameter easier to grip as they are thinner.

If the bench is wide enough you can try doing thrusts/bridges lengthwise (back on the head/end) rather than along the side. I would try doing kettlebell swings if you don't do it already.