Any tips for a beginner?

I've decided that enough is enough.

I'm tired of being a slightly-overweight pseudo-intellectual. I just want to become physically stronger and feel good.

Two weeks ago, I stopped drinking soda. I plan on never touching the shit ever again, it just makes me feel terrible.

I know that getting Veeky Forums won't fix my social ineptitude. I just want to feel good in my own body again.

I have nothing else in my life but myself. I might as well be healthy. I'm willing to go all the way.

I'm going to purchase a gym membership soon. So, denizens of Veeky Forums, what tips do you have for a wayward soul who is prepared to take his first clumsy step into the world of workouts?

read the sticky

I started yesterday and I'm halfway through it now.

I should have specified what I meant. What I meant to ask was: "Is there any Veeky Forums-approved advice I should take?"

check the sticky

do you wann gain muscle or lose weight?

im guessing the later, drink water, not milk or sugary drinks (sugar free isn't horrid, but water is king)

cut out excess carbs and junk food, switch for veggies and meat (3 to 1 on veggies to fruit ratio)

walking is good, you don't need to go balls to the wall cardio, think duration and distance versus intensity

one key thing is don't kill yourself with workouts, it's better to go everyday with the occasional rest day than P90XXXX INSANITY workout 2-3 times a week.

eat healthy, drink only water, and sleep is your recovery.

also if you wanna add me on steam for motivation, level 100 torchic!~

Thanks friend.

I'm looking mostly to lose weight now, and once I feel more comfortable with my health I'll take the plunge into muscle-building.

I'm not looking to become some sort of professional body-builder, I just want to be a cut above the average.

that's a lot of dota 2 hours

pay attention to form even if you think you dont have to.
food is more important than lifting if you want to put on mass and increase your lifts.
cardio is important.
cross-training, not cross-fit.
if you are doing something wrong, deload a little and work on form until you can go back to the previous weight.
stretch after warm up sets or after the training.

Drives me nuts when people say that.

Dont worry. You wont accidently become a professional body builder. That shit takes tons of dedication and effort.

also keep track of your lifts in a log or something, if you cant 100% do it in your memory.

Best tip I can give you is count your calories. Numbers don't lie, if you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

Also give yourself a goal weight. A specific target is a lot better at keeping you motivated than just generally wanting to get in shape.

Good luck, hope you make it

also you're probably going to get demotivated, just keep going.
you wont see results for about 6 months at least.

Dumb, if his goal is to lose weight he can start seeing results in like 2 weeks.

Sorry, I didn't mean to trivialize their effort, I was using hyperbole

I wrote all this down. Thanks for the responses

I like the idea of specifying what my goal is instead of "get in shape." Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm gonna try to avoid stepping on other people's feet because there's some good advice in this thread already. So here's something orthogonal to your question:

Remember that there's a big difference between motivation and discipline. Motivation comes and goes. You might hit a PR or watch some lifting-related stuff and get pumped up, but how long will that last you? A day? Maybe the better part of a week?

So what you have to remember to do is to never bite off more than you can chew. You won't see results straightaway, but trust in the programs and you'll get bigger and stronger over time. The soda is great, but if you feel like cutting out more stuff, don't do it all at once. First the ice cream, then the fried chicken, and after a while you learn to trust yourself. If you cut it all at once you'll have so many cravings, eventually you'll lapse back into it.

Self-discipline itself is a skill you can practice. You can do nofap not for whatever superpowers people promise you, but to resist the urge to touch your dick regardless of how horny/hard you are. Take cold showers, and once you learn how to physically steel yourself for the cold water, you'll have a better idea of how to mentally steel yourself. Getting more into religion helped me a lot more with this as well.

And bringing back on topic, your numbers will get insanely high if you have the self-discipline to consistently go to every workout short of personal/family emergency or severe illness.

on the losing weight part, sure you're right. I was focused on the getting stronger.

yw.

Strong agree on this. I set up a spreadsheet on Google Drive for each ~3 months of lifting along with a list of possible exercises (in case my original plan is taken when I get there) and with my estimated 1RM's for the major lifts. The 1RM is pretty accurate for me but isn't always, the real value is having a concrete goal and seeing you inch your way up. Seeing 175x5, 180x4, 180x5, 180x6, 185x5... is a lot more satisfying when you see a single number tick towards 225 until you're finally ready to attempt it. Almost like an IRL xp bar.

>I have nothing else in my life but myself

What did he mean by this?

He means he's a faggot

h o m e g y m

Counting Calories is a meme. Just try to eat healthier in general, lift, and do some cardio(I recommend biking) and your guicci

>Counting Calories is a meme
yeah nah fuck off

Driving Without a Speedometer is a meme. Just try to go faster in general, don't overtake the other cars too much, and watch for police (I recommend a scanner) and your guicci

Driving With a Speedometer*

Can't even do this kind of humor right fml

Stop watching anime.

I like to follow fitness people on Instagram for inspiration.

YouTube also has a bunch of good info, different YouTubers talk about whatever fitness goals you may have.
Most of the info is in the sticky. Track your calories, be consistent with gym aka don't skip workouts, and don't fucking quit after 2 weeks cause you're too lazy.

>level 100 torchic!~

Which one? There's two profiles with that name

don't ever listen to this. coming from a former fatty, it really is this simple: calories in, calories out. i thought i was having 2 000 while in reality it was 3 000 which corresponded to how much I weighed at the time. myfitnesspal put me back on track. before anything, start with that.

guarantee you dont change anything and relapse in a week
people just dont change overnight without some severe pain happening to them
you have no motivation, drive, or a reason to gain either of the 2.
Accept you'll be a nerd until things get really tough.

what the fuck are you on about?

>op has been living his life up until this point as a fat, psuedo intellectual
>this is a product of all of his life choices and decisions up to this point
>his fatness and lack of social skills is a representation of all his bad qualities in a physical form
>he won't change because he's going to keep making the same decisions as he has his whole life i.e. thinking he knows better than the calorie counter, not being able to discipline his fat ass, etc etc.
broke it down for you.

i sense imax levels of projection coming from this post

that would be impossible, seeing as i am neither fat or unable to discipline myself.

that is literally the most pseudo intellectual way you could've said that

ok fat ass, see you in a week when you're 2 pounds heavier

Still does not make sense. Are you assuming people don't ever change? The changes OP has to take on are not that drastic and he will probably enjoy them.

bruh i hope i'm 2 pounds heavier, it's gonna make some great progress on my bulk

People change through action (usually when something forces it), not just by telling everyone "hey! look at me! im changing!"
if he was really interested in changing he'd already have something to show and ask about instead of
>lmao give me tips even though theres a whole thread of links and info

>probably enjoy them
If that were true, he wouldnt be in this situation in the first place.

be consistent. read the sticky, find two routines in the sticky, read about the movements, how they function and their purpose, watch form videos on youtube, and do one routine for 3 months and then do another. continue going to the gym for 6 months continuously at least 3 times a week and putting in serious effort and evaluate your position from there. do not quit or slow down, do not hesitate for 6 months regardless of whether or not you feel like it. try to go consistently and make a habit of it. consistency and whether or not you continue to go is vital for learning what works for you, learning the movements, and figuring out if it's something you enjoy and can commit to. good luck bro, i wish you luck but it's up to you.

low-quality bait.

energy in, energy out. weight loss is just physics applied to your diet. if you make sure that you intake less calories than you burn every day, you *will* lose weight. it's the only way, in fact.