Is flat bench a meme if I only care about aesthetics?

Is flat bench a meme if I only care about aesthetics?

Do smolov jr for bench for 6 months and then come tell me your chest looks small

>Work extremely hard at bench
>Get to 90kg 3x5 (long arms)
>Go to new gym
>Bench here feels a lot harder and slightly lower
>Bench goes down to 80kgx5

Bench is a meme

Doesn't matter your muscles can't tell the difference between excercises as long as you train with enough tension and with enough volume

Holy shit what is so complicated about this shit

>Doesn't matter your muscles can't tell the difference between excercises as long as you train with enough tension and with enough volume

wrong

routine for old timey bodybuilding aesthetics?

Bench is a meme is a meme and this meme has to die. You faggots really think that one of the iconic lifts is not going to develop your chests? Is this some partisan movement to keep dyels from growing. Its time for me to leave this place. Day by day its get more and more retarded.

the problem is they all bench with shit form hence why they get no chest dev from it

these are the same retards who think they need to do 6 bench variations becuz ''flat bench is a meme'' lmao

Press, Squat, deadlift, row

Your muscles will know the difference between a leg press and a shoulder press

yes. incline is far superior, and even incline isn't a necessity.

gym obsession with muh bench press is retarded.

not to mention a lot of guys who overdo their bench get droopy pecs.

bench is awesome! but you have to do it smart.
Take bout 80% of your max and do that for 7-8 times. then jump off the bench and rep some push ups after. when you do the push ups try to think bout time under tension and do them slowly and controlled.

I got tits bigger than most females. mfw

4 flat Bench fixes for chest development, cap this

>pause on the chest on every single rep, this will take away the stretch reflex and will make the pecs work harder since the bottom portion of the lift is pec dominant
>shoulder width grip, this will give you the most ROM possible and thus the most stimulation possible
>scapula retracted and tucked in, this will put the pecs in a stretched position which allows for more pec stimulation
>a slightly arched back, just enough to retract the scapula, not too much or you reduce ROM which leads to less stimulation

Work on these and keep in mind progressive overload is key

iktf bro

went to a gym in my birthtown and I could easily do 2pl8s for reps, but when I moved to another city where the gravity is higher, I could barely lift the bar

>shoulder width grip, this will give you the most ROM possible and thus the most stimulation possible

I don't know about this. When I started using a wider grip I instantly felt my chest doing more work. I think you should use a narrower grip in general though as it is safer for your shoulders.

>Doesn't matter your muscles can't tell the difference between excercises as long as you train with enough tension and with enough volume
True, but it's not like any other exercise allows you to overload the muscle groups used in the bench as much or as quickly

'feeling' it more is not an objective indication

When doing a shoulder width grip you should tuck in the elbows, god knows what you were doing probally semi tricep extensions

narrow grip is for tricep

>upper chest
>delts

Yeah I'd rather stick to flat.

Well apart from "feeling it" my chest has also grown a lot in the past few months since doing wide grip bench.

>pause on the chest on every single rep, this will take away the stretch reflex and will make the pecs work harder since the bottom portion of the lift is pec dominant
I definitely agree on pausing on anything up to a triple, after that you lose so much weight I think it's not worth the tradeoff
Ideal grip width varies from person to person, I personally advocate going with whatever feels most comfortable since not snapping your shoulders is a big requirement to making consistent gains
>scapula retracted and tucked in, this will put the pecs in a stretched position which allows for more pec stimulation
This is correct though not for that reason, it's to prevent shoulder impingement
>a slightly arched back, just enough to retract the scapula, not too much or you reduce ROM which leads to less stimulation
Same as above, the purpose of arching your back IS to reduce ROM but that's necessary in order to avoid shoulder impingement

>he thinks he can grow from a different variation
you grow by overloading a muscle

Wider grip has less shoulder flexion and more tranverse flexion but less ROM overall. From an anatomical point of view the chest gets stretched more with a shoulder width grip

I bet you're still a newb, how much ya bench

yeah droopy pecs look fkin stupid.

you want big flat slabs, not bottom heavy tits

is there legit any difference between doing bench vs doing something like chest flies?

i want dat dere chest but bench fucks my shoulders

Glad I'm not the only one. I'm chalking it up to wonky bench design.

Yeah I am still a newb. Right now I'm at 85kg 3x5.
All I know is that my chest has grown a lot in the past few months, even though all I do for it is wide grip bench 3x a week with no isolations. Maybe that's just newb gains, I don't know.

Well of course its newb gains youre pressing beginner weight dude

your chest wouldve even grown from doing closegrip if you only managed to increase the weight over time

Try decline bench

upper chest is the only thing that matters for chest aesthetics.

flat bench just gives you bulging, droopy pecs that look like shit.

not to mention that bench press is the least functional lift of all things you could do.

indeed. upper chest is the only thing that matters for aesthetics, unless you aim for protruding, bulky, droopy pecs like Scooby (which I find disgusting).

>flat bench just gives you bulging, droopy pecs that look like shit.
No it doesnt

A wide grip might, but a shoulder width grip with the elbows tucked in will give balanced chest development

99% of yall flare the elbows and basicly do a similiar movement to chest flyes

maybe, all I know is that since I switched to incline press my chest has become way more balanced, and more prominent, without devolving into tits.

It's cus you're fat user.

incline dumbell bench will set you free

>ctrl+f
>dip
>0 results

kyselves

fucking retard

yes, The bench press isnt even a good pec builder for most people.
Its a good tool for building msucle for triceps and shoulders, but for good pecs you need isolation exercises.

projecting this hard

>db bench
>dips
The people who said this actually know shit
>droopy scooby tits
That's genetic you retarded motherfuckers, either you have weird tits or you don't

Pretty much the consensus

>shoulder width grip
Objectively wrong

Shoulder width bench is used in powelifting specifically as a tris assistance. The wider your grip the more engaged your pecs

>I definitely agree on pausing on anything up to a triple, after that you lose so much weight I think it's not worth the tradeoff
You need to maintain tension during the pause

>ITT: people with a sub 2plates bench afraid their chest will get "too big"

If you aren't a powerlifter there's no reason you have to do it

Dips are easy to load and you can get very strong with them instead of bench

I went to the gym today and tried flat dumbell bench

I did around 8 reps with 32kg dumbells

It felt pretty decent boys

>noob giving advice on something he knows nothing about
Great job spreading misinformation that's going to send at least one retard to snap city

>Is flat bench a meme if I only care about aesthetics
Dunno.
>Is flat bench a meme
Yes. Unless you're a competing powerlifter. No other athletes do the strict flat bench.

I love db bench but when you're repping 100lb+ it's annoying af to get them in place

>TFW bench 245 for reps and just here to see DYELs froth about sour grapes
But yeah this thread is a black hole of misinformation and shitheadidness

>No other athletes do flat bench

Wat? One of the team GB gymnasts has a YouTube channel and he says the gymnastics team do weights twice a week including flat bench

Also there's tonnes of videos of American football players doing flat bench

>he thinks wide grip is beneficial for pec activation
Enjoy ripped pecs fucking dummies

>Wat? One of the team GB gymnasts has a YouTube channel and he says the gymnastics team do weights twice a week including flat bench
Doubtful, since flat benching is about the worst thing you can do for gymnastics and adding unfunctional muscle mass is poison or gymanstics, too. I'm from Germany, we know gymnastics, we invented this shit. No gymnast here does weight lifting.

>Also there's tonnes of videos of American football players doing flat bench
Lol, yeah, 225 for reps. They usually do explosive stuff, not weightlifting in the internet sense. Why? They apparently don't need it.

>can do weighted dips with 10 kg 3x10
>can do regular dips for days
>push ups all day erry day
>progress on incline bench, db press, db fly
>bench stuck at 92.5 kg for 2 reps
>chest objectively look like shit
i don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried 5x5, 5/3/1, nothing helps. I am 82 kg at 184 cm. any tips?

holy shit this webm
fuck fuck fuck

in fight sports like boxing or mma bench press is also quite useless.

Most if not all American sports incorporate bench press. It's a good marker for upper body development. Bench in football is key for every player outside of QB. every play starts with some sort of "bump".

>is weak as fuck
>does 5 chest exercises
>oh wow guys why do I look like I dont even lift
well your problem here son is that you're a weak bitch, a stronger muscle is a bigger muscle

if you benched 120kg for reps you would have good pecs

>doing 5/3/1 when you barely bench 90kg
ahahahah

This is why newbs shouldnt do brosplits fucking told you guys. Go back to SS, add dips and rows, follow the fucking program and when you bench maybe 100kg for reps switch to an intermediate program like TM

>inb4 some guy says oh no you need to do this special exercise and this guy listens to him

Doubtful? Go watch nile Wilson's channel if you don't believe me, not sure why you think I'm lying

He got a bronze medal at the Olympics so pretty sure his team know what they're doing

As long as you work your chest and eat right it'll grow surely?

If Germany is so much better than team GB at gymnastics why didn't they get more medals?

>follow the fucking program
>add dips and rows

so which one should i do?

I don't know about Germany but in America damn near every athlete benches in some way shape or form. This doesn't mean they are trying to step out onto the platform but they most likely incorporate bench. And football players bench a shit ton. Lineman bench about 4x a week and it varies on weight/intensity etc. Some troll on 4chins doesn't know more than professional strength and conditioning coaches no matter how special your mom says you are.

>this reading comprehension
I said do the fucking program and add dips and rows to the fucking program

jeez you want me to spoonfeed you too

And why do you think they do the bench? because it got memed to be a good exercise

Meanwhile it has shit carryover to other movements and the fact that it requires your body to lay down in a static position shows that it doesnt work as much as stabilizers as the OHP for example

i hate when i forget to adjust the gravity chamber too

my question hasn't been answered

what question

first of all
>rude
then
>if you benched 120kg for reps you would have good pecs
yeah no shit
>>does 5 chest exercises
i phrased it wrong, but i actually don't, i just bench and then dips. when i used to do all that other shit I progressed on dumbells, but i stopped months ago
>doing 5/3/1 when you barely bench 90kg
i thought it was ok for strength development, i fucked up
>This is why newbs shouldnt do brosplits
not a newb and wasn't doing a brosplit

but you replied and I'll take some of what you said into consideration. Thanks and god bless.

Sandow has a book, dunno how good it is.

If I remember right he didn't work chest, measured Greek statues and built his physique to imitate them.

92.5kg for 2 reps is novice tier dude

if you did SS on a slight surplus you would probally progress to benching ~100kg 3x5 maybe even further I know guys who benched 110kg 3x5 on SS

5/3/1 is a late intermediate routine for people who cant progress weekly anymore, you have no bussiness doing this anytime soon. It baffles me when gymtards who barely bench 2 plates switch to 5/3/1, like dude do you want less gains?

>implying anyone on here even lifts anyway