Hey Veeky Forums, /g/entleman here

Hey Veeky Forums, /g/entleman here.

I used to lurk, but then I got into muh gayming and other /g/ shit. Stopped working out and got fat again. I started my diet this morning, and I'm getting shit back on track, gonna start running in my neighborhood again etc.

My questions for you are.

>Is Veeky Forums tech savvy?
>If so, what tech do you use?
>And most importantly, do you think tech is a bad thing? As in, do you think shit like gayming is unhealthy?

I've realized I spend almost every waking minute in front of my massive gayming rig I built, and I rarely go outside or socialize with people. Even my family and the few friends I have say stuff like "hey good to see you getting out of your cave" when they see me.

Some have said it's all about balance, but now I feel like being a tech enthusiast/ gaymer is an inherently unhealthy hobby. I'm afraid I might relapse into my old ways of being a hermit tech wizard. I feel like I should sell this shit, get the bare essential tech like a laptop, phone, fitness tracker, and maybe a tv so I'll only watch movies during downtime instead of playing muh gaymes constantly.

>TL;dr what to do about my "techie" lifestyle?

Thanks Bros

Just take up a sport or two bro. Soccer is great.

Go somewhere where you can do sports with people. You'll make new friends.

Martial arts, soccer clubs, etc.

>is Veeky Forums tech savvy
no more than /v/ is for operating steam

>what tech do you use
snapchat and dating apps (unsuccessfully)

>do you think tech is a bad thing
what kind of idiot thinks tech is a bad thing

>do you think shit like gayming is unhealthy
it's a slippery slope to unhealthy habits but not inherently unhealthy

>what do to about my "techie" lifestyle
lift things up and put them down

you also sound like a huge underage faggot for using words like techie and gaymin rig

Go back to your own board, dork.

No nerds allowed in here this is an alphas only domain.

Moderate your game playing.

Steam has a handy little "hours played in 2 weeks" counter. If you go over 30 hours you're probably not giving yourself enough time to keep active.

im savvy enough that i built my own pc part by part and know how to google problems. also set up lan stuff. so a little i guess?
i have a bunch of games on steam and my fighting game fundamentals are top notch, i can beat most of my friends in their favorite gaymen

no

install gentoo

Do what you want in life.

I stopped playing video games after getting fit, just seems like a waste of time but I dont hold it against anyone

What made you play them in the first place ?

I exercise probably over 15 hours per week

Cardio, lifting, boxing

Literally every other minute of my free time is either WoW or getting high

=}

I'd say Veeky Forums is, from what I've gathered. A lot of people on Veeky Forums are in general.

>If so, what tech do you use?

I'm a graphic designer and musician so I work professionally with everything from Adobe Creative Suite to DAWs. Not sure if you'd consider that software tech.

>And most importantly, do you think tech is a bad thing? As in, do you think shit like gayming is unhealthy?

Nah man, lifting should be used to enhance your life. If you love that hobby, go for it. What's unhealthy is being sedentary, having a shitty diet and not exercising.

Gaming ruined my social life in those crucial social development ages from 16 - 18. I started lifting when i was 16 but i continued to game and be socially awkward until 18. I've just turned 20 and am only now beginning to make real progress socially. I have a fantastic social life now and even had a short term girlfriend for some months.

It all started after i sold my PC after my 19th birthday. OP listen to me; get rid of it. And do it soon. It stole so many potential social gainz. I haven't touched a game in over 2 years.

Boredom, fitness has just filled that same hole

How the fuck can I learn how to code/mod games? Can any fitizens share sources on where they learned?

are u me
except wow is mobatrash and new vegas

was gonna say that. I dont feel better about myself just because girls look at me. My quality of life is just as shit at is was before.

user, you are literally me 2 months ago. It's called GAYming for a reason. 4 weeks into cut I quit Vidya. I'm back down 25 lbs (where I was when I started uni 2 years ago). Best choice. More time for meal prep + gym time. I do data analysis so I spend most of my time in front of a computer outside of the gym no matter what. My advice: cut the Vidya. Playing moderately (less than 5 hours a week) or not at all is not gold standard but the ONLY standard. Sitting in gayming mode too long shortens hip flexors and traps, and most likely you already sit in a chair to work like me. Do you really need to sit more? Try going outside for a walk or throwing frisbee with a friend, no friend go get a dog (dog is always a friend). Maybe pick up guitar and play standing up if you want some social gainz. As for tech, I like my cheep ASUS shit that I run normie Linux distros on -- nothing fancy. If you want to geek out on tech maybe look into fitness loggers or pick out the best wireless headphones you can find and never lose them (harder than it sounds). Good luck user, we are all going to make it.

Tldr; Tech is for making $$, not leisure. Stop gayming.

>lift
>have a gaming pc
>have a qt redhead gf

you probably aren't that good of a socializer if you gains are stolen by mario lol
you dont have to get rid of anythimg op. just learn moderation for fucks sake

oh no my quality of life was pretty good before and after and I dont get girls any more or less than before

just meant that being fit doesnt change quality of life unless you wanna fuck cheap girls.

All you need is to create a list of priorities and maintain discipline in following it.

I've been a fulltime student the past couple years in addition to working 30-50 hours a week. Games were a low-stress way for me to connect with my friends and relax.

I made a list of the priority shit that had to get done each day:
>sleep (7-8 hrs)
>eat (2300 cals)
>go to work and get shit done
>go to class
>make this much progress on my homework
>workout 1-2 hrs or go to kendo practice
>extracurricular commitments

If I could check off all these boxes, I would play games with my free time. Typically I wouldn't game more than 1-2 days during the week but on the weekends I'd binge 10-12 hours across Saturday and Sunday. I typically got in enough socialization across my extracurrics and school/work.

Just to avoid becoming a stagnant worker bee/NEET personality, though, I made one other rule for myself:

After my priorities are done, if the opportunity arises for me to do something I haven't done before and/or makes me feel uncomfortable, just fucking do it. The only exception I had was for shit that crossed my ethical boundaries (e.g., drugs).

I built up a good sense of what made me happy and unhappy, and I could manage my otherwise insane stress levels. I'm graduating now, having overcome suicidal depression and with a number of good job offers in hand. I'm not swole or even Veeky Forums, but I'm making good progression in all my lifts and in my weight for the past 6 months.

You can do it, /g/entleman /user/.

To do lists are key
Daily weekly monthly and general goals

tl;dr
yes if you spend 16 hours a day sitting, its healthier to lay down for 16 hours a day than it is to sit because if you lay down on your back at least your posture doesn't get fucked up

I have ADD, so video games can be like crack, they're just like anything else and can be addicting. setting rules can be the best way to overcome wasting your life on video games. I use to be very bad (played all of Skyrim on PS3 three times in it's entirety) so ik what it's like to be a gamercuck, if you're too bad just sell it or keep it at someones house.

be quiet

Yeah I really need more structure. Thanks for the advice, user.

im bad at balance too, i either go one way or the other. But for me it helps to keep records, and make a list if things that need to be done. and when they are done i reward myself.

I stopped playing games, joined a rowing club, i row about 20km a week, i try to add one km every week to the pot tho. Ive lost about 9kg of fat over the last 3 months, things are going well.

The key it to reward yourself, with games or food or fap, never reward if you fail. Do this day by day.
Record everything, i keep a fit and a weight diary, tick those boxes user

Im a gamer, go to university (programmer), work on the side and go to the gym 4 times a week. Your time management must suck, and im a lazy person myself.