Back pain

Who else here /injured back/ here? Started physical therapy last week, haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks. It isn't a herniated disc apparently (apparently a physical and an X-ray yielded enough evidence to rule it out) but it's been fucking my shit up since last November

been there lad.
its fucking hell.
practice form every session with no weight on the bar
use legpress if you can.
find whatever you do in your daily life that might damage your back, get a better chair or sit up straight at your computer, etc.

I cut out leg press after a while when my whole pelvic area began to cramp as I lowered the platform. Stopped lower body completely. When I got back home from university I finally had time to visit a physician and end up in pt where I belong. Can I ask how long you took to recover if you did? Did you do pt?

Shameful self-bump

So it's most likely either a bulging disc or a sciatic nerve issue.
If it's the latter I've had the same and am around 75% full recovered (i aggravated it so it's still getting better) unweighted glute bridges work wonders. Do a few sets of 30, or however many you can do atm.
If it's a bulging disc find out what kind. There some good vids online by this Mexican doctor on YouTube discussing this, check it out. Obviously tell your physio what helps/hurts so they can help you better, if you find one that lifts that's even better.
Above all don't try to "power through it". You'll make it a lot worse and delay your recovery by many more months. You'll be just fine, keep your head up bro

Thank you user, I'll check it out!

Physical therapy is a meme. Keep your money

similar boat ... have sciatica in my left leg

just had my 4th PT appointment yesterday & feel better than I have in MONTHS

my squat is low but my back feels great - besides I'm on a cut so I don't need to throw around 500 lbs

get better soon & good luck!

Got surgery for my herniated disc just about 2 months ago after dealing with sciatica for a couple of years.

Glad to be better but fuck I miss lifting like I used to, everything I can do now is super light with no back arching, but all things in time I suppose, not gonna rush into something and get hurt again. But shit if I don't feel weird DB rowing 15s

With insurance it's not too bad. I figure if it was not proven to be effective insurance companies would never shell out for it

yeah, that's pretty not correct and actually is complete bullshit

I thought I had sciatic pain but it was really just my left hamstring being so tight that it would send pain shooting through my back whenever I stretched it. My hamstrings are extremely tight from years of being sedentary so they have me stretching them. Hopefully it will yield results in a few weeks

How did you get the injury?

I've been doing a lot of hamstring stretches - mine are tight

PT has been doing dry-needling and massage therapy on my left glute muscle and has been making a huge difference

Friday I'll get to spend some time in traction

How long have you been lifting, what are your stats height/weight and how did you get yourself injured?

I am getting paranoid as fuck now that I'm close to twice my bodyweight on squats/dl

Bent over rows caused the initial injury, squats and deadlifts made it worse. I used to be a 140 lb 6'3" sedentary skeleton and now I'm a 167 lb skeleton. Suffice to say I had little experience going in and the injury was me being dumb

I've had some lower back pain in my tailbone area for over a month now. It started with bad deadlift form and was probably made worse with bad OHP form. On Friday I tried to squat and that was the last straw apparently because my back was in agony for about three days. I had to take a fuck ton of ibuprofen and lie in bed for the whole weekend.

My back doesn't hurt as bad now but there's still a sharp pain whenever I sit up or do anything involving my lower back. I don't have money or insurance. What should I do Veeky Forums?

What's dry needling? My pt has had me on tns electrodes. I don't think it has long term effects but it drowns out pain and feels good while I'm on it at least

See
I'm nowhere close to what you're on. I've been lifting for about 7 months now. I think I'm somewhat of a physical anomaly because I'm so imobile, the height doesn't help either.

Shit wrong post
See

I'm 5'10 190 lb im scared as fuck to squat 350 and dling almost 400. But so far form is on point. Hope you recover

similar to acupuncture but instead of hitting qi spots, it hits the muscle/tendon that's tight or causing pain

Save up and go to a physician. You want to find out what it is ASAP and see what course of action you can take with your financial situation.

>fuck up my back between shit labour job and deadlifts
>2 years pass
>skinnyfat and weak
>getting back into it
>cut the fat, last week now and I'm 62kg/137lbs @ 175cm/5'9
>back to skelly
I was always afraid of getting too fat and didn't really commit. When I first lifted I was 56kg and went up to 70 but panicked because I barely even had an ab belt. I would honestly like to just bulk now right up to ~80-85kg (over the next 18 months or so) and then cut. What do you guys think?

Been lifting for a year and a couple of months started at 65kg and currently weighting 85-86

lifts still increasing (very slowly now) but feeling a little bit bloated. Afraid to lose strength if I cut so when I finally stall on everything I'm just gonna switch to a ppl and cut.

What have your dl/squat/bench/ohp gone from in that time? My back exploded and my deadlift was ~2x bodyweight but everything else was really lagging

My take on this, having still a bit of lower back pain wich appears to be muscular (might well be your case, takes long time to heal there apparently) would be :
-No weight reverse hyperextesions (on your bed works fine)
-Some stretching, my physical therapist showed me a few, you can ask the same
-Self massage
-Hangin on a pullup bar or similar thing with your feet on the ground, and slowly working up to feet not touching the ground. Spine decompression might help you a lot but you don't want to be too quick about it. (same when having feet touch the ground again, actually compressed my spine a bit once by going back on my feet too fast)
-Time. As long as it takes

Also, try going back to the gym with little to no weights and grinding slowly, getting comfortable with shit as it heals. Losing a bit of muscle because of too low/no exercise is still a very low price to pay compared to never being able to put on mass ever.

Duly noted. Pullup bar may help, I can't sit for too long without my back muscles aching (except for in a car seat for some reason.)
How long have you had your low back pain? Have you seen a PT?

Started with the empty bar now I'm on 155 ohp 200 row 250 bench 330 squat 400 dl. Started with SS did some ppl/brosplits then switched to 5x5

Good work man and thanks for the answers. I'm doing 5x5 now hoping I can regain strength fairly quickly. Just going to add more volume/accessories as I progress I think

Mate fuck off telling people to hang from a pull-up bar, if someone has a disc injury and/or neuropathy decompression can cause people heaps of pain if you don't do it carefully (not hanging from a bar). The other advice you gave is ok. I'm a physio.

OP given that you've had it imaged and there were no serious neurological findings, the likelihood of a good recovery from this episode in the medium term is high. A graded return to activity is the way to go. No one can assess your condition without seeing you in person, so you're not going to get good advice off this basket weaving forum. Although it sounds like it's not very serious back pain with any red flags, it's still not good for people to give advice over the Internet

Also, you are right in thinking that electrode treatments, dry needling and manual therapy like massage have short term effects only. They can be a tool to deal with pain that is really uncomfortable, but it's probably not worth paying lots of money for those if they are the only component of treatment (eg if you are managing the pain quite well after a while). However, the real benefit of physiotherapy is that the physiotherapist can basically make sure nothing really serious is going on, then give you advice about pain management strategies, exercise and gradually returning to activity. Also (if they are good) to look at the potential trigger for the episode of pain, which could be snap city form etc

OP here, thanks for the words physio user

Then it's bulging, it's hard to hear but I hurt mjne in November of last year too. Still numbing pains but I can bemd now. Just drop lifting get into pt and do bodyweight if you HAVE to workout. Be careful if you feel any pain STOP.

I herniated a low disc about 2 years ago. The pain reoccurs once in a while and I've had a couple blowouts since the og injury, shit sucks.

That said at least for my injury core strength is my best friend and helps maintain it. When I fuck it up, I get nerve pain into my calves and wicked back spasms, can't sit for too long either.