Has anyone done ManletDestiny's novice routine?

Has anyone done ManletDestiny's novice routine?

He speaks and acts like a retard but the routine actually seems ok except for the floor press and box squats.

Ive been doing ppl for a couple months but this seems a bit better. Anyone done it?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/
t-nation.com/training/back-squats-vs-box-squats
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its full body so its good by default.

Might want to add in standing calf raises on A and seated calf raises on B at the end of the workouts.

Is it better than ppl

Floor press builds strength off the bottom from a dead stop

Box squats are there for posterior chain you already get your quad work from trap bar DLs

The program is designed for general strength not bench/squat/dead/ohp

But wtf is close grip bench? How close of a grip? I got shoulder problems so it's kind of uncomfortable unless it's exactly shoulder width.

Shoulder width

His general rule is a thumb away from the smooth portion in the middle and despite being a foot taller than him this works for me as well. Another way to tell is to put your arms straight up while lying on the bench and that's your grip width

So I guess I've always done it close grip then?

Anyway could you explain the box squat thing? I dont really understand the value.

yes, by far. ppl is horrid for natties.

Idk I kind of enjoyed it. I was even cutting and made some gains.

>pendlay rows
>floor press
>SLDLs and good mornings
>box squats
>in a novice routine

But why?

>no rear delt

nope the routine is good BECAUSE of box squats and floor press, and how it works with all the other exercises

>Pendlay rows
>OHP
>Chins
>No rear delt

lol

The whole purpose of them is to work the glutes hamstrings and to a certain extent the lower back.

He is a big proponent of posterior chain development over quad development since posterior chain helps more with athletics and being quad dominant can fuck up your knee health. He also like the box squat in that it's easy to learn the form and it also teaches the movement pattern well so if you want to move into free squats the transition isn't difficult.

Why not?

It also helps your strength out of the hole by building dead stop strength just like in the floor press

I heard the box squat is for those with some sort of a base though.

My lifts right now: 3x chinups with no weight, 145x5 bench, 225x5 deadlift, 185x5 squat. Will this be good for me to do

Also I have a shoulder injury and was specifically said to not do overhead triceps extension should I replace it then

Damn you guys are making me want to ditch the fucking PPL and start this routine next week.

Especially since Im tired of being in the gym 6 days a week.

Nah if anything I would say it's better for beginners

Yes it'll be good for you, it's supposed to get you to 1/2/3/4 x5. And as for the shoulder injury you're gonna have to. I recommend pushdowns, try to find something that hits the long head.

Ok thanks!

I'm going to get going on this next week then. Is his intermediate/advanced routine any good? What should I progress to after?

Depend on your goals at that point.

I like it so far but I haven't been doing it long enough to give a legit review 2bh. Definitely takes some know how to pick smart exercise.

Okay thanks

What's the point of box squats?

I'm not trying to antagonize, I sincerely want to know.

"If you don’t have a box/bench/platform/object to sit on, then you really don’t have any other options. Otherwise, squat off a box. It will allow you to recover better than a free-squat, give you less knee pain, develop explosiveness, provide immediate deadlift carryover, and strengthen the posterior chain like you’ve never seen before. Plus, your depth will be below parallel 100% of the time."

What's with all the meme exercises? A beginner who maxes out at like 1 plate has no business working on lockout strength with a floor press. They will fail off the chest in that situation. ManletDestiny is cashing in on novelty, and novelty means meme routines

>only deadlifting with a trap bar or doing SLDL
>doesn't recommend any sort of box
>isolated ab exercise 3 times a week
That anyone listens to any of the youtube fitness community is shockingly stupid

>provide immediate deadlift carryover
???
>strengthen the posterior chain
like above, absolutely no evidence that isn't anecdotal
>recover better than a free squat
well yeah, making things easier makes the recovery easier. doesn't mean it's good for you
>develop explosiveness
how would box squats promote explosiveness over a conventional backsquat that requires you to lift yourself out of the hole?

>this
tell me please that this is some new meme program... there aren't even weight stated and all these meme exercises... i want to kill myself just from looking at it

You're the one that's a retard tho.

Trapbar deadlifts are superior to conventional unless you're a powerlifter.

>YouTube fitness community

Isn't discrediting people based on that a logical fallacy, not to mention retarded?

>Ab exercises are bad
explain how training intraabdominal pressure is bad for beginners.

You know Alex didn't invent the box squat, right? It's been used by powerlifters for ages.

>how would box squats promote explosiveness over a conventional backsquat

Because you're pushing from a deadstop and not utilizing the stretch reflex.

You have no argument besides calling them "memes".

Trapbar deadlifts are superior.

Box squats are good.

Floor press is excellent.

>Weight stated
the progression is outlined on the page.

>from a dead stop
you know you can just pause the bar on your chest and enjoy the full range of motion. Letting the floor stop you every rep as a beginner is just dooming you for snap city later on.
>general strength not bench/squat/dead/ohp
>bench/squat/dead/ohp
>not giving general strength
am I missing something

Paused bench is horrific for beginners.

Floor press on the otherhand trains the most common sticking point.

He means that the program is not a POWERLIFTING program that specifically trains competition lifts

>calling something good enough means it's good
fuck off Alex
>>YouTube fitness community
No, I'm not discrediting him for being a fitness YouTuber. Rip, Wendler, and Pendlay have all been on YouTube. I am discrediting him for giving bad advice, like many others in the community that do the same thing
>used by powerlifters for ages
Why would a beginner need it?? The stretch reflex is something the beginner NEEDS to learn if they expect to make progress to intermediate and advanced stages with proper form, just like you don't ride a bike with training wheels the whole time
>>ab exercises are bad
a beginner training the compound lifts with good form and proper engagement does not need to supplement ab exercises, with weight, three times a week. That is just begging for a strain if you're a skellington
>>trapbar deadlifts are superior
with absolutely no argument behind it

>Trapbar deadlifts are superior.
>Box squats are good.
>Floor press is excellent.
>saying everything is better without any reasonable explanation
you are doing the same shit...

this, people that hate on alphadestiny always come off as stupid.
its just a recurring thing.

You do not need to train those lifts in a competition capacity to gain general strength. You don't need wraps, thick belts, sleeves, or even powerlifting cues. Doing them with proper form and full range of motion (while activating ALL the reflexes and full ROM) will do more than enough for general strength

>rack pulls with like 1100 lb and 1 inch ROM at 5'5
>general strength, brah

>No argument behind it
there's plenty, here's a GOOD, long article.
strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

Is this article by Greg Nuckols explaining why trapbar deads are good enough for you? Or too much reading for your brain?

t-nation.com/training/back-squats-vs-box-squats

>trying to convince beginners to take your advice
>calling other people stupid for criticizing a program they object to
you sure showed them

Because literally 99% of the criticisms of him are: things he can't control or his appearance(lol manlet and pedo mustache xD isis beard lol), simply dogmatic (rippletits and others said barbell deadlifts are best so they must be best, fuck actual indepth look into them), or "lol he does silly looking exercises therefore they don't work"

Every single downside he mentioned about the conventional deadlift can easily be fixed by just learning proper form and not trying to ego lift like a moron

>higher handles for low hip ROM
learn to stretch. then again at like 250 the guy probably has no concept of this
>hyperextension
literally have never seen this and doubt it is a problem if you just stand straight up
>mixed grip
>imbalances
just switch it up every time
>easier to learn
Everybody I have ever seen do a trap bar deadlift, without proper guidance, turns it into a hack squat. The line is so blurry, there is no reason not to switch to conventional deadlift in this situation, in my opinion

>t-nation.com/training/back-squats-vs-box-squats
>Mobility and Depth
>Winner: The squat.
>Squat grade: Mobility & Depth: C
>Box squat grade: Mobility & Depth: B+
>changing opinion throughout article
>wut

>silly looking exercises
No, they are just plain silly. Intentionally cutting off crucial points in the left by teaching someone floor press and box squat from the very beginning is only going to get them hurt because they are not even being conditioned to the full range of motion. His short ROM rack pull puts an immense amount of pressure on the spine for such a short lift.

>My parents got me a weight set when I was 10. It was a small bar (not an Olympic bar) that could only hold 250 pounds. I rushed down on Christmas morning, and, as any true future bro would do, I maxed out on everything. That first morning, I bench pressed 150 and deadlifted all 250 pounds with ease.

>deadlifting 250 at ten years old
>deadlifting more than the record for anyone that age right after touching a barbell
k

When did you squat over 700lbs?

>not lifting as much as him makes him immune to any criticism
>not lifting as much as him means he can say whatever bullshit he wants, and people should believe him because he lifts a lot
>people might actually have different fitness goals than a fat powerlifter who constantly reminds people his numbers were drug-free because he needs that much more validation
This is the same logic the Lilliebridges to peddle their retarded routine and training to naturals and beginners.

>Bullshit
>Actually cites and discusses the biomechanics of movements and various studies

You're making it seem like he just says broscience then cites "I squat more than your total" as his references.

deadlifting 250+ the day he touched a bar at 10 years old doesn't strike you as odd in any way? I didn't address his evidence-backed points. He just comes off as a douche with that article about world records, and his constant reminding everyone that he was drug free to do a 3x bodyweight squat, presumably with some degree of equipment, is cringeworthy

Only kneewraps. And honestly I never even read that part, actually. I just read the articles and they're good.

Greg is a genetic freak, like every other world class lifter

if you had ever met a world class lifter and watch them train, you would know that they're nothing like you and I, they start off with stupid strength untrained and then never seem to stall

This. Look at Pete Rubish or Clarence Kennedy. They were strong AF as teens.

>Floor press
>Lockout strength
pick one

Why are they meme exercises? because it's not bench/squat/deadlift? A novice isn't a powerlifter and unless they want to be a powerlifter later there's no reason to limit yourself to those exercises.

Pause bench and floor press are not the same thing. That's the same thing as comparing the box squat and pause squat. He has said before if you can't touch your chest then elevate you body slightly on a block of mats to get full ROM.

Also
>Implying bench/squat/dead/ohp is the ONLY way to develop general strength.
Just because it's different than what you're used to does not mean it's bad lmao actually look at the program don't get distracted by the exercises.

The box you squat off of is supposed to be the depth that you would squat to in a free squat, and I would argue dead stop strength is more important than relying on the stretch reflex, especially if you only want to squat to parallel. You lie on a block/mats to get full ROM floor press, Alex has said this many times in videos, and you do close grip benching anyway.

I know this might sound crazy but the competition lifts are not the only worthwhile lifts out there. They aren't even the best lifts out there.

Honestly it pains me to say this but Alex is legit af despite looking like a moron and acting like one.

Yeah don't get me wrong the guy is definitely autistic but his training advice is on point 99% of the time.

A lot of the stuff is just sooo dumb.

Dips with 200lbs? What the fuck you're going to tear your shoulder right off.

>The alpha male shit

Oh brother... Especially the earlier videos

Yeah the alpha male shit is definitely cringey.

I could see why he'd want a super heavy dip though since he came from calisthenics. A lot of is goals are kind of random but I think that's why he enjoys his training more than most people, it's not always "I'm trying to get my squat to ___"