Tricep extensions

Why are tricep extensions done like A and not B? I feel like B would activate the tricep better

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4592763/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23537028
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26244600
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27677913
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not a U bar and or a rope
Triceplet detected

Overhand hits long head, underhand hits the short head.

this, you should do both OP

I did not know this. Only ever seen overhand done. From now on I will do both. thanks

my wrists hurt if I do like B

I do A because u get angrier while doing B

>doing tricep extensions at all
>training the arms directly at all
It is a waste of time, makes you injury prone and its uselss if you already do compounds

You're retarded as shit

No I aint

Heavy compounds already stimulate enough growth in the arms, doing specific arm work next to it does do jack shit except waste time and damage joints. Tricep extensions are notorious for elbow tendinitis

how's your first month of powerlifting going? They actually use isolation exercises you know. good luck on your road to 3pl8 deadlift!

Wow great argument there bud

yeah no I actually deadlift over 5 plates. Anyway its not just my opinion but its support by actual scientific studies that direct arm work does not provide additional growth when a person already does compounds

Not him but
>citation needed

Compounds are enough? Is that why both GSLP and SS recommend adding chinups and other accessory work?
Shut your mouth up you uneducated faggot

This has got to be the best bait ever in fit, so many ppl fell for the no arms workout and have SS legs and nothing else.

Chinups are not a compound exercise? lmao the level of knowledge on this board kek

Wrong on 2 ends.

1. The triceps has 3 heads, lateral head, medial head and long head.

2. The triceps inserts at the ulna, which does not change it's position upon supination or pronation so you can't activate different muscles this way.

The lateral and medial head's origin is the humerus, so simple elbow extension is enough to activate those muscles to a maximum extend. The long head stretches over 2 joints, the elbow and the shoulder so it has 2 functions, elbow and shoulder extension. A good example for this are "the fourth powerlift" as Rippetoe refers to it it, a sort of lying triceps extension and pullover hybrid.

Back to your question, why do people prefer doing triceps extensions with pronated hand position instead of supinated? Simple. It feels fucking awkward to have to hold the bar like that and you're not able to move as much weight, so it's less effective. If you prefer them, you can do it like that.

You guys are living in a world which is heavily unfluenced by bodybuilders on steroids. I'm not saying direct arm work doesnt work, I'm saying direct arm work is useless if you already do heavy compounds, like; bench press, dips, chin ups, rows etc etc. Unless you have a special reason theres no need to do them

I repeat, this is not just my opinion, this is backed by scientific studies I will link below. I myself also was fooled by the bodybuilders into thinking you need direct arm work, I quit doing them and I even gained size on my arms purely because I got stronger on my compounds

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4592763/
This study compares isolations to compound movements in its own. As in if what difference would be if someone isolated every single muscle in exercise form vs someone who just did compounds. Well they saw the same results, you think they didnt do bicep curls?

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23537028
This study compares just doing compounds, in this case; bench press and lat pulldowns versus doing them together with bicep curls and tricep extensions. Well they found no significant difference, meaning they got the same growth in their arms. This concludes that doing direct work after doing compounds does not provide additional growth in DYELs, so SS providing no arms gains is basicly a myth. You just need do focus on getting stronger in the upperbody, maybe even add rows and dips

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26244600
This study compares the same thing but in experienced lifters, again they saw no difference in adding direct arm work.

>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27677913
This is a review of all the data out there again backing my statement

Again, I'm not saying dont do them, you could if you have a special reason. They do not add additional size to the arms though. This does not mean dont do accessories, like I said dips and chin ups are compounds and great exercises

I only do A when I have my fitness plug in.

>Heavy compounds already stimulate enough growth in the arms
This is wrong, this is so fucking wrong I'd like to punch you for spreading misinformation. My first 10 months I lifted without isolating my arms. During my first year I reached a point where during pressing movements, the bottom portion was easy but everything else was hard. Simply put, my triceps were too weak. I started incorporating skullcrushers 1-2x a week and lo and behold, suddenly my numbers jumped up. Arm isolation isn't just for bodybuilders, it's for everyone who wants to push any kind of weight.

My personal experience corroborates exactly what those studies say, thanks for providing something more concrete.

I'm a programming minimalist, so when I found bench/rows/ohp/pullups weren't doing it for my arms I just added dips and chins with great success.

Did you do dips? They did wonder's for my tris. also see .

>this is wrong
No it isnt seeNot my fault you had shit technique and did low volume. shouldve added dips or soemthing
>my first 10 months
oh yeah that means that youre so knowledgeable lmao, I bet your anecdotal evidence trumps the scientific data actually measured by scientists

Because grip strength will limit you earlier on B.

No, I didn't do anything aside from the core SS program but adding weighted chinups.
By now I'm lifting for almost 2 years and I've seen good gains in both size and strength and did what worked for me. I can't argue with scientific data, so it might have been the lack of volume in my case.

No problem dude

I think the main problem with these guys is their form. They learn from bodybuilders to change a compound movement in such way that it isolates the main mover (think of doing a wide grip for bench press) so they get minimal arm growth from it. Or doing a variation of pullups and skewing the range of motion. Also likely they dont treat their pulling movements as serious as the rest so they lack on bicep growth

>so it might have been the lack of volume in my case.
Very likely since the main problem with SS is that the volume for the upperbody is too low. Though if you read the book it does say to add dips and another exercise(forgot) after 3 months which I think is solid advice

>using cables

How about you grab an EZ bar and do some close grip bench press, and then some skullcrushers faggot. Your triceps will be in a world of pain because that faggot shit you do doesn't train them anywhere near to their limits.

I don't see anything about the diet of the subjects in these studies.