Boxing critique

youtube.com/watch?v=Lo1FH_G7CmY&feature=youtu.be

Hey Veeky Forums I started a boxing thread yesterday. Good discussion albeit short, thanks to everyone that replied.

There are no boxing gyms in my area so I've been doing it solo, and I know that won't get me very far but still I'd like to know what I did right and wrong throughout my time doing it.

Thanks again

i know nothing about boxing but that looked pretty solid to me. i want to learn how to box as well

if you think boxing is gonna save you from a savage pounding to your fart box, you have no idea what world of pain you're going to find yourself in.

Thank you

But I think I would get knocked out by a guy who really goes to a gym that trains amateurs and amateurs going pro. Right now I can't compete, but I want to.

You need to work on footwork

You look good, I'm a Muay Thai/BJJ fag so not to good with boxing, but try to twist your hips more when throwing your shots. I can't see too well because your trackie dacks are dark along with the background but looks pretty good. Just keep hands up and remember to snap them back as fast as you throw them out.

Got it. Move around a lot more after every shot or combo.

Yes I seen that's my biggest flaw ... too much arm not enough hip or even core when I punch. Big no no.

Let me ask you, if that was an actual opponent instead of just a bag, do you think I was too close the whole time? I feel as if I was in arms reach I would get blasted with combos ... and I was moving but a bit too relaxed considering how close I was to the bag.

you're way too stiff, loosen up your shoulders, bend your back more and your neck less, and use your hips.

you're lifting your rear leg meaning you aren't bracing against the ground when you punch. your stance is too linear and you aren't putting your body under your punches.

also try hitting the bag harder.

I too thought boxing would save me from a pillaging to my sphincter.

Not much snap in your jabs, focus on really 'throwing' your hand and stiffen your body/wrist on contact. Punch 'through' the target.

Your stance is sometimes too front on, and you move on and off your heels too often.

Plant your heels only when you're absorbing a shot or when you're sinking in a power shot, otherwise stay on your toes.

This. Also sit on your punches. You're coming off the ground throwing jabs. You need to push your body weight down.

Also you're staying in the same range (the kill zone). Need to move in and out of that kill zone

Overall not bad tho

>>
I trained for a bit over a year but been away from it due to injury. By no means am I an expert but I'll chip in.

Like most people said you need to work on your form. A punch's power starts from the feet/legs and moves through your body out to your hand. Utilize more muscles by bracing feet, twisting hips and rotating shoulders and you'll get more power in the punches. Hard to explain but look up videos online and you'll understand.

Practice distance more as well. As someone said don't remain in the kill zone after throwing punches. My trainer said distance/reach is key and it is hard to master. Your jabs for example should connect when your arm is fully extended, learn how to move from jabbing distance to hook/uppercut reach.

I think it's one of the hardest sports, and definitely challenging. I also think that it's not for "smart" people really, because you take so many hits to your head.

Meant for OP

Btw does someone here really practice boxing? I have a question.

Like 10 years ago when i was 13, i did boxing for like an year. When we punched a bag, my coach most of the time wanted me to not actually hit the bag. Like he wanted fast and explosive blows, but only barely touching the bag, so that it didn't really move much despite the speed and force. Also he wanted me to quickly return (punch backwards) my punches after hitting. Is that a normal thing? I always thought you do it like OP does..

Yes, been boxing for 2.5 years. Your coach is 100% correct and that is amazingly good advice - he was trying to help you develop a good snapping punch. Most people think to throw a punch you bunch up your fist really tight and punch/push as hard as you can. But punching is like a whipping motion. Like throwing a baseball. No one throws a baseball by clenching their fist tight and pushing it as hard as they can. It's a relaxed, whipping motion and the same is true for a boxer's punch. It'll take you at least a year to understand this, and the majority of people who start will never figure it out.

Boxing is a very acoustic sport - your punches should pop on the bag if you are snapping your punches and it should shake the bag instead of swinging the bag. If you're pushing your punches it will be a dull thud and the bag will swing wildly

you want to barely touch the bag because that practices connection your punch at your maximum reach

Thx for the replies. It's a really difficult sport and just wasn't for me..

Genuinely curious here, do you:
A. Not intend to box real people, therefore not risking permanent brain damage.
B. Do not know/haven't looked into the dangers of repeated head trauma, even sub-concussive damage.
C. Don't care in the slightest because boxing is edgy and you think it will help you get chicks/make friends.

Study the champions for perfect form - you want to be learning from the best

It's very technical. But it sounds like you had a really knowledgable coach. Some people take boxing to learn to fight, but the more boxing you learn, the more worthless how useless any martial art is against an attacker with a simple knife. In boxing you learn to deflect blows so that you don't eat the full force of it. If a person has a knife, simply deflecting or blocking doesn't do much good.

tl:dr - only do boxing if you like the sport/science of it

>been doing Muay Thai and some boxing for ~2.5 yrs

You have a good base but a couple things to work on:

1. I'm not sure if it's just the dark video but it doesn't look like you're turning over your jabs. When you connect on straight punch your palm should be facing the floor.

2. A few of your hooks looked like it was all coming from the arm/shoulder and that you were dropping your hand down before throwing it (a big tell). You generate the force from your hooks from your hips and entire body really, your arm should not really move a ton but your hips should. For example, if you're throwing a left hook your left foot is going to pivot on the ground like you're putting out a cigarette. Watch some vids of how Tyson throws a hook.

I would also suggest throwing some basic combos for practice:

1. Jab
2. Jab Cross
3. Jab Cross Left Hook
4. Jab Cross L Hook Cross
5. Jab Cross L Hook R Hook
6. Cross Hook Cross

Also, you alternate up on the hooks with some to the body and some to the head.

The only downside with just a heavy bag and not a mitt holder is you can't do uppercuts but don't worry about those for a while

D. Develop huge quads, calves, and hamstrings