Texas method thread

Post your Texas method templates and critique others. Different strength routines also welcome. I'll start:
>Monday:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Pendlay rows 5x5
Curls 3x8
Hanging leg raises 2xF

>Wednesday:
OHP 5x5
Front squat 3x3
Dips 3x5
Power clean 3x3
Chin-ups 3x5

>Friday:
Squat 1x5
Bench 1x5
Deadlift 1x5
Curls 3x8
Hanging leg raises 2xF

Other urls found in this thread:

victoria901.deviantart.com/gallery/
t-nation.com/training/texas-method
victoria901.deviantart.com/art/yeah-looks-fine-678255960
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gib milky

Fucking hell, why do I laugh at this stupid shit

A man who needs milkies isn't a laughing matter.

>you will never fall asleep with your head on her boobs while she strokes your hair

No matter what template of TM you do, you must deadlift twice a week! Jut do some ligther varition at least.

Are low volume power cleans on Wednesday, as in the template I posted, still ok as the deadlift variation? I also noticed that my deadlift progresses just fine even from squats alone, without deadlifting at all for weeks

That's what they are intended to be. A lighter pulling session. Bill Starr was an advocate for using Power Cleans in that way, to boost the Deadlift while providing less stress, and Ripp was very much influenced by Starr.

If you don't like the Cleans, DO NOT REPLACE THEM WITH ROWS. Use a Stiff-Leg Deadlift or Romanian Deadlift for 2x5 or similar instead.

> Texas Method for Powerlifting
The overview for this program appears in the 3rd Edition and begins around page 170 of the PDF version. Below is the general layout for the weekly workouts, intended for a percentage-based training cycle of 12 weeks, where week #1 is the first week of the training cycle, and week #12 ends in a competition.
> Squat 5x5, Bench 3-5x5, Clean 5x3
> Squat 2x5 light, Press 3x5, Clean 3x3 light
> Squat 5x1, Bench 5x1, Deadlift 3x1
For the 3-5x5, during the course of the cycle, you start with 5x5 at maybe 70% of 1RM and add weight each week, when it's too much to do for 5x5, work up to a top set of 5 and make the remaining 4x5 as lighter backoff sets for volume, reducing weight by maybe 10% for them. For "light" work use about 20% off the 5x5/5x3 weight.
The singles should mimic meet conditions in terms of equipment, pauses, and commands as well, if possible. The Squat and Bench may drop to 3x1 by the end of the cycle, and the Deadlift may drop to 1x1, but at no time are actual 1RMs to be attempted in training. No reps should be missed and no attempts should be complete grinders during the course of this cycle. Start these at about 90% of a known or estimated 1RM, and they should initially feel light and doable.
In about week #7, if possible, shift the rest of the schedule to Tue/Thu/Sat and train on Saturday mornings to mimic the typical competition schedule. The intensity workout in week #10 will be the last heavy one of the cycle, and the volume workout in week #11 will be the last heavy one of the cycle; after this workout, drop the Power Clean from training. The intensity day of week #11 works up to one single at the planned meet opening attempts, and only one more workout occurs, in the middle of week #12, perform 3 sets of 2-3 reps at 75-80% of the planned final attempts for Squat and Bench Press only, then rest for the competition (which is usually on a Saturday).

> Texas Method Split for Powerlifting
The overview for this program appears in the 3rd Edition and begins around page 181 of the PDF version under the name “Four-Day Texas Method: Version #2.” Below is the weekly layout for the two “phases” of the program.
Phase I
> Bench 5x5, Press 3x8, LTE 3x10-12
> Squat 5x5, Clean 5x3, Chins 3xMax
> Bench 5x1, Press 1x5, Dips 3xMax
> Squat 1x5, Deadlift 1x5, Row 3x10
Phase II
> Press 5x5, Bench 3x8, LTE 3x10-12
> Squat 5x5, Clean 5x3, Chins 3xMax
> Press 5x1, Bench 1x5, Dips 3xMax
> Squat 5x1, Deadlift 1x2, Row 3x10
The Squat and Deadlift will progress on 1x5 until they can’t anymore, and then those two lifts would switch to 5x1 and 1x2. Progress the Bench emphasis on Phase I as long as possible, then switch for a while to the Press emphasis, and back again.

Who is she?

I wish I knew

victoria901.deviantart.com/gallery/

thank you!

What is LTE?

Texas Method is a pretty neat template. This is what I am doing. PR day tomorrow. I suck at chin ups though.

I did paused deadlift 3x3. Moderate weight.

There's hardly any back work in this routine. Are you TM guys finding your backs lagging?

Yeah. But I just care about getting my numbers up. Maybe you can add some compound back exercise on a rest day?

If you're referring to the routine from the OP, there's much more back work than in the TM routines from the book and those usually posted on Veeky Forums

Did you do SS before Texas method and if you did what where your numbers and how long did you do the routine?

Lying Tricep Extension. Basically a Skullcrusher or a French Press done while lying on the bench. Ripp likes them and that's his abbreviation for them.

I had a year off from lifting. I do a lot of shift work and can't make normal routine deadlines so texas method is pretty relaxed.

On SS my lifts were

135kg squats 3x5
140kg deadlift 5x1
77.5kg bench 3x5
55kg press 3x5

*at 75-78kg

> hardly any back work in this routine
> one compound every training day, rows, chins, deads
> get the fuck outta here

> High/Low – Low/High Texas Method Split
The overview for this program appears in the 3rd Edition and begins around page 184 of the PDF version and is described as one of the most difficult methods.
> Bench intensity, Press 5x5, LTE 3x10-12
> Squat intensity, Clean 5x3, Chins 3xMax
> Press intensity, Bench 5x5, Dips 3xMax
> Deadlift intensity, Squat 5x5, Row 3x10
Rotate the “Intensity” lifts through a 3-week schedule as follows: Squat and Bench rotate 2x3, 3x2, and 5x1. Press rotates 5x1, 2x3, and 3x2. Deadlift rotates 1x1, 1x3, and 1x2.

I ran this version for two years before I went to RTS for coaching, I increased the intensity days only after I had cycled through the 3 different schemes and used RPE to estimate my new max since I know maxing for the sake of maxing is a stupid idea

Is there anything wrong with doing TM in its most basic form as explained here? t-nation.com/training/texas-method

MONDAY
Squat5 x 5 @ 90% of 5RM
Bench Press or Overhead Press5 x 5 @ 90% 5RM
Deadlift1 x 5 @ 90% 5RM

WEDNESDAY
Squat2 x 5 @ 80% of Monday's work weight
Overhead Press (if you bench pressed Monday)3 x 5 * or
Bench Press (if OHP on Monday)3 x 5 @ 90% previous 5 x 5 weight
Chin-up3 x Bodyweight
Back Extension or Glute-Ham Raise5 x 10

FRIDAY
Squat:warm-up, then work up to one single, new 5RM
Bench Press, (if you bench pressed Monday) or
Overhead Press (if OHP on Monday):work up to one single, new 5RM
Power Clean or Power Snatch:5 x 3 / 6 x 2

I want to get thicc and I'm wondering whether or not it's necessary to add accessories.

too low upper body volume, especially the upper back volume

Holy fucking shit

I too am running this version of TM, and I for one belive that the volume is fine. Don't forget that OHP will stimulate growth in the upper back, so will the cleans/snatches along with chin-ups and deadlifts.

>mon
bench 3x5
squat 5x5
dead 2x3

>wed
press 3x5
squat 2x10

>fri
bench 3x5
squat 3x5, new max
dead 2x3, new max

>sun
press 3x5
squat 3x5
dead 5x1, 90% holds

press and bench go up by 1 kg whenever i feel like it, usually every week but sometimes i skip the increment

How'd it work for you?

The main thing that wannabe powerlifters don't like about the basic format is that it only Benches 3x in 2 weeks; that's why the powerlifting formats exist (scroll up for a 3-day and two different 4-day versions).
Generally also the 3-day versions have a very long Monday workout and there's not a good place to put other upper-body accessories (Monday is long, Wed should be light, and Friday is kinda draining). That's why I usually recommend the 4-day split. A plain four-day split puts the volume days on Mon/Tue and the intensity days on Thu/Fri, alternates Bench and Press emphasis, and has good room for accessories on both days, usually Ripp likes Dips and LTEs on pressing days, and Chins/Pullups and Rows on squatting days.
I know of a couple of nattys who got pretty thic on the basic program, but a lot of people need more upper volume.
If you like the 3-day format and want to add accessories for bulking, I would do this: add isolation for arms on Wed, curls and LTEs etc., and add Dips (not weighted, just for volume) on Fri, plus isolation if you have the time.

>chins for back
>deads for back
Chins are for biceps, deads are for glutes and forearms.

Really well, stalled 5 or 6 times but I either increased or decreased the volume and carried on nicely. In the second year I was struggling to progress more so I added an extra day for volume and used the program over a 9 day training week which allowed me to continue progressing.

You're a faggot who's never lifted.

This thread is a gold mine, thanks guys!

she looks so soft and cuddly

victoria901.deviantart.com/art/yeah-looks-fine-678255960

Moved some of the volume from the main lifts to other exercises, added facepulls on recovery days

>mon
squat 3x5 90% friday
close grip bench/press 3x5 90% friday
deadlift 1x5
tire flip 3x5-8
pushups x100
farmers walk 3x100ft

>wed
squat 2x5 80% monday
press/close grip bench 3x5 90% last monday
chinups 3xf
facepulls 4x20
hyperext 5x10

>fri
squat 1x5
close grip bench/press 1x5
clean 5x3

anybody gib a thought about mixing PTW with Texas method? It would look like

Mon:

Squat 5x5 80-90% OF 5RM (start with 90% than do 2% drops unitl you stop at 80%)
Bench same
DL 2x3 with 80-90% of 5RM

Wed:

Pullups 7x max RPE 9
Dumbell row 3x8-12 RPE 9
Ab work 3x
HIIT Conditioning 7x20s max effort

Wed:

Front 3x3
Bench: 5x5 (90% of monday last set)
GHR: 3x8-12

Fri:

Squat 1x5
Bench 1x5
DL 1x5
CGBP: 3x8-12

Sat:

Pullups 7x max
Dumbell row 3x8-12
Ab work 3x
HIIT conditioning 7x20s max effort
+ some facepulls/curls any easy shit of your taste

also I think about switching bench for dips for some time

ohh shiet on second day is tuesday nowe wensday

all of your numbers are built on the foundation of your back. you'll progress for now and probably a while, but sooner or later you'll regret just chasing numbers.

what app is this

>Tue
Squat 5x5
Push 5x5

>Thu
Squat recovery
Push recovery
MAYBE chins

>Sat
Squat 1x5
Push 1x5
Deadlift 1x5

+ cardio daily

> going to the gym for this

whats wrong about that

The way rip denotes sets confuses me. Now 1x5 is one set of 5 right? Or is it the other way around? I've been doing the 3 day template from t nation and I want to give this one a try.

1x5 is one set of five repetitions

Volume is too low friend, especially for upper body. Even Ripp now recommends the 4/5 day split so that more volume can be accumulated without developing too much fatigue per session.

What kind of accessories can I add to this? I really like my cardio, and typically do 20 mins on the treadmill (2.5 ish miles), 20 mins row and 20 mins on bike. No problem doing that on off days but will I hurt progress, or if I were to add in accessories on the workout days themselves?

i laughed too user lol

bump

No