/owg/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

But what's the point -edition

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists
youtube.com/watch?v=_ojp1Q1qZHY
youtube.com/watch?t=672&v=c493I-PMNqo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zLiyvZOfA-s&t=154s
youtube.com/watch?v=muoqJ6FzpUk&t=35s
youtube.com/watch?v=bT7KoIzCxHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=b2nKyDcppV0
youtube.com/watch?v=jtovZkmTjQk
youtube.com/watch?v=i5Kp0w5f2Nc
instagram.com/p/BRCnfRLFcHJ/?taken-by=norikvardanian
youtube.com/watch?v=kV-0lNMUduA
youtube.com/watch?v=PhSea6iyreM
youtube.com/channel/UCopwiEzGid193hLUB0nAsDg/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=QodQHuO8uQU
youtube.com/watch?v=D9O6Wj44JZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=zvtECcmJdiI
instagram.com/p/BUhW8lzBEMi/?taken-by=rebeka_koha&hl=en
discord.gg/qDDnc6B
youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7yk-vdAD8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Let's bring /owg/ back to its glory guys, pls

making great gains on a vegan diet now. Not gonna go back.

t. 78kg BW 112 sn/135 cj

Don't. I'm on a plant based diet too, and making the same gains as before. On the plus side i feel like i have more energy due to more carbs.

What is /owg/'s opinion on brush vs bang style? My coach is a bit nazi about the brush style (bar almost sliding along thighs and not making a contact sound at all or it's just a delicate sound). Really something like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=zLiyvZOfA-s&t=154s

I feel like i have more control of the bar this way, but i also feel like it robs some power away because you use hips to a less extent

Then again with more bang i feel like the bar swings away easier, but i'm more snappy and get the bar higher, something like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=muoqJ6FzpUk&t=35s

thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=bT7KoIzCxHQ

youtube.com/watch?v=b2nKyDcppV0

technique is the reason why vardank is so stronk

try pulling the bar in as soon as it leaves the floor and just focus on pushing with the legs and staying over the bar should result in a strong but smooth finish

youtube.com/watch?v=jtovZkmTjQk

Dunno not the best cue for me atleast. That way it's eays to pull the bar too much in to the hips, causing it to loop away when extending

do no contact muscle snatch, you're still over exaggerating the hip movement if pulling the bar in causes it to go out lmao

beginner often forget that you still act on the bar even when it leaves the hips

matter of fact if your problem is looping try to minimize contact at the moment then slowly reintroduce it once you get good at muscle snatch

youtube.com/watch?v=i5Kp0w5f2Nc

instagram.com/p/BRCnfRLFcHJ/?taken-by=norikvardanian

youtube.com/watch?v=kV-0lNMUduA

on the last clip watch at around :50 how he's not emphasizing the hips coming through and focusing more on extending the legs and elbows up to finish

But i'm not a beginner tho, i'd call myself something like early intermediate

Sn 92
C&J 110
Fs 127.5
Bw 81

I have no problem keeping the bar close if i extend and drive with quads mostly, but i really miss the power that comes with a little more hip "smash"

Great links and great discussion tho

Aryamnov back
youtube.com/channel/UCopwiEzGid193hLUB0nAsDg/videos

U R BEGINNER THO

U R VERY BEGINNER THO

U DONT WANT TO CHANGE TEKNIK DONT ASK 4 IT OK?

the extra "power" you get from hip smash is making you inefficient in the long run

BUT CLARNACE CAN SMATCH AS 18I45 KG HEHE ME 2

he's not back he's trying to cash in like the rest of retired soviet lifters that's trying get into youtube like klokov

But It looks like Lasha is swinging the bar away just a bit, it's nothing big but it gives him a bit more fast turnover

he has only 350 followers and no english subtitles
also
>he's trying to cash in like the rest of retired soviet lifters that's trying get into youtube like klokov
nothing bad or wrong

watch as they progress through the weights, the bar swings less and less

he also wears a belt and has a big belly of course the bar wont come as straight as vardanian's

so did torokhtiy and lapikov and berestov even klokoff when they first started. more money means they can start to afford to hire a guy for subs and editing

>it's nothing big but it gives him a bit more fast turnover

having the bar swing does not give you a faster turnover lmao

I want to discuss teknik, not change it overnight

watch as they progress through the weight
Well it tends to be like that when it gets heavier. But these guys are fucking tanks, they could just reverse curl the bar up if they really wanted. But they just make it look easy snatching for keks

But it does. Like Greg Everett said:
>Banging the hips into the bar in any fashion will increase your speed under the bar by allowing you to change directions faster

The snappiest lifters tend to do this, use lot of hips. Try yourself.

>Greg Everett

is a retarded, look how many athletes are dropping from his team right now, he hasn't developed a proper lifter

i've been lifting for a long time and i can tell you banging the bar with your hips does not improve speed under the bar

youtube.com/watch?v=QodQHuO8uQU

were all friends.

So what you guys did / are going to do at the gym today?

I did

Drop snatch with jerk grip 50-60% of snatch
Power snatch from blocks (under knee) 3x3x70%
fence jumps
Back squat 6RM

how's jon doing nowadays?

I NEED TO FIND A DISCIPLINE THAT UNITES OLY LIFTING AND GYMNASTICS, ATLEAST POWERLIFTING AND CALISTHENICS. IT'S BEEN YEARS! I WANT TO DO BOTH! AND NO, CROSSFIT IS SHIT.

end of rant

Oly lifting and gymnastics go nicely together.

>Oly lifting and gymnastics go nicely together.

I know, but I can't find a respectable routine

>routine
You need programming, not a routine

Still, it doesn't exist

Why not get a coach

A coach in Olympic Gymnaslifting?

Oly coach
+
Gymnastics coach

Or just be a little crybaby and keep dreaming

Its too hard i tired it, your grip work will go to shit, and you'll feel taxed to shit. Right now im doing 90% bw training and one day weightlifting; clean+jerk, pause squat, and Romanian deadlifts. I do bench press, and cable rows 2x a week because they are a nice compliment to bw training.

Your programming sucks. You program too heavy to your needs.

jon's an obnoxious fucking noob

In one of his videos about a month ago he said his heart checkup wasn't good news. He didn't really elaborate on specifics but he talked about how he doesn't know how much longer he'll be around. Sad to see him have to deal with that shit.

I'm a noob still learning the movements but when I clean it feels like I'm landing on my toes and my balance is shitty. Any tips?

Slow pulls concentrate on keeping the balance on your whole foot

Mr. Moneybags over here.

>Implying old Donny/Jon/Spencer calstrength videos aren't maximum comfy

75 kg bw
150 FS
120 clean
100 jerk
Just

Nofap pls go. Jerk more.

80 bw

140 fs
110 clean
126 jerk from the front, 135 from the back

benis

>105kg max clean and jerk
>106kg max 3RM power clean from knee

explain this

Go for training blocks you stupid fuck. Do gymnastic shit for a month, and take a month off and focus on Oly lifting, rinse and repeat.

ur shit

tell us your fs max

let me guess:
>120kg
time to do your squats brah

Man, I feel week. How are your guys numbers so high?
>45kg snatch
>70kg clean
>55kg jerk

All while having a 140kg backsquat.
I need a coach 2bh

I'm also shit. 80 kg clean, 80 kg jerk. 125 kg back squat, 100 kg front squat. 75 kg BW. I also don't snatch.

nahhh fuck that noise, it would take too long to git good at either.

screw it, im done worrying about both. If i ever want to do oly again i got that one day to help me keep the groove intact.

155 FS, 185 BS u fucin turd

Ex-PLer here

oh man that snatch is buttery smooth

What happened to him?

>Ex-PLer here

So you spent years training how to move like a fat slug and now you wonder why you suck at explosive movements?

your ratios aren't so bad. gain some weight and double your back squat.

Genetic heart defect. Something's weird with the electrical firing of his heart, which can cause the upper and lower chambers to beat out of rhythm, combined with his heart being structurally abnormal. This caused him to suffer cardiac arrest last year. He was apparently technically dead for like 20 minutes. Now he has a defibrillator implanted in his side.

Dangers of steroids.

his dad had the same thing

he probably would have it even if he didnt roid

sheeeet, what a bummer.

it's not my fault noone introduced me to it

How to git gud at squats. 3x5 only got me to 105 before I plateaued hard. I did a AMRAP program with back off sets that took me to 125 before another plateau. Now I've deloaded back to 100 and I'm planning on doing 5x5 -> 3x5 and seeing how far that gets me.

Looking to improve my front rack position, shit sucks and my wrist hurts during it.

What sort of warm ups and exercises do you do for mobility prior to your workout?

youtube.com/watch?v=D9O6Wj44JZ4

youtube.com/watch?v=zvtECcmJdiI

aramnau shows the same thing around 7:16

>haha look how much of a whore I am! haha my butt is hanging out of my whore singlet at a fucking WL comp!

I hate women

Having trouble being able to bring up my arms enough for the front rack position. My coach says it's due to thoracic tightness, do you guys do any stretches for that specifically? What works for you?

Thanks user.
Would wrist wraps help keep my wrist from hurting too?

doesn't your coach not have any

if not why is he your coach?

He taught me one, I was just curious what all you guys do.

watch the videos about front rack i just posted

you can also practice your cleans with straps to warm up. just go v light if u r weak shits

can women for like

5 seconds

at anything

not be decrepit whores

where did it all go wrong

it's how they're wired

Stretching and shoulder mobility. Your wrist pain is most likely not even wrist pain. If your shoulders lack the mobility for the front rack position, your forearms stretch to make it work, which causes pain in your forearm tendons that you feel near the wrist. It's not the wrist at all.

Also rolling your forearms and just above the elbow with a lacrosse ball can help.

so about that Sharia Law...

women were a mistake

lmao. Good thing I dislike muslims too

Maybe if you curbed your autism a little you could have a oly qt of your own

maybe, but what's the point if they're all bland and uninteresting? all you have to do is look at Mattie Roger's social media feeds. she's a generic cunt

Don't you dare lump in my pretty Latvian princess Rebeka Koha with that Stacey, Mattie

i hate to break it to you lad, but she's most likely the same. here she is with problem glass and pink hair

instagram.com/p/BUhW8lzBEMi/?taken-by=rebeka_koha&hl=en

STOP TALKING POORLY ABOUT REBEKA

sorry senpai, but you have to remain a glass half full person

rebeka is succing ritvar's tiny teenage stronk penis

there is no way, that nigga looks like ass

so they're perfect for each other

don't respond to this trip ever again

secondly, check under your bed tonight at exactly 3:42 AM

I'll be waiting

r u threatening me, cause i will sue

But it is :^)

You started less than a year ago and came from powerlifting, right?

Practice the lifts and get better at moving. Hang cleans, hang snatches, drop snatches, drop jerks

More sets. You've tried 5x5. Now try 8x5. Only takes like ten minutes more and doesn't gimp the rest of your programming too hard.

I started two years ago. But spent my time really inefficently.
>brosplit for 6 months
>powerlifting for a year
>didn't do the routine correctly and only got half as strong
>and really fat
>olympic weightlifting mixed in with powerlifting for 6 months while cutting
More or less like this. I also had always shown an interest for olympic weightlifting during my powerlifting phase. But only recently decided to train it

join the discord lads
discord.gg/qDDnc6B

So whenever I try to clean heavy, it just feels so slow coming off the floor that I panic and fuck the whole thing up. How do I get over this?

pretty fun video

you certainly dont get over it by failing over and over trying to be all bulgarian max out everyday but u r american with no proper base

stick to low-medium percentages then max out/compete every once in a while to check progress

maxing out and trying to go heavier the day before is how i fucked up my wrists and lots of other injuries that could have been avoided if i had a decent coach who actually cares instead of just FOLLOW MY PROGRAM I KNOW ALL ABOUT IT BECAUSE I USE TO TRAIN UNDER FOREIGN COACHES EVEN THO I DIDNT UNDERSTAND MOST OF WHERE THEY COME FROM

he was a shit lifter himself

yeah just lift lighter and focus on technique and slowly gain confidence, this sport actually takes years and years to get good at. no point in rushing trust me man

youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7yk-vdAD8
>you will never marry a weightlifting qt3.14 while surrounded by your world champion and olympic gold medalist best friends
feels

>tfw no Bulgarian mentality

this is good advice

I used to try and max every day and I would get injured or burnt out frequently. I have realized now that training smarter produces better results than training harder.

Think of yourself running a race. While you're sprinting with maximum effort towards the finish line, your hamstring tears, and you end up hobbling, unable to continue. Alternatively you could have just jogged the whole way and ended up actually finishing.

This is an imperfect metaphor, but the general point is apropos. Weightlifting is like that race. You're not competing against anyone else but yourself - unless you choose to enter competitions, and even then you're still competing with yourself at the end of the day. You can try and finish as fast as possible, or you can take your time. The result will be the same, the only difference is when.

What you want to accomplish in the sport will probably change over time as well. When I first started lifting, I wanted to be able to dunk a basketball. I achieved that, and then got more into Weightlifting itself, so I wanted to able to snatch bw. Well, once I did, I wanted a 300kg total. Eventually my goal was to out-lift every woman in the world. I still haven't beaten Tatiana, and I still believe that I might someday, but now I am more focused on remaining injury free than anything else.

It is better to be consistent over a long period of time than to be overly intense for a short period of time. I would even extend that advice to many areas of life.

>how dare they be sexually attractive! how dare they dress in a way that highlights their beauty!
you guys are fucking losers.

hngggg...that ass jiggle on the jerk...omfgggg

>genetic heart defect
>dangers of steroids
keke