How often do you /run/?

I love running, I wish I could do it everyday but I feel like thats a bit much. I usually do about 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QrDqWbBMA9o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I used to do 5 miles 3 days a week but some asshole on my route got a german shepard and it tries to kill me

when the german shepherd blocks your path, stop and say "NO SHEP NO!" and it should leave you alone

every 2 days
1 hour (12 km)

i try to do about 10kms three times per week
Works great atm, but once autumn comes and the days get shorter I know I will reduce it to maybe once or twice per week

I've just signed up for a Half Marathon in October, because of this I've joined a local gym to get Veeky Forums. I can currently run 5km in just over 26 minutes, is this a good time?

Anyone got any tips for marathon training?

its a good time
you should try to increase your max. distance
if you can run 15km, then 21 shouldnt be a problem, even if its slower than your usual running speed (which it will be anyways during a half marathon)

wouldnt recommend doing a marathon, though, personally I think the risk of just having some heart issue and dying at km 36 is too high

Thanks, the longest I've managed to run so far is for a just over an hour managing just over 10km.

and I know what you mean, I work with an older guy who's done a lot of cross country running and he says he wish he didn't because his knees are fucked up.

I used to run a lot but I switched to moutain biking , It's way funnier and I can do it for a longer period of time without getting bored or too tired .
I find pacing better while MTB'ing , you get LISS , HIIT , High volume squat , isometric core workout & balance workout + high sensation all in a single fun workout .

Four times a week like 7,5 km.

But I really need to buy new running shoes - I am now running in shoes that I was using last year for running and two years before for daily use for my normal life.
The underside is really slim.

better buy new ones, if you use (running) shoes for too long, you might suffer from bad posture; doesnt help on the long run

fucking shin splints

>cardio
never gonna make it

>1 HOUR (12 KM)
are you literally usain bolt?

Good luck in the next olympics, dude.

Considering there are club runners who can run 10KM in under 40 minutes, OPs pace is entirely reasonable.

You also chose the wrong athlete to express astonishment with as he is a sprinter not an endurance/middle distance runner.

I try to do 10-12km twice per week.

not being able to run and having a weak heart is the epitome of not being Veeky Forums. heartlets pls leave

Currently doing Jack Daniels Red Plan with 5 runs/week. Sore legs almost every day :/

t-thanks guys

Im training to run a marathon in under 3:30

btw a pace of 12kmh is a little bit short of 7.5mph which isnt even close to the top tier athletes

Run a different route or man up you big poof.

I can currently run a sub 39 minute 10k (hoping for sub 38 by the end of the year) which is nowhere near as fast as some people in my club. One guy at our last race ran just over 32 minutes and our fastest woman does sub 36.

Also, I can almost guarantee I'd beat Usain Bolt at any distance above 5k yet I'm no where near elite.

>tfw trying to balance running, lifting and cutting at the same time

I've already lost a half pl8 of deadlift and squat. At least I've also lost eight pounds since april.

Godspeed user. This was my goal last year, but I died the last 10k and ended up with 3h45.

This year I'll try to train better and aim for 3h20 or so ;_;

Used to be a marathon runner, running was my life and i loved it. Got a bad foot injury 5 years ago that never fully healed, can only run for 3-4 miles before I get really achy in my foot and knees. But I try to run about 10 miles per week.

12km/h is beginner tier tbqh.

>being this impressed
D1 college runners can run 10k in roughly 30min

How do you guys keep motivated? I did couch to 5k, hit 30 straight minutes and kept doing it for a few weeks, but starting about 2-3 weeks ago I just can't get myself going. I think it's partly because I've been on a treadmill at the gym facing a wall, so it's boring as fuck, but how do you get through slumps?

2-3 non-consecutive days a week for 45-60 minutes each time. i usually just do an informal kind of HIIT, alternating between running for 2-3 minutes and walking for 4-5 minutes on a treadmill.

i can usually cover 4-5 miles per session. i'm far more concerned with progressing on weight lifting atm. so basically my week looks like this

sunday: rest
monday: rest or run (rested today to focus on studying)
tuesday: weight lifting
wednesday: run
thursday: WL
firday: run
saturday: WL

6'5", 245lbs, ~11-12% BF. i might consider using an elliptical one of these days to further reduce strain on my knees. i think i went a little hard last week and had a dull pain in my left knee for a few hours after a 60 minute run, so i'll keep monitoring and playing it safe.

I never do cardio, thinking of going to the gym today and just go on the treadmill and just going at a reasonable pace and get a mile done atleast.

I would try running around the neighorhood but I can't stand Vegas heat.

maybe run outside

long distance running is the lowest tier of cardio

>willingly destroying your joints
>wanting toothpick legs
>killing gains

why would you run when you could swim, bike, or row?

run in the forest on a trail, you'll keep your mind occupied, while working out your accessory muscles and getting a stronger hip while being easy on your knees

the most feelgood times while running is when you're hot as fuck and you feel the rain hitting your face while listening to your favorite music

showers feel amazing afterwards too

>I wish I could do it everyday but I feel like thats a bit much

I know what you mean. Running is the only thing that really kills my cigarette urge, but without at least 48 hours I'm always worried I'm going to overuse or snap something up.

I guess I could just do shorter runs but it doesn't really feel like I've accomplished anything unless I do at least six or seven miles.

Please science, cure my autism.

3-4 times a week, between 7 and 10kms.

Honestly this.

Swimming>Biking>Jacking Off>...>Distance Running

Unless you're a tribal African hunting prey in the Savannah, then do yourself a favor stop distance running. The cons vastly outweigh the pros.

When I go to the gym during the week I usually run for 20 minutes on the treadmill (2 miles if I don't slow down) and one mile on an arc trainer, is this too much if I'm also lifting weights on the same day?

>german shepard
That's why I run inside.

Any app recommendations that track how far you run?

It's easy enough just to plot out a course on google maps. They're accurate down to .1 mile, more or less.

This
Trail running is godtier exercise

I think I'm going to make it, boys.

hate running, 10-15 minutes max on non-lifting days

Are you running around a track? What does the laps column represent?

good work user, keep it up, the 3k is pure torture

Yup, a track by a highschool near me

I hear actual runners talking about 5ks etc, I'm thinking of working my way up, but I'm comfy with my 20 minute workout.

3k is what the millitary in my country uses to find out how fit you are, if you're down on 12min you could get into officer school or join the special forces, at this pace you'll be there in some weeks

I have had a stagnant 18 min 5k for the past like 3 years since I keep skipping all cardio during the winter, bulk on a few pounds of muscle and then start running again in the spring.

Was like 145lbs skinnyfat when I first got my 18 now I'm 165lbs lean and 18 still kicks my ass.

I want to be swole and run a 16 eventually

it's pretty impressive that some random dude on a chechnyan yodeling forum has a pretty good 10k even though literal sponsored athletes can do it better

like of course you'd expect a college runner to run faster than some asshole on the internet or your coworker or something since that's their entire life

kick that dog

Do heavy sets all the fucking time, that's how I learned to cut while running and stay strong.

I ended my bulk at a 1/2/3/4, dropped 30lbs of bodyweight since january and my lifts were still 1/2/3/4 at the end of 6 months.

I did a push/pull/cardio split 6 days a week and every lifting day was like 1-3 reps on the big compounds making sure I never got any weaker. Last time I cut I did higher rep ranges and lost a shitton of strength.

Maybe it helps, maybe it was just because my cut was "safe" at ~600 cals/day deficit.

>aussie

Stick a huntsman up your shitter ya shitcunt

I run a mile 4 times a week, as fast ask I can on a treadmill.

Give it a treat every time you run and be it's friend.

And sprinters look like this... Which is what I want to look like.

You mean blacks.. You could try Bruce Jenner's training regime but it turned him into a woman.

Fat guy who wants up start running, what are some tips I should know so I don't crash and burn?

Stop this gay ass meme distance running is great.
youtube.com/watch?v=QrDqWbBMA9o

Not the guy you replied to, but this has to be one of the least funny jokes I've seen on here. Why don't you make a Michael Jackson joke about touching kids? Upload your Arnold Scharwzenegger impression while you're at it...

You guys are acting as if D1 college runners aren't on Veeky Forums right now.
>all of my roommates were D1 cross country runners
>they're all huge stoners and would get black out drunk every weekend
Veeky Forums memes itself very hard into thinking that elite athletes follow some kind of spartan training code and aren't actually the most normal of all normies

I'm on a D1 tennis team and can confirm this, a lot of us myself included are stoners and do blow all the time

Well shit dude, now you're just feeding him material.

I /row/ twice a week. (2000 m)

4-5miles 4-5x per week. Around 20-25miles per week. Only been running just over 3 months now. Wanting to do a marathon next February.

Everyday, ran 34 miles last week in total

Forgot to mention I usually am anywhere in the 9-11min/mile range. 10min/mile is pretty average.

Don't you mean

>bin kein Jude!

My PR for the 5k is 18:51 but i havent ran a race longer than that. I was hoping to do a triathlon this summer because i swam in hs so the biking would be my only problem.

How do you guys not get bored when running?

Music

I listen to podcasts. Keeps me distracted, time seems to go by a lot faster with something to actively focus on, with music it just becomes backup noise while I'm physically active

>listening to music while running
How can you handle the sound of your breathing? It can be pretty annoying

Random thoughts following.
Depending on your weight you should start fixing food intake first. Follow c25k or something similar to progress from walk to walk/run to running.
Don't kill yourself working out and do your thing at a comfortable pace.
Always listen to your body. Keep an eye on your joints.
Get yourself a good pair of shoes. Running shop clerks will help you verify if you pronate/supinate and may give tips about running form.
If you find boring running alone join a local club.

Ashamed of the sounds of exertion brah?

Seriously though, if you can hear yourself breathing with your headphones in, it's time to invest in better headphones.

What are the cons exactly? You know this from personal experience?

Strava is the best I think, you can track cycling as well.

bikers shouldn't have that much upper body strength

Bollocks. The whole point of humans being built the way they are is to be the best long distance running machine possible. Like, literally that is the whole point of our existence and the reason for our position as the dominant species. What you mean is you haven't got the mental strength to keep it going after a couple of miles when your legs start to ache.

Shh he doesn't know metrics

I used to run everyday when I was a teen, and I want to run consistently again, my goal is to run from here to the moon.

If I'm just running milage I can zone out for miles at a time. if I'm not, the effort is enough to keep me from being bored.

Good contribution, thank you.

I'm a distance runner, and just finished my track season a couple days ago and was looking forward to some time off before summer training, but I just got invited to a pretty fast meet. you guys think potential PR is worth another month of training?

Go to a running event in your area or somewhere else. They tend to have a nice atmosphere and aren't too pricey to enter - you'll get an official recorded time a little goody bag of drinks, snacks, and possibly samples which you would otherwise never try in the first place, and sometimes a decent quality running shirt. You might make friends too!

Whats your favorite type of path to run? And which do you do most often?
>A lot of small laps (around city block or park, etc)
>A few large laps (around neighborhood or walking trail, etc)
>Track field
>Straight path, and then return (Ex. Down a single boulevard)
>Freestyle (go anywhere, no specific order)
List goes on, but that's all I can think of for now.

Usual track is river side 22k both ways
Less usual but my favorite is a forest track 10k both ways so i have to run it twice
My town has a once a month traffic stop over night thing so maintenance crews can fix shit, so the city center is basically shut down from 2-5 AM. Absolute favorite in the summer but I cant really judge the distance or time, so i just run until traffic starts back up.

Cardio is important. I wouldn't venture over 5k. Great distance for cutting fat and staying lean. Pretty much anything over that will lead to anorexia and you will start to look like an Ethiopian.

You wont look like that unless you perform like that.

Yeah but then the dog starts running with you. Then he starts telling his friends. Then you are the guy that runs with 3 to 5 dogs in the morning and you have to nearly double the length of your route to get the dogs back to their houses.

T. True story.

Just hit a record time for me on 10km, 51m09s.
We're a permabulking "powerlifter" for about 9 years before I started running seriously this spring, so I'm still progressing quite fast.

alternating between freestyle at night/dawn or the only track field in the city.

just curious, are you fit? like I'm a fatty but I used to play soccer and I can do 5km in 22-23 mins (not trying to gloat i just thought my time was slow but maybe my soccer background means I can run despite being fat)

Yes, I do but it depends on how tired your body is. I would do it but if you need a rest then don't bother. There's no point buggering up your summer season just for one race. Saying that, if you feel ood and want to do it then go for it.

I don't hear myself breathing. When a song with a fast beat comes on, I get a speed boost. If a song I really like plays, then It distracts me from running and I can go longer.

How do I get a heavy bulge like number 4?

>T. True story
Nigga what the fuck do you think you're doing

Just got back from a hilly, muddy 10.35 mile run in the forest near my house. Average mile pace of 7:27. Absolutely bucketed down with rain for the whole run. Saw some cute little cygnets, some longhorn cattle and a herd of deer shot across my path about 30 metres in front of me. The cows where near the path eating some grass and I startled one of them when I ran past and made it jump. I shat myself thinking it was gonna charge at me.

running with my runbro