Wendler's 5-3-1

Does anyone use this? What is your experience with it? How does it compare quality-wise to something like stronglifts or ss?

Other urls found in this thread:

powerliftingtowin.com/beyond-531/)
blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

As with most things in training, it depends on your goals.

bump

Instead of bumping, how about elaborating on what you're looking to accomplish so you can get useful feedback on whether or not 5/3/1 is a good fit for you?

it's intermediate program, so if you are newb do SS or SL

This so much. Work towards your goal.

Are you competing in powerlifting events? If not, then the rules of that sport do not apply to you. They just dont.

Never tried it, but it have low frequency.

Any program is only as good as you want to make it. I was benching 3pl8 for reps on 531, but it's because I ate right and actually moved the weight.

That's a good question. I still am not quite sure. I feel I am at an intermediate level and stronglifts started moving too fast for me, the weights got too big so I ended up switching to other exercises away from the main compound lifts. I don't want to be a competitive bodybuilder, but I do want strength and to look Veeky Forums like a slightly less strong Zyzz (without steroids)

Dogshit, worst routine ever tried. Almost no gains. Upside is it's pretty chill.

weekly PRs instead of session to session, thus intermediate. bare 531 is a bit lacking but there are a gorillion variants by now, you should find something that fits your taste probably.

>I don't want to be a competitive bodybuilder, but I do want strength and to look Veeky Forums like a slightly less strong Zyzz (without steroids)
neck hangs x F

>Dogshit, worst routine ever tried. Almost no gains. Upside is it's pretty chill.
What in particular did you not like? Why no gains?
>neck hangs x F
Hey, just being honest. I like Zyzz's physique, minus his gay tattoos and a little bit of the bulk on top. Just my own view. De gustibus est nondisputandem.

there are like 300 "official" 531 variations. find a one that has you do each lift at least 2 times a week (something like powerliftingtowin.com/beyond-531/) and volume that is suitable for you - that is, more volume than you've done before.

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum faggot. You can't really aim for Zyzz as a goal body without his massive roid stack nigga. That said, with lots of assistance work and your main compounds in a fitting 531 variant you can get pretty far, given low enough bodyfat.

lol nice latin, but I did want to speak as I am the op and people responded, thus I respond back, etc. I know, you're right about the roid stack, plus I don't have nearly the time that he had to be in the gym 6 days a week or whatever with as many sets etc. What do you mean by assistance work? like isolation exercises which complement the main compound lifts?Thank you. I didn't realize there were so many different ones. Will check that one out.

I meant the speaking part as in, posting an unrealistic goal that clearly shows you're delusional kek. Never mind. And yeah, other compound exercises (squat variants, DL variants, different grip bench) at lower intensity but higher volume, and some curlz for the gurlz on top. It's not rocket science.

Believe me, if it was rocket science, I wouldn't be surfing a Chinese jukebox for answers.
thx4reply

Fair enough lol. And, anytime. I'm glad to help, I save my vitriol for CBT threads.

This is not true. Also division trainees according to Rippetoe is retarded

>Also division trainees according to Rippetoe is retarded
wut?

>CBT threads
>current body threads threads
I went full retard there, didn't I.

People here seem to rag on it sometimes (then again Veeky Forums rags on literally every program known to man). I have been doing it for a while and really like it, was looking for something to do after having lifted for a while and was stalling.

What you get out of it comes down to what you put in really, I like it because I can plug my lifts into my autism spreadsheet once a month and get a program that I don't have to think about. I like the blend of volume and strength work, and the joker sets are great as well. It is not a fast program but it works well if you legitimately enjoy lifting as a hobby and want a low effort way to maintain strength gains.

I usually do (all accessories are in the 10 rep range):

Day 1: OHP 5/3/1, Weighted chins, weighted dips, close grip pulldown, curls, core work
Day 2: Squat 5/3/1, Weighted Chins, Leg press, Ham Curl, core work
Day 3: Bench 5/3/1, Weighted pullups, DB bench or Croc Rows, tricep pushdown, core work
Day 4: Dead 5/3/1, Weighted Pullups, Lat pulldown, Ham Curl, core work

If I'm busy as fuck with work I ramp that up or down as much as I like really.

>I like it because I can plug my lifts into my autism spreadsheet once a month and get a program that I don't have to think about. I like the blend of volume and strength work, and the joker sets are great as well. It is not a fast program but it works well if you legitimately enjoy lifting as a hobby and want a low effort way to maintain strength gains.
Damn, this sounds perfect for me. Thank for your take man. Which version did you use? Do you use an app or what? If an app, which one and is it free?

Nah just some thing in excel, I'm certain theres a few online or something. Worth noting that your first cycle of it probably wont be super hard but it will get difficult soon enough. The key with the program is patience, which is the general idea of the (poorly written) book.

cool, thanks user

I'll add my two cents.
I switched to 5/3/1 BBB recently after a year or stalling on most of my lifts.

>+
rep maxes suit me much better than one rep maxes
slow but steady progress
doesn't take much time
simple
as another user mentioned, the fact that I can just plug my numbers into a spreadsheet and it generates the workouts for the next month pleases my autistic sensibilities (blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator)

>-
maybe it's just me, but it isn't doing much for arm size so I had to add some triceps extensions and curls

I recently dropped 5/3/1 after 1.5 years.
I ran 5/3/1 vanilla, beyond, BBB, BBB Challenge, krypteia. overall gains were minimal. The conditioning part of krypteia was nice though.
I was patient and waited for my steady gains but it simply did not work out for me.

Problem is that all lifts are treated the same. While bench volume is severly lacking the volume for dl is too much (5x10 @ 70 TM after your regular sets, if u run bbb lolololol)

switched to a gzcl method program and I am progressing after almost 6 months of stalling and resetting TM.