twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

EXPLOSIVE
P
O
W
E
R

ePower?

great exercise and fun to do. the most technically demanding compared to the other big 4, although not too far from squat.

fairly ok to learn proper technique using free internet resources.
progression may be a bit of a bitch, but everybody should power clean unless you're an old person with osteoporosis.

if you are training for no particular specialization, you have no reason not to power clean.

Largely overrated imo. Rip only includes them since the program was intended to help football players tack on mass and strength in the off season and the clean or power clean is often used in college and pro football recruiting in strength measurements.

However, the training programming used in SS combined with the compensating form (i.e. not being a full clean and using full clean ROM) makes it pretty unnecessary for your average gym goer. Unless you're competing in sports or crossfit (which you probably aren't because you'd have a coach to ask such a question to), you're better suited to training the various muscle groups through other compound movements.

That being said, they are fun to do and relatively easy to learn compared to actual oly lifts. If you've tried them and enjoyed them by all means include them. Just be conservative with form and weights used because it's easy to snap some shit up doing explosive lifts without some coaching/monitoring

If you can't power clean st least 225 then you've been doing a lot of things very, very wrong up to this point of your training.

>up to this point of your training
up to what point?
symmetricstrength says that 2pl8 PC = 4pl8 DL

Don't do it like the crossfitters do it. They all use bad form and turn the PC always into an upright row.

Always remember to keep those elbows locked straight until you have to fold the arms to rack the bar. That's the single most important PC cue.

>the other big 4
the power clean is not a big anything no matter how you slice it.

>elbows locked
wow thanks for the terrible advice

I fuckig hate numales cosplaying as men

how is it not big

anytime i see a routine that includes a clean of any kind i immediately discard that routine and the creator's credibility.

clean and jerk is the big one

>although not too far from squat.
>fairly ok to learn proper technique using free internet resources.
>progression may be a bit of a bitch,
Hey, you don't know how to power clean. Your PC may be okayish, but far from good. This coming from someone who has done oly lifting for +2 years.

Imo internet is not enough to learn PC, you need a coach. Unless you're okay with sluggish Rippletoad -tier PC.

This. Fuck your autistic circus lifts tbqh, I'll stick to making actual gains.

"Big" implies that it matters in any way
Squats are one of the "big" movements because it's done in powerlifting meets
The power clean (you know, the less effective clean method) is not tested in any big event. It's the clean and jerk

how do you defend counting a variation as a big lift? is incline press also a big lift in your pantheon of lifts? what kind of meme lifts do you include?

>big two (oly)
snatch, clean and jerk
>big three (PL)
squat, bench, deadlift
>big four
press, bench, squat, deadlift
>big five (supertotal)
snatch, clean and jerk, squat, bench, deadlift
>big six
snatch, clean and jerk, press, bench, squat, deadlift

if you include any other lifts or combination of lifts you're retarded.

how much weight can you move from the floor to overhead?

the power clean matters more for athletic performance, yes it is not sport specific but the power clean is used by all athletes in training who need some form of explosiveness in their sport. To name a few: basicly all track and field athletes, fighters, football etc

This is why the power clean is big. Plus it build mass in the upperback very well

Not person you axed but i can pwrclean about 155. Decent for about 3 months of lifting i'd say. Most people who do it in my normie gym barely get to 1pl8, idk.

>powering 40 kilo less than Klokov in three months
yeah nah

>the art of faggyness

t. has never trained for an actual sport

for a second wanted to ask is this kg and that you actualy making it, but 155lbs

my gf cleans 170lbs at 128lbs bw

klokov is power cleaning 200+ hes just not jerking it

power clean = when you got it on your shoulders but you dont jerk it up

klokov best clean and JERK is 242kg

klokov best clean is 262kg

Power clean and push press is literally the GOAT complex for full body explosivity, similarly to what press/bench/DL/squat are for static strength

youtube.com/watch?v=WJeWms-6-2Q

think about it, explosive pull + explosive push (includes leg drive) in one combo

he's talking about 155 pounds mane

Damn, how long has she been training? Also it's the intial pull of the ground that is the hardest part for me, what other exercise can i super set in to my lighter days to help get that easier?

clean=/= power clean
clean is much more efficient and technique heavy, power clean takes more power (duh) due to increased bar path (catch in quarter squat) and muscle clean is just raw gorilla picking up

Tbh when you're learning power clean, weight doesn't matter. What tells if you're good is speed. Just how fast that transition from second to third pull is. We see football players rip +2pl8 from the floor with terrible form, but only few to do it actually with explosive force.

i'm fucking afraid of doing power cleans, snatches and cleans 7 jerks, how do I lose my fear of doing them

I know, she really cleans her grandpa was weightlifter and now she learned snatching and cleaning from him and added it to her typical strenght general routine

I tho started to learn from him too but mine clean is just fucking picking up barbell up to 100kg from the ground and placing on the shoulders and that literally it even tho I have very good vertical jump. It will take a long practice for me to clean properly

Do one rep with incredibly low weight, just the bar or maybe bar and 10lbs on each side. See if you still think it's scary with low weight. Gradually get more confident in your abilties and watch yourself grow into a more mature, responsible, and courageous young man

you have to fuck/dry hump the bar, atleast that's my cue. Afterwards just quarter squat to catch, I'm much less afraid of power cleans than of cleans because there I might lose balance

Nigger, what the fuck are you even trying to convey

>you have to fuck/dry hump the bar, atleast that's my cue
bad cue, this will just create more horizontal bar movement.
> Afterwards just quarter squat to catch
Too slow. You have to pull yourself under, that's how you get under rapidly.

Its disgusting, really

Here, excellent video on cleaning. Its an entire workout, english subtitles. Has been lifting for +35years.
123kg snatch and 180kg clean&jerk at 62kg German record holder

youtube.com/watch?v=E2lqG4aU3mQ
Thanks to the user for linking it.

Factually incorrect. Clean is more powerful than power clean in every way

>Clean is more powerful than power clean in every way
Not really, with a power clean the distance is greater also is why all athletes do this instead of a regular clean. Plus its easier to learn

Also nothing was incorrect. Go look at real athletes nobody does full cleans apart from oly guys

plus full clean can be somewhat dangerous to athlethes that dont focus on squatting all the time as you go to depth buttwink can occur

But with the clean, the weight is higher, forcing your body to do everything it can. Power becomes more important in the clean. Not less important.

The only reason nobody does full clean is because it's harder to learn. But that doesn't make the power clean better

>buttwink
Oh. I'm sorry. You're retarded

>tfw hit 225 pc

Few things compare to the feeling/sound of racking a perfect clean tbhf

Guys, I'm gonna switch to texas method but my normie gym won't allow power clean/snatch. Is there any substitute for them?

no

though I don't think they are necessary for powerlifters at all

when you go from hyperxtension to neutral its cool, but most athletehs will fuck it up and go to flexion which can cost them as most athlethes lift heavy weight not lmao 1pl8

youtube.com/watch?v=0QpmYqB-4sc&t=956s

At 13:33, 62kg little kiddo power cleaning 145kg like nothing. Crazy explosivity.

brah i just wanna b strong and increase my 4 lifts. MArk says you could switch for explosive deadlifts but what the fuck are those?

mfw reading this dumb shit thread

>if you do something wrong something bad will happen
geeeee. I wonder how that works

it does make it better because its more cost effective in terms of time. Even if we argue which one is better for explosiveness

But you aren't perfect either dude

isn't your c&j only slightly above 100? that's women's weight

:^)

>power clean = when you got it on your shoulders but you dont jerk it up

No, a power clean is when you perform the movement without going through a full squat.

Don't you need bumper plates to do it? My gym doesn't have any, if I failed a rep with anything more than 1 plate and dropped the bar, I'd probably break the floor and get kicked out

powerlifting is a meme

>with a power clean the distance is greater

That's because the weight is lighter

bumper plates and a good floor, yes

not worth risking it if you ask me, ask gym owners beforehand unless they have bumpers+oly platform

Everyone should be doing explosive movements regardless of their fitness goals. Power cleans, push press, box jumps, etc. Explosive movements teach your body to recruit more muscle fibers at a time. This translates directly over to strength movements like the squat, bench and deadlift.

>powerlifting

I know I'm just shitposting

the "power" prefix is not some optional prefix to make it sound cool, it actually means something.

Ugh power cleans suck without oly bar which rotates.

the reason they do power cleans is because the purpose of the powerclean is the triple extension power. The ability to propel the bar upwards as high as possible with as much power as opposed to getting it up just enough and being fast enough to get under the bar after it begins upward motion. It has crossover to jumping power, sprinting, ect..

not because it has a longer range of motion you mongrel troglodyte

I did a 3RM PC from the knee at 106 with my full clean and jerk being 105

tldr jerks r bad mkay

I agree, ie why Im an oly lifter

start with a weight that you can reverse curl and push press, then get used to not reverse curling and push pressing it.

you are an idiot, stop giving shit advice

bye bye clavicles
see ya delts

>spending a week (MAX) by doing heavy high hang cleans to learn the drop is hard
>time missed gets made up by doing a superior exercise

>I did a 3RM PC from the knee at 106 with my full clean and jerk being 105
so you are weak, okay.

that really made me think

Good for football

Gonna start my own sport where we measure tonnage, so you can choose higher weight or higher volume. Our Big 4 lifts will be
>curls in the squat rack
>barbell flys
>leg abductor machine
>lat pulldown

too late that's already the most popular sport in the gym

Yeah, but now there will trophies and medals.

anyone good at weightlifting wouldn't call it oly lifting

fuck off casual larper

>The ability to propel the bar upwards as high as possible with as much power
This is basicly what I meant, I just worded it wrong

It's just that there are lots of people here who still think that weightlifting is what they're doing when they go to a commercial gym to curl and shit

>spending a week to learn a movement which the pros even make mistakes on
Not an argument

>elbows locked
This is probably the worst advice you can give to someone trying to clean and/or power clean. At NO point in this lift should your elbows lock out.

come back when you can cj above 3 plate you dyel kent