Strict Form Pull-Ups/Weighted Pull-ups are the only pure display of true upper body strength

Strict Form Pull-Ups/Weighted Pull-ups are the only pure display of true upper body strength.

>A guy weighing 215LBS who can only do 1 pull-up is just as strong as a 170LBS guy who can do 1 weighted pull-up with 45LBS.

Having a larger body mass doesn't help you with pull-ups like it does with other lifts where you produce an assisting force with your body weight.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p2qE1NtMJVU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Strict Form Pull-Ups/Weighted Pull-ups are the only pure display of true upper body vertical pulling strength.

Fixed that for you.

My lifting buddy is shredded at 74kg and does 20kg 5x5 for weighted pull-ups.

>tfw I'm 84kg, 10kg of fat to lose, and only do 10kg 5x5 for weighted pull-ups.

He looks 10 times cooler doing 20kg plate, and he looks 10x better with 10kg less bodyfat.

Holding excessive fat is a meme :(

I can do like 2 with proper for. i weigh 220 lbs or something. still weak af

>A guy weighing 215LBS who can only do 1 pull-up is just as strong as a 170LBS guy who can do 1 weighted pull-up with 45LBS.

Equating a guy's bodyweight with added belt weight is retarded and is never an indication of strength for comparison purposes with other people.

Heavier more muscular guys will always have an advantage in pulling their own weight in comparison to smaller guys who do added weight that equals the heavy guys.

A 100kg guy who can do 10 pullups is NOT as strong as a 80kg guy who can do 10 pullups with 20kg added.
A 120kg guy who can do 10 pullups is NOT as strong as a 80kg guy who can do 10 pullups with 40kg added.

If you don't account for lower body mass on chicken legged dudes that is.

>Able to do 5 clean reps of +17,5kg @93kg bodyweight
>Lovin' it

How far up do you guys go anyway? I'm going up until the bar faces my mouth, not more or less. Tbh faggots who say it's only a rep when it touches your chest are making a bodyweight row out of their bastardized pullups.

>not using full range of motion
not gonna make it

>can do 5x 25kg weighted chinup
>can barely do ONE pullup

Help me

Train your back more and stop relying on your arms.

>Full range of motion
I bet you're also one of those people who literally jerk the bar to their chest on a row. Full range of motion does not equal some sort of bar path or some shit like that. You can completely work your back muscle doing a pullup without going all the way up to your chest.

No fucking way.

Chin over bar is more than enough, specially if you do them weighted, pretty much no one does weighted pullups with the chest touching the bar.

so is the lighter guy stronger than cause he's doing it with more weight at a lighter frame?

do pullups??

>lying on the internet
>chinup is an arm exercise
lmao look at this dummy

the amount of shoulder extension in a chinup is even greater than in a pullup (due more ROM) and it is impossible to not work your back in a chin up

Not exactly. A lighter guy obviously has less mass to carry at the exercise which makes it easier for him, but assuming it is an untrained person he will also lack the muscle mass needed to perform the exercise.

5'11, 164 lbs 8 reps from a dead hang with 1 plate on ring crew.

Only good lift really. Can't bench without shoulders exploding, dead with trap bar due to back problems...

Did hit 185 on push press once tho.

I can do 5 strict at 260 lbs.

I really need to lose weight..

Basically yes, smaller guys obviously have to compensate the added weight with stronger backs and arms.

If that 100kg guy tried to do pullups with 20kg added he would maybe get 2 or 3, and if the 80kg guy who can do 10x20kg tried to do pullups with 40kg he would probably do more reps than the 100kg guy despite having less muscle mass.

I do daily pull ups so I use rings. No bar to pass. Lot easier on the joints desu, just a bit harder to stabilize.

who cares about strength, it's all about lookin' good

To add on, weight to power ratio decreases with more mass.

This is why elite gymnasts are manlets or young girls, and elite rock climbers are fairly small despite needing power and strength.

If a person 150 pound guy can do 8 pullups with 50 extra pounds their vertical pull is better than a 195lb guy who can only do 8 pullups. It's just like the smaller guy being able to dead or squat more.

It's not about how high, that is completely arbitrary because everyone has different arm length and even different humerus to radius length. It's about whether your lats are in full contraction or not. Your elbows should be at the side of your ribs at the end of a rep.

>75kg
>do 20kg added chinups for 8 reps
>can only do 10 kg pullups for 6 reps
This normal?

I'm 83kg and can do 5 pull ups with 50kg added. Am I elite?

Yes. For most people pull ups are harder than chin ups.

nah

Yesterday during pull ups my left arm started to get tingly/pins and needles feelings in the middle of my set. Am I gripping the bar too tight. Should I go thumbless?

Was the pain in:
A) the pinky and partly ring finger or
B) thumb, index, middle and party the ring finger

Depending on which it was it's a different nerve that can get aggravated by different movements and doesn't necessarily have to do with your pullup form.

I can't remember exactly. I could feel it running down my forearm as well. I wanna say more towards my ring finger.

Not elite but that is pretty great

elite would be 5 pullups with your bodyweight added

it could be something with the wrist. I myself now cannot do both weighted pull ups and chip ups without wrist pain. But neutral grips work fine for me.

I don't agree with , to me it sounds more like an impingement of the ulnar nerve in the elbow. It commonly happens through incorrect or biomechanically unnatural flexion of the elbow, which impinges the nerve between the humerus and ulna and inflames it. There are some rehab exercises you can find online that should help.

Oink oink

>95 kg fatmode fatso
>15strict pullups on a good day x 5 sets
>10 x4 with 10kg weight
I'm so proud of myself

Sounds shitty. I'll have to look into it. Thanks

It doesn't sound like a very big deal in your case. Just rest a little and maybe do some rehab and see if it still hurts. You most likely can still do any exercise that doesn't involve elbow flexion. So basically no movement at the elbow joint, that means pressing movements too.

>20kg 5x5
This is nothing, I'm skinny beginner 178 cm/60 kg, and can do 8 strict pull ups with 15 kg. I think strong guy should do 10 pull ups with 40-50 kg.

Exactly, thanks for the better worded explanation.

Man, 5 pullups with bodyweight added is world class for sure, I don't think there are any who can do it besides the spaniard world record holder for heaviest pullup ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=p2qE1NtMJVU

10 pullups with 40-50kg added is ridiculously difficult.
Doable for sure, as I've done 11 pullups with 40kg before, but every single kilo you add it gets ridiculously difficult, adding 5kg drops to 40 drops your total reps by almost half.

that shitty rack, all wobbly jesus

Yeah, it made me cringe.

Dude's also done 110kg before at his home gym, dude's crazy strong, also benched 200kg before, he arches like a mother fucker though.

Squeeze your shoulder blades together before you start to pull with your arms.

>implying the upper body muscles pulling horizontally are meaningfully different from the vertical pulling