Martials Arts

What kind of martial art does Veeky Forums practice?

I started practicing muay thai about a month ago

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xxz2XHoO3UI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ring_magazine_Fight_of_the_Year
youtube.com/watch?v=qAKoujtyPP4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDzWCmLd_0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm practicing law.

ah the jewish martial art

sorry i dont have autism

You will die of smallpox since you didn't get any vaccinations.

i'm missing a leg.
so, i'm practicing "partial arts".

>boom

Western Boxing, Muay Thai, and Taekwondo.

Underrated post

Ayyy

>I started practicing muay thai about a month ago
stfu noob.

>partial arts
Lost

kendo

So in other words, you are worthless without a stick.

you train against people with the stick without one too

Samefag as fuck.

Nope. I posted the original with the blue shirt dude.

I felt kind of good getting this many replies.
I honestly don't care if the same guy is replying to me. But it's not me self-bumping.

>hombre

You are taught to go after unarmed people? What kind of psycho shit are they teaching you at that mcdojo?

Here's your (you)
I posted the Misato, you have at least 2 people replying.

I unironically believe that whoever doesn't do MMA is a fucking nigger

its more if your shinai gets knocked out of your hand

Underrated post

who the FUCK do you think you are

There is a Sambo school in my neighbourhood, i keep meaning to check it out

Was doing judo, kickboxing and 'submission wrestling' (no gi bjj). Recently moved towns though and have been a slack fuck finding new gyms.

Keeping peasants in line is the way of the samurai.

Kek

man who makes these infographics hahaha

I train BJJ because striking martial arts would damage my face or brain and I'm too pretty and smart for that

>tfw all the martial arts places nearby are meme martial arts and you can't afford to drive into the city every week

I just wish I could learn boxing or something real, not "Chun Kuk Do" or twirling around on my legs like a dumbass at the "Taekwondo" place.

Is Muay Thai a good martial art to start? My stamina is pretty shit

>phoneposting nigger calling people niggers

is aikido valid as a grappling art?
I've been meaming to do it alongside kyokushin.

No do judo instead.

second post best post

trained judo for 7 years... was looking into branching to aikido since it seems to deal more with wrist/joint control than judo's center-of-gravity control.
Maybe I'll just go back to judo.

If you want to do something new do bjj or wrestling.
Mma gyms have no gi and will have wrestling classes.
Also it is cheaper if you do your striking there.

I did Hapkido and the locks are useless. They look cool but only a small amount of that stuff is applicable.

Do Boxing. It's so fun when you get the footwork.

Buhurt is love
Buhurt is life

I plan to start learning how to box this summer

>wrist/joint control

I've seen aikido training/demonstrations and it doesnt look that applicable in real life scenarios. Joint control just sounds retarded and has been shitted on by experts likes joe rogan.

If you want to stick to Asian martial arts then it seems that judo is your best bet. Just make sure your organization competes in competition and has accomplished practitioners.

>disrespecting your opponent in a boxing ring like that

hope he got his ass nuked.

Yeah good sportsmanship is very important. I just uploaded the first clip I had.

Most of the people I have met in Boxing have been really cool. There are a few people in gyms that always have something to prove. Just avoid those people.

What fight is the first clip from? I'm on mobile and can't see it

HAH no.

I honestly have no clue. But there is hours and hours of boxing on the AIBA youtube channel. Saw the 2015 tournament and the kids there have incredible technique.

It's amateur boxing so there is less rounds and more action.
youtube.com/watch?v=xxz2XHoO3UI

That's the link to the channel

I do boxing and savate. Pretty damn fun.
Hopping around MT practitioner in cross sparr is fun as well, until they block a mid kick and my foot hurts.

Didn't mean to quote

I've been training Nihon Taijitsu for the last year. Pretty happy with it

How do I get into watching and becoming a fan of boxing? I don't watch TV and I don't know what to follow.

>What kind of martial art does Veeky Forums practice?
None. I took muay thai for 9 uears, and even taught it when my instructor would be on vacation or sick.

Just get a gun. Maybe take it for a year so you learn how to fight, or hell, if you live in some country where it's impossible to get a gun and everyone street fights like a 1980's movie, then maybe stay with martial arts forever, but from.my experience, the stories I hear about on the news, and vids I see on the interbutts, it's smarter, cheaper, and safer to just get a gun.

If you stick with martial arts, you are guarenteed to be injured. I ripped a hamstring, injured fingers repeatedly, hurt my shoulder, and those are the accidental imjuries. You will definitely get punched/kicked in the face. Does that happen a lot to you in real life? If yes, learn to fight with muay thai. If no, consider buying a gun. Plus with a gun, just HAVING it can avoid the conflict. With martial arts, you have to USE it first, and be successful.

In the near decade I spent in muay thai, not one single time have I been in a real life fight. I loce it, it's fun, but thinkong about it objectively, I could have bought multiple guns and avoided injuries that permanently changed me and hopefully won't get worse with age.

Start watching the new matches, even if you don't know anything about boxing and discussing boxing online.
Then pick a fighter you're interested in (let's say Mike Tyson)
Watch and read about his most famous fights, then dwell a bit into his opponents, watch their most famous fights, dwell into their opponent.

go to boxrec.com and you can see who the top fighters are currently in each division, upcoming fights, etc. most boxing forums will have caps of PPV fights like, the day after they happen, so go look at their video sections. youtube is a gold mine of old fights too. look for these, or more generally any of the fighters in these.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ring_magazine_Fight_of_the_Year

Thanks guys, I've really been trying to get into boxing for a while now but really didn't know where to start.

No proper way to start getting into it. You just need to accumulate knowledge over time. Even if you don't follow football or whatever your national sport is (american football or cricket I dunno), you probably passively knows about it from years of listening to the news as a child.
I know I never watched a full match of football or never properly learned the rules, but I know how it works from just watching the news and listening to people in discussion.

If you're not a fighter of some sort then you won't get to really appreciate the sport since you won't fully know what's going on. Start boxing so you can understand the sport.

Where to start if you want to become a fan of boxing is tough to say since there's so many avenues to begin with. Maybe watch YouTube channels focused on boxing news so you can get up to date with the sport. Join Facebook groups/pages. They usually share clips and there's discussion to be had there. Maybe look up boxers from your ethnic background/country.

Watch some documentaries on Youtube. This one is pretty cool about Cuban kids. Cuba is well known in the Olympics for their boxing.

youtube.com/watch?v=qAKoujtyPP4

Then just watch some clips of old fights like Duran vs. Leonard. Some fighters to look up clips too.

Roy Jones
Julio Cesar Chavez
Juan Manuel Marquez
Floyd Patterson(Same trainer as Mike Tyson)

Newer fighters
GGG
Canelo

The comments for videos have some cool recommendations for fights. /asp/ has a boxing thread of upcoming fights I think.

I like boxing but like watching MMA more.

Not that guy, but my entire family is into boxing because the only thing we have going for us Filipinos is Manny Pacquiao being a boxing champion.

The fights he had with Juan Manuel Marquez were amazing.

You need to be fluent in both fire arms and martial arts. To me it sounds like you sparred/trained too hard. That's a massive issue with strikers. You need to take plenty of time to rest, don't train that hard and tell your training partners to go easy. Especially if you don't plan to go pro.

I train in both striking and grappling forms of self defense but I still carry a knife and gun incase there's an aggressive animal or people with weapons.

Britfag so I can't carry guns or knives.

I started doing bjj recently though.

Kek that's funny to hear. I'm not Filipino but manny got me into boxing. His speed captivated me as kid when my dad put his fights on.

>That's a massive issue with strikers
The rate of injuries for grappling is much higher than in most striking art (except for Wing chun because your self esteem is always hurt by doing that turd)

Bjj is pretty great in a 1 vs 1 scenario. If I were you I'd learn some form of striking. You don't want the pakis to stomp you out while you're choking one of his friends.

The thing is that grapplers tend to injure their tendons,ligaments or back which don't have the same consequences as the head trauma that strikers endure such as boxers.

>this is what brain damaged striker fags actually believe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

Wouls rather have bum knees than brain damage. EVERY blow you take to the head is damaging your brain.

>This meme again
Only pro boxer with decades of experience and hundreds of fights experience these head traumas. This is also not exclusive to boxing at all, pretty much any sport that has contact will have head trauma. Just look at American Football.
It is unfortunate and it does exists, but stop thinking that because you did 10 years of boxing as a hobby 3 times a week, you'll come out as a vegetable. That's soccer mom paranoid retardation.
>Did you know ? Most Marathon runners tend to have fucked up knees. We should stop walking

Yeah I will do eventually.

The bjj gym I go is one of the best in the country, and a few of the gyms that had striking too were either too far away or mcdojos.

I don't really want to be paying for a second membership either.

Once I've been doing this a while I'll branch into something else too.

>This meme again

Dude relax I'm not trying to attack grapplers.

>Only pro boxer with decades of experience and hundreds of fights experience these head traumas.

Just keep your mouth shut. Even amateurs and casual practictioners of boxing experience head trauma. The head gear doesn't completely protect you.

>This is also not exclusive to boxing

I didn't say it was. I just gave boxing as an example since the head is a big focus in boxing combat.

>That's soccer mom paranoid retardation.

Jesus you sound like such a retard. You've obviously never stepped foot in a ring or cage. Getting punched in the head isn't a joke and you need to take it seriously.

Keep on going. You'll gain muscles, lose weight and have fun. Go even if you're a bit depressed and don't want to. You need discipline.

I was severly overweight, I've only been doing muay thai for 1 year and I already lost 10 kg (22 lbs). I'm counting on you OP!

BS. I'm in France and haven't seen any muay McDojo. OTOH, krav maga has McDojos all over the world due to no sparring and being useless.

No, aikido is useless sadly even if it's good like yoga. Try BJJ or judo instead.

Haha fantastic

>The head gear doesn't completely protect you.

This.
It's funny how people think that head gear will save you from head trauma as if physics stop working when you put it on. Your brain still slams against your skull and down the road there will be consequences.

>judo lower tier than bjj

Lul

I just started muay thai as well and I fucking love it. I've only been in it a week though.

I can't seem to get my roundhouse kicks right. I know you're supposed to step in at an angle and then pivot, but it still seems like I'm kicking up, like in soccer. I have to turn my hips so my leg rotates instead, but I can't do it. It also doesn't help that I also land off balance as well.

Any tips?

fuck off reddit underage tourists

Summer is truly upon us

actually this one was me. it's been a while

Sadly, the only good eskrima is ones you find in slums and shitholes.
>tfw teacher lives in a slum and has to accompany every visitor he receives or they get fucked

I've been watching videos on boxing techniques and practicing with the heavy bag at my gym. I think I've almost got the basics down as far as punching goes. I just need to keep working in that and add in the extra footwork/movement later.

Keep training, you'll get it right soon enough. Train with a partner or work on it using the heavy bag. And don't be afraid to ask for advice.

im sort of doing this except i am learning whatever my friend learns after a week of his boxing sessions at his gym.
I wish he learned some wrestling too tho

Sumo. I know I will never be that good (5'10 190lbs) but it's fun.

None because I don't want brain damage. I want to be healthy and getting hit in the head/choked out is definitely not healthy.

Isn't boxing bad for brain?

your not going to be able to box for shit if you're not sparing and just using a bag that cant block, doge or hit back

Enjoy the time somebody wants to hit you in the head.

Enjoy the time you try and hit someone in the head and you end up getting stabbed/shot.

I live in the slums of Philippines. We have an old guy who teaches Arnis which he used back in WW2 to fend off the invading Japanese. Pruddy badass I might say.

>implying I'm going to ever assault somebody
If someone is already pulling a gun on me, I'm fucked anyway. This is common sense.

I do Bas Rutten boxing routines 3x a week. Pretty fun but I have no idea how much it helps or hurts my gains

lol, this is true. I thought my basics were fine up until i sparred. I got bopped in my face a lot and my endurance ran out during middle. I was basically just circling and curling up

you can still try and kill him

Aikido works - if you train it 10 - 15 years and do the right style, you may get along with a lot of opponents. Aikikai is like Thai Chi - nice to see but mostly useless due to it's extensive moves. There is better styles.

I know. Look at that fake shit here: youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDzWCmLd_0