OVER TRAINING

This is a meme right?

>Been working out for a couple years.
>Today I completed 42 total sets on chest/tris.
>average rep range was 1-8. >went to failure at the end of each exercises before moving on to the next.
>Total workout duration was 1 hour.
>I workout 6 days a week.
>I am only 5'10" tho so I only take in 2200 calories at 175lbs.
>9 hours of sleep on weekends, 5-7 on weekdays.
>Sometimes take up to 3 scoops of C4 tho.
I always see guys stay in the gym for a long time and do sets non stop, yet on Veeky Forums I always hear that all you need is 15 sets and workout 3 days a week to get swole. Overtraining is a fuckin meme right? Why the fuck would you set yourself a limit on how much to workout rather than going until you absolutely can't do anymore?

user, if you did big weights you wouldn't be able to do so much. Enjoy your cardio.

42 sets? that means you're doing nothing of weight...

Did 8 sets of 245 on bench m8, was doing 3-5 reps on each set so I am sure I am pushing enough weight for myself.

>I am sure I am pushing enough weight for myself.
You're not.

Wow! Dudes user he... He just xbosed us!

Dudes! user he.. Hes our new champion. All hail!

Also was resting no longer than 2 min per set. But like I said I had 3 scoops of C4 because I was tired af.

Do you split or full body? If you split what you're doing is fine.

I wait tables so it isn't convenient to go 6 days a week, 3 days for 2 hours 30 minutes is best for me.

No one cares about your CWhore

Split, I limit my workouts to no longer than an hour, I am training for both football and the Marines after I graduate so that's why I went pyscho mode this year.

>brosplit
>guys, overtraining is impossible!
Maybe you'll realize now just how much you're undertraining by hitting those muscle groups only 1.25 times per week?

Overtraining is real. It feels like a combination of not having slept in 48 hours plus a migraine plus the flu plus having just ran too much. But your programming is so suboptimal, you're training 5-days per week without getting tired.

I am training 6* days a week.
>Chest/Tris
>Back/bis
>Shoulders/legs
>Rest
Repeat.

Overtraining is a meme guaranteed. I do high volume of heavy sets and have been consistently making gains for years now. The only way overtraining can be real is if you injure yourself because you do too much.

You're undertraining.

>having to vehemently justify and defend your actions on an anonymous image board

Marine Sgt here at the island right now. If you're trying to train for boot camp by lifting you are dumb and will lose all your gainz while there. All you'll do in boot camp is cardio, pull ups, and crunches on a calorie deficit because you have about 5 minutes to stuff your face with shitty cafeteria food. You can get big again after training though.

You can hit your muscles a lot harder and more often if you're on gear. Which the huge guys you see that are always at the gym are.

For natties, overtraining is definitely a real thing.

>8 sets
Lol, lift heavier faggot.

>I am only 5'10" tho so I only take in 2200 calories at 175lbs.

That feels pretty low, unless you're 50 years old. I'm the same height and weight and my weight was being maintained with a daily average of 2700kcal. i don't even have that much lean mass, my BF% is about 20. It's possible that you could increase your calories and your expenditure goes up with it, up to a point. Having a lowered base metabolic rate is probably not good for gains. So, if you haven't been increasing in weight with your current calories, try to eat more and see what happens to your weight. Go up 50-100kcal per week.

overtraining is definitely not a meme. In general if you work out hard enough and long enough such that you're sore for more than 3-4 days after ceasing activity, you've almost certainly overtrained.

Look into what SEAL candidates have to endure while at BUD/s. That is over-training.

Overtraining is real. Just people missunderstand what it is. It's caused by exceeding you bodies recoverable work capacity for a prolonged period. It's not the same thing as one muscle groups ability to repair itself - it's not DOMs. Its more your nervous system just crashes.

When you overtrain your body feels just exhausted, you feel like you haven't slept in days. Your body hurts all over , particularly lower back shoulders and neck. You have a constant head ache.

It's happened to me twice in my life. Both caused from lifting 7 days and week in some capacity for a prolonged period of about 4 weeks plus. Both times It took at least 5 days before I felt able to train again. It's awful.

>This is a meme right?

no

>I workout 6 days a week.
>Been working out for a couple years.

assuming you've only taken maybe a mnoth total off in this time, yeah you could be overtraining. if your lifts are suffering but you're not on a cut, take a week or two off.

ignore the shitposting summerfags, 8 reps is better than 5 for almost every exercise

Nope. Try to barely take any rest days and do sports besides lifting. The threat of overtraining IS real. It doesn't have to do with high volume or heavy sets, it's about barely giving your body any rest in general.

>not having a day just for shoulders.

Nevargonarmakeit.

2200 calories and you actually grow? How?

It's real, but it's exaggerated as fuck in relation to normal lifters.

>trains a muscle group twice a week with baby weights
>thinks he is going hard

>gym newbie
>literally the first time i go to the gym
>one of the gym coaches tells me to do all these machines that hit all upper body groups
>tells me to do the same tomorrow
>wake up next day sore
>go to the gym do the same machines + soreness
>wake up next day super sore
>feel like i have been stabbed everywhere
>my chest felt like it was getting torn apart every time i move an inch
>didn't go to the gym for 3 days
>4th day still recovering but go anyways
>tell him wtf and he says yeah its a common thing to feel a little sore after working out the first time

soreness sucks, especially if your train on top of your soreness
Also i realized that the coaches at that gym are actually missing some essential chromosomes

The answer is you're doing baby weight cuckboy. If you were doing heavy compounds or heavy anything @ 85%+ of your 1rm you wouldn't be doing 42 sets. But since you're hammering out 15lb Pec Deck and going to failure on tricep kickbacks with the 10lb dumbbells you're not going to experience any symptoms of overtraining.

Kys

Look up minimum effective volume (MEV) and maximum recoverable volume (MRV).

While implementing periodization you should cycle your volume in between MEV-MRV.

Some programs utilize surpassing MRV for supercomensation, but never permanently.

Permanently surpassing MRV is called overtraining and leaves you with no gains.