Keto

Does nobody on Veeky Forums do keto anymore? Literally everyone was on it 2-3 years ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/23696431/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22157060
bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864?report=abstract
press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jcem.85.1.6291
chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-simplicity-of-dieting-it-really-is.html?m=1
breakingmuscle.com/fuel/why-all-humans-need-to-eat-meat-for-health
authoritynutrition.com/7-evidence-based-health-reasons-to-eat-meat/
authoritynutrition.com/it-aint-the-fat-people/
authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/
chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy/
chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2010/07/vegetarianism-and-veganism-best.html
chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2010/07/vesuck-at-science-heres-the-proof
lloydianaspects.co.uk/opinion/veggie.html
t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/10-things-vegetarians-get-wrong
t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/vegans-suck-at-science-heres-the-proof
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Keto was a meme perpetuated by Joe Rogan that retards on Veeky Forums thought was the panacea of all fat loss diets only to discover it's designed to make you feel like utter shit 24 hours a day because your body doesn't like burning fat to survive. Also it kills your stamina.

Wrong

speak for yourself, I've been on keto for months now and I have more energy than I ever had when I was shoveling 300+ grams of sugar (oops I mean carbohydrates) down my throat every day.

good memes lads

confronted with information that might shatter your preconceptions and core beliefs you say it's a "meme" as your counter.
get fucked faggot

Excellent shitposting

I've been on it for 6 months now and do triathlons. I will say this:

My HIIT efforts have been effected. I don't have the explosion that I did before when sprinting and it's harder to maintain that pace for 10-20min.

My long efforts (2+ hours) are way easier and I don't have that hypoglycemic feeling. No more gels which is nice because those fuckers are expensive.

As far as body fat goes I'm as lean as I've ever been and I PR'd my last race. I ate a CLIF bar before the race which is like 25g sugar, so that was my "carboload"

im doing keto right now. lost 15 lbs first month and its easymode.

What does your diet look like? Macros and composition please

Diet breakdown? Macros and calories please

take it from someone who used to love keto hard, its literally the pinnacle of shitty meme advice. Keto is a horrible diet because despite what any of these retards will say its terrible for gym performance. The only people that will say their strength isnt effected are kids who havent even reached 1/2/3/4. Seriously, im cutting right now on 285 grams of carbs a day and I havent lost any size, have made tremendous fat loss, and my gym performance is great. Ive maintained all my strength and even shot up in some lifts.. which is pretty rare for someone who has been training for 6+ years. Im telling you right now if you are reading this and are considering doing keto save yourself from an absolute colossal failure of a cut and just count your fucking macros and balance them out. There is no reason anyone should be cutting carbs completely from their diet. Also, to those who are doing keto and end up binging in carbs as soon as they get done with their cut have fun bouncing back and gaining all that weight back. Have fun fucking up your insulin sensitivity to carbs, have fun looking like a blob of shit and wasted away your entire cut. Keto. Is. A. MEME.

There's a new meme in town buddy

Have fun with your high cholesterol and insulin sensitivity on your 300g carb diet.

Oops, I meant resistance lel

>keto is a meme
guess I'm a weird fucker because I lost 160lbs in 5 months on it

1lb a day, so a deficit of 3500calories?

wow, you're not too bright are you?

>you're not too bright are you

>285 g carbs daily
jesus christ enjoy your diabetes

>Need to consume 70% fat to maintain ketosis
That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard your macros should always be 95% protein 1.25% fat, and 3.75% carbs.

>fat makes you fat lel

I've been on keto pretty much for 15 years. I only eat carbs if I am in a situation where it'd be a faux-pas to micro-manage my diet. However, I still lie sometimes and say I have "dietary restrictions" when some fatass at work is pushing donuts on me.

I love keto. I initially used it to lose ~100lbs and haven't looked back. I have very little cravings for carbs and my energy remains stable throughout the day.

It got shitposted into oblivion

I'm not him but 1 lb of fat is 3500 cals. At your rate you were losing a 32 lbs a month so you literally had to be burning off 3500 cals a day on average to lose that much weight in that short of time.

i mean, it works but it's not for everyone. some people get ammonia breath and your body, more specifically your brain does need a certain amount of carbs to function. making yourself hypoglycemic for years on end doesn't really sound like a great diet, personally.

Its a fad that doesnt provide any better results than a regulare, high protein calorie rrestricted diet.
And your breath smells like shit, its retardedly strict to follow, and youll feel like shit for the first days

And most people take a strength hit on it. I mean I also take a strength hit from losing weight in general, but its way worse while in keto. Flexible dieting for me all the way.

Have had good success with it when paired with IF. Lost a good bit of weight, felt great and had lots of energy. I'm bulking again so I have increased my carb intake slightly.

You guys should read sticky

>Finally, fad diets: keto, zone, no fat, no protein, that-weird-thing-your-mom-does. Many of these are centered around carb vs fat balance, others are about a specific piece of food. As you should know, there is no evidence that any of these are better than others. If you believe in these diets, go do them, just remember that in the end, it’s about persistence, patience, protein and calories. If your diet of choice gets these 4 right, it will work. If not, it wont.

I don't need Keto. I just cut unhealthy food.

DNDTP

I feel amazing on keto. Granted I have a lot of spare energy on me still

Not sure why there is such vehement opposition to keto on this board. It works for a lot of people, but it's not for everyone. Most seem to not have any issues with it and it's not so restrictive when compared with most diets.
The low energy / feeling like shit all the time is a strawman. Keto flu is real, but :
- it's only around while your body is adjusting to ketosis
- sometimes it doesn't even happen
- can be mitigated by increasing consumption of certain micronutrients such as magnesium and potassium
If you think keto is a meme, I recommend you at least go do some research and see what's it about first. Know your enemy and all that right?

>high cholesterol from carbs

wut

You have no idea what causes diabetes

>its easymode.
this desu
i've dropped 13kgs in 3 months with no calorie counting. i've been doing IF as well so it's even easier since i only eat one meal a day at night. i do carb backloading once a week on my heaviest lift day however.

The body produces cholesterol to combat inflammation. Carbs cause inflammation.

If you think carbs is the root of all evil then you should read up on it

>you should read up on it
That's what I did.

Let me guess, it's dietary fat? Lol

because it's a fad
and we're onto IF now
keep up

If carbs are bad then why do all the blue zones(where they have the most people above 100) in the world eat a Mediterranean style diet? With lots of carbs.
Even if it did, hypothetically ,cause inflamation why does it matter? Exercise cause inflamation. Yet its the healthiest thing you can do

I personally feel great on keto, nice projection tho

Not him but you're making the assumption that

1) He's not trolling (probably is)

2) Even if he's not trolling, that all the weight lost is entirely fat

>correlation arguments

Youre the one who simply stated carbs cause inflamation without any context or studies to back it up.

>muh correlation
Perhaps people in those areas have a genetic advantage with genes involved in inflammation control?
There's a world of difference between the acute inflaming of a muscle in response to a strenuous workout and chronic inflammation of the internal organs and arteries.
That's not me.
Anyway:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/articles/23696431/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22157060

It indeed is carb , but if you"re not a SEDENTARY PIECE OF SHIT ( like 95% of the keto community ) you will use all of your carb , only FAT FUCK let their carbs stockpile , de novo glucogenesis through carb never happen in a fit active person .

The very very small % of the keto community who isn't entirely made of lazy cunt (literally) is the Ketogain subreddit and all of those who doesn't look like pasty dyels are using TKD or CKD because they're retarded pussy afraid of carbs .

If you are physically active and don't spend 98% of your time in the low HR zone ( I.E : browsing the keto subreddit ) you can eat 100 to 300g of carb a day without any fucking drawback .

Keto is good if you want to lose weight while doing nothing ( no activity ,no planning ,no macro counting )

>But muh energy level
,When Ketoer tell people about their excellent and stable energy level since they went keto , they usually compare their old diet ( Trashy junkshit loaded with sugar and trans fat ) with their new keto diet where they culled most of the shit and learned to add vegetables , offcourse there will be an improvement .

de novo lipogenesis *

Keto is good for lazy women and Nu-obese-male who want to lose weight . But any man who want to get fitter & exercise should consume carb , you do get neuro & muscular adapation from doing low intensity exercice but If you want to get the full package you need to do high intensity shit often ( sprinting ,cycling , High volume liftan with low rest , High intensity Liftan ) , and no matter what the ketoer will tell you , keto will hinder your ability to do so , the only ketor who can still do it are those who eat more than the 20-50 g carbs recommended by the keto community .

> but if you"re not a SEDENTARY PIECE OF SHIT... you will use all of your carb

Pretty sure majority of the western world is obese, sedentary and consumes a high carbohydrate diet.

Do you think that anything someone else does ever excuses your own bullshit logic, as if this is some contest as to who can barely edge another person out on bullshit? You're a fucking idiot.

>ketp thread
>its filled with (((carbohebes)))
Everytime

I eat very clean on a high carb diet and I feel like shit multiple times a day. The carb crash is real dude

gonna switch to keto soon

yes yes yes this
lost 20 lbs. in a little over a month

>vegans have high cholestrol

Guess what type of foods are loaded with cholestrol.

Does anybody else get really fucking horny on keto?

I've been doing it for 2 weeks with good results and in these last days my libido skyrocketed, even though I'm taking taking some antidepressants that supposedly should kill it. I went from fapping every 3-4 days to everyday, sometimes twice, and I still get the urge to tenderly violate any qt grill in sight.
I have no proof obviously but I suspect keto did something to raise my T levels, and it feels amazing.

A high carb diet along with a high fat intake including saturated fats and overall a really high caloric intake is what creates obesity, along with inactivity.

Truth is, increasing your calories on a bulk is healthier if done in the form of higher carb intake than a higher fat intake.
And achieving a caloric defficit from a fat intake reduction is SUPERIOR to a carb intake reduction, EVEN FOR OBESE SEDENTARY PEOPLE.

Fat is directly stored as fat FIRST even on keto, so it literally makes you fatter than carbs or proteins do.
The only reason why keto is a thing is because fat oxidation slightly elevates when you achieve ketosis, but since to achieve ketosis over 70% of your calories must come from fats you are really not getting any benefit since you're burning more fat but also storing more fat.

I got the exact opposite when switching from keto at caloric maintainance to a caloric defficit vegan diet, plus my erections last longer.

No. When eating at a deficit and your body is in ketosis, any fat consumed is used for energy not stored.

No, you still store fat, but you also burn more as a result, and the more of a caloric defficit you are in, the less fat you're probably eating, and the more fat you body needs to use as energy to compensate.

Fat is ALWAYS stored first, no matter what kind of diet you are on.

bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/

>A high carb diet along with a high fat intake including saturated fats and overall a really high caloric intake is what creates obesity, along with inactivity.
wow eating alot combined with sitting on the couch the whole day creates obesity who knew

its not about macros if you eat enough to become obese, its about eating a lot

if you read other studies you'll see that eating a lot in general isnt healthy long term. What makes keto so special is people dont get as hungry so its easier to eat less

Both groups had the same total of calories in the study, the only variables between the two groups are fat/carb percentages.
And the group that ate the least ammount of fat lost the most fat.

Not true at all.

Ive been on it since April and lost 14 pounds.

I lift 3 times a week and run at least twice.

dude its a fucking study about obese people who gives a fuck

point is keto works because it increases satiety. Get to a normal bodyfat percentage, and then try to cut while eating carbs you'll feel like shit

The point is that even on sedentary people a high carb diet is preferable than a high fat diet.
Meaning keto is a shit meme, not only for athletes(except maybe for marathon runners) but also for sedentary people, and it only has benefit for people with serious health issues.

I wouldn't say keto "works", people still get hormonal issues on keto, cholestrol induced arthery clogging, adrenal fatigue and a bunch of other shit.
Keto reduces performance instantly, across the board, there is really no reason to go on ketosis, not one, except for any metabolic disorder that you might have.

>satiety

Try and not feel full eating a proper whole foods diet mainly composed of legumes and vegetables and lean meats.

I dont know all about that sine doctors are recommending keto more and more now

you sound like you need to stop discussing it and need to try it for arguments sake

nice 'low carb' study m80

Fat is not a bad macro in itself but it's just the most useless one , get your essential Omega 3 , get just enough protein , and use all of your remaining Cals to Carb up and be a high intensity , quick recovery human machine .

+ 50g ( 450 kcals ) of fat at maintenance won't increase your energy level at all , but +450 Kcals of carb will make your energy level skyrocket .

Except they don't.
The largest body of nutritionists and dietetics in america has stated that a (vegetarian)diet low in fats and high in carbs is preferable for all stages of life, including athletes.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864?report=abstract
Pretty much all athletes in the olympic level gorge on carbs.
Sprinters, gymnasts, weightlifters, throwers, jumpers, swimmers,etc.
All of them, or at the very least the VAST majority of them use high carbs in their diet.

How are you gonna go against this with your PATHETIC personal bias that has little basis on reality? And no, some random guy who's on enough juice to keep his muscles bloated with water is not proof that keto works best for even bodybuilding.
For every single guy you can post, I can find 10 others that don't do keto.

The only good part of keto is that it's the closest you can get to a fast mimicking diet .

Fasting is good but trying to get your body as close as possible to a fasting state 100% of the time is not good for it long term ( on top of that most of the water fasting community overlap with ketoer / paleo )

10 Others ? More like 2000 others

That's pretty much my stand on fat intake, anything higher than 50g a day even for a big male is unnecessary and it doesn't maximize body composition or performance(maybe except for very long distance runners who can benefit from a slow and steady energy source but I'm not sure)-
It's not something that's terrible, but it's more of a "dump" macro that you should only take as a consequence of eating actually healthy foods in trace ammounts.
And diabetics still manage to be on a high carb diet as long as they don't eat much sugar and keep their fiber intake moderate.

> consumes a high carbohydrate diet.

High simple carb + high fat is the western diet

Keto has been found to mimick a fast in certain aspects that I have still to understand, I believe it is the main reason why it started being implemented in patients with mental and metabolic disorders.

And yeah, fasting or doing keto does cause adrenal fatigue in some people, it's not something that should be done long term at all.

Yes , maybe you could to a 3 day fast per month MAX .

Yes

I think it's also important to say that Excess post exercise oxygen consumption is the major contributor to calories burned through exercise and is directly correlated to the intensity of the exercise and the length of it , but if you run on low carb you won't be able to output high power for a long duration , you're basically stuck doing LISS .

sigh...I guess we can all agree (at least) that processed foods and candy / sugar is garbage

Yeah, I think that's literally the only thing every diet agrees on.

a-are you me?

You would think, but then you even have shit like the Ray Peat diet that thinks refined sugar is good "because it's easy to digest"

goddammit. and the thing is that people who follow this diet could probably produce a few dozen scientific studies that back their claims up. how the fuck does one deal with that? I DON'T KNOW WHO OR WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE!

just
eat
real
food

The further from the mainstream a piece of diet advice is, the more likely it is to be wrong.

>inb4 some conspiracy theory to explain why no qualified expert should be trusted

except the mainstream (i.e. government guidelines) is bullshit

any advantage to going lowish carbs? 100 on rest to 250 on a harder workout day? or is this a bad middleground?

If you're an average dude, 60-80g protein and the rest fat is fine.

Keto is shit for strength, but I do it so I don't have to do a bulk/cut cycle.

Keto breath sucks DESU, but a good tounge-scrapper gets rid of that. Along with a peppermint.

The body can also convert protein to carbs, so you'll never be out of vital carbs (if you're healthy).

I can't really speak on behalf of the healthiness of hypoglycemia, but from anecdotes alone it doesn't seem like a problem.

>The largest body of nutritionists and dietetics in america has stated that a (vegetarian)diet low in fats and high in carbs is preferable for all stages of life, including athletes.
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864?report=abstract
>preferable
Except that's a load of bullshit rooted in bad science and dietary memes. Vegetarian diets are only 'preferable' or superior to the SAD/people who don't bother to exercise; as vegetarians/vegans themselves are merely more likely to be health conscious and not sit on their ass all day. Trying to use your above study as proof especially for
>Pretty much all athletes in the olympic level gorge on carbs.
>Sprinters, gymnasts, weightlifters, throwers, jumpers, swimmers,etc.
>All of them, or at the very least the VAST majority of them use high carbs in their diet.
>And no, some random guy who's on enough juice to keep his muscles bloated with water is not proof that keto works best for even bodybuilding.
doesn't hold water, especially when diets full of protein/animal products have been proven to be the healthiest and most effective over any other diet and especially fad ones
>(cont.)

>(cont.)
>press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jcem.85.1.6291
>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-simplicity-of-dieting-it-really-is.html?m=1
>breakingmuscle.com/fuel/why-all-humans-need-to-eat-meat-for-health
>authoritynutrition.com/7-evidence-based-health-reasons-to-eat-meat/
>authoritynutrition.com/it-aint-the-fat-people/
>authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/
>chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy/
>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2010/07/vegetarianism-and-veganism-best.html
>chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2010/07/vesuck-at-science-heres-the-proof getarianism-and-veganism-are-as.html
>lloydianaspects.co.uk/opinion/veggie.html
>t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/10-things-vegetarians-get-wrong
>t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/vegans-suck-at-science-heres-the-proof
>The body can also convert protein to carbs, so you'll never be out of vital carbs (if you're healthy).
What?