>fourth time I've decided to really push myself running
>fourth time I woke up with the flu the next day
>fuck everything I'm so sick

1 mile 6.56min
5k 26.50min
10k I'll let you know when I get there
Half I'll let you know when I get there
Marathon I'll let you know when I get there

will I ever make it ;_; When I started running, my mile time was 8 minutes, so that's nice I guess.

Yes, your 5k time is very respectable for someone not doing it seriously. At my club lots are happy with sub 30 5k

Keep going user, the first step is the hardest of the run. Get out, run to enjoy not for time or distance. Bask in the glow after. Just take it easy and when you are ready to smash it you will.

Stats aside, how do you improve your stamina and breathing during a run?

Right now I can do a mile in about 9m 45s but I'm just about blown after that. My pace drops maybe a full 45s for the second mile and slower each time.

Tips? Tricks? Should I start mixing tren with fucking cheetah blood? I don't even know.

Chubby here.
Can you give me /starting run/?
How often? Rest days or lift days? First thing in the morning? etc.

Can I add running to my weightlifting routine without eating all my gains?

Should I run when weighting 101kg, most of it upper body muscle?
Did it a few times but made my knees hurt.

What are some credible reads on how to do running?

Mile 5.25
5k 16.55
10k I can't remember if I did better than 37m
Never ran a half or full but my high school coach still emails me to stop by and pick up a box of Boston Marathon long sleeves even though I graduated 12 years ago.

25 is fucking bad in my opinion.

I was running 5k in under 20min when I was 15.

Please respond

If by run you mean jog then yeah. I'm blessed enough to have 2 parks close by with mountain bike trails cut into the woods so no hard pavement or even mulch for me. I'm at 182lb though

I used to be able to run a mile in 6:20 with 0 training and never running. Now that I'm in the weight room every day and 40 lbs heavier, I can only run a mile in 7:30.

It is as far as competition. I was barely hitting 16s and that was hovering around 18th place. Real event dip into the lower 14

Just keep the mileage up. And keep going. Try and get your rhythm and your pace sorted. It will come down to practise.

Try and work some sprints and other stuff to get your VO2 up.

It could be a mental block too. You are aware of it now, so don't focus on it, when you hit that wall tell yourself to man the fuck up and push through it.

Aye watch your knees mate. I would say build with the bike and then slowly transition to running further distances until you ditch the bike.

I was at my best at 92kg deadlifting 200kg and could run 5km in 18:30. That was in the Military though.

I now sit at 100kg and can do 5km in 23 mins. Still trying to get back below the 20min mark. Doing bike for cardio and transitioning slowly to more and more miles. Doesn't help I tore a ligament in my ankle.

But you gotta watch them knees mate.

Did ye, aye?

Depends how much running you want to do, but generally the answer is yes. I find cardio to get immensely helpful with training.

I accidentally rolled my ankle on Sunday and it kind of hurt that day, but I was able to jog two miles yesterday and it didn't bother me. I noticed it was starting to hurt again towards the end of the day though. Should I just skip cardio today or keep jogging?

My method sadly can't help ya too much but Indian runs were always apart of our daily workout

How chubby we talking?

Again, start with the bike to get the weight off, heart pumping and it's low impact on the knees.

As the weight comes off and your cardio improves you can get the miles in your legs with running. Gradually increase running distance and decrease the bike.

Brisk walking lol

I roll my ankle pretty much every run. Had a trainer check up on it a while back too. You can run through that shit as long as you don't roll it again you aren't at risk of injury by running.

10 kg too much
How long? Do I have to measure heart rate n stuff or is "exhausting" a good enough measure?

Ok, that's good. I only got into running a couple months ago so I want to make sure I'm not hurting myself more.

>16:58 5k
>5:05 mile

How. Have you never done a speed workout in your life?

>5:25 mile

You as well. Get your ass on the track once a week. Your mile PR should not be that slow for being able to run sub-17 5ks

Don't bother with heart rates or anything like that yet. Just get out and do it. 10kg isn't too bad.
Still go from biking to running, as it's low impact and you can slowly increase you running miles as you progress. Without battering your knees.

Set a distance on the bike say 5km/10km. Then give it a bash, don't thrash it, but give it a good pace. And judge your timing and pace from that.

Same with the treadmill set it for 2.4km and just have a run at what feels comfortable. (Or run outside with a distance you know). Get comfortable with your pace rhythm and breathing.

Get your timings from that, and if you have to walk some of it then walk.
Once you have a basic picture from that, then work at getting the mileage in your legs and then work on your times.

Use distance rather than time, it give you a goal and is easier to measure your improvements with distance.

There's plenty of walk run programmes online to help you too.

CC was off season shit and 1600 was as a backup runner. Main event was 800 and 4x800 which I waltz all over with 1.55's. My miles probably slower now but for sure I know my last 5k was 17.01. Mainly run for fun and to relax now so never went back to PR my mile. Thanks for the push and all but winning shit is behind me. only reason I still do 5k is because company charities and incentives for top placers plus my picture all over the lobby charity run display case

In High School

4:53 Mile
16:33 5k

I've always had shit speed my whole life yet people still thought I was a quick runner (i.e always the lead off batter in baseball). The longer the race/workout, the better I perform compared to others, yet I always get shit on when actual speed comes into play.

tfw I only ran two 400m and didn't even break 60s

Weight adds time

1 mile - about 8-10 minutes..

oh, wait - it's OCR race, not some running around the stadium..

The weird thing with running is that for serious runners they're in their own universe where they pull like 14 minutes for a 5k but every single race that's open to everyone I've been at has been won with an 18 minute or higher

Hell I got 6th out of 3000 entrants for a 5k last year with a 19:30

How does one get better at the 12min run/cooper test?

I can increase my endurance all i want, but it wont matter if im slow as fuck atm. (5k in 30 min)

You can get shoes that force your ankle to tilt differently, my feet are supinated and love to try to roll inwards so I got shoes that force them to roll the other way a bit and it equalized them.

I can understand that. Most races have the team relying on you placing while events are usually just chill shit for charities and such. lead can probably gauge their pace and play it safe knowing they can finish strong

Calves start hurting when doing my 5k, should i be stretching them more? im guessing yes

sounds more like something you're not eating. stretching aside, whats your warmup?

Proper stretching won't hurt. Also do it twice, before and after your workout.

Stretching mostly lunges and then a 10 min walk, should i up it?

Try more variety of stretches like calf raises and you should definately up the warmup to a jog

thx for tips will do today

I would have to say this . a light jog doesnt even have to be 10 minutes. looking on the interwebs I see a lot of excessive shit though. I erased some of the stuff ive never seen people doing at races or been told to do myself because im being bias

Do you not race HM or Marathon much? I ask because you have fantastic times for 10k and under but the longer two are severely lacking. You would thrash me on 10k but I would batter you on HM.

1 mile - 5:24
5k - 18:28
10k - 38:51
HM - 1:29:20
Mara - 4:06:51 (only raced once 3 years ago.)

10k is hands down my favourite distance, just enough endurance and speed. I don't get on well passed 15k desu, not sure what it is, likely my training is mainly focused on 10k and 10 miles races as I enjoy them the most

5k 22:15
10k 42:20
Half 1:42
Full 3:45

Fuck any distance below 5k.
Also, I'm quite surprised at your "slow" half considering your 5k time.

I guess I should read the whole thread before posting

1 mi 12 min
5k 40ish min
9 mi 150min

Start with walking longer and longer distances. Just do it as often as you feel like you can.

Mile: 5:27
2mi : 11:40
5k: 19:07

Any tips from runneranons on how to not get bored on runs? I am bored out of my mind any distance longer than 2 miles and it affects my speed. I want to get a sub 18 5k time.

No problem. Yeah like I said, 10k is "my" distance

Outdoor or treadmill?

It is impossible not to get bored at the treadmill

Music helps me. I just put my favorite or more motivational songs nearer to the end.
I also run outdoors with a gps watch, I use that plus landmarks on a familiar route to push myself. Ie, 'that street corner up there marks 2.5 miles, I'm at 14:30, if I push it I can pass it before 15:00' etc

knee popped about 3 weeks ago, tried to run since and i nearly fell over in pain

how much fitness have i lost in those 3 weeks? if i was running 10 miles in a session how much should i do when i start again?

3 weeks is not that much really.

That said, start conservatively. I'd suggest to start with a 5k, and go from there. If you still felt it tough, maybe continue with the 5ks or tone it down.

Average Mile: roughly 4:30
5k: 23:20

My routine is currently HIIT on two nights of the week where I do 45 sec brisk walk, followed by 30 secs sprint 14 times and I try to get a 5 or 10 km done each Sunday

>tfw 50 year old dad just did 20:30

how do I match him /run/?

>Average Mile: roughly 4:30
Did you mean km? With that mile time you'd have a low 15 or so 5k time

I think you should do more long slow runs. people tend to underestimate those. Also, try to do HIIT with 400m or so intervals, 30s feels too short

I love running and used to track my runs lenght time etc with my phone, but i dropped that because i like running free just not worrying how long my runs going to be or getting the next medal on the app and so on.

But i have been thinking about getting a running watch (shit cant remember what those are called in english). Ive heard theyre useful. Do i need the strap thing around my chest thingy? I really dont want that.

Are there watches which can get your heart rate from your wrist and can they sync with my phone?

Pic is where i usually run

Week three of Couch to 5k.
Soon I'll be ready for when velociraptors get cloned and come out really big.

There are smart watches with heart rate monitors so you wouldn't need the chest ones. They are less accurate though, but way more convenient

I'm not sure what you mean with syncing with the phone. Smart watches will usually have an app associated where you can update, check shit, etc. Most will also allow you to export automatically your run to other running apps like strava.

I've heard static stretching before a run is bad though, or are these dynamic stretches?

I can't get a good grasp of it, I used to stretch before every run but then I was told not to and to do dynamic stretches instead.

But then a college runner told me their warmup is literally just a slower paced 1 mile run before they do an event

I have no idea which is correct but what I do know is my fucking calves are garbage that take forever to warm up

Keep up the good work user. we're all gonna make it

5K -

May have just reached a sub-25 5k. My gps tracker was slightly off, so tomorrow or Thursday, whenever I go out again, I'm using a dedicated running gps tracker to determine it. I'm pumped as fuck.

800m - 2:14
1600m - 5:12
3200m - 11:54
5k - 19:47

I havent ran a timed race since high school but I like to think I could still run a sub 20 5k

yeah sorry, I meant km. Thanks for the advice

>3 times a week for thirty minutes.
>Try and do it in the mornings.
>If you're getting too tired to keep jogging, slow your pace way down.

I couldnt even run a full mile my first time. Now a month later I can run 3 easy.

400m: 50.85
800m: 1:57
1600m: 4:16
mile: 4:19
3200m: 9:11
5000m: 15:01

if ur fat, dont run or youll fuck up your knees. lose weight then run, or just swim, row, walk etc

>mfw had stress fracture for a year
>thought it was just shinsplints
>never really bothered me untill today

What do lads? Im gonna see the doctor but i dont wanna quit running for months.

800m 2:19
1600m 5:12
2 mile: 11:43
5k: 18:25
8k: 31:03

I'm a fucking RUNLET

typically it's 4-6 weeks. You kind of have to take it off. it doesn't get any better.

In the meantime, you can cross train on a bike or in the pool, and if there's an alter g near you, they'll typically let you use it after 2-3 weeks.

hang in there user

How about weight training?
Can i still squat and deadlift?

Anyone got any exercises for hip pain. Its only on my right side when i run, caused by some imbalance which im not sure of yet

Guys I just ran 5 miles I'm really proud of myself I just started this summer I just wanted to tell someone

How do you guys breath when you run? After learning about the benefits of only nose breathing, running became so much smoother. Mouth breathing dried my throat out and hurt my lower rips and diaphragm

I think so. I've always been told that stress fractures are about impact.

if it's just tight, try stretching it (pic related). in terms of strengthening, try one legged squats, and make sure your knee doesn't buckle inwards. also, get one of those bands, put it around your knee and do a crab walk or lie down on one side and raise your upper leg.
every serious runner I know breathes exclusively through their mouth; I don't think you can get enough oxygen otherwise

We're all proud user

as someone who struggles to sun a 5k in 30 minutes

a 16 minute 5k seems like benching 3000 pounds

thank

How should I eat for the best cardio performance? I'm trying to up my APFT numbers, but my performance seems to change a lot day-to-day.

performance will always change a lot day to day. my old coach's favorite thing to say after a bad race was "the worst runner on his best day will beat the best runner on his worst day."

in terms of eating, it varies a lot from person to person, but my typical pre-race schedule is to eat a decent amount of protein plus some carbs 2 and a half hours before. typical examples include bagel and lox or a power bar and some baguette.

for the night before, if it's a morning race, I usually have pasta, because it's usually out of my system before the start. if it's an afternoon race I've found that it doesn't really matter.

That being said, I've known people to eat anything from steak to mac & cheese and have good results, so you kind of have to see what works for you

Any advice for a flat footed, ripped left leg tendon 2 years ago, bad knees kinda guy?
Even though I bike where ever I need to go I still got a little food gut.
I find myself tiring out too fast just running a simple block.
A 'kys' is also an applicable answer

No experience with that set of injuries, but I think there are insoles for flat feet, and make sure you have the right amount of padding for knees: too much can be just as bad as too little.

In terms of getting back into shape, go for milage before speed, even a tiny jog is better than nothing. for biking, I've always had to bike rides on their own for them to be helpful, so that's the only thing I'm focusing on. Your experience may vary though.

I've been lucky enough to never be out more than a few months at a time, so I'm not sure it'll be completely applicable to you, but it's the best advice I have.

Does slow mileage help the cardiovascular system more than quick, shorter distances? I'm training for my PFT and need to minimize my 1.5 mile time by running far longer distances instead of the actual 1.5 mile.

800m 2:03
1500m 4:11
5k 17:06
10k 37:34
Half 1hr 45min

If you're just getting back into shape (which I assumed based on the injury list), building a (milage) base is the best thing you can do. Once you're in decent shape, you need a mix of longer stuff and intervals. specifics depend on what level you're at, but some reasonable places to start are:
2-3 mile tempo runs, pushing the pace that you're comfortable at, maybe 20-30 seconds per mile slower than your goal
4x1000m repeats at 10 seconds faster than your goal with maybe 3-4 minutes rest
3x1 mile repeats 5-10 seconds slower than your goal pace with 5-6 minute rest
5 mile long run with 3 minutes easy, 2 minutes hard repeated throughout
take at least 1 easy day between workouts and 1 day cross training per week. do you need a specific time?

I'm not
sorry for the confusion. I'm not in great shape either but I've never had issues with injuries
What's considered a good mileage base? I've been running 3-4 miles regularly.

milage depends on the level. what time do you want to run?

In the long-term I'd like to run 1.5 miles in 9:12 or less.

That's a good goal.

I would say that you can probably start some lighter workouts now, and build your milage a little bit at the same time. You probably want to be comfortable at 4-5 consistently before you start doing tempo runs or mile repeats. right now, I would say to do maybe 2 workouts/harder runs per week, 3 longer runs, 1 easy day (warm up and stretch) and 1 off day. workout/harder runs right now would probably be the 3 easy/2 hard thing for 3 miles, or reps in the 600-1200m range. equal rest for reps is a decent rule of thumb. try 3 reps if you're doing 1200s up to 5 reps for 600s.

best of luck user

How/when does running stop fucking sucking? I can run a 5k in 21 minutes, but only do them for 5ks for charity or education or some shit. I think its the competing that makes me more into that. But if its not for something like that I just can't bring myself to run because it sucks, I'd rather be doing some sport or something.

after 1-2 months off it always takes me at least 2-3 weeks of running 6 times per week to stop feeling like shit. A nice trail and friends to run with really help if you can find them. after a while you find a pace that feels comfortable, and it feels good afterwards. It's been a while since I started running though, so I can't really speak to that.

Thanks a lot for the guidance, man.

yahoo.com/news/2-charged-death-ala-girl-forced-run-082216169.html

Don't push it, user. Stop if you feel pain or your injuries will get worse.

1 water bottle from being the next Bekele