What are some jobs that require "functional strength"?

I see functional strength as a reason for why people lift. So, what jobs would require this supposed functional strength?

Former cop here. Honestly not much functional training required.. if you have to restrain someone it's all adrenaline, not really something you need to train for just have to be willing to get stuck in.

I'd say firefighters and military mostly require functional movements.

as a surgeon, posture is everything when operating. That's why I make sure to stay fit and keep my posterior chain strong, hence why I take care of my diddles. our attendings yell at everyone else about their posture but I'm spared.

Ah, I see. But wouldn't you have to use functional strength if you have to restrain a obese or a giant muscular dude?

Is this not a little bit of a lie?
Most of the cops I see are strong.

yah i see tons of muscular/strong framed cops

Firefighter/Paramedic bruh it's great. Get paid/encouraged to workout. Lifting patients, pulling/pushing/moving heavy shit, intense periods pushing yourself to your limits it's honestly a blast.

That's true but the question was whether functional training was necessary. a lot of cops are strong but it's because they like to train it rather than because it is required.

You are a surgical resident and have spare time to post on Veeky Forums and work out.
LOL good one

Wasn't really paying attention to the OP, but I'll humour you anyway.
"Functional training" is a memerino that can mean whatever you want it to mean. Cops are strong because being strong is useful. Not because they're jocks who never grew up, or whatever you're trying to imply.

Well you learn about utilising pressure points and how to take advantage of the body's fragile joints particularly wrists as the effect method of restraint as part of training which doesn't require much pressure. I've arrested big strong guys (some who have admitted to steroids). Some people get freakishly strong when they are high, strong enough to bend ridges handcufffs (they are in a lot of pain as a result when they come down and often do irepairable damaged to wrists as a result).

Not much you can do to train for grappling someone except for doing wrestling training. The most effective way of managing a violent prisoner is to utilise superior numbers and know how to effectively use tactical options from verbal commands to baton and spray depending on the circumstances.

Honestly the worst people to deal with are women particularly skinny ones. Men fight back the same way - they try to punch you in the face or head but you. Women have no boundaries - they spit more than men, try to kick you in the nuts, pull hair, dig nails into you.thier small size mean they are good at squirming free.

I wasn't implying jocks I was just implying that people who enjoy keeping active are often attracted to a job where they are out and about doing something rather than sitting at a desk full time (there's still a fair amount of that too lol).

Don't get me wrong there's certainly a number of people that get into law enforcement for the feeling of power over others which goes hand in hand with wanting to look physically imposing. But in my experience that's not the majority of people. Most get into it because they want to help people.

nurses and CNAs have to move fatasses on occasion too but we sure as hell dont get paid for it. Probably a lot less strenuous than EMS dudes' lifting on the job

Except EMS get paid like garbage compared to nurses.

serving cop here, this guy is right. restraining people is 99% adrenaline

being bigger doesn't hurt though since it makes some people think twice about fighting you

I'm currently working in an office furniture and moving company. They manufacture tables, chairs, cabinets etc. but the way the business works is they give clients an online tool to play with and draw their entire office. We come in, haul the shit in, set up the tables, cabinets, dividers etc. So that when the client comes in their office is complete.

It's like being a mover except only office clients. I definitely benefit from having a strong back, good squat and deadlift form etc.

Also it's a shit job but better than others that require no education. Going back to uni this fall though, fuck manual labor.

Tard wrangler

Nurses are actually pretty strong most of the time, even if they don't look like it. Lifting fat people into and out of beds gives them hidden strength. Nurses also get attacked occasionally by crazy patients and have to fight them to the ground before they get seriously hurt. Word of warning though: if you stick with nursing for your career, your back will fail you starting in your late 40s (if you're lucky) due to repetitive motions and at that age recovering will be nearly impossible.

that's because the average nurse knows about good body mechanics but still doesn't use them because they're women who've never lifted a day in their life and dont really get it

nursing does inevitably fuck your back a little but nothing major as long as you play it smart and get help when moving the beastplanets.

You gotta be that one guy who arches his back and does a squat to pick up anything for any reason. They will laugh at you but when you still have a back at age 30 you'll be the one laughing

So, that is one hot Brazilian.

I don't want functional strength for a job,I just want to be strong enough to toss other people around like ragdolls for sex and fighting

So a woman fantasizing about being arrested by hot cop is okay but me wanting to be fed milky from big titty mommy is not?

Garbage man
Contractor
Mainly most blue collar jobs
Maybe armed forces as well but idk

Cop here, while most of what

Says is right i don't understand why these fucks would say strength isn't really used in LE it's definitely a plus in anything to be knowledgeable on taking an opponent on AND having strength. I've heard alot of cops act like this and it's funny cause they're usually small or fat. And while I don't doubt they're good at what they do it's irrefutable to say strength isn't a plus.

Barely intermediate here, current deadlift at 405 lbs. I'm not gonna pretend my new strength is necessary for my restaurant jobs, but carrying full bus tubs/trays/changing kegs is suddenly not back breaking work. Except now I'm the guy that constantly gets asked to get buckets of ice and move tables.

are you a nsw cop?
if so how is it, i was thinking of doing it

Former mil here. Served in conventional infantry and SOF. A lot of the fitness that is needed is power endurance stuff, but you gotta be a strong motherfucker to sprint to cover with someone wounded on your back who weighs 250 lbs+ with all his gear on. Also helps to be strong so your ruck and gear don't break you on long movements. Strong ligaments and muscles around the joints also help with not developing overuse injuries.

LE here, other than functional strength appearance is important too like one user mentioned. Fat people in uniform is fucking disgusting.

Its not even just pressure points and the size of your muscle but using your fucking head and im not talking about your tiny little pecker either.

There are lots of things to taking a guy down. Take a class in judo, bjj, sambo... Use their force against them and throwing their balance off is big.

Im not a cop but i can tell you that ive been in some scrap that started with someone pushing me and ended up with their arm twisted behind their back and me on top. I allowed them to push me in one direction and used the momentum they gave me. The best example i can give is that of a revolving door. If you dont move out of its way its going to hit you from behind

>So, what jobs would require this supposed functional strength?
Drilling

Nurses are overpaid.

Paramedics move more people for half the pay

Strength is the mother

Best idea is

Weapons tactics
Gym
Boxing
Krav-Maga
Stress inoculation exercises
^All these offer pretty quick benefit and bang for buck

Learning Jujitsu or Judo are supreme however they take a long time to learn and get good at

Realistically:
Gym 2-3/week
Kickboxing 1-2/week
Weapons tactics 2-8/month
Judo/Jujitsu 2-3/week

Maybe he's Ortho

He's obviously not a real surgeon but an orthopedist.
Perhaps general surgery would also be possible with the fine motor impairment that lifting confers, but it's less likely.

Powerlifting requires a lot of functional strength.

more like functional strenght requires a lot of powerlifting