Deadlifts

What's your favourite kind of deadlift?

Is there any reason not to go for higher rep ranges (e.g. 12x3) for deadlifts?

Conventional deadlift is best deadlift.

And yes, it's a lot more fun to pick up some heavy shit 3-6 times then it is to pick up some significantly less heavy shit 8-12 times.

Sumo

8-12 reps of 5-7 sets depending on how I'm feeling.

how much weight do you use? Seems to be a lot of volume to be quite honest famalam.

Its not about having fun for me, but to feel that I worked hard. So it would make no difference for me as long as I feel as exhausted after 12x3 as after 5x5.

I do 3x12 RDLs regularly and I always feel like I'm gonna pass out

sumo for mobility, conventional for pure strenght

snatch grip diddlys became my new favourite

Deadlift is best deadlift. Others are fine but unnecessary if you're focusing on strength or aesthetics.

I did 3x5 before because my grip always gave out.

After adding straps I do 6x3 heavy and 5x5 light

Standard deadlift progress for anyone should look something like:
0-130kg Double Overhand
130-180kg Mixed Grip
180kg+ Mixed Grip + Straps
250kg+ Hook Grip + Straps

Standard, double overhand, no belt.

If you can't dl at least 4 plaet without a belt, you need to rethink your routine

You don't need to do anything but mixed grip once the weight gets too heavy for DOH. Hook grip is a meme, crushing your thumbs is not fun.

You won't tear a bicep if you aren't an idiot and literally try to row the weight while you deadlift it, and not doing steroids helps with that too.

And can I just go for 60% of the weight for 12 reps? Calculator gives the same 1RM.

Volume is probably the most overlooked thing on Veeky Forums desu

>variations
>12x3
>not 5s
>implying rep ranges outside of 1x5 can exist for such complete complex and hard lift
Prepare to trigger some people
Also I alternate between Sumo and Conventional, IMO one does not replace the other and each of is a different variation of the movement. Even though Snatch Grip DL is my favorite variation, I often do SLDL for volume as assistance.
>Is there any reason not to go for higher rep ranges (e.g. 12x3) for deadlifts?
That's the beginning of rep range for big boys, so yes there's plenty of reason to higher rep ranges. Doing 2s and 1s can be a thing.

>Hook grip is a meme
You might want to tell that to the entire bodybuilding, olympic and power lifting industry

snatch grip is best
stiff leg snatch grip is also nice

Weightlifters use hook grip because they can't DOH their clean max and the weight they're cleaning isn't remotely close to the weight they can deadlift. A lot of them will use straps as well for certain movements.

Bodybuilders use straps before they use hook grip.

90% of powerlifters use mixed grip, because it's just as effective if not more so than hook grip and doesn't crush your thumbs.

nah, you're wrong

or wait, after reading it a second time you're right

almost thought you were saying oly lifters couldn't deadlift more than they can clean

>deadlifted two weeks ago without proper warm up or belt
>pain in lower back and lower abdomen now, plus small bump on left testicle

Could it be strain from lifting too much? A cyst? How fucked am I, bros?

but still, I highly doubt they couldn't DOH their clean max

Some might be able to, but it's not something worth risking in competition.

>double overhand
>beltless
Never heard a strong person argue for this

yeah, that's more like it. They rather make grip a total non-issue at any weight by only doing hook grip