What does Veeky Forums think of military training regimens? Most I've seen seem to focus on bodyweight/HIIT routines

What does Veeky Forums think of military training regimens? Most I've seen seem to focus on bodyweight/HIIT routines.

As someone who was actually in the infantry, you'd be surprised how many fat fucks / dyels are in combat jobs. That's done kind of intentionally. The kind of combat your fighting doesn't require you to be a well cut up guy who can do a shitload of bicep curls. In fact, they want the opposite. They want someone who can strap something to their back and go for 24 miles while eating shit quality food.

>Protip:
Find the physique you want and pursue a workout that's designed for it.

>Find the physique you want and pursue a workout that's designed for it.

That's probably the best advice I've got on here in 6 years.

its designed that way that youdont need any equipment.
do you get a pro tier bodybuilder physice out of it? no but you can walk for days with a fucktone on your back and do your sprint to cover.
you are fit but dont actually have to look good

But this board is called Fitness not Fitness and Aesthetics.

It's called Fitness yet the only thing on this board is bodybuilding and a small minority of powerlifters or other niche lifting activities. This isn't fitness, it's literally just lifting.

They're designed to force a group of people to do something exercise-ish. They have to cater for everyone though so it'll always be too hard for some and not worth it for others. Generally all participants fall into those two categories. You should avoid them, there are much better ways to spend your time.

Seconded, and I'm probably older school than this guy:
> "body armor" to me means a helmet, not an IBA
> a rifle is plastic handguards and iron sights, not ACOG and rails
> going places meant ruck marching, lately even 10th Mountain has trucks

the PT is ever so slightly geared more towards bulking the troops up for packing around the heavier weapons and kit, since everyone has vehicles

note the differences are, again, very slight. training back then was walking very, very far with extremely heavy packs in the woods but at least we didn't have to wear vests. training now is still very much in the woods, but often running through them, assaulting a simulated city, and running back into them. because of running, the distances are shorter, and the packs lighter: but make no mistake, running in that shit sucks

tl;dr: for this board's goals, fuck training to be a military skelly. army standards of 2 minutes pushups, 2 minutes situps, 2 miles run in 16 minutes are shit. marines are a little less terrible

>Going places meant ruck marching
I don't know what kind of fucking Army you still look at but I've literally never had trucks anywhere unless we were short for time and going 12+ miles out

Not nearly as amazing as you think. A ton of fat people on profile try and tell you that doing crazy amounts of stupid shit will make you fit. After you run 5+ miles 4 days in a row because it's what they did back in their day, you realize your fucked.

People who are fit in the military are the ones who are fit out of the military.

This
The military's fitness is literally volume of stupid shit because everybody's too lazy/stupid/busy to figure out actual exercise routines, and the fit ones would be fit of their own merit either way

>be tanker
>don't even know why they issued me a ruck

> tfw grunt and haven't ever been in a wheeled vehicle in the field
It must be nice

I've been out a long ass time and try to not go on post if at all possible, so maybe I should listen to friends on active duty less and watch TV less

just looks like even 82nd Airborne ... 10th Mountain, whoever, you know, dudes who traditionally walk fucking everywhere, even they have HMMWV or whatever

I'm in the 101st right now so I can't speak for them, but my Battalion at least still makes us walk everywhere
My buddies in the 82nd say the same, don't know anyone in 10th Mountain. I guess considering how much they ruck it wouldn't be stupid to let them sit in an LMTV to go to a range once in awhile.

hating walking is like the force in binding together anyone who has ever been in any military force

How long do they make you guys walk for?

A 12 mile ruck in full kit (IOTV/LBA, ACH, FLC, rifle, rucksack with a bunch of shit in it, whatever else you're carrying (could be a litter, radio, a bunch of shit)) is pretty standard across the Army, or at least the Infantry. My company likes 16 milers instead of 12 because lol why not, it kills your joints though in the long run. I remember being 19 and waking up feeling like I was 40, now that I'm 23 I feel like I'm 60

It makes me sad to see so many of my marines sport the fucking dad bod. At the same time it's kinda nice being the doc that can smoke them at their own PFT...

To answer your question, the military ironically is SHIT for fitness. It's centered around fatigue for the sake of fatigue. They train you to walk around with shit on your back eating shit food.

The pt they do in my opinion is pants on head retarded. It doesn't help my marines and the stupid fucking NCOs are always wondering why the broke dick fucking dudes are coming into sick call because they fucked up their back and/or knees doing the dumb bullshit they do.

Train for the body and level of fitness you want. Don't expect good gains following a military bodyweight/cardio oriented routine.

old fuck again: that's EIB standard (I think? lol brain problems) but for random field problems you wouldn't be surprised to walk more.

by the same token, I'm fairly certain the shit that was coming online as I was getting out: moving "short" distances at a nearly full on run with a "light" assault pack was ~4 miles or so, from wherever we were moving out from ... I'm assuming the cubs here were doing it from vehicles. We normally did so from wherever the fuck we woke up in the woods.

>because the Army has always been ready to fight the last war

but yeah, your body shits out from long foot movements carrying heavy shit. back in the day the lighter guys could reasonably expect -- rarely -- to carry their body mass in all the shit that needs to be moved from point A to point B. I was 145 pounds with a SAW, so, wom wom wom

Yeah. I'm my platoon's Javelin guy, so in the field I carry her on top of my regular kit, don't know what it comes out to but fuck do I not like carrying it

Feels good being in a Stryker recon platoon

worked for a dude who'd been a Dragon gunner, instinctively think "but can you jump it?" every time I hear any man portable AT system named

(I didn't mean I weighed my shit, I meant I consistently have weighed 140 something since I was 15)

Anybody in here got a routine for PST or BUD/S prep?
Inb4 just do push ups, swim, and run

not being sarcastic: google has the BUDS one that's been floating forever

RTB circulates a pretty good Ranger buildup ... uh, there's the "Get Selected" book, and USAJFKSWCS has a short SFAS workout too

Yup. Such is life on Veeky Forums

>People who are fit in the military are the ones who are fit out of the military.
Truth right there. Some of the fittest people I've met were combat support/combat service support. Some of the most out of shape were also in combat support/combat service support, too. Combat arms had a kind of average, some really in shape dudes but no one really out of shape, either (some tankers and training room guys being the exception). Mainly attributable to being constantly active I think, but they also have some of the biggest after-service crashes once they're not forced to do PT anymore.