Natural gains passed 242lb

Hi /fit

I've been training natty for probably 5 years now. I've gone from 169 pounds (77 kgs) to 242 pounts (110 kgs). I am 186cm tall. But I have stagnated at this body weight. I have been pushing the same weights for months now, 242 max bench, 308 squat, 308 dl (all max). I don't do much (any cardio), I feel too heavy to run. I am carrying some fat, but not too much. I know I can get stronger and bigger, but I've been stuck at this body weight. I am vehemently against steroids, for my own reasons. What should I start doing to increase muscle mass and strength? Get a personal trainer? Genuine positive advice would be welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

liamrosen.com/fitness.html
symmetricstrength.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Genuine positive advice would be welcome

i loled

those are some weak lifts for your weight and years of training.
are you sure your technique is on point? have you tried intermediate powerlifting programs? how old are you?

Post pics and let's see

Well, maybe. But I've been training with no pre-workouts and no protein shakes at all.
Pretty sure my technique is on point.
I havent tried intermediate powerlifting programs, no. I'm now 33.

Read the sticky

liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Server not found.

>I havent tried intermediate powerlifting programs, no.

ok then do that. You might even want to start with novice programs like Stronglifts.

I tried stronglifts 5 x 5 but it was too easy, gave up on it, because the starting weight was laughable. I'm used to pushing as hard as I can probably 6 times a week. Is 6 times a week too much?

reading the other sticky links though

>pre-workouts and no protein shakes at all

Why would they help you in the first place anyway? They are not some magical potion.

>feeling fat as fuck at 93kg with a 285squat/345dl after 8 months of training
this makes me feel better about myself, thanks OP
and yeah, if you're stalling at 5 years with those stats your programming has been fucking retarded; go on a cut for 6 months and hop onto a 5/3/1 afterwards

Well why are you so weak then?

are you an idiot? just increase the weight.

48 yo, training 1 year

1/2/3/4

3 x 5 OP, DL, SQ, BP
2 x 10 accesories

Rinse and repeat and re-examine your diet.

It probably has been. What programming? Whats 5/3/1?

That's why I am asking these questions.

>What programming?
exactly.

How the fuck does someone train for 5 years and does not know hat programming is? no wonder you have such shit stats
Programming = how your training programm is planned and structured

the only thing I understood from that was that you are 48 yrs old.

1/2/3/4?
Over headpress, deadlift, squat, bench.

What 2 x 10 accessories?

Can you speak plain English please?

Wow mister personal trainer watch out boys

Yeah, I don't plan or structure anything. I do what I feel like.
Mondays, chest, tuesdays back, wednesday rest, thursday arms, fridays legs. Depends.

>You might even want to start with novice programs like Stronglifts.
Jesus fucking Christ this board sometimes

Op leave this place. These people have nothing to offer you

If they don't help you in any way, why do people take them?

>5 years of training
>body weight bench

And sometimes I feel bad about my progress.

Try a program. Download the 531 boring but big app

Why are you "vehemently against steroids"?

When someone says something like that with the qualifier "for my own reasons" it's normally a sign they know their reasons are bullshit but don't want to admit it.

Are you lifting for strength, or to look good?

well then start with that if you want to get stronger

I'm starting to notice that. I'm disappointed in Veeky Forums.

All i ever see here is steroid boys talking gibberish.

put his stats on symmetricstrength.com

you have a 300lb deadlift while weighting 240 pounds. You're a fucking novice.

Using steroids is an indication of:
Lack of motivation and discipline.
Cheating.
Moral weakness.
Poor life decisions and poor decision making ability - I'll then judge everything else you do as well.
General genetic weakness - if you can't make the gains naturally, you've resorted to cheating.

I could go on and on and on. Steroids really are pathetic on every level.

Says the guy with a 300lbs deadlift at 242 after 5 years. How does this not show lack of motivation and discpline, general weakness and real shitty decision making abiliities?

Underage
and shitty stats

Steroids are an indication of the following:

Moral weakness.
Cheating.
Poor decision making ability.
Lack of motivation
Lack of discipline.
Genetic inferiority - you're taking steroids because you can't lift that heavy without them.

Steroids all round are for losers with feeble minds and even more feeble bodies that will probably pack up by the age of 40.

Id rather be weaker, and natural, that stronger and fake.

Honestly, I pity steroid junkies in the gym.

you were in the ss?

Because they're SUPPLEMENTS. Protein shakes, for example, is an easy, cheap and efficient way of meeting your protein macros at a low protein per calorie ratio. You seem genuinely uninformed about nutrition, you might want to sit down and read about it (seriously, the sticky covers pretty much all you need to know) and then watch your lifts continue progressing.

>bigger
110 kg at 186 cm is huge m80

Nah, I can't take supplements anyways. Long story, but only natural foods will work for me.

I didn't tell you to take supplements. I told you to learn about nutrition. Supplements are just that, supplements. They're not NECESSARY and they do not give you any advantage when lifting weights whatsoever.
Seriously dude, learn about nutrition. This is why your lifts are shit, I promise you.

your problem isn't lack of supplements or steroids, your programming is bad/non-existent.
just do SL and actually try it this time.

he's probably quite fat given his lifts

what's SL?

Agreed, my programming is zero. Absolutely zero. I just don't know which program to start.
Over the years I have read about many programs, but none that actually resonate.

This tbqhwy

According to symmetricstrength.com/ all my lifts except deadlift are above average.

My nutritional knowledge is fine, it's more a matter of buying the right stuff, and having the time to prepare the right stuff.

probably 8 - 10 % body fat. I'm guessing though

your squat and BP are "above average" compared to people of your strength level. Which if you pay attention, is novice.

Yeah and I'm sure they pity you too with your pathetic stats. There's nothing wrong with steroids if you know what you're doing. And in older men (40+) there's no reason not to use testosterone. It can only improve your life.

Correct English version for people with low IQ's, just for you..

One year's training, with correct diet, rest, natty.

48 years old

Overhead press 60kg, bench press 100kg, Squat 140kg, deadlift 180kg

2 x 10 accessories, so weighted chins, weighted dips, cable flys, facepulls, curls, maybe extra tricep work

2 x cardio sessions a week.

Is that better?

This, i feel like most people take this info in right off the bat when starting working out, absolutely baffling to think that someone with 5 years into this would be so badly informed.

Dude I lift the same stats as you for 1rm, maybe more and that's not even impressive.
I am 178 cm and 77 kg.
I am 10 years younger, sure, but if you have been lifting for 5 years you need to get yourself on a strength program my friend.

what does 1rm mean?

Which strength program?

>you have a 300lb deadlift while weighting 240 pounds. You're a fucking novice.
He's right, I've been lifting for 3 weeks at the same body weight as you and I can deadlift 315, what have you been doing for five years?

1rm = 1 ready meal

His lifts are shit for his weight, but he's been lifting for 5 years so I expect him to have a decent amount of muscle but even still if we go off the formula height - 100 = natural limit while lean I can't seem to imagine him not being fat at that weight

no, intermediate to proficient.

thanks. what did the 1/2/3/4 thing mean,

and what does 5/3/1 mean?

Kek
Seriously though, do something like 642444 or 533133 for compounds.
You will do strength and a lot of volume.

What's your current workout like?

Are you trying to tell me that you have 29 FFMI after training for five years with virtually no knowledge of training?
Post pics pls

wtf is 29FFMI?

How do you expect me to answer you if you use obtuse jargon?

642444 that's sets of 10 reps?
533133 same?

No, thats the number of reps.
Let me walk you through it, let's say bench.

Warm up:
Bar x 10
50x5
65x3
75x1

And then you start.
First set : 80kg, 6 reps
Second set: 90kg, 4 reps
Third set: 100kg, 2 reps.

Then you deload.

Fourth set: 85kg, 4 reps
Fifth set: 85kg, 4 reps
Sixth set: 85kg, 4 reps

Make sure you hit those four reps (12 in total) at the end. If the weight is too heavy, lower it. If it's too light, increase.

2-2.30 min break between sets.

How have you been training for 5 years, weigh 242 lbs and don't even total 100lbs?

Thanks, that's really what I need, straight forward explanation.

My normal type workouts are like this:

Bench.

80kg x 10
100kg x 10
110 x 10

Then incline barbell bench.

30kg x 10
35kg x 10
40kg x 10

then machine flys,

80% max,
90% max,
100% of machine plates.

With squating:

80kg x 10 start
100kg x 10
120kg x 10
140 x 10 (normally not 10).

Deadlifting:

80kg x 10.
100kg x 10
120kx x 10

Leg press

280kg x 10
320kg x 10
360-380kg x 10.

calf raises:
80kg x 10
90kg x 10
110kg x 10

As an example of how I approach my lifts.

Workouts are normally 1 hour, or until i am fatigued or nauseous.

oh you're doing 110kg bench for 10 reps? That's pretty good then. I thought you were saying that was the most you could do for one rep.

I meant incline dumbbell bench
i.e. 40kg dumbbells

Fat free mass index, 29 is basically impossible to achieve without steroid use

I only ever say what my max weight is for 10 reps.

No problem buddy.

10 reps on 110 is actually very good.
Everyone in this thread assumed you were only doing one rep at that weight. Same thing goes for the other compounds.

Your one rep max bench will probably be around 140 if not more.

If you hit plateau the best thing to do is a strength program like I suggested. Train bench, squat and deadlifts at least twice a week.

For strength you can keep the accessories exercises (such as machine flys) at 4x8 with 1.20min rest. 1 or 2 accessories ex. per day (choose which ones you like, triceps, biceps ecc).

Well there's no way we could've possibly known that. Usually when people refer to their max they're talking about their 1rm or one rep max.

>Bench 110kg x 10
>Incline bench 40kg x 10

Nevermind, didn't see post that it was dumbbells

Thanks for the advice, do you reckon I should still approach, for example benching, like you recommended above?

I'm from SA, (which means nothing I suppose).

I've never used 1rm as an indication of anything, I rather consider what you can lift for 10 reps a proper indication of strength.

Yes, I believe you could do that yes.
Its a good balance between strength and bodybuilding. Your resting periods are not high so you are not taking those long breaks like powerlifters, you are concentrating more on aesthetics (and strength).

Goes without saying that your weights will obviously we higher.
So first set maybe 120kg, second set 130kg, etc.

Every once in a while (maybe the first monday of the month) you can try and hit a PR.
You could do 6411444 for that day. Instead of doing the middle set of 2 reps you do 2 different sets, one to warm up for your max (maybe 140kg) and then the actual max (maybe 150kg) and then you deload.

This type of training helped me put on 20kg on my bench and 5kg of body weight.

for 10 reps, after having done 2 sets previously

those max weights I mentioned for 10 reps, after having done 2 sets previously

those max weights for 10 reps, after having done 2 sets previously, is what I meant. Wasn't talking 1rm

Okay, thanks. I train alone, so need to be careful with those 130-140kg benches, I've been caught under a bar before!

All the best brother. Keep the good work up.
Not everyone keeps lifting after their 20s, good on you.

Before you cruise, can you recommend a good program to get onto?

>all my lifts are above average
All of your lifts are also achievable in two years max. I've been lifting since February and my deadlift is 245. You're doing something wrong if you're at 308 after five years.

eat more
diet is what holds 90% of nattys back

>242 lbs.
>308 1RM squat/deadlift
>5 years training

they're his 10RMs lad

Sorry I missed that, how many reps?

Bro, those lifts are awful for your weight. I weigh 165 and surpass you in everything. Post shirtless pic because I'd love to give you advice after seeing your physique or at least knowing a bf%.

Did we just create a new meme?

I think you did, well done. Achievement unlocked.

I'm not taking a semi-naked picture of myself and posting on Veeky Forums, thanks but no.