Which is better for an early intermediate lifter? 5/3/1, or Texas Method?

Which is better for an early intermediate lifter? 5/3/1, or Texas Method?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!60YEyQBa!3U4WPZcy3GOAL7H78UfSF253ZSuP-EFduSdD83XfnIY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

icf 5x5

Texas
123 is meant for competent powerlifters.
Just do it. For a year with 2 or 3 peaking cycles and some mock
meets at the end

If you want just strength then Texas Method (5/3/1 uses slower progression for more advanced lifters).

If you want to look good and be strong then do some upper-lower/push-pull with strength and hypertrophy days.

i would say go 5/3/1 BBB. You wont progress as fast as TM but you will get a lot more volume and breaking PRs everyday is fun.
but i would switch the 5x10 to uneven days like OHP&bench and squats&dead-lifts instead of OHP&OHP and squats&squats. since its good to hit the same muscle group twice a week.

Texas Method --> Candito --> 1/2/3/4pl8 --> 5/3/1 3 month challenge

5/3/1 is pretty bad because most people run the barebones BBB, which is pretty bad. TM will get you stronger much faster.

>If you want to look good and be strong then do some upper-lower/push-pull with strength and hypertrophy days.
Or you could just do Tex Method with accessories.

TM or Madcow. Personally running Madcow. Liking it so far.

Early intermediate: Texas method. If powerlifting, don't alternate bench and OHP, and do rack pulls or SLDL instead of power cleans. Maybe incline CGBP instead of OHP
Late intermediate: 5/3/1 with jokers and 3x5 SSL or 5x5 FSL. If powerlifting, 5/3/1 full body full boring.
Advanced: I haven't reached there yet and I cannot speak from personal experience, but I've read that 5/3/1 BBB works because of the volume.

Texas Method, without question, without equal

> Pretty bad

Explain yourself you infidel

When am I ready for the Texas Method? I live in San Antonio btw.

5/3/1 is literally compounds + accessories 4 times per week and HIIT 3 times per week.

People being illiterate morons doesn't make the book bad.

>upper-lower/push-pull with strength and hypertrophy days.

5/3/1 is an upper lower with strength and hypertrophy work

When you can no longer progress every workout

> People being illiterate morons doesn't make the book bad.

Weird. I do 5/3/1 and I only lift two days per week.

No, it isn't. Well, it can be, but, no that isn't its sole set up.

OP here, I think from what I've read I'll [spoiler]do a brosplit of all isolations and never inscrease the weight[/spoiler] do Texas Method until I've stalled for a while and then switch to 5/3/1. I'm also thinking about running Smolov at some point. Can anyone provide any input on that? My main question is, what are you supposed to do with your upper body during the time? The only version of Smolov I've seen only includes your squats. Are you supposed to work your presses in normally?

5/3/1 is great for people who want consistent progress but also don't want to have gym sessions dominate their life.

TM will get you faster gains, but it's much more of a commitment, especially when the weights get heavy.

Whatever you end up doing, QUIT PROGRAM JUMPING

That's OK if you don't want to get stronger.
>For most people who train two or three days per week, the focus is on the training and the workout – and not on getting stronger.
Page 62.

the two day variation seems weird to me, how do you have yours set up?

I guarantee you that I am far stronger than you and have been lifting far longer than you.

I'm not. I've been doing SS for six months. I'm going to run TM for probably at least 4-6 (I'm not sure how long it will take for me to stall here, might take longer), and 5/3/1 for another while.

No it's not. Not at all. You can make it that way by modifying it but that's not its purpose whatsoever. It's a true powerlifting routine and always has been.

I do 3/5/1 (5/3/1 for Powerlifting) and do squat and bench on Monday and deadlift and press on Thursday.
I only do heavy singles on 5/3/1 day after the PR set.

and I DO deload every 4th week, but I'm an old fag.

the heavy singles are joker set style?

I like 531. In my fourth cycle and have gotten a lot of gains eating at maintenance.

If you don't mind getting fat, you might want a faster program, I get a lot of prowler push and basketball in with 531

Yes. Jim recommends doing no more than .95 times your real / estimated max, but for simplicity I use 1.05 x my TM for my final single... and every now and then I'll try a new single (works out to be nearly the same).

I've competed in the past, but the sport itself is bullshit, so now I just lift for me.

Wow, I fucked that up.

What I meant was, every now and then I will try a new max.

Depending on your strength level, smolov permits for a limited amount of upper body work. If you start smolov with a 4pl8 squat, you likely won't have any spare energy to increase your bench or ohp. I'd advise to do some maintenance bench sets (4*1@90%) during the week and call it a day after squats being done.

>I just lift for me.

mega.nz/#!60YEyQBa!3U4WPZcy3GOAL7H78UfSF253ZSuP-EFduSdD83XfnIY
is this calc good for TM?

Yawn. Some day maybe you'll reach puberty.

Nigga I ain't opening that shit

it's normal xls shit...

It is very much an upper lower with focus on power and hypertrophy. The most popular templates are BBB and triumvirate, what would you describe them as?
100% incorrect
Wendler created 531 when he quit powerlifting.
Powerlifting routines don't give OHP nearly as much focus as 531 does
Powerlifting routines have you do most of your work near 80% of your true 1rm. 531 has you do about 10% of your total volume above that.
>Smolov
Do it only if you want to increase your squat a lot while keeping everything else on the backburner. Lifting (squatting) will have to become your 1st priority, which means no fucking up your sleep schedule to stay up late with gf and shit like that.
I'd do TM as long as you can make weekly gains, cut and try to maintain strength, bulk and try to do weekly increases, continue this cycle as long as the bulking phase allows you to gain strength weekly, when that fails switch to 531 and do monthly gains

That's what 90% of the 5/3/1 templates are sooo

It's a strength routine but it's far from a powerlifting routine. At its core it's one main lift done fairly heavy with some moderate-light assistance/bodybuilding.

>Yawn. Some day maybe you'll reach puberty.

Texas Method if you want to work olympic lifts or Madcow if you want to train for power + non-meme accessories + HIIT

Texas if you want to get stronger.

Ive. sat on Texas method from repping 315 to repping 405 so far without deloads.

I tried 531 for 2 months. Zero gains. Even gayer than a brosplit.

>and have been lifting far longer than you.
This is possible, I only started lifting 5 years ago, when I was 26.
>I guarantee you that I am far stronger than you
You must be fucking elite then, because I've reached 2/3/4/5pl8 for 1RM last December, and hit 1/2/3/4 12RMs last month.