Fasting vs. Calorie Restriction

youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

what're your thoughts on this, /fitizens?

Did Kinobody actually have a point this whole time? Is fasting (or intermittent fasting) really better for gains when you're cutting? And has anyone here compared the two themselves?

I'm thinking about switching to IF to see if it's any better for strength maintenance while cutting.

Wow, I just saw this video too, it seemingly enhanced the position of fasting as an effective measure for fat loss. I think though the author of the youtube video promotes evidence for fasting for greater than 3 days, and that after that time you loose the feeling of hunger. Then after about 7 days you begin to get hungry again and should resume eating at that stage.

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. In those first 3 days where the feeling of hunger are at its peak, is it bearable? can you workout? or do you feel to tired? do you feel foggy in the head?

Great video

been intermittent fasting for about 4 months, went from 215 to 155 at 5'9, as long as you dont mind feeling hungry it works great. I started off doing the normal 16:8 but over time ive felt better doing 21:3, it fits my schedule better.

So you fast for 21 hours and eat for 3 hours? How many calories do you eat? And do you do it everyday?

do you check muscle mass? I have been on about 3-400 cal/ day for about a month and these are the stats. might try no solids for a while and see how that goes, i find it pretty easy to avoid hunger by just drinking something

*stats

If I want to fast for a longer time (over 10 days), is just a multivitamin enough to keep me going,also can I still go to the gym while fasting?

I would very much also like to know the answer to this.

I am thinking of doing a fast for about 7 days, drinking only water, coffee and maybe a multivitamin.

Obligatory orb posting

>In those first 3 days where the feeling of hunger are at its peak, is it bearable? can you workout? or do you feel to tired? do you feel foggy in the head?

I have tried it once for a really brief period of time. And it was around my first 6 months of lifting, so I didn't have much awareness of these things and never paid attention to the differences it made. It was just an easier way to cut to me. I can't exactly remember how my workouts were, but I don't recall being foggy in the head.

However, I'd say it was pretty bearable in the first 3 days. Maybe a bit of a shock, but if you keep to the 16:8 like did, then it shouldn't be too bad. At the time, I didn't follow 16:8 or 21:3, I just stared eating whenever dinner was ready at home, and after a while, I just got used to it.

How do you record those metrics.

Do you actually expect anyone to believe you lost 7-8kgs of body weight and your muscle mass went up 2kgs in whatever short time frame that is?

I think he is using the CNN buzzfeed app

I did a full 72 hour fast and it's not even that hard.
I had no issues on day three but I was looking out to eat.

I do 18h to 20h daily fasts for almost a year now.
I'm not even in this to lose weight I just do it cause I think it's better than the 3 meals a day as soon as you wake up jew

Have you been lifting as well? If so, what's your experience level? And what've your lifts been like these past 4 months?

Whats the best guide to fasting?

How big is the meal/s you have in that small window?
Would you eat like 3 chicken breasts and a whole bag of spinach in one sitting?

>I do 18h to 20h daily fasts for almost a year now.

So...intermittent fasting? And after the 18-20 hours you just eat? Also, 72 fucking hours. I would say that's crazy, but not after watching the video.

its about 40 days, your average set of bathroom scales will sync this stuff to an app.
during that time i have a shake in the morning, under 100 cal lunch, 1l water, and about 100g meat, 100g vegetable and another shake at night
also bike or run hard for 30mins after work
also white whisky, if you need gainz add whiskey, white preferred though, less sugar, more alcohol

I do the same. You don't eat for the entirety of the last 4-6 hrs of the day. You just have 2 meals. Like just have lunch and dinner every day. Lunch at 12. Dinner at 6-7. Pretty easy.

Honestly man, they're so inaccurate as to be pointless.

You'd be better off recording performance metrics (weight on bar, lap times etc) and bodyweight with a set of actual precision scales as opposed to a TurboQueer3000 autologger model.

The narrator makes the point that you'll go into ketosis 3 days into the fast, and can best preserve your muscle mass by also working out during and beyond that period.

Does anybody know if this applies to someone who's doing intermittent fasting?

dont be mean, these shits have a sensor in each corner and it won't take a measurement unless you put your weight right in the center
the other readings jump around a heap but thats probably just the difference in having sweaty feet when you stand on them
anyway yeah I started on the bike and that got too easy so I started running 5 days ago, it's getting easier every day so I'll have to go further or step up the pace
should start doing arm work or i'll look like an idiot

It's sad that y'all laugh at fatties with their fad diets and then go and gobble this diarrhea up. Can't wait until it goes full circle again and people are posting about eating 12 meals a day.

Well what that information says happened, didn't happen.

What does that say about the value of recording it in the first place?

dude you just mirin, im also wearing a bracelet that logs my heart rate and gps so I can see how my recovery times and run speeds are improving, data doesnt lie fammo

>data doesnt lie fammo

Authentic data doesn't. If you aren't questioning the ways in which the data is recorded when getting results like that, you're an idiot.

>projecting this hard.

I'm just a guy who's been on a cut for the past two months, trying to maintain my strength while losing fat/weight, saw a video on fasting, and am asking other people on this board about their thoughts on the content of the video and their experiences with fasting, if any.

tldr; fuck you

how many calories did you eat? Did you lift? Did your lifts get better?

or did u go for just weight loss?

it's repeatable, look at how smooth the weight line is, if it wasn't reliable with the recording i could stand on it twice and i'd get different readings, that doesnt happen

Don't shift the goal posts. I said:

>Do you actually expect anyone to believe you lost 7-8kgs of body weight and your muscle mass went up 2kgs in whatever short time frame that is?

What am I projecting?

Fasting threads are showing up all across Veeky Forums and they usually drop some retard's youtube channel or some retard's ebook.

you said i dont question the way it's recorded
i gave my reasons for trusting what it records, its the nokia scale btw not some cheap chinese shit
c'mon, it's like 1kg every 5days settle down

can both u fags just kys

what's wrong with the video, though?

Your reason for trusting it's accurately measuring skeletal muscle is that there is a downward progression on total bodyweight?

Didn't watch. What new information could some youtube bro give me about fasting which is as old as humans have existed.

fuck off im not going to explain how a fucking scale works to an angry little manlet who cant lose weight
kys

Literally the only accurate method of finding out LBM is an autopsy.

Every other method is subject to a whole host of problems and varying degrees of accuracy. You might be surprised to find the data you're recording is influenced by things you aren't aware of.

But by all means keep going on measuring data because it feels good and ignore that it's clearly not accurate.

>Im on steroids and here is my opinion on how you should work out...
Before you can enter a gym or buy weights you should be forced to take drug tests

about to attempt my first fast longer than 24 hours

>Literally the only accurate method of finding out LBM is an autopsy.

kek, thanks Veeky Forums

It's technically true. I stress the adverb.

It's flawed logic I agree
well there are different bodyscan methods. Underwaterweighing is the most accurate way to do it

Autopsy in theory would be the best but its not practical think about it. You would need to autopsy his whole body

IF is nothing else than a calorie restricted diet.

The actual shit meme this board is trying to push is water fasting aka eating nothing aka full retard.

>IF is nothing else than a calorie restricted diet.

imo the major benefit of IF is that cramming your entire days worth of calories into a 4 hour span keeps you full for much longer, therefore you are much less likely to overreat

i agree that calling 16 hours without eat a ''fast'' is pretty stupid, you wouldnt see any metabolic of physiological changes from that

so wait, if i ever want to get into ketosis, i have to work out or else i'll lose muscle?

All depends on you, honestly. First time I ever fasted was fucking awful and I couldn't get food out of my head, but now I can pull a 36-hour fast 1-2 times a week because it eventually gets easier. Some people just jump straight into it with no issues, though.

I find it easier to do cardio, specifically aerobic, but harder to lift.

the point of IF is to stay in a fasted state for the majority of the day. If you would just spread out those meals you would feel low energy and more hungry

Thats the benefit of being in a fasted state

Wow what a lovely, fluid, and unscripted discourse you got going on in a Veeky Forums thread. Keep it up guys. Let me know if you reach any new conclusions about the wonders of fasting.

It's starting to make sense to me. We started as hunters, binge eating every time a mammoth or some shit got killed. Then we'd go hours, days, sometimes even weeks at a time before eating again.

Our bodies are designed to go without eating and potentially even benefit from it after thousands of years of evolution. I'm starting to think fasting is not a meme at all

don't eat retard

>be 230 lbs
>calves are fucking massive
>slim down to 180
>calves are almost nonexistent

Was that just fat or did I lose muscle?

There has to be more to it then that, I have to drink a lot of water right? how much?

Who?

yes or no?

Who is that in pic related?

is it so hard to make a reverse image search?

A what?

please kill yourself.

Stop eating.

Kinobody