/PLG/ - Powerlifting General

Welcome to /PLG/ - Powerlifting General. Primarily for discussion related to powerlifting.

Lots of good stuff over at powerliftinggeneral.com. Programming, diets, everything.

>Deadlift setup edition

Post PR's, routines, form checks, meet results, schmexy lifts, etc. No Dubs or gets allowed.

Remember, no-one cares about your opinion on what upper body press is best and IPF approved techniques.

Enjoy your stay!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
youtube.com/watch?v=MMkhgbJjRmk&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=hi9M6V83j9U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>failed a 2.5kg competition bench PR
>2 days pass
>just CGBPd my all time competition max
>OHPd my all time belted OHP without a belt

Why is my chest so weak. 90% of my bench session are wide grip...

sophie (my gf)

Hey faceguy you gonna make those webms then or what?

Won't be for a while tbH. Workload just increased a shitload because I noticed an error in the data and I have to do most of the data analysis anew, so I can't really be bothered making webms. Sorry.

Oh don't apologise, I don't care about worlds webms much, I was only asking because I had mentioned before I'm willing to make them if there are requests (and if quality expectations aren't high).

dumb question, each "week" in pic related is done in 1 gym day/gym session, right?

so it's once a week for 10 weeks?

How true is pic related

I made one, not about lifting though

Get on that pec deck.

I would say that the only real recommendation is to try sumo if you have short arms. You could say isley tier build is good for conventional, but who is to say those lifters wouldn't pull more à la Wierzbicki?

My heart skipped a beat when I caught that on the stream.

>tfw no gf to cuddle with while watching IPF worlds

Think so, yeah.
I think I have average arms and my torso is short, and sumo feel infinitely better than conventional. Don't take guides like that as set in stone, and experiment to find what works best for you.

Yeah, they were filmed two or three times like that and all times they were cuddling, just like this. Hit my feels damn hard. Savickas is in the foreground too.

>3rd cycle of c6w
>squat PR only went up 15 lbs

What's a pec deck?

>le wide grip uses more chest meme
it doesnt use more chest it uses less arms by cutting the top portion of ROM

So... Its more chest dominant... Right...

>got sick for my last training mesocycle before meetprep cycle probably wasting my last true heavy week

eh, it just uses less muscles altogether because of the decreased ROM

only relatively, you use less muscles that way so it makes sense that you dont benefit from cutting the ROM probally due the proportions of your arm(humerus/forearm)

I'm on a cut and want to maintain my squat strength. Does this look good? I figure I can auto regulate each cycle by using the RPE of the 1xF at the end if each cycle.

Well I'm so confuse. Why is my bench with more ROM as strong as my short ROM bench?

My only guess is scapula retraction is better with close grip?

Really? Why do people like isley and JP caauchi say you're so much stronger with a wide grip?

>listening to isley
if you look at all the top bencher you will see a variety of widegrip and relatively small grip

Why? Because of individual mechanics. Using a wider grip will use less muscles, but you have also shorter ROM. For some the difference is positive for others is not

you should probally stick to cgbp. The fact that you broke your comp max with it shows it

Wierzbicki has super long legs and an incredibly short torso, he would look like a dinosaur if he pulled conventional.

Awful. Way too much volume.

Do Bulgarian Tbh

I afraid to squat more than 2 days a week.

Then I feel sorry for you son

Alright, I have got a very short bench stroke anyhow. I have about a 5'9 wingpsan at 6'0.

I will keep doing both CGBP and wide, cause I always plateau when I stick to just one, but focus on close grip I guess.

...a dinosaur with really long arms then

Wierzbicki, Ben Rice, Bryce Krawczyk are all examples of why (in my opinion at least) sumo is better for everywhere. Those three all have the 'supposed' ideal conventional build (long arms, long legs, short torso) yet all of them pull much more sumo

>Those three all have the 'supposed' ideal conventional build (long arms, long legs, short torso)
I'm not sure if this is actually that accurate, as it would necessitate folding over to set hips and load hamstrings.

Took a picture of my ass and it looks like I have implants...

No, bending over too much is caused by short arms, long torso and short legs.

No, that's where the long arms come in.
The reason why short armed lifters geberally pull sumo is the reason you just described. To load the posterior chain, one would have to bend over too much. But longer arms prevent this.

>t long legs, short torso, short arms

Trying to fix some deadlift issues, specifically hitching, feel like it's a lower back/core thing...should i do good mornings or rack pulls to help strengthen this area?

Ben Rice's sumo is incredibly narrow though. His feet are as wide as a strongman's conventional.

Looking at strongmen, they seem to be mostly 50/50 legs/torso, which I guess constitutes having a long torso with long arms.

Yeah most important seems to be long arms. Most stronkmen are quite good deadlifters too.

Maybe it just really comes down to personal preference and hip structure all in all.

Juggermaut fag here. Why are accumulation sets so easy?

i'm going to be running this for my DL alongside c6w for squats, how should i program my lower body days?

since c6w usually has squats 2x a week, should i split up the deadlift program on here so i'd do the 80% 3x3 DL on the first day of the c6w squats and then the 85% 3x3 block pulls on the 2nd day or should i do all the DL work in one day, PLUS the squats from c6w, and then have the 2nd squat day just for squats and maybe some light DL accessory work?

How much will equipment help? Currently 495 squat, 485 diddy 285 bench and thinking of getting equipment but a big part of me feels like it's a waste

What do you mean by equiptment? A belt? Knee wraps? Single ply suit? Multi ply? Be specific

Nothing if you don't know how to use it.

A single ply could get you a 550lbs squat and if you work on the technique you'd have a 600lbs squat. This is being modest as some suits claim adding 200lbs, but this is very much contingent on technique.

>suits claiming to add 200 lbs

how can people even claim that's THEIR strength if so much of the lift comes from the equipment?

Are you serious? Wow maybe I should get a suit.
Anything, Mostly belts and wraps is what I had in mind but a suit too based on what this guy is saying

Because you can't just throw it on and instantly get a boost in the weight you're moving. You have to learn how to use it.

Belts are worth it, knee wraps only if you plan on doing equipped or competing in lolfeds (or just fucking around with them I guess), wrist wraps if you want, knee sleeves are also a personal preference thing, and then squat suits, bench shirts, and deadlift suits require a lot of practice to get even moderately ok with.

enjoy your fake lifts, lol

just sounds like way too much assistance. IMO only straps should be allowed just because grip strength doesnt usually progress as fast as compound strength

shes unironically a slag mate. she goes to a club where I live sometimes. sucks off lads in the toilets

Most lifters only have like 3 pieces of equipment unless they like doing equipped. I only have a belt and wrist wraps, which I barely use unless my wrists are killing me (and squat shoes, if those count). Wrist wraps help to cast your wrists to make pressing easier/take some stress off of them, belts help to increase the intrabdominal pressure you create, allowing for you to brace better, and knee sleeves are for some light compression which basically just add comfort. Each piece of equipment has its own use and arbitrarily justifying only one is retarded. I can literally justify most pieces of equipment using the exact same logic you used for straps.

Any one have some experience with Smolov? I want to boost my squat as much as possible over the winter.

It's because you actually have to dramatically change your technique and training to go equipped. Blaine Sumner has said that an elite raw lifter would have to train equipped for years to be an elite equipped lifter. The suits aren't magic. Similarly good equipped lifters are pretty shit raw. Look at Mark Bell. The dude has been training raw for years after a career of equipped and he's still not that amazing. He has a relatively bad squat and deadlift considering his weight and training experience, but the difference between raw and equipped is that great.

i don't think i'll ever be in that camp. I'm a hardliner on "if you can't do it in the nude then you can't do it" and im sure i'll be a real holdout on getting straps and shoes when i get to that point. Maybe it's just because i'm only an intermediate level lifter and don't have a lot of experience with "Serious" weightlifting/powerlifting

can i squat heavy three days in a row?`

yes but not for many reps or sets

depends, can you?

Why have I been able to repeatedly max bench recently.
This hasn't happened often before.

>Straps
Straps aren't necessary in the slightest unless your hands are regularly getting torn to shit

>Shoes
Personal preference anyway, some people use flats for everything, others (myself included) use heels for everything except deads

Straps allow you to lift more, which I believe is a good thing, at the expense of grip strength.
But, a chain is only as good as its weakest link.

They can, but they also can let you keep doing pulls when you tear callouses or injure a finger. I only stated when they'd be an absolute necessity, not the only condition to get them. If you want them then who am I to stop you?

What's your opinion on cum and coffee? Recent research suggests you get a 30% test boost from jacking off to hot chicks, and the cum in the coffee contributes to some sick muscle gains.
And coffee is just coffee, gives you great PWO energy.

Try it and let me know if its just broscience

Reminder

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw

>frowns upon cheating and rule bending

Remind me, why might oly lifting be withdrawn from the olympics again?

lets make one thing clear here every single athlete at the olympics is roiding or doping, the IOC is basically just telling the IWF to stop getting caught really, as the IOC knows everyone does it but they just want IWF to stop being caught

and consider the following

if at competition everyone is roiding is it really cheating?

>if at competition everyone is roiding is it really cheating?
As long as the rules forbid it: yes.

by the word of the rule of course its cheating

but is the spirit of the rule being broken?

the spirit of the rule is to ensure noone has an unfair advantage over someone else, if the conditions are equalized then does anyone have an advantage over another?

this, oly lifters are a bunch of roiding frauds. Powerlifters are drug free clean lifters

>Panzer thinks that oly lifters are more athletic than powerlifters
>Panzer also thinks that by associating himself with oly lifters on an internet forum he will himself become more athletic and less of a failure

You can't make this shit up

Wtf is athletic about putting things above your head?

Go for a jog lmao

panzer the ''sport'' of olylifting will get removed from the olympics becuz the're all roided to the gills

nobody in PL uses steroids because were not insecure like you guys. you guys need to roid to win

The people in the olympics are all cheaters, also by the spirit if the rule. Since only those with acces to performance enhancing drugs will make it there. The roids don't give them an advantage over each other, but over all the natty lifters who didn't make the olympics.

>nobody in PL uses steroids

all of your favorite powerlifting "athletes" are roiders

projection

Panzerâ„¢ success breeds jealousy

>tfw unending internal struggle between bulking to get stronger and cutting to get less fat

[temptation to SHW intensifies]

>WAWTT
>WAWET
>WAWLTT
>WAWFT

Does anyone else have a shoulder that sometimes inexplicably jumps out of position on the eccentric part of your bench?
I like to think I'm setting up tight but early in the descent my left shoulder suddenly flares out. I haven't been injured yet but I don't feel safe obviously.

One thing i just realized is that oly lifters don't really do high bar but neither a low bar is right around where John haack puts the bar in his back

You don't have to be fat to be strong.
Just do HIIT for 15 mins 2/week.

Training today was first day of third c6w cycle. Squat felt suprisingly good.
Nuckols bench tomorrow

>tfw doing clean high-pulls as an accessory
Easily one of my best ideas

I have (had) that in my left shoulder, too. Check your strengths in external rotation at various angles, especially related to bench. If that ends up being the issue, I might be able to dig up a couple of the PT exercises that worked best for me.

>You don't have to be fat to be strong.

True. I'm already kinda fat though (~21%). I cut down significantly recently, and I'm tired of cutting.

I'm trans-/owg/ and high pulls are the only pulls I do now Tbh

The glute pump it's giving me is crazy. I bet the carry over to my squat and deadlift is going to be crazy. Not to mention it's also working my upper back.
Why the fuck hasn't anyone recommended this and memed it more?

I was told to do it instead of trying to teach myself how to clean and snatch without a coach in /owg/. Guessing it's just a little too esoteric to be general knowledge?

My gym doesn't have an adjustable cable station so I'll try some band stuff for external rotation tomorrow.

is there any reason behind taking a week off?

week off(doing lighter stuff)

I would say: Eat a maintenance for a month now and then start cutting again until you're pretty lean (12-15%).
Your leverages and general athlethics will improve.
And if you're worried about your strength: losing bodyweight will increase your wilks, so you're getting better.

My deadlift is pretty good, but when pulling high intensity my back rounds a little bit. Not even close to cat back, just not perfectly flat anymore. And this always happens at the bottom.
Will pause deadlifts help with this?

Sorry for posting so frequently, but I have noticed a deterioration in form the last few weeks. Tried to bring it back together today and it felt nice, but how does it look? Am I hitting depth? What do you think about it?

youtube.com/watch?v=MMkhgbJjRmk&feature=youtu.be

Looks good lad, maybe a tad shallow on rep 2.

Do you guys happen to have a good tutorial or something to read on clean and snatch high pulls?

youtube.com/watch?v=hi9M6V83j9U

Great, thanks! Really appreciate it.

Alright, I'll try to make this stick then. I can easily get some more depth, but I'd have to widen the stance and that feels weaker

Don't do it then, depth is generally good.

Bands are best for it, yeah. Cables just don't feel right for me when I do prehab stuff.

I've been maintaining for about a month, so that's done, I guess. I'm living at home right now, so diet control (especially cutting) is a challenge.

Guess I'll just keep maintaining until I move out. It's tough not to bulk though.

>wilks

I don't give a flying fuck about wilks, to be honest. I only care about weight lifted (while not being a hamplanet).

I have the opposite problem. Everything is fine on the eccentric but my right shoulder tends to pull forward on longer sets of bench

Ok so I squat high bar and today I noticed something weird when squatting with slightly wider stance I'm stronger more upright, but I get pain in my lower back above my left glute, only there. Then with slightly more narrow stance I'm a bit weaker less upright but don't get any paint at all. Any idea what could be the cause I wanna squat with that wider stance because it feels more comfy ignoring that pain. And I will record myself next time, because today it happened for the first time so didn't manage to record it.

I feel so strong lads Jesus fuck