/running/

I run a 5k yesterday. I broke the 29 minute barrier for the first time in my life and run it in 28 minutes 48 seconds. It's been a long road since July, when my first attempt was 44 minutes. Realizing how bad I was back then, made me start running and lifting (which I have been doing ever since).

While running yesterday, during the last 200 meters I accelerated to around 15 km / h. During those last 30 seconds, I felt more alive than ever in my life. I was running without feeling my legs, I felt like flying. When I stopped, I measured my heart beat, it was exactly 175 bpm.

I went home to sleep, woke up feeling like I was born again.

I know this is like a blog post or something, so please subscribe etc, I just felt like sharing these feels of mine with my bros.

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good job user i am proud of you

Way2go there's no feeling better than after a hard run
What shoes do you run in?

Sprinting at the end of a tough race is one of the best feelings.
Grats on the progress too. We're all gonna make it

awesome user!! Keep up the great moves, im proud of you.

How about that gf then?

Yeah I know this feeling and it is great.

Now that you're sub 30 min, you should really start thinking about HIIT and I would reccommend 4x4 intervall training.

BTW there is science behind feeling better after running, and I think you generate more serotonin in your brain.

If you wanna feel even better, jump straight into a cold shower. Splash your head with cold water, it will increase your norenephrine :)

Any runners have any input on this program? I am looking to break 40min 10k, but I've never done any specific training before.

My 5k pr is 18:20, was pretty slow in cross country

what happens if I ignore shin splints?

yeah I know it could hurt more but I don't care about pain. Would it actually affect my performance?

>I broke my arm, what happens if I keep lifting
>yeah I know it could hurt more but I don't care about pain. Would it actually affect my performance?

but it's not a stress fracture. It doesn't hurt when I knock my bone with my fist in different places

The principle is the same though. You'll just worsen your condition until an eventual stress fracture or something along those lines happens.

cut down your endurance training, decrees distances to a comfortable level.
Have a day of rest between runs.
You can ignore the pain but it eventually leads to a serious injury and you'll in recovery much longer.

Having said that if splints happen after a very short distance, say 500m or 1k you can ignore them for short distance work. And you should probably loose weight, look in to softer shoes, run on a softer surface like grass.

Track training session tonight lads and just polished off a Maccies Big Tasty. Hoping those beef gains help me break sub 18 5k

This is correct. What shoes do you run in? I bought asics and absolutely loved them. Just keep running user you'll get better and enjoy it more. Itll also give you that Apolo belt line or Ken line or whatever it's called at your hips.

Switch up your routes as you can lose time by always using you the same one even with the "gains" you made. you simply get bored of it. I love me some 10k forest trail runs.

>I broke the 29 minute barrier
Fucking amateur

I run in asics too, just a basic pair, with a thick sole, I'm a big guy and I gotta take care of those knees. Different shoes work for different people, try and find someone with a similar problem and take their advice. I struggled with my IT band. After about 5k the sides of my knees wound hurt like a motherfucker if i stopped running. So I asked an old guy that ran the same track as me for advice.told me to adjust my running technique, kept my feet closer to the ground and bounce less. Worked like a charm.

I don't switch routes often, i live in a big city so places are either crowded as fuck or theres something inherent wrong, like a high chance of getting stabbed or catching lime danseuse. But i love going out of town to race

Hey bros, I'm just getting into running, I've completed 3 6 mile trail runs and it's fucking hard. Anyways the reason for my post.

On my 2nd and 3rd run I've experienced knee pain the following day. Nothing too extreme. Is this my body adjusting to running or am I doing something wrong? I've never had knee pain in my life, after my 2nd run knee pain was in my right knee after my 3rd run knee pain is in my left knee.

Thanks in advance for your response/help.

It doesn't get easier you jsut get used to it user.

You did too much too soon. Just because you can run 6 miles 3 days in to training doesn't mean you should. Give your body time to adjust with smaller distances.
Without a description and location of the pain i cant tell you anything about the cause...

Lower kneecap, behind the kneecap. Thanks for your insights bro

Anything under the kneecap is probably your meniscus, slipping or tendons swelling.
Do some stretches, take a few days off and take it easy. Do some granny exercise to strengthen your leg muscles. And i do mean granny exercises. Don't go out squatting 4lmaopl8s or you will end up in surgery with a ceramic kneecap and a few screws.

The fact that different knees got injured in a row like that probably points to bad running technique. Probably putting too much stress on your knees. Tell me do your hips hurt when running?

when can I get back to squatting 3pl8sLMAO?

My hips don't really hurt when running, a bit sore after.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this stuff, user.

The hips are a dead giveaway.
You "jump" while you run. Try keeping your feet closer to the ground.Go as low as possible for a few runs. Careful not to bend the knees to much. After about 2km do a walk test. Walk for about 50 steps. If there's no pain go back to running. Another good way to improve is to run as silently as you can.
You should be okay to squat after about a week with no pain

Anyone else here /nightrunning/

I run at night after long shifts. Not really a fan cause i need sun to see all the qts.

Going to run a 11.6km race in less than a month, also me and a friend signed up for a half marathon in May.

Hoping to do the first in under one hour and the half marathon under two.
I'm more of a powerlifter than a runner, so that's why I'm so slow.

50k ultra in October run bros. Hoping for 4hr 30min, anything sub 5 I'm happy with

Godspeed user. I want to do an ultra eventually, but i guess I'm not masochistic enough yet

I did it last year in 5 hr 04min

I would say no days off. This is something I notcied When I was marathon training in college and ran XC in high school. People who had days off kinda sucked. I even had a friend who was trying to walk on to my unis track team and I was faster then him with my marathon training. And add some more solid interval training. Fartleks are good for stretching your endurance but won't give you any speed. Especially if your looking to break 40 mins for a 10k

Also more hard days. Best routine was easy/hard/easy/hard/easy/hard/long

You are gonna make it. You sick cunt. :,)

Not OP, but what about running doubles?

Seems like an easy way to get more miles in.

Before sunset, sometimes, but seldom night. Too many degenerates out here.

Threadly reminder
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

Nice one OP!
2 month ago I did a 5k in 23:55.
Man, the final sprint is indeed the best think that can happen in your life.
I remember hearing the people behind me getting hyped to sprint too.
Only in moments like this that I can really fell alive.
Its funny how such a natural thing will never happen to a lot of people who are to scared to actualy begin running.

I don't get it? Why the frog? OP doesn't sounds sad at all.

I've been running 5k's fairly consistently for a a week or two now and have been running for about 5 weeks. Is it too much to hope to be able to run a half-marathon in mid-october?
Pic related a run I did yesterday, the mapping isn't accurate on this one.

Iktf bro
>hear about an sf unit
>sounds cool, I wanna join
>one of the requirements is to run 1.5 miles in >8 minutes
>try it
>15:23

1 year later I can do it in 8:20, going from bad to good is a good feel

Mid october sounds like a realistic date depending on what are your goals. You should probably start with a plan as soon as possible though.

Its about time I start running, what are some good apps I should download to keep track of stuff? Do any of them alert me when I should switch from jogging to walking? I'd hate to get messed up while I listen to music. Also, Saucony shoes are okay for running right? I have grid 9000s and I feel like they're the only ones worth using for running since don't own any running shoes yet.

If I recall correctly, all c25k apps will tell you when to run or walk. I think some have it configurable so that it beeps or something.
If you want to just keep track of your runs, go for strava

the 19 minute barrier is what separates boys from men

halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Here you go, that should have you ready in time

You don't need any app to run, don't be such a fuckin millennial. Put your runners on and go.

This post best post. Whenever I see people running with $200 worth of clothes or something like pic related I know they're in terrible shape and will only do 2 runs a month anyways.

Agreed. Breaking sub 19 was for me better than any feeling I've ever had

i see a lot of old people run half marathons with those.
always imagine them filled with high explosive fuel...
Guess the lack of oxygen goes to my head pretty fast...

Enjoy dying of dehydration when running anything more than 20k in 30C weather.

I agree that bringing these things during races is pretty retarded though.