What made you start lifting?

and why do you continue to lift?

>why did you start
11 inch arms at 6'3"
>why do you continue
because i've been doing it for 6 years and lifting is just automatic now, it's like asking me why i shower or brush my teeth

street fights

Wanting to cut first, after that I'll start lifting

I lift for Barb

Makes me strong and makes my body look good

/thread

Boredom after I gave up drinking. Now I lift for fun and to be stronger than everyone.

My friend from highschool. I thought he was ripped back then and I was mirin' him.

My gf broke up with me 1 years ago. Tried suicide, failed and became more miserable. Extended uni 1 year because of her. I want to become powerful and successful in life. Also I want an another girl that will make me forget her.

harder to kill and more useful in general

foreigners invading my lands.

SAME TRACK, whats your major?

ive talked to her before. she isnt that special

Got a VERY fit gf, realized I wasnt going to be the soft one in the relationship.

I continue to lift because I'm still with her and I don't want to make her fuck a fat guy

boxing is for that, lifting up heavy things at then putting them back down is quite pointless for that desu.

wanted to look better

now i also want to get stronger

I actually started lifting because I wanted to be as strong as Bud Spencer since my childhood, I actually never started for women and didn't continue for women.

Since I started using Tinder. You all know that "Women are not interested in your Muscles" stuff? Yeah, complete Bullshit, I have in my profile zero text and just me shirtless, I have 10 Matches per week, 90% from women with the following text in their profiles "I don't search for an ONS", yeah, sure you don't, I'm sure you liked my profile because of my charming personality.

I didn't start for women, but since I 100% know that EVERY woman LOVES muscular men, I can't blame the guys who does that since beginning.

It's the only thing that temporarily alleviates my crippling depression.

this

I wanted to looks better shirtless,now I want to get stronger

make my arms less skinny and get back at ex gf

look* fml

I started after a breakup, and I do it now because it makes me feel better in both physical and mental ways.

I hated the way I looked. Still skinny fat, but I've made a lot of progress. Every day I look in the mirror, I hate myself less and less. Made some great progress over the last month, which also makes me happy.

Because I am an overcompensating 5'6 turbo manlet, not even kidding. I get slightly more respect now that I weigh more than a 14 year old boy.

The whole you should only be ottermode if you are a manlet meme is so retarded, as a manlet you are already small, just be lean and try to get as big as possible.

Would've lifted even if I was tall though, muscles are cool and it is fun

wanted to become batman

>you build muscle much easier
>your muscle looks bulkier much easier
>you're pretty much automatically great at pressing and squats
>you can load up a heavy OHP and push it pretty well, meanwhile lanklets like me have to press the barbell through the fucking stratosphere

Grass is always greener I guess.

literally nothing of that matters outside the gym, the benefits of not being short outweighs every con there is of not being short

Super low self esteem and suicidal thoughts. Working out helps me feel better and now it's actually gotten me to a place where I can look in a mirror and feel better about myself.

I love this board. I would never tell anyone this stuff in real life, but it feels good to just say it to strangers on the internet.

I lift so I can push ur mom off me after we fuck

I started lifting because I was tired of being a cross country skelly who was ashamed to stand next to my incredibly aesthetic manlet friend
I continued lifting because I got fucking addicted to progression, and I gained 80lbs over 4 years, at around 17% body fat (4 pack abs)
I fell off lifting because I had to work 2 very demanding jobs and I did freelance work to pay for my final semester of college
I've gotten back into lifting because I work in a sunless office and half my coworkers are fat fucks. I saw a picture of my "one that got away" ex with her fitness model boyfriend and realized I'm a shadow of my former self. being fit and tan and dressing well makes people respect you leaps and bounds more.
>plus I lift at lunch with my boss and that lets me take a longer lunch break, and get on his good side. Always on the hustle

Everyone treats you better when you're attractive and in shape and when you're attractive that 25+ HR lady is simply more likely to hand your resume on to her boss.

2012 olympics, it was all I had to do one summer when I was a kid. No friends so I just watched the olympics. Then I started playing all sorts of sports

are you an anime?

Stopped smoking and didn't change what I was eating
I gained 40lbs of fat, started lifting to get back to good weight and now I like to lift.

>What made you start lifting?
Depression

>why do you continue to lift?
So I don't kill myself

yeah it sounds motivational. it really turned my life around.

Combination of being 6'4 and 155 lbs and back pains from sedetary lifestyle.

I am 185 lbs now and the pain is gone, I just lift to see how strong I can get now.

What size are your arms now?

1.Narcissism and arrogance
2.Narcissism and arrogance

>67x125

My life is a mess I don't know what else to do

Lifting is fun, the feeling afterwards is great, positive feedback from people around me, being strong feels good and I want to impress prostitutes.

>why did you start

I was sick of being the scrawny weak kid growing up. Was also short but eventually grew to 6'0" in high school.

>why do you continue

To look like a God

>what made you start?
I wanted big pecs.
I want really big pecs.

>I would never tell anyone this stuff in real life, but it feels good to just say it to strangers on the internet.

I know the feel...

Nice. Any tips for growing arms? Mine started at 12/11.5 and now they're 14.1/13.6

Started because my girlfriend cheated on me sophomore year of uni, wanted to make myself look good so she regrets it every time I post shirtless pics on insta.

Continue to lift because it is now second nature to me and I feel like shit if I don't hit the gym.

Hammer curls and benching.
Most of the size of your arm is gonna come from the big tris you get when you bench a lot.
My tris make my 'ceps look small on some angles so I have to do a lot of curls to even it out.
Hammer curls work the best for me.
Arms like frequency so throw in a couple of sets of curls or close-grip bench after you've completed the days workout.
You don't want to go hard on these bonus sets, they're there to get blood pumped into your arms and leaving the gym with a sick arm pump.

I'm in the same boat. Did it help you?

isn't me, but his advice is solid

bench and bench variants with decent volume 3x a week go a long way in building the triceps, add in some direct work and you should be good (I like LTEs for moderate reps, and pushdowns for high reps with a ton of volume)

as far as biceps go, they are a very fatigue resistant muscle that can handle a lot of frequency and volume, so do a curl variant every session (same goes for side delts, rear delts - right now I do 4x10-12 of a curl variants, side raises, and rear delt raises supersetted at the end of each bench day)

i disagree with the "don't go hard" thing, though, working biceps is so minimally fatiguing and they recover so quick that you can go apeshit for a few sets and not suffer any consequences at all other than a disgusting pump that feels like your arms are about to explode

Are you, yet?

I only say that because I came a little too close to pulling or tearing my 'cep when I was pushing myself through a preacher curl.
I felt an acute burning sensation throughout one of the last reps and got scared.
The pain went away after a few days but going ham on isolations is something I don't really like doing.

Women.
>and why do you continue to lift?
Women.

Started because I got dumped hard, continued because I realized how much of a weak shit I was. I'm not where I would like to be so I guess I'll keep going.
I think I owe Veeky Forums to continue this journey since you guys backed me up on bad times.
Now my ex is fucking up her life and I keep improving mine. Maybe all of this is vanity and bitterness but I don't care.

being a fatass since elementary school, now just graduated highschool, i havent started yet but ive leaned to skinnyfat and then back to chubby. my calves are god tier and my quads bretty good

Why do people make this thread at least 20 times a week?

Yes

I played football in high school and had to lift morning for 4 years. Just kept that momentum going through college.

probably helps with motivation

real: it doesnt matter why you lift. the reason for why you lift will be less important to you some days and more important other days. some days you wont care at all about women (in the example where you lift for women). you might not want to lift on a day like that.

what matters is discipline. getting to the gym no matter how you feel and busting your ass and moving heavy shit, rain, shine, blues, highs.

godspeed nerds.

becuz I wanna be a big gui.jpeg

and a hero to my kids.

I lift so that I may gain entrance to a vagina

>Been a runner since high school.
>Anywhere between 30-45 min a day.
>do it just to relax and get runner's high.
>sprained my ankle by slipping on some ice during a hike.
>Can't run, can't relax, can't get runner's high.
>This paired up with a recent breakup led to me feeling weak and vulnerable, and an irrational sense that I will be like this forever. Develop anxiety.
>New uni gym opens up and my friend invites me to lift with him.
>Lifting feels great
>Stick to it until I can run again.
>Start running again, break personal records due to gains at the gym
>Run and lift now
>Do both just to calm down my anxiety.

i lift to feel superior to other people and it works wonders

I really hate being skinny
A man should not be small

I lift because I went from 6'0 185lbs lean at 20 to 240lbs at 26 fat as fuck. Quit drinking started lifting again and I'm down to 200lbs with a bit more to go. Feel better, stronger and healthier.

i finally got fed up with my reflection and how i looked, dieted down 20kg in 4 months, then one day on a bike i was riding by a gym, went inside, asked some questions, signed up, after a few workouts found out i actually like working out so that and the progress i made since the beginning is what keeps me going

>First year uni student, browsed Veeky Forums but never lifted
>Keep seeing this cutie redhead walking around campus with the biggest tits I've seen for someone's frame
>Never talked to her but doesn't stop me from being a creep and clocking her when I see her
>Get on the bus one day, next stop she comes on with a conventional Chad
>Tall, popular haircut, tanned, clothed but I can tell he lifts
>Literally sit one seat in front of me to the left
>They start talking about gym, imagine they're going to work-out together
>Literally telling her about his lifts, his bench press, squats etc.
>Looking at her face in the window's reflection, fawning over this information and him
>Swore I was gonna get that reaction one day, swore to go the gym after 2017 new years ( It was early December at the time)

>.....
>tfw still haven't started yet because I feel too weak and pathetic go inside a gym

Because I'm going to have a kid.

I love my father to death, the most intelligent and charming man I've ever known, but he's always been fat and looks super weak (he's also a turbo manlet).

I want my kids to admire me like I admire my father plus the fact that I'm fit and actually won't be overpowered by them when I hit puberty.

when they hit puberty*

lol i'm clearly not as smart as my dad

Start tomorrow faggot

Jesus Christ, you're a pathetic shit.
Get some professional help or a backalley vasectomy from a Polack, git gud or remove yourself from the gene pool.

just go to the gym, your fears are unsubstantiated, nobody will ridicule or judge you or your lifts, nobody will care, just go and do your thing, and if you keep going gains will come your way no matter where you start

I was laying in bed and decided that I didn't want to be a fat piece of shit anymore

went from 320 - 198 currently. Not where I want to be, but it feels good to finally weigh within the 100s

same

also everytime i fuck up for like 3 days in a row with my sleep/diet/workouts i want to kill myself again - will it ever pass? i just want to be a normalfag again

Yeah but the physics of having longer limbs means you are doing more work. It doesnt make the manlets stronger than you

I lift so I can get a girl like this with an ass like that

Been like 10-20 pounds overweight most of my life, 25 now so I want to take it seriously now before it gets harder to start and maintain. Gf is taking it more seriously as I do so it's good motivation.

Those are two different girls, right?

I haven't. I'm terrified of gaining fat during a bulk since I lose facial gains way too fast.

nigga, then don't gain weight as fast as you lose it. half pound of weight gain a week, about half of that being fat, and you'll be fine.
150lbs @ 10%bf, half pound of weight gain a week, = 26lbs gain in a year.
lbm: 135lbs->148
fat:15->28
bf%: 10% -> 16%
it'd take only a couple months to get back down to 10-12%, and you usually get most of the difference in jaw definition going from 16-20% down to 12-14% depending on genetics

That's what I would go for, but being a newbie you might fuck up and gain too much. Then I would be stuck looking like shit facially for like a year until it's time to cut.

For reference, I'm 68kg at 182cm. My face gets visibly puffy at 72kg.

Overweight an needed a valve for everyday stress

This.

Did push-ups all the time as a kid from the ages 10-18 did push-ups before going to bed
>Tfw Have a big chest that looks good in t shirts and never had to try
>skinny everywhere else ;_;

>dad was into bodybuilding
>grandpep was professional bodybuilder
>watched Pumping Iron while in high school
>instead of participating in team sports asked gym teacher if I could lift weights
>lifted during gym class and then after school
>been lifting off and on for years since
>discover Veeky Forums
>learn I'm actually bisexual
>find out grandpep was a male model for gay beefcake mags in the 60s

lifting was something I've loved doing because it was a family tradition. Then discovered that having the attention of gay men is also a family tradition.

This is my life I guess.

>he lifts for average asian girls with 10 pounds of makeup on

i think the point is to lift as a distraction to focus on that also requires you to eat and sleep well. this makes you feel better and then confidence slowly sets in allowing you to actually do something you want to. i mean, my autismal tendencies plateaued me at the 'lift to forget' phase but that's what i imagine most normal minded people do.

>instead of participating in team sports asked gym teacher if I could lift weights
>lifted during gym class and then after school

i really wish they let me do that, gym class sucked
>tfw volleyball week

Same, I'm skinny fat still, but relatively strong. But enlisting as well as routinely working out makes me chronically think of myself as better than 90% of the world. YUGE ego

You are indeed pathetic, but a gym can change that. Just go in and work hard you pussy.

Yeah it really does help.

When I get a bad injury and can't go to the gym for 3+ days I always get really miserable

>why did you start
Dad set me upon the path, got serious because I didn't like myself and wanted to pull girls/not be kissless virgin

>why do you continue
Now pulling Stacys left and right, realized women are a meme and the only true happiness is the endless pursuit of an unreachable level of natty perfection

I have a connective tissue disorder and all my joints hurt since my mid/late teens. Also have that caved in chest so I can never be aesthetic. In college I met a professor who had the same thing I do. He suggested running because that helped him keep his joints tight and it prevented the pain. I couldn't run because of my chest and reduced lung capacity (60% of normal for someone of my size). So I met a bro and he taught me all the compound barbell movements. Now I train strongman.

> the only true happiness is the endless pursuit of an unreachable level of natty perfection
This

I see you from the goal bodies thread, good taste my nigga