Giving up meat

Im finally doing it.
Im on week 5 of a plant based diet. Im not giving up meat for the "humane" reasons, though thats an issue in and of itself.

I lost my pops last year from kidney failure and diabetes, and am on the verge of losing my mother. I have a genetic predisposition to cancer and all sorts of shit, and the more i dive into nutrition, the more i cant ignore the facts that meat is probably not that good for you.

How have you vegan/vege Veeky Forumsizens transitioned into this lifestyle while still keeping up performance in sports and in the gym?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17175567
youtube.com/watch?v=4CFEBU0qnkM
youtu.be/RtGf2FuzKo4
youtube.com/watch?v=PuRnT_ojwQU
youtube.com/watch?v=v5j1gA50QXE
youtube.com/watch?v=57QwxhzItbQ
quora.com/Exactly-what-kind-of-bacteria-produces-Vitamin-B12-and-under-what-kind-of-natural-habitat-and-climatic-conditions-does-it-thrive-in
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784788
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329
jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486478
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21092700
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21118604
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278
m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1032.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16087975
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323090
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323085
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753065
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2756917
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1628441/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043928
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3354491
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12748410
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21613354
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873950
ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11269606
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19103647
m.jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2346.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/35465
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257705/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1435181
m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/1/127.abstract
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/159772
m.jap.physiology.org/content/82/1/49
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21353476
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4067152
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8005079
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874810/pdf/canmedaj01383-0052.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7788369
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2912628/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25076673
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8442642
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19748244
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3948463
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18293883
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12816782
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10966896
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10552882
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21139125
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/543s.full
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24871479
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14988640
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/633S.long
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/04/25/saturated-fat-finally-vindicated.aspx
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874191/
nap.edu/read/11537/chapter/13
livestrong.com/article/435773-cholesterol-testosterone/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3292202/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654
examine.com/nutrition/will-eating-eggs-increase-my-cholesterol
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2297284
webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/exercise-to-lower-cholesterol
youtube.com/watch?v=ubGzbj59_Xs
catalystathletics.com/articles/downloads/proteinDebate.pdf
eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/ehj/37/29/2315.full.pdf
sci-hub.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Yes I have, just be sure to monitor what you eat much more now. Make sure to do your best at sculpting a good healthy diet.

idiot lmao

Me and about ten friends have started cooking vegetarian/vegan food.
The biggest reason for most of us is probably that it contains less calories and leads to a healthier lifestyle.

And somewhere in the back of my head at least, I know it's good for our planet and for the animals.

My favorite protein rich food right now is chick-peas.

vegan? vegetarian?
what supps do you take? Ive heard d3, and omegas are important

Good luck user. I couldn't do it. Things got too boring and I was losing weight despite eating what I thought was more but was actually less in terms of calories.

Increasing crop production will lead to further use of land and possibly more deforestation which wouldn't be good for wild life. On top of that, most of the crops go to waste due to allelopathy. What we should be doing is increasing insect consumption since they provide alternative sources to protein and are large in quantity everywhere in the world. But insects are considered animals so I don't know if this is acceptable to vegans.

Most of us mix meat and veg. food and when I buy meat I always buy locally raised/slaughtered.

It's important that you tell as many as possible and if no1 cares just switch to vegan thats where the free (you)'s are.

I would buy locally raised/slaughtered meat but I don't know any place that sells this. I only have my local super market meats.

My local supermarket have a lot of local meat and greens.
And some milk products too.

kek

kys op

No really so worried about the excess calories. It has to do with lowering my saturated fat and cholesterol intake. I used to be 360 pounds, and have since dropped 130 pounds. But even now, since i have such a history of family illness. I want to see if i can manage to take that next step.
i still supplement with whey iso and could stand to lose a few pounds as is, so short term im not too worried about that.
Im not even trying to start some argumentative thread. I dont really give too many fucks about the animals were killing. Its strictly a health thing at this point.

plant-based is most based, of course i did eat a BLT with 8 slices of sugared bacon for lunch today

I eat fish and I don't have cancer

B12 is the only one you need as a vegan. Everyone should be taking a D supp, or be getting more sunlight. Omega supplements aren't needed, nuts and seeds cover your bases.

>>giving up meat
>>giving up gains

Wake me when you give up eating dairy and eggs regularly. Giving up meat is easy. Dairy is what keeps heads in the sand.

And what alternative to meat do you propose?
What do I eat with my potatoes, rice, pasta etc that isn't fucking grass?

I already stopped drinking milk and eating eggs. Youre right though. Cheese and greek yogurt are the hard ones.

Beans and lentils, other whole grains

Beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentils, chickpeas

Just season your shit up senpai

I would be vegan if I didn't eat pizza every couple of weeks.

Does this diet keep you from breaking out?

I can't even pronounce half of that shit

Yes and no. Yes you will break out less. You will still break out in places. Unless I am doing things wrong.

It's not feasible if you're wanting to be strong and full natty.

Read this study (if you can), might explain why

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17175567
>tldr meatcucks are less intelligent

Im still supplementing with vegan protein. It is definitely feasible, especially when eating other products like tofu, tempeh, and seitan

Supposed to be easy to make taco meat out of TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein). Stuff is really cheap and utilitarian. It's soy based.

Just fucking stop

Been debating giving up chicken given the retarded Chinese processing bullshit going on.

Red meat I very rarely have. I tend to get dietary distress unless it's really high quality meat, and so I keep it as a treat.

Fish I've given up on. We're fucking up the oceans too much. Last thing my autistic ass needs is more mercury exposure.

If you're eating whole food plant based make sure you eat a fuck ton! I can't speak for everyone but I've been on this diet for 2 years now and bulking was quite challenging at the start.
Once you get used to it though its far better than a meat and dairy diet in my opinion, more energy, sleep better, good gains with very little fat attatched.
To top it all off Ive only had one minor cold in the two years ive been eating this way and that only lasted a few days.
My favourite post gym meal is a fuck ton of rice, a can of red kidney beans sauteed in garlic, onions, mushrooms and lots of spinach.
Enjoy your journey m8 ,i believe its really worth the switch. Dont listen to cucks when they tell you it's unhealthy, i truly have never felt better.

What I like to do is eat just my calorie-giving meals throughout the day, the beans and oats and all that stuff, and then at the end of the day eat as many vegetables as I can. That way the veggies aren't filling me up until after I've gotten the calories in.

this

Plants aren't as dense, so you'll be eating a greater volume of food with equal caloric value.

That feeling after filling up from vegetables.
Feels good man

Don't give up eggs youtube.com/watch?v=4CFEBU0qnkM

Give up eggs
youtu.be/RtGf2FuzKo4

What a retarded video. What does it prove just because something isn't healthy doesn't mean it's unhealthy.

It is unhealthy

youtube.com/watch?v=PuRnT_ojwQU

>Lutein and zeaxanthin study he references clearly says feeding egg yolk to the study participants raised their LDL by 8-11%
>doesn't mention this

>sugared bacon
Unironically kill yourself

>Eating egg yolks

Weekly hard limits of full eggs. After that, whites only.

All it took in that study was 1.3 egg yolks. What's your weekly limit?

don't be a fag, i'm literally biking to gains town in 10 minutes

you people go around telling everyone to eat bullshit like chicken breast and whey protein powder, then get triggered when I talk about eating a fucking BLT?

you must be fat

>Increasing crop production will lead to further use of land and possibly more deforestation
Animals consume roughly 2/3 of the crops produced in the US, idiot. If people cut down on meat, the amount of total farmland would go down.

I guess it's 1.3 egg yolks.

youtube.com/watch?v=v5j1gA50QXE

Enjoy not having a functioning brain retard.

I want to keep whey powder as my only protein source and vegetarian food as carb/fat source because it's cheaper

>don't be a fag
>i'm literally biking to gains town in 10 minutes
>you people go around telling everyone to eat bullshit like chicken breast and whey protein powder, then get triggered when I talk about eating a fucking BLT?
>you must be fat
Wow, too many assumptions in one post
Sugared bacon tastes vile and is a disgrace to the pig that had to die. It is on par with snails, chilli chocolate, raw eggs, organ meat, banana-ketchup-steak tortilla and sugared herring on the disgusting scale

>take B12 supplement
>get the best of both worlds

youtube.com/watch?v=57QwxhzItbQ

lol fatty

Then you aren't really a vegan, you idiot.

organ meat is fantastic in literally each and every way. you are an absolute cumlord.

>he thinks b12 is only found in animals

b12 is produced by bacteria in fresh water and soil. The only reason it's in sufficient quantities in meat is because livestock are fed b12 supplements

>yfw you've been taking a b12 supplement this whole time

Pescetarianism / flexitarianism is the optimal diet user

no dairy tho

idg being a vegan

>can't legally market eggs as healthy, nutritional or safe to eat but still think they are good for you

good goyim

Where do you live, a drive round the country side and see signs everywhere for local farmers selling meat.

So much sodium in this post i went over my daily limit

>Beans, tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentils, chickpeas

Yeah that's what I want after a 10 hour shift on a building site, some beans and fucking lentils. Fuck that lamb shank steak or beef stew ill have some cheakpeas after a long day at work.

>10 hour shift on a building site
Well that's why veganism is for higher educated people ;)

Nah in all seriousness, you are probably habitually "addicted" to meat. If you change your eating habits you can easily stop eating meat, a good lentils curry tastes amazing and is really filling.

Beans are meaty and savory and hot. What's the issue? If you're such a little bitch then don't even make yourself a steak go order pizza you pathetic faggot.

Oh right I forgot building sites are not filled with engineers with proper degrees.

I keep meaning to start eating more non meat meals to see how I feel with it all had a vegetable stew this week which I need to work on it was very watery
How about the whole juicer issue I read the slow ones are much better than the standard. Not as a meal replacement but more of a snack during a work day

Im a carpenter m8 and youd be suprised how much better you will feel, you'll be running laps around cunts on site especially after lunch when they are all lethargic and bogged down from meat heavy meals.

best source to learn more about vegetarian diet ?

plant based is best, I am eating 95% plant based, mainly to improve my bloodwork because I take steroids.
Bloods are perfect, always, gains are just like they were before, maybe better.
I can eat more food. So many pros.

Sometimes I say fuck it and eat a pizza, but no red meat, very little fish and white meat. loads of fruit, lentils, beans, soy products etc.
soy granules, 49% protein, 2 fat, 5 carbs.
so many great protein sources. Also cheap as fuck .

>a good lentils curry tastes amazing and is really filling

Get your poor ass out of my face, peasant.

yeah, what would you do with the chespest, and nutritionally almost perfect food.

>I keep meaning to start eating more non meat meals to see how I feel with it all
Great!
>had a vegetable stew this week which I need to work on it was very watery
Man, veggie stews are a very inefficient way to get calories in. They can be good for cutting though. If I were you I'd be getting bean burritos or falafel wraps or something
>How about the whole juicer issue I read the slow ones are much better than the standard. Not as a meal replacement but more of a snack during a work day
There is nothing inherently wrong with juicing, just keep in mind you aren't getting any of the fiber.

Here's a tip
>Juice carrots, spinach, celery, apple, oranges, whatever you like
>Keep the pulp and boil it except from the apples and oranges
>Drain pulp through sift
Voila veggie stock to make your stews/risottos even tastier

In all animal studies, the easiest way to increase lifespan is just to reduce calorie intake

particularly you want to stop eating foods that cause inflammation

>bacteria aren't animals

hm

Monitor your diet, make sure it's balanced and let us know how it pans out for you in 5 weeks. Til then, OP.

They aren't eukaryotes, mang.
quora.com/Exactly-what-kind-of-bacteria-produces-Vitamin-B12-and-under-what-kind-of-natural-habitat-and-climatic-conditions-does-it-thrive-in

>i'm ignorant

Not an argument

>saying "literally biking to gains town"
>not being a fag
pick one and only one

Fish that are in the bottom of the food chain have a lot less mercury in them, I'd say 3 times a week wouldn't do anything to you.

I agree to a certain extent, especially when you track the body's digestion of red meat. When you look red meat like steak sits in the digestive tract for 5 to 14 days. It's obviously not great to eat in large quantities.

However I don't agree with giving up meat entirely. Just on the basis that your body has been fine tuned to digest red meat. I see no reason to give up said example because doing so will kill off certain bacteria in your body that was already naturally occurring.

Plus who knows when your life becomes like that kid from Hatchet and become trapped in Alaska and you need to kill a reindeer to eat and survive.

No brain, no CNS, no sense of self or ability to perceive subjective reality => ok to consume
>Just on the basis that your body has been fine tuned to digest red meat
Name one physiological adaptation humans have made specifically to digest meat
>when your life becomes like that kid from Hatchet and become trapped in Alaska and you need to kill a reindeer to eat and survive
Red herring, if he has to he'll eat meat, but in 99.9999999% of every day life in modern western societies meat is unnecessary

>body has been fine tuned to digest meat
Why does consuming meat develop atherosclerosis then?

Hey fren. I feel pretty compelled to give some advice about this. I've been vegan/semi-vegan for five years. I've had a lot of success but also A LOT of problems that have come from laziness and ignorance.

You need a B12 supplement. Supplements come in different shapes and sizes. You want 1000 micrograms of methylcobalamin. There are B12 supplements that are actually like 100 micrograms of cyanocobalamin, which is shit.

Another big one is iodine. Iodine also comes in different forms. You can get it from kelp and stuff, or from iodized salt, or from better supplements like nascent iodine. Very important.

Found the Jew or Muzzie.

Nuts contain ALA o3's which are shit tier compared to DHA and EPA from fish.

Source: vegetarian

I'm doubling the amount of meat in my diet.

>Unironically defending SUGAR in any way, shape or form on top of MEAT
Please do not reproduce

>"raising less meat increases land needed to grow crops"
This is exactly the opposite of reality you fucking brainlet.

B-but muh grass grazing free range

Why you veggiefags suck dick:

Vegans are deficit in b12:

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/784788
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16219987

High fiber diets reduce serum half life of vitamin D3:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6299329

Vegans have weaker bones due to lower calcium intake and vitamin D3 levels:

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/486478
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21092700

Vegans have a worse memory compared to non vegans due to creatine deficiency in vegans:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21118604
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14561278

Vegans have less gains compared to non vegans:

m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1032.full

Vegans are deficient in omega threes:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16087975
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16188209
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323090
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12323085

Vegans are deficit in carnitine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21753065
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2756917
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1628441/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043928
Vegans are deficient in taurine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3354491

Vegans are deficient in iodine:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12748410
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21613354

Vegans are deficient in Coenzyme Q10:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873950

Vegans are deficient in iron due to the fact that iron from plant sources is less bioavailable than iron from meat sources:

ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11269606

Vegans are deficient in vitamin A:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19103647
m.jn.nutrition.org/content/137/11/2346.full

Vegans have a lower sperm count than non vegans:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/35465
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257705/

Vegans have lower testosterone than non vegans:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1435181
m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/42/1/127.abstract
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/159772
m.jap.physiology.org/content/82/1/49

Veganism causes loss of libido and erectile dysfunction:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21353476
Children who are raised on strict vegan diets do not grow normally:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4067152
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8005079

Children develop rickets after prolonged periods of strict vegetarian diets:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874810/pdf/canmedaj01383-0052.pdf

"There are some links between vegetarians and lower birthweight and earlier labour"

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7788369

"Particular attention should be paid to adequate protein intake and sources of essential fatty acids, iron, zinc, calcium, and vitamins B12 and D. Supplementation may be required in cases of strict vegetarian diets with no intake of any animal products."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2912628/

These next five are case studies:

Cerebral atrophy in a vitamin B12-deficient infant of a vegetarian mother:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25076673

Severe megaloblastic anemia in child breast fed by a vegetarian mother:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8442642

Consequences of exclusive breast-feeding in vegan mother newborn - case report:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19748244

Nutritional vitamin B12 deficiency in a breast-fed infant of a vegan-diet mother:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3948463

"We report the case of a 7 month-old girl that presented with acute anemia, generalized muscular hypotonia and failure to thrive. Laboratory evaluation revealed cobalamin deficiency, due to a vegan diet of the mother."

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18293883

Most recent studies using more sensitive techniques for detecting B12 deficiency have found that 68% of vegetarians and 83% of vegans are B12 deficient, compared to just 5% of omnivores. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12816782
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10966896
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10552882

On paper, calcium intake is similar in vegetarians and omnivores (probably because both eat dairy products), but is much lower in vegans, who are often deficient.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21139125
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/543s.full

Vegetarians and omnivores have similar levels of serum iron, but levels of ferritin—the long-term storage form of iron—are lower in vegetarians than in omnivores.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24871479

Hey look, the meat industry shill has come out to spam his links that he refuses to defend when anyone points out the obvious flaws in them.

This is significant, because ferritin depletion is the first stage of iron deficiency. Moreover, although vegetarians often have similar iron intakes to omnivores on paper, it is more common for vegetarians (and particularly vegans) to be iron deficient. For example, this study of 75 vegan women in Germany found that 40% of them were iron deficient, despite average iron intakes that were above the recommended daily allowance.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14988640

many plant foods that contain zinc also contain phytate, which inhibits zinc absorption. Vegetarian diets tend to reduce zinc absorption by about 35% compared with omniovorous diet.

Thus, even when the diet meets or exceeds the RDA for zinc, deficiency may still occur. One study suggested that vegetarians may require up to 50% more zinc than omnivores for this reason.

Why you need dietary cholesterol:

Saturated Fat Finally Vindicated in Long Buried Study
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/04/25/saturated-fat-finally-vindicated.aspx

Medium Chain Triglyceride Oil Consumption as Part of a Weight Loss Diet Does Not Lead to an Adverse Metabolic Profile When Compared to Olive Oil
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874191/

Why you need cholesterol
nap.edu/read/11537/chapter/13
livestrong.com/article/435773-cholesterol-testosterone/

Finding your upper limit with cholesterol
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3292202/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654

Very wide and diverse amounts of similar research and current scientific consensus (look at the links at the bottom)
examine.com/nutrition/will-eating-eggs-increase-my-cholesterol

Went 100% pescatarian (the healthiest choice) 8 years ago and haven't looked back. I get some kind of fish or seafood in one of my meals everyday. I experienced no loss in stamina, though I didn't eat a ton of meat before that anyway.

Exercise lowers cholesterol
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2297284
webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/exercise-to-lower-cholesterol

Why "moral arguments" dont matter (there are literally thousands of them but I shall target the most popular ones)

It is not economically friendly, nor important for the world to forgo meat as we have a surplus of retarded niggers on this planet.
youtube.com/watch?v=ubGzbj59_Xs

Giant read through summarizing dietary protein
catalystathletics.com/articles/downloads/proteinDebate.pdf

Another giant read through as to why you are a lazy fuck and should move more. Very high quality, provided by the european union.
eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/ehj/37/29/2315.full.pdf

misc, how to go through paywall articles:

sci-hub.io/

this guy is absolutely patrician

if you are going to give up meat entirely, at least keep in the dairy and eggs. b12 is generally your only supplement needed unless you are vegan

Nah faggots like you are beyond saving. I just try to convince those on the fence its a bad idea. I also find the levels of ass blasted fury from vegans to be greatly amusing.

butt hurt meat and dairy cuck clutching at straws, good goyim keep being a mindless consumer.

There's more than one satiety trigger, not just how full your stomach is.

Gregor is such a

D O U C H E
O
U
C
H
E