Reposting

Reposting.

Any BJJ/Grappling guys here?

I got fired last week so theres a lot more time for me to train. I have NAGA Nationals in a few weeks (three 10th Planet JJ gyms near the tourney site, obvious rigging) and I'm just looking for advice on extra preparation and training focus.

I'm a little over a year into training, 1 state level gold and a southeast gold, other medals from other comps. I'll be doing No-gi, walking around at 212 currently.

Used to. Not anymore. Maybe will again in the future.

Went up to a blue belt. Was one of the smallest guys at my gym, so I really had to put a focus on technique. I couldn't outpower most of the guys.

One thing that helped me was always keeping in mind and drilling fundamentals.

Go on YouTube and check out "7 BJJ Drills you should do EVERYDAY w/ Roberto Atalla". That's a great video to see what I'm talking about.

At the end of the day, simpler is better. Be really good at fundamental movements and submissions.

>I got fired last week
what'd u get fired for?

Is he giving him the succ?

The technique ceiling in BJJ is so huge that strength and conditioning really take a back seat. They matter, just a lot less than focused drilling and rolling. Notice I said FOCUSED. Start a training log and be writing down notes about your session, things you want to work on, goals. Go into the gym with a purpose. Periodize your technique training the way you periodize your lifting.

Wrestling and BJJ are muscular endurance short and long dependent more than lactic, a good aerobic system and specific conditioning set up is important. The main problem I see is guys going too hard for too short a time, you gotta train for the whole match.

Thanks. Luckily we do plenty of open mat full speed work, an hour+ 3 times a week. the last one I won I had rolled at least an hour a day for the preceding 3 weeks without a break, the stamina isn't much of an issue.

Got similar advice from the bottom guy in the OP image, drill constantly and dont do much new shit.

Not producing enough value. I'm a fresh graduate and hung on for a year, but got pushed down the ladder til i was doing worthless stuff. got new interviews lined up this week. pay raise.

thanks man. I'll watch and add to the routine. I'm unbelted since its a no-gi gym. Highest I've submitted is a purple from a gracie gym.

Pic related is banner material desu

One thing I always do in the weeks before competition is drill my best case scenario from standing to finish.

Examples:
Guard pull->tripod sweep->cross knee pass->knee on belly->opponent turns in->spin to back->secure choke and hooks

Single leg take down->dump to quick over-under pass->knee on belly->mount->cross choke

Start your first round with the first technique, then add the next step each round and then do a long round or two of the entire progression. You can make this work for things like recovering guard all the way to a finish, defending a take down to finish, or getting guard pulled on you.

I just got back from class. I'm a blue belt and I've been training for 3 years (no LARP). I don't compete a lot. I also had to move around a lot because I was in college when I started, moved back home, then went back to get another degree, and finally landed back home in May. I've been going 4 times a week for over a year now though.

Defense > offense because you may not be able to string together a series of attacks like a purple belt can, but you can learn how to shrug off the second attack that they throw at you and then go for a cheeky wrist lock. I fucking love the wrist lock. I was in a competition where the other guy took my back. I managed to defend it, scramble into half guard and hold his arm against the mat and pull down on his hand. It's a beautiful, simple, cheap little move. You can even pull it off from standing before somebody pulls guard or gets a take down. You don't even have to do BJJ to win with it.

this is fantastic, almost all of my wins are takedown->sweep->position->submission
I need to cut down on thinking in terms of branching possibilities, somewhat

like my first one ever was:
>guard
>sweep to mount
>armbar attempt from mount
>spiderweb to break grip
>armbar
sweet. I'm all leglocks and armbars , I could use some sneaky wrist stuff. So far I haven't been submitted in comp. lose by position. Much of my focus lately has been purposeful offense.

and congrats on getting back into it.

For my money, working on positions and form will take you a lot further than trying to get submissions. We've been working open guard for like a fucking month to the point where the thought of going back again makes me want to puke. One of my professors keeps stressing the ability to be comfortable in open guard without spilling all of your spaghetti trying to dive past the legs. People can defend your single techniques. Those same people won't defend well applied pressure for a long period of time. You feel me?

I find the more direct and simplified approach I have, the fewer options I need to choose between, which usually makes flowing from muscle memory a lot easier.

I'm about a month into BJJ. Still learning the basics, but I wrestled through college so some stuff seems easy to do. It's brutal on my body right now but it's so fuckin rewarding. Originally wanted to do MMA but my left eye has thinning in the retina so a well placed strike and I'm blind in that eye- that and multiple concussions. Still, hoping to do kickboxing for a bit later. Doing nogi atm, just focusing on building my cardio right now.

Probably a good choice. Sorry about that eye. what's the biggest drawback of the wrestling background? lots of advantage to that.
I see, my usual path is just moment to moment, no rush. I know what's safe in most any position, or what pain tolerance I have for it, go slow and feel out what's where, I get adventurous as it goes on.

Like in pic I got here from a baited and stuffed single leg failure with a couple seconds left of regular time. Set head and arm in place, roll to the right, posture and trap his leg, crank to finish.

This post is partially just to force me to think about my game and put it in words, test it against argument. Aside from that, I'm the type to miss major details in lots of things, so there could be plenty obvious things I'm not doing yet.

I wrestled for years so my knees are knackered. After my first week my knees felt like they exploded and it felt like my kidneys were being pulled out of my body. But other than that, I think not being able to use my legs through wrestling is so ingrained it actually slips my mind that I can use them. IN addition it's a completely different atmosphere. BJJ feels like a casual jog (not a knock on how difficult it is mind you) whereas wrestling always felt like a sprint. There's just more intensity with wrestling which means I don't think strategy through as much as I should.

I'm still learning the basics so I have yet to roll with anyone, but I notice other beginners in my class struggle with hip movement which never seems to be an issue with me. I also sometimes struggle with submissions because I don't know what's appropriate or too much; case in point, I was practicing an armbar on a partner but he refused to tap until I damn near broke his arm. I don't think refusing to tap is normal but now I keep second guessing myself because I don't want to hurt anyone.

what i was told about pacing for submissions is that noone will be able to significantly resist for the last inch or so of a successful submission, so if you're with somebody that really wants the punishment, don't worry about it. if he's just laying there asking for pain like that, he's either not a fantastic partner or there's something off about your finish that he's not identifying so he wants you to force it. its your judgement beyond that.

wrestling is definitely more of a sprint, it even feels a bit like doing sprints to me. BJJ feels more like floating down some light rapids. better keep your breath and know where you're going.

I don't have too much for you user. Eat healthy, stay hydrated, don't overtrain, get sleep. If you're taking a break, one day at most. Also, don't go super hard in rolls if you're training every day.

That's about all I got. Good luck user.

I like you, you sound like my best friend

Why do I get thrashed so hard with a gi? I train gi once a week and no gi twice a week but the difference is staggering.

Probably because you have plenty to learn about BJJ, especially when it comes to the gi.

we all just going to ignore OPs pic?

That's probably the long and short of it. I've been training consistently for 7 months but there are dudes who have been there for only a few months longer who absolutely dom me over and over and over. My defense is great but I always end up on the bottom

Do any other guys here hate wearing long sleeve rashguards? I get the point of them and all but I fucking despise the feeling of having my arms entirely covered. Something about short sleeves in general feels better, like my arms feel freer.