What's the quickest way to go from almost absolute zero chinups to repping pullups with good form?

What's the quickest way to go from almost absolute zero chinups to repping pullups with good form?

I'm currently doing 5x5 chinup negatives with a full attempt of a chinup at the first of each set. I can almost get my chin above the bar atm.

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/workouts/chin-up-project
youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm not sure what you want us to tell you .. you're already doing it.

I should have mentioned that I was doing it 3x per week. Should I do it more often? Should I get to at least one clean chinup and keep doing the negatives? Should I be increasing the amount of negatives I do?

Grip training.

What got me from being able to do no pull-ups to doing about a dozen in a set was jackknife pull-ups. Grab hold of the bar with a chair under your feet. It should take enough weight off for you to be able to do some reps with decent form.

The negative chin-ups is a good idea too, keep doing them. Just go slow. But you may want to switch to a overhand grip, let your lats take more of the weight as opposed to your arms.

just keep on your training it's gonna take some weeks, looks like you've been at it for one or two and is already anxious for results.

>I'm currently doing 5x5 chinup negatives with a full attempt of a chinup at the first of each set. I can almost get my chin above the bar atm.
in the same place doing mostly the same thing. try a jumping pull-up to a 5s hold at the top, then a 10s negative, then hanging leg lifts (bent knee is easiest)

I would like to see results, but I know that you can't necessarily rush strength gains without risking injury. I tried doing them 4x and 5x per week at first but I noticed that my negatives were becoming less controlled with the added volume. Just wanted to check with people that were more informed on the matter.

I do feel like my physique is off-balance because my lats are undertrained.

Do crossfit pullups, it's what I do since I can't do real pullups.

Just do assisted pullups like you would any other exercise? Gradually decrease the assistance.

Just be patient. It look me literal months to go from no pull-ups to jackknifes to full pull-ups. Two to three times a week is fine. You'll get there. I'm 33 and have visible lats for the first time in my life, and I'm currently working on assisted one-armed pull-ups. Feels good man.

1. Whenever you are ready in the day and feel good -- go do as many chin ups as you can in a row
2. Wait 2 minutes and do as many chin-ups as you can
3. Don't do it until failure because you can fuck up your neck -- repeat step 2 until you simply cant do anymore -- do not strain yourself
4. Eat a lot (or hit your macro) and sleep a well and drink plenty of water
5. Wait two days and do not do chin ups -- if you did chin ups on the 1st of the month, you repeat this process on 4th

Got up to 19 chin ups doing this but stopped because I went to snap city due to bad form as greed for more reps

Get yourself a copy of Convict Conditioning. It has a great system of progression for doing pull-ups.

Lose weight

I will be patient and try to put in consistent work without risking injury. Wish me luck.

You don't need luck when you got hard work, mang. Have fun, get dem gains.

I went from doing 3 struggle chinups to thirty pullups with good form. Took about two and a half years of practicing every other day. Plus I lost eighty pounds which makes huge difference.

5-6x a week

Don't take this advice, OP. If you're doing the exercise with adequate intensity, you'll need a day between workouts for rest. Rest is just as important as the exercise; it's when you rebuild your muscle.

Three times a week is max.

You're new. He's trying to do more dumbass by increasing strength, not build muscle. He can do them every day if he pleases but not to failure. Don't offer advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

Here OP
t-nation.com/workouts/chin-up-project

New? lol Okay.

back, forearms and biceps - train them
fat - lose it.

I am a bit of a fatty, I can do 15 reps of pull ups due to stronk bek, but somewhere between 11-12 chin ups, cause biceps struggle with my fat ass. For non-fatty normies when they start out chin ups are easier than pullups.

Is it true that the differences in muscles worked with pull ups vs chin ups vs hammer grip is negligible? I'd rather just do the latter two movements since they're harder to get hurt with desu.

Don't do this lol

if you can get access to a pullup bar at your home, do so, and do sets of negatives throughout the day 5-6 days a week (aim to increase descent time, reps, or sets over time)

once you can do real chinups, just do submaximal sets in the same fashion throughout the day a few days week, and you will be able to rep them eventually

also, if you are overweight, just getting leaner will get you there quickest and should be your priority

hanging negative over head press.

>Maximum gains

Can confirm, works

Once you can do 10 start adding weight.

assuming that youre using that same grip width for each, the difference lies only in how the arm flexes, and differences in how the muscles in the back are used are negligible

Once you can do 14 start adding weight.

once you can do 20 start adding weight.

The muscles worked stay relatively the same in all grip instances. The load distribution is what changes.

If you cant do chin ups or have a hard time to begin with, you're pretty far off from worrying about targeting specific muscles based on grip as you wouldn't even know how to focus and activate them in the lift.

Almost everyone tells you to start with whatever grip is easier for you and build from there. This is solid advice and should be followed becuase there's carryover across all grip styles. Once you get to the point where you can do them regularly as a solid contributing accessory lift, then you can start worrying about learning how to activate your different muscles in the lift and how grip variations low you to target certain muscle groups.

Add weight.

youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Check this out (2:10)

Once you can do 16 start adding weight

>Is it true that the differences in muscles worked with pull ups vs chin ups vs hammer grip is negligible?
no it's not true
I can do 10 chinups but can't do any pull ups

You have to push yourself to get more. Always go to failure.

Once you can do 12.5 start adding weight

Now for some legitimate advice.

Add weight to your negatives. Do them slowly. You got it.

>Do them slowly.
Do the negative pull/chin ups in a fast tempo. AlphaDestiny talked about this. When you go slow you fuck up your connective tissue, which leads to injuries down the line. You want to stress your muscles, not the connective tissue.

upper pulleys until you get strong enough
did it for me (from 0 to 15)

once you add weight you can do 15

Lie on your back under a table, pull your chest to the table, repeat until you get 1 rep on pullups

negatives until you can do 1, then do you and do negatives until failure, then do as many as you can until failure and then negatives until failure and so on until you can do 3x10 on your first set, then add weight.

i went from 0 to 3x8 in a few months this way.

1. Fuck negatives.
3. Use a chair to take of some weight and pull.
4. As you get better step on the chair just with the tip of your toes. This forces you to rely on you hands more and more.

With this in mind grease the groove.

I went from 3 with bad form to 10 with good form in a month