What is more important in a fight: height or weight...

What is more important in a fight: height or weight? Fedor has an absolutely average height (not even 6ft) but he beat a lanklet that was twice as big as him (pic related). Was it mostly due to him being pretty heavy in terms of BMI?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H5VeA1SAaBc
youtube.com/watch?v=poiS5RsTObQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's more important is who's the better fighter

Yeah, but why are there weight classes then?

Large head and bones, therefore weight, but better to be taller than 5'10.

This gook was not a real fighter, just a model for promo fights to show how badass are real fighters like Fedor or Crocop.

Weight that's why there are we That classes. Reach doesn't mean much if you can't hurt them

100% weight. Mike Tyson is "a fucking dwarf" in his own words, but he also beat a lot of lanklets in his career because dude was heavy too.

because they want to account for every variable except skill, so no one can bitch about an unfair disadvantage

Hong Man Choi was a lot taller and also 100+lbs heavier than Fedor

Hong Man Choi was not a real fighter, he was a freakshow with no actual skill and no desire to be in the ring, he was just doing it because it paid

this, i can't tell you how many times i've seen some gentle giant, likely from an undiagnosed tumor, be put in the ring against a normal sized man who's a professional fighter. from the outside, it's "fair" but the untrained, insanely poor giant always takes an assbeating. why? because he's fucking poor, and a lot of the guys have kids to support. 90% of the time hey have no desire to fight, and were basically forced into it in order to survive.
what's worse is 5-15 years later, they're so damaged they can't hold a normal manual labor job and in so much pain they become addicts or alcoholics to cope. it's a fucking shame man, these guys throw their bodies and youth away for a worse life in the long run because some promoter offered them a weeks pay for a fight against a dude incomprehensibly better than him at fighting

fpbp.

I've seen guys that look like the hulk get his ass whooped by a scrawny wigger. I've also seen a 6'7 giant get chocked out by a 5'8 buff dude.

All that matters is skill.

the guys who beat him were lanklets who could exploit weaknesses in his style, as well

what's crazy is how much bigger and taller HWs are today, look at someone like anthony joshua or fury, absolute giants

There was nothing confusing about what he wrote.

Fighting skills are more important than either of those things.

>height or weight?
reach.

fucking normies.

eye gouge ftw.

reach this faggot.

*grabs dick*

What are you confused about, retard?

>What is more important in a fight: height or weight?
Neither.

Watch the street fights at the G20 in germany, some are on youtube. Height,w eight, muscle, athleticism - nothing is important. Killer instinct is important.

Also, keep in mind boxing and wrestling are 5000 years old at least and we have weight classes for only 100 years, if that. During the bare knuckle era, we had only light-middle-heavy weight classes and people changed their class all the time.

Tyson raped men up to a foot taller than him.

This is probably the most retarded thing I've ever read on Veeky Forums - you're probably some skinny fat who think he can win any street fight because of his "animal mentality".

Unless you're fighting someone 20 kilograms heavier than you with a higher level of skill, you're going to handle most situations as a intermediate/advanced practitioner of boxing, kickboxing, or muay thai.

>inb4 bro, u don't know how I operate, when it goes down in tha streets I just go blank - I'm a fuckin animal out there bro!
>inb4 bro, it's different in out there in tha streets, there are no rules bro! I would just duck all your fist, knee and elbow combinations, avoid your clinch, and poke your eyes out!

>some skinny fat who think he can win any street fight because of his "animal mentality".
The sides have left.

So what's the best martial art for someone who's slightly retarded? I'm average height. I would like to feel in control of my body more than anything. Maybe I should force myself to do Convict Conditioning I hear that's supposed to help with balance.

Starting Strengt

If I do thai boxing three times a week, how many years will make me "intermediate" ?

This dude knows what he's talking about.

Usually takes half a year before you're clearly better than the people walking into the gym the first time, probably can beat them up. A year and you're probably gonna light up most people.

I'll add to that though that if you wanna be a complete martial artist, and not get fucked up by anyone anymore. Get a blue belt in BJJ, and like a year or two in boxing and MT. The only way people are still gonna be able to beat you up in the streets will be if they're decorated martial artists themselves.

do you think he could beat up this 7'2 guy, assuming that he's not trained in martial arts

>what is a liver

Honestly, it depends where you're training. If you waste your time at the wrong gym, you're probably gonna be even worse off than before.

If your gym has a roster of fighters who actually compete (nationally sanctioned matches, real promotions, fighting records available on the internet, etc.) then you're probably in the right place. It's also important to look into your instructor's lineage; who he's trained under, how many fights/competitions he's won, and which fighters he's trained (if you recognise their names, it's a really good sign).

For example, I train at SRG Muay Thai, under Luis Regis. He has a record of 28 fights, 28 wins, and 14 KO's, plus the titles:

>WORLD CHAMPION – WORLD FIGHT ORGANISATION
>COMMONWEALTH CHAMPION – IKBF
>AUSTRALIAN CHAMPION - WMC
>EAST COAST CHAMPION - IKBF
>NSW CHAMPION - WMC
>REAL HERO AUS VS THAI CHAMPION (AUSTRALIAN TEAM CAPTAIN)

So I knew even before I signed up that he's legit. If you're serious about becoming proficient, you've got to find a trainer with a verifiable record.

But it's important to know that you can't just walk in and ask them to make you into a professional fighter - you've got to train for roughly 3 months as a beginner, 6 months as an intermediate, and another 6 months as an advanced student. Then, if you're lucky, the owner of your gym will tap you on the shoulder and ask if you want to represent them professionally, along with another 12 or so fighters they've already got fighting under them. This is next-level intensity, though. It means training twice a day, six days a week, with a strict meal plan and everything like that in the time before a fight. It's 100% worth it if you enjoy the sport, though.

Good luck brah, starting Muay Thai one and a half years ago was one of the best decisions I've made.

Not him, but yes. One knockout is all you need. And Tyson was the best at it.

The coach is Andre Zeitoun, he formed Lebanner and Skarbowsky if you know them, I'm french so they are more known in France.
I don't think I would want to compete to this lvl, I'll try to do it to see how it is though
Thanks for the tips

probably could fuck a boxer up, but if the guy knows jiu jitsu the giant is fucked, also this guy is strong as fuck too

His head is just as fragile as yours. Big yes.

yeah, but you can't reach his head while he can smash your face in easily

Kek, no.

youtube.com/watch?v=H5VeA1SAaBc

Why are people who knows nothing about something the most outspoken?

This
Weight and height only really come into it in extreme cases, a few extra pounds or inches won't make a difference. What matters is skill/instinct

The reach difference is more insane than the height difference to be honest.

Boxing, but any useful martial art is going to rock your brain and make you even more retarded

At 7'2", his liver would be exposed as fuck. It would take one or two solid combinations to the midsection and his brain would shut down, legs would stop working, standard knockout stuff. A proficient kick boxer would put him in hospital, but Tyson would send that cunt to the Shadow Realm.

>but you can't reach his head while he can smash your face in easily
You are so ignorant, and outright delusional.

if it was a street fight at 7'2 350 that guy could just run straight into tyson and put him to the ground

because tyrell is 6'5 and tyson is 5'8, while the giant is 7'2 and probably weights 300lbs or more, yeah, tyson could win on a boxe match, but on a random fight there is no chance, one kick of this dude must be brutal as fuck

you dont realise how big that guy is
guy in your video is 6'5
guy in this picture on the left is 6'4

>could just run straight into tyson
That's not how anything works.

enjoy being rushed, picked up and slammed down you fucking featherweight lanklet

The point was that Tyson could reach him because the giant would have to bend for any move.

Anyways, he would be dead because of liver.

Kinda depends on his weight division though.

Sure, HW fighters can compete into their 30's - and that's because power is always the last thing to go, but only if they fight smart and don't suffer too many KO's throughout their career. If you put yourself through several consecutive KO's (regardless of the timespan) you're never gonna be the same again.

LHW's are mostly the same, but from MW and downwards things are a bit different. Even if you're only 60 - 80 kg, you're not gonna get damaged on the same level as fighting the 120 kg monsters in the HW division.

Yeah but he's not looking to go pro. Even sparring a couple times a week over the course of a few years is going to have an effect on your brain, your head simply isn't designed to take regular trauma like that

Some of you are absolutely delusional about how hard a professional boxer's punch really is, none the less Tyson's. Those hits are lethal.

nonetheless*

It's not my first language :|

This. Height and weight do play their parts but ate often not the deciding factor. Skill and agression/tenacity wins all. One of my friends growing up was an average built 5'4 Russian/Chinese Mongol rage filled abomination who I watched pound tons of people bigger than him just because every time he fought he just went absolutely fucking berserk and would swing until they dropped or he did.

Tyson was 5'10", and every bit of a lean 220. In his prime he preferred a lower weight because of the speed advantage, but he was easily capable of bulking up to 260. He wasn't your average manlet, and he had a monstrous amount of horsepower to work with because of his natural frame.

Have you seen any of Tyson's fights? You can't catch him off guard like that. If you run at him, he's gonna send you into orbit. There's no way to approach him without presenting either your head or your torso to him on a silver platter - the faster you come at him, the faster the fight ends.

I think you anti-Tyson posters are forgetting that he ran through the HW division like a hot knife through butter. I mean, he was the undisputed champion (unifying three separate belts) at the age of what, 20?

Literally just a couple of punches to his liver.

>timbeeeeerrr

>BJJ blackbelt
>10 years MMA
>have fought pro at 170
>5'10

Height doesn't mean a whole lot. For one thing, it doesn't usually translate to a reach advantage: I usually had a reach advantage, even over guys who were 6' plus.
Punching up, within reason, isn't a problem. Your jab becomes almost like a semi-uppercut and you want the chin anyway. I think it's harder to guard against someone punching up but others might disagree.
Lanklets *do* tend to have longer legs, which sometimes makes it harder to open/pass their guard (depends how good they are). They also have a weaker base though...
Lanklets also tend to be 'slower'. By that, I don't mean they're actually slow: I'm talking about range of motion. They have to move their body through more space to change position or strike, and their 'length' gives you more to grab onto. Also, consider the difficulties a lanklet will have in getting into a good defensive or offensive deep-half position, for example...they can't 'hide'.
If they *do* have long limbs...well, length is leverage. It's a whole lot easier to snap a long limb than a short one.
In sanctioned fights i.e. with weight classes, taller usually means weaker, but let's ignore that and just consider real fights.
Weight is *always* a bigger factor. Armchair commentators will never understand just how exhausting it is to be stuck on the bottom of side-control, or how much an escape attempt takes out of you. There's no such thing as rest on bottom.
Weight is momentum. Even a little extra weight can be the difference between knock-out power and not.

It's a no-brainer. We have weight-classes for a reason. We don't have 'height-classes'. If any user on this thread has argued otherwise, they're listless virgins who've never been in a fight in their lives.

>There's no way to approach him without presenting either your head or your torso to him on a silver platter
/debate

This. Everyone ITT needs to clench their jaw and gently (but firmly) tap their chin four times. Notice how it rattles your fucking brain? Then punch your open hand with your dominant fist with a bit more strength than you used before. It doesn't hurt that bad, right? Try doing that four times again to your chin again.

Now imagine Tyson hitting you with a four punch combination. You would literally die.

Height != reach
Look at some fighter stats on Sherdog if you need convincing. Taller usually means longer legs. The variance in torso/arm length is less pronounced.

>guy could just run straight into tyson

>guy could just run straight into tyson

yeah i know tyson is a monster and one of the best fighters in history of fights, but if the 7'2 guy at 350lbs isn't a complete noob, he could win, if this guy kicks you there is no way he can't reach you, his legs are at almost 4 feet big and imagine a guy that big kicking you in the ribs or in the face, there is no way you won't drop

Overeem (the guy on the left) is probably the best striker that the UFC has ever seen, regardless of weight division. He's a K1 champion turned MMA champion. They had to change the rules of international kickboxing because Overeem kept grabbing his opponents by the back of their necks and kneeing them in the head. If anything, he would annihilate the 7'2" guy even faster than Tyson.

Oh, and for reference, another K1 champion was Mark Hunt - who stands at 5'10" like Tyson, with a similar build too. He would fuck the tall guy up just as easily.

You fail to realise how fast Tyson is. Look how he dodges Tyrell's punches, and those are fast.

How do I into that mode?

Yeah this is a good post.

Sure being willing to be violent is good and all. But an edgy chubby teenager might WANT to hurt someone as much as possible, but when they deliver a shitty hook with obvious windup, it will be blocked by someone with experience, good reflexes, and strong muscles.

Been in 3 scraps in Northern Ireland and more than I can count in Wales. Height and weight both count, and so does technique. Experience >>> all. Try fighting a tough old guy, see how far you get. He will push your shit in.

He doesn't even know how to kick, they would be incredibly weak relative to his size. And the exposure......

heh

Even if he's vaguely familiar with combat sports, Tyson would still win. There's a big skill gap between amateur fighters, professional fighters, and elite fighters. Sure, he'd likely murder anyone but the best of the best of the best, but those who remain, like Tyson, Overeem and Hunt, would KO him in seconds.

We've seen Hunt, who's 5'10" (and probably the least skilled of those I mentioned) literally break the jaw of Stefan Struve, who's 7' tall and had previously beaten Stipe Miocic (the current UFC HW champion).

so tyson fight 1 ton silverback a gorilla and win right?
he already lost couple times, so it would be impossible for him to lose to a guy that is 100lbs heavier than him and 1'3 taller than him, specially if he knows how to fight

With legs that big, every kick he attempts would be telegraphed. Tyson, with his speed, could side-step almost everything he throws.

The only exception would be a spinning heel kick, but that would involve presenting the back of his head to Tyson, and if it were a street fight, doing something like that is literal certain death. I don't mean hitting his head on the concrete, either - it would be the punch alone that does it.

No human that has, could, or ever will exist could beat a gorilla. And that's for the same reason that Tyson was so invincible in the 80's - next level speed, strength and ferocity.

>there are people in this thread that unironically thinks that the mountain's muscles works like some kind of protective armor and that it will make punches from professional fighters less painful

>He doesn't even know how to kick, they would be incredibly weak relative to his size.
yeah, you know this dude right? i also implied that he would know how to fight, and tall, heavy and muscular people aren't weak relative to their size lol tell that to brian shaw lol

Everyone ITT should do this.

Whoa i felt woozy for a second

Fun fact: back in the day, when Tyson hadn't chilled out and was actually insane, his dream was to punch someone so hard in the ring thay they'd die. He'd fucking train for that goal.

Reach and flexibility

i really hope you're trolling

before he fought fedor in MMA he won a k-1 GP and beat Semmy Schilt

see:

>muscles works like some kind of protective armor and that it will make punches from professional fighters less painful
are you trying to say that if you punch the mountain and some ottermode guy in the same spot on their body the effect will be the same?
sometimes this board is more retarded than /b

A punch to the liver would literally be the same. Maybe, just maybe a third punch for the mountain.

Not him, but the difference is insignificant.

>he can smash your face in easily
Mine, maybe. A professional boxer? Hell no.

Only message from someone actually knowing their shit
>0 replies
Starting MMA fat and losing weight, I never imagined how being against someone heavier is a pain. Yeah surely it's not automatic but god damn you feel it when the guy in front of you has 20kg more than you

I found reach to be much more painful than weight.

So, let's assume a powerlifter, strong and heavy fight a lightweight boxer. Would the PLer still stands a chance ?

Dunno frankly. I have a short reach for my height, but I can work around that, even during striking only (I have a savate/boxing background), but when I shed my weight it was much harder to spar with my heavier friend

He needs some form of training.

now imagine a punch from the mountain against anyone? a real propper punch

having a strong neck protects you from punches to the face

look at boxers training and they all do a lot of neck work

you all must be retarded

>you all must be retarded
Oh the sweet irony.

>Was it mostly due to him being pretty heavy in terms of BMI?
No you fucking moron, it was because he literally fucked him over by trapping him in an ARM BAR

Did you even watch the fight?

Here's the closest you're going to get

former world's strongest man mariusz pudzianowski getting a clean punch in on one of the famous gracie family

youtube.com/watch?v=poiS5RsTObQ

ahh yes guess you know better than the entire fighting industry and in fact having a stronger neck has no benefit whatsoever

It would hurt, but can't even be compared to a professional boxer's punch. We're literally talking day and night, mate.

>ahh yes guess you know better than the entire fighting industry and in fact having a stronger neck has no benefit whatsoever
That's not what either he or I said. We're not arguing the same thing.

honestly it probably would be just as powerful as a professional boxers punch

it's just that if you actually put him in a boxing ring with a boxer he wouldn't be able to land one

I get the feeling OP is a fat guy trying to convince himself he'd have an advantage in a fight from being fat.

>it probably would be just as powerful as a professional boxers punch
hahahahahahaha

>honestly it probably would be just as powerful as a professional boxers punch
No.

Yeees :D