/run/ - Share achieved goals edition

Last running thread hit the bump limit so here's a new one.

>Been running 1.5 miles year and a bit, started at 15 minutes
>Ran 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes in rain snow or 20 below zero
>Today I hit my goal of 8 minutes 30 seconds

I binged on some chocolate when I got home. Now I'm pumped for tomorrows run.

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How do you guys feel about only doing interval/sprint training? I just want to go fast

I run with old shitty worn out shoes on trail , I think i'd be able to do an accurate map of all the smalls rocks and pebbles on my path but It don't bother me , I have huge fucking callouses of steel under my feet , I only to Botf running , should I bother with new shoes ?

It's not a meme but it's not the best. If you wanna increase speed do lots of squats and cleans.

I kept my shity trail shoes for a month or 2 to long after the snow melted this year and started getting knee problems(all better now)

So even if it feels ok to run with it it may actually be causing damage ?

yeah in my case the cushining was fucked in a way that caused my feet to turn slightly inwards I didnt notice this till I started running in new pair and it felt them pushing back stoping my foot from doing that wierd turn ive gotten used to

>*I felt

Not necessarily, knee pain has several causes like tightness of the IB bands and Quads, poor form or too high a mileage. Shoes are important but not the only thing to pay attention to.

>Weigh 95 kg 1 january
>Set goal to finish a 50k 1 july
>Lose 15kg
>Run 10km under 50
>Run two half marathons
>Actually finish 50k in 23+ Celsius

The sun really hit me hard. 7 hours 30 minutes for what I expected would be 6 hours 30 minutes.

Honestly though, there isn't a single race or distance I'm afraid of now. It's just pure will.

Just learn to listen to your body. There is a distinct difference between pain and aches. Aches is pretty common for runners, it's just one of those thing you live with while running distances, and partially one of the things that increases your mental fortitude. I've yet to see an interview with a professional runner that hasn't talked about enduring aches.

Pain however, watch out for that, stop running when you feel it and rest, figure out why you get pain.

>Just learn to listen to your body.
>you should do a thing that has a good chance of damaging you untill it hurts instead of not doing a thing that has a good chance of damaging you

t. 300 pound "power lifter"

Any IronMan competitiors? I know this running thread, but to me its related, I'm learning how to cycle 40km+ drop bike and start running, its a tough process tho.

Finally been going to the gym for 6 weeks and started meditating. Hopefully it sticks this time.

Gotta work on form though.

what's a realistic 5k time with a year of running training?

been lifting for a few years now and doing moderate cardio but want to get into running

Assuming you're training specifically for a 5k, sub-20 if you're a boi, sub-22 if you're a grill.

Threadly reminder
strava.com/clubs/fitizens
Also, if admin is reading this, please change leaderboards to run only.

Anywhere between 35 - 20 minutes.

I started running a few months ago. I went from doing zero cardio for several years to 5k in 25 minutes within two weeks of training.

I suggest you run 5k as often as possible (7 days a week if you can manage it) - you'll be surprised how fast you whittle down your times once you've got the distance down.

What apps do you guys use (if you use one). Runkeeper? Nike running? Something else?

Doing only that is a meme. You need to mix up your workouts, a little bit of both

Nike run

But will be switching for Garmin App when my watches come after paycheck

Strava

mentioned I had rotator cuff issue this morning. Been to see another doctor who actually confirmed bicep tendonitis. How fucked am I? Looks like Im running 7 days a week now for the next 6 weeks

The first time I really lost weight I did it by getting turbo hardcore into running. Went from couch to 10K in about 8 months. I was about 180 pounds when I started running. I fucking LOVED running.

Now I'm 220 and have been plateaued for most of the summer. I want to get back into it but I know I risk knee damage/shin splints from my weight. At what weight should I hit the pavement again?

I know the obvious answer is "I don't know dude, just try and see if it hurts" but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Start by walking every day.
If you dont think it's intense enough find the highest hill, 50-100 meters in alt should do enough, and walk up and down.

After 30 days of that you'll ready for your first 2k-5k run depending on weight.

Also during the first 30 days i'd recommend a diet variant of Paleo to drop roughly 10-20 pounds.

go on a strict diet for a while or exercise bike at gym to lose first stone.

Also, I did a 30 day diet consisting purely of chicken and broccoli and lost roughly 20 pounds. Lost a lot muscles but I wanted to lose weight more, so it's fully possible.

I'm this guy.

I'm this dude Thanks for the responses. I really should implement walking first. I don't walk very much when I'm home from Uni.

I have lost about 60 pounds since I started weight loss through diet mostly. Some lifting this summer and I've started cardio biking at the end of a lifting session. I just started eating in keto style so hopefully that will plateau bust my shit up.

I can't wait to get back to running dudes. I never felt so empowered in my life than when I got up and crushed a 5k before school.

Thanks dudes, I will start walking.

Also find a race or a goal so you will have a deadline. It will help, especially if you visualize it.

What I did was basically create a picture of a guy finishing a 50k race, then I wrote the name of the race on the picture, had it as background on my cellphone, my home laptop and my work station for six months.

And whenever I struggled, before race, during race, that picture is what I though of.

I'm an user on a Mongolian rope braiding so take my adivce with a grain of salt but

If you hit the pavement the odds of permanent life changing injury is high. Diet and non impact cardio down to a non suicidal weight

"ZOMBIES RUN!" I know at least one person will be upset bc "its gimmiky bullshit" but it really is a fun way to increase motivation

Millennials, everything needs to be a video game for you retards

>23C
Is this actually considered warm in other countries? Because that's the max here in Winter and I freeze

>using the picture of a guy instead of a qt ultra runner for inspiration

23C is fucking warm. 10-15C is perfect running temperature. Although I'm sure some people like even lower temps.

>42C outside
>Just finished a 15k run
It really puts things in to perspective user. January it was -30.

this

Im gen Y thank you very much

here it varies from around -20 during the winter to 30 during the summer. And I thought that was already a lot

Global warming man. Shit is whack here yo. Coldest winter and warmest summer in like 80 years. Mainland is shit

I agree with everything this post states.

Hey guys, my goal is to run a marathon. I'm in pretty good shape, I run everyday as well as Lifting and calisthenics. I'm 5'11 140, and I don't really want to lose any weight while I train, because I'm already pretty small as it is. Is there any ad vice you guys would give me to maintain my muscle while preparing for this marathon?
pic related, it's me.

eat more

I live around Latitude 66, so yeah. It is considered warm.

Eat and recover more if you workout more, simple as that

It's 21 here today and that's considered really hot. I run shirtless if it's over 20

Any good documentaries on running? I'm looking for recommendations

The barkleys marathons one is pretty good

daily reminder that any form of running other than sprints is for girls

>morning running with heavy rain

Is there a better feeling in life?

>wake up
>rain just stopped
>open door
>humidity hits you
>die
I have the worst fucking timing. I was actually excited to run today. Now it's going to be awful.

>getting buthurt over what is basicly I running themed audio book you listen to on runs

>running listening to anything at all

This

Enjoy your shitty form

wtf 23C is short shorts hope it doesnt get hotter weather for running

Fucking fogies

You definitely need to have long easy runs, just keeps the legs ticking over. Variety is the spice of life

>being unable to control form when listening to music
lmao

Track speed work tonight boys, kill me now.

>thought my blisters were healed enough to go for a run
>they weren't
>4.5 miles later
So long, bloody socks. I'll remember your sacrifice.

I like running. So bump.

Needed more tape

I thought I had enough tape.
Just ended up with bloody tape.

Sprinting is equally important if not more than lifting

Track done, calves on fire. Good night /run/

Actually watched that one, pretty good!

Now that I've lost weight from about 100kg to around 80kg, and have been walking, now is a good time to start running and sprinting. For health and fitness reasons I'd like to be able to run 10kg or so. But I'd play to play either rugby or gridiron next year, so I'll need to get faster. What do you guys think if I focus on bring able to do 10km 3 or 4 times a week and then add on sprint work to that as well? (I'm lifting full body 3 times a week as well)

Take it easy. Don't start running 10k a few times a week, work towards doing so. Start by doing it once a week of you feel confortable, and then gradually increase it if you feel fit to do so

Yeah, that's what I meant, work to 10km 3 times a week, then add sprints. Probably did not make that clear.

Not enough variety, doesn't confuse the muscle enough.

I could run it in 23-24 minutes after about a year of running ~3 5Ks a week, but I pretty much plateaued there. If you wanna get faster, you need to do different types of running in your training.

>not being able to run at least 5 kilometres without stopping
manly indeed

hi guys newbie runner here with simple question
in trying to extend my distance is it better to run only as far as i can do so uninterrupted or if i want to run a longer distance should i run it even if i need to take a breather in between and keep doing so until i no longer need that break?

i don't know if i worded that right

when you post your times, do you post average times or personal bests

I guess it depends where you're at. If you can't even run 5k yet, then do c25k. Past that, just increase slowly the distance per week. Don't try to do too much. And if you feel like you need a break, it just means you should run slower.

So to answer your question, uninterrupted I guess, but make sure you're pacing yourself properly.

It's always implied to be the personal best unless specified otherwise.

what's the wieght limit before running can fuck up your knees?
I'm 186 lb and bulking right now, but I want to add some cardio.
I wanted to run but after reading through the thread it seems there is some cut off point in which running can fuck you up and I have some minor knee problems because lol genetics.

Is running just not for me?

Shin splints are fucking annoying as fuck and they can just ambush you, dude. New shoes.

Just pay attention to how your feet actually strike, how your body actually feels (aches vs. real pain) and don't just wake up and run 10k one day never having run before

I am 250 lbs and overweight but I ran my first two kilometers today. Thank you all so much.

Your first 5k will be here in no time, user

It felt like fucking heroin achieving my goal. This is best feeling in world. You all guys are best friends

trying to break 20 minute 5k any tips?

Run more. That's not a challenging pace so it shouldn't be so hard if you got 3 or 4 times a week.

So, what's everyone running today? I'm having a recovery day today. Might for a light jog to the gym but that's about it, don't want to risk injuring those knees

Best running shoe for a guy who weighs 220?

Also has anyone ever used a running coach? Thinking about hiring one for a few sessions to work on my form since I've never been a runner...

4min a k is challenging for most runners user. I run it sub 17, but I appreciate that most people will find 4/sub 4 min a k for 5k impossible

Hit the track preferably and do some intervals until you want to die, 4 x 1mile 10 min intervals (run a mile fast as you can, have rest of the 10 min to recover, go again). Mix it up too, one week do 8 x 500m 3 min intervals and so on. It's a tough barrier to break, as much mental as anything

Is there a piece of advice you could give that helped you to increase your KM time or is it just constant training that will get you there?

As per mix up training, add hill work and speed intervals. It will come and cheesy as it sounds visualise and believe you can do it, it's part mental

>Thing is fun
>Old wrinkly fag: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Like clockwork.

Who else has no self control? I'm gonna to run it off.

I aspire to not be able to run at least 5 kilometers without stopping

Approx 1kcal per kilo of weight per kilometres run just FYI user, best get out and do a marathon

cummed, kept going till it hurt, cummed twice without stopping

Do you guys take anything before a run?

I take caffeine, 300mg and then another 100mg half way through.

I use a app on my phone to track all that. I pulled my knee like 3miles in though. I think I'm just gonna skip eating tomorrow

Going for a 5km run later in the day, last time I ran it with a 4:44min/km tempo.
Going to try sub 4:40 today!