The body always prioritizes burning fat over muscle

>the body always prioritizes burning fat over muscle
>dumbasses think you can lose muscle while doing a cut

You might not GAIN muscle due to an overall lack of energy for your daily activities, but you won't lose it. Your body will eat away ALL the fat first before it starts eating muscle. That's what happens when you starve.

Other urls found in this thread:

europepmc.org/abstract/med/8130813
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>calls it bait
>bumps the thread
well meme'd good sir

I've never understood why people think that when your body is low on energy it would start eating your muscles instead of oh, I don't know, your energy reserves?

Muscle mass takes more energy to keep up compared with fat reserves so it goes for that first

As long as you have the reserves it is better to consume the consumer. Lowest amount of energy consumer equals even longer energy reserve.

Its always a combination of both. Your body can only utilise fat at a certain speed. When fat reserves get lower the ratio will become less biased towards fat.

Ie someone at 15%bf going on a fast will more likely lose some muscle along with the fat than someone of 30%.

You should cut at the 500kcal below tdee to avoid losing too much muscle. There's a reason everyone is suggesting that, there has been lots of research around this subject.

When I was sick last Christmas I was bedridden and too depressed to eat. I lost 12 lbs in two weeks but it was my muscle. I was a dress size smaller (my leg muscles have always made skinny jeans impossible) but with zero definition, just squish. Skinny fat. Oddly enough when I was starving on a very physical job because I was waiting for the first pay check, I lost 17lbs and kept the muscle for once, but lost 2 cup sizes.

It seems when you are inactive and not eating much the muscle goes first, but when you are actively using the muscles, even when living on a slice of bread a day, you can keep the gains, but might lose fat in places you wanted to keep it...

what if he saged it
well newfag'd sire

Actually if the fast is not too prolonged and you have decent fat stores your body will burn less protein for energy than on a cal restricted diet that has a normal amount of carbs

People who think that you cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time are those who refuse to think in anything other than calories in and calories out despite that having nothing to do with this.

Understand that calories from proteins and calories from fats and carbs are used for different things. It is entirely possible to get enough grams-calories of proteins to gain muscle and stay at a deficit in carbs/fats enough to lose body fat. You could argue that when there is a deficit of energy the body will go for the fat reserves but also for muscle too, but that is entirely dependent on how much insuline you have in your bloodstream preventing your body to access the energy stored in fat.

Caloric deficit does not imply proteinic deficit. The gross of people who claims you cannot do muscle gain and fat loss at the same time are generally 1) uninformed bodybuilders that focus entirely on lifting and are too lazy to actually fix their diet and jump on the first pseudo-excuse that sounds plausible and 2) other uninformed people in general who follow their advice and defend them out of group identification, not because it is objectively true.

And no, posting pictures of your 'successful' bulk&cut doesn't disprove this, since there is no proof that increasing your body fat helped building muscle, you have gotten stronger DESPITE overeating, not thanks to it. You could have skipped the whole thing and looked good since the beginning, not after months later of getting fat and dieting for nothing.

Yeah this is true and its not even that difficult.
All you have to do is either keto and carbload abit just before working out, or even better IF where you fast for 20-24 hrs before the workout and then break your fast afterwards

Most people don't claim you cnt build muscle while cutting. Most people claim that you can only build very small amounts of muscle while cutting especialy when reaching the upper limits of ur body.

The more muscle you have the more difficult it becomes which is why alot of the experienced guys used cycles because it is extreamly hard for them to gain muscle on a cut.

Its a half truth yes you can build muscle on a cut but when you have been lifting for a few years the amount of muscle you gain is so negleglagble it isnt worth counting it.

>or even better IF where you fast for 20-24 hrs before the workout
user, are you kidding me, right? Normal IF is like 16:8, that is a daily fast and can't do that every day. One Meal Per Day is difficult for most to do.

But yes, muscle consumption is significantly prevented by less meals frequency and low carb diets. That's why in the last years these diets have boomed so much in popularity despite the mainstream nutritionist establishment being against them all, mouth to mouth is how you actually find things that work, experts often can be bullshitting you for many reasons or have a vested interest in feeding you lies if their jobs depend on it. Many things endorsed by academians are a fucking joke.

Gluconeogenesis wants to have a word with you.

Although this is true, this is why cuts are recommended not to be more than 500kcal below TDEE, so you can lose body fat without affecting muscle enough for it to hinder your progress. Of course reducing your kcal intake like in one of these desperate diets fatties do to a few hundred per day when starting strength training will fuck you up and prevent you from gaining mass, but light deficits aren't really a problem.

The reason for the misunderstanding is just that for some reason it has all become a heated hairsplitting argument in the community that tragically fools newbies and less than professional lifters who shouldn't have to consider any of this to think it's normal to get fat when training for strength. And the result is you have those people working their asses off at the gym to look like shit at most a couple months a year after their cut and then go back again to pigging of calories.

This stuff has too much nuance to bother with, unless you're gonna try becoming a professional powerlifter people should work on their bodyfat percentage and muscle mass goals at the same time.

I didnt say you do that every day, only before a big workout. Mostly because 24 hours is ~ when you get that big HGH spike

Depends on if you're lifting or not, as well as how much you're cutting.

Whatever you think is logical or whatever is irrelevant. Biology is complex and empirical evidence is the only useful tool.
Here's a paper about the difference in muscle loss while dieting (which is fact no matter what you do) when coupled with excercise vs without
europepmc.org/abstract/med/8130813

Well, that would be very useful for powerlifters and strength training in general, my point of view was aimed towards people who exercise every day. If you have a 'big workout' twice or thrice per week then of course OMAD becomes more feasible.

In fact I remember reading somewhere that many professional athletes are racking in on the benefits of that, advised by their sports medics to enhance their performance. Of course you can wait years or decades before that stuff becomes accepted mainstream, if ever.

Because huge muscles require exorbitant amounts of energy, and your body thinks you're starving and won't be able to get the required energy so it breaks the muscles down.

Our bodies require fat to survive/function on the daily- if your poorly thought out theory was true, the human race would be died a long time ago. Go eat 500 cal a day for a few months and see what happens moron

You don't think the body considers the tissue that allows it to move, forage, hunt, and travel for food reserved as an energy source for dire emergencies? Like when it can't get enough from body fat?

Now, if you're fasted and taking in no amino acids, yes - you will start catabolizing some protein to cover the EAA needs of the body, but it's still relatively minor. If you're getting enough aminos to maintain an appropriate nitrogen balance you won't catabolize anything until body fat is too low to make up the energy difference.

yup, that's kinda what I was thinking,
although one meal a day has actually become harder than in the beginning just because I cant eat as much anymore since I have been doing IF for over 4 months now, so I usually have a small meal right after the workout and then a big one like 40min-1h after

what is your logic here? if you do that for a long period of time you will starve unless obese.

A

>dip derp hurple furp

Yeah, and if you do that correctly it's called a protein sparing modified fast and gets people shredded as fuck quickly with very minimal muscle wasting.

I cant believe I knew all of these before people even called it OMAD. The first time I noticed this shit was when I was doing pool work.

>too depressed to eat
D
R
A
M
A

Q
U
E
E
N