Anyone else had upper back/neck pain from OHP? What did you do and did it go away?

Anyone else had upper back/neck pain from OHP? What did you do and did it go away?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wol7Hko8RhY
youtube.com/watch?v=PJX1CyjbMic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Once did fucked up ROM and sort of stiffened neck muscless at the top, had a neckpain for a few days whenever I twisted my head to the side or looked down.. Put the OHP on hold for about the week, deloaded to 60% and spend next two weeks executing the most proper form possible with slight increase ever workout. Jumped back on and my lifts skyrocketed.

Brace your core!!!

Been having lower back pain from OHP for a week and no signs of it going away. wat do

>don't do OHP for a while
>deload
>execute proper form while slowly loading

BAM. No pain, proper ROM and heavier lifts. Jesus nigger it's simple as that. The only reason you can get pain from lifts is bad form or ego lifting, which makes you lift with a bad form in a first place.

you stretched your neck forward too much on the lockout

itll heal in 2-3 days

It usually happens if I'm rushing a rep and let it drop uncontrolled as I lower it, sometimes I'll kinda drop it the last 3 or so inches and then use the bounce to get the bar up and through the sticking point faster. That's usually when I wake up with a sore neck/trap area the next day.

I'm pretty sure I arch my back a shitload during OHP even though I try my hardest to prevent it. I don't want to lower weight since I'm only at 80lbs but it seems that trying to flex my core or some shit isn't helping enough because I'm also trying my hardest to lift the weight and end up arching.

Just started stronglifts. I thought you were supposed to bob your head out of the way like 3 is doing? How the fuck is 5 not busting his nose? Saw one form video where the guy ended every rep like 4.

Try scrape-the-rack presses. These can be done for OHP, bench, incline bench, etc.

Works on strength and stabilizer muscles while also getting rid of potential instability when going up in weights.

Really awesome lift variations that are, in my opinion, superior to traditional press work.

Christian Thibaudeau talks about it in an article or two.

Do you have forward head posture or rounded shoulders?

You need to be setting the neck back, straight up and down and brace by sort of pulling your head back and making a double chin.
This allows you to keep the head and neck locked and gives you the greatest recruitment of your muscles as you can push into the big spread of muscles in your upper back.

I had some pretty shitty neck issues from working out. It was always stiff, always cracking and popping and just felt like an old man neck in general.
Learned to brace it properly and did it in all my lifts. The first workout I actually did some reverse grip curls, neck braced properly and as soon as I racked the bar and turned my head slightly it felt like every muscle in my upper back popped, cracked and relocated to it's proper position... Like some kind of massive chiropractic adjustment.

For the first time in years after that I could move my head and neck freely and comfortably.

It also took care of some shoulder issues because it helps you externally rotate. If you're in the habit of looking up, it pulls the shoulders forwards and comprises their stability which leads to all kinds of issues.

tl;dr brace the neck by pulling the head back as if to make a double chin and maintain that position through the lift.

3 is acceptable form and get off SL asap for your own good

whats wrong with SL?

5x5 progressive overload is a tad overkill. 5/4/3/2/1 is better. Increasing weight on each set while decreasing the reps. This gives you a psychological advantage.

youtu.be/wol7Hko8RhY

i stopped doing ohp. bench press, lateral raises and rows is more than enough delt work.

never gonna make it

None of those on pic related are right, OP.

1. Chest up. Tight abs and quads.
2. Move hips forward, this create tension on the front of your body(abs and quads.
3. Move hips back to neutral position. Use the tension release to push the bar up.
4. Shrug at the end of the push.
5. Lower bar.

By "shrug" does that mean throw your shoulders up or twist your arms out? Because the former wasn't doing anything for me and was sort of hurting my left shoulder and when I saw Ripptoe pull out his pocket skeleton and show the motion, it looked like he was more twisting his shoulder back. I don't know if I'm doing it right, but they haven't been bothering me since. But I'm also doing beginner weight. And they're still killing me.

3 is good form. What the picture means is that the entire move doesn't count as a strict ohp if you do a knee dip.
Mehdi is a hack. Do SS or Phrak's GSLP.

he's right, OHP is primarily a front delt exercise and your front delts are already hit by any horizontal pressing variants you do (assuming you don't train like a pussy and do more than 3x5 for bench)

if you want bang for buck shoulder development, forego additional front delt work like vertical presses or front raises and instead do lateral raises and rear delt raises

Wrong, or at least doesn't work that way for everyone. My bench was (kg) 85 for 3x5 and my OHP was 60 for 3x5 when I moved from SS to TM. I trusted liers like you and neglected my OHP in favor of benching 3x week and doing db press and lat raises for shoulders. I thought what the hell, bench will give me strength and db press with lat raises will take care of stabiliser meme muscles.
Oh, I also did dips 5xF 2x week.
After 3-4 months I stalled on bench so I decided to try OHP again. My bench had gotten to 90 for 5x5 and 105 for 1x5. I thought what the hell, OHP should be at least 70kg 1x5 by now. Wanna know what my 5rm turned out to be? 52.5 kg. And even after weekly linear progression it barely got to 60 for 1x5. Stalled again, implemented monthly progress, now sitting at 55 for 5x5, 45 for 5x10 and 65 for 1x5.

For hypertrophy maybe, but none of them carry over to OHP well at all. If you want a strong OHP, train OHP.

>I don't want to lower weight since I'm only at 80lbs
This is literally ego lifting you fuckin brainlet

my advice was based on the assumption that he's only going for aesthetics, in which case OHP is entirely unnecessary (although you could say the same for any lift)

if you want to be strong at overhead pressing, you probably have to overhead press

FWIW when i dropped OHP in favor of benching 3x a week with more volume, i got a lot bigger and my OHP went up despite not doing it for a while

>although you could say the same for any lift
You saved me the effort. If you're going for purely aesthetics you don't need to touch a free weight ever, but then again literally why not?

desu, the degree of overlap between your chest/tricep primary compound and OHP is what makes it kind of redundant, the case for OHP not being needed for purely aesthetics is a lot stronger than something like bench/bench variants

tightening your core does NOT refer to simply tensing those muscles in your abdominals.

Take a deep breath to your diaphragm. Hold that and your core will naturally tense around it.
Conciously tensing your abdominals will make you LESS stable.

youtube.com/watch?v=PJX1CyjbMic

honestly, you have to really clench your abs, thats probably your issue