Martial Arts Thread

This thread is for the discussion of Martial Arts, experienced and those willing to learn

Have been interested in picking up a martial art. Sitting on the idea of karate (What kind I'm still now sure). Like the idea of self discipline, tradition, and it as an art. But the idea of Boxing also sounds attractive as it doesn't have such a time commitment.

Other urls found in this thread:

teamruntowin.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/pavel-tsatsouline-relax-into-stretching.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=8OI-FTV3-4o
bjjheroes.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=o2VwnBU1-iU&ab_channel=HeavyGzEnt
youtube.com/watch?v=LbhFdjiPe6w&ab_channel=MonkeystealsPeach
youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4&ab_channel=nefiyair
youtube.com/watch?v=m9vGlKuYio8
youtube.com/watch?v=bGIGZmMdrtg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

karate is great if you have a good dojo and you don't actually care much about practical fighting ability

49-1

49-2 in the instant rematch

I just started BJJ; does anyone have any tips which could help a beginner out? Also, can I train BJJ and lift in the gym without overtraining?

When defending:
Framing, and then create space.

When attacking:
Take space and use your weight efficiently.

I've been doing Muay Thai for about 9 months. Hella cardio gains, they drill you with burpess. I've made some chest gains from all the pushups as well

Thoughts on Muay Thai?

Any good stretching routines? Planning to start Muay Thai in a month or two and want to stretch my legs a bit so I would be able to kick high

dont get so attached to one position that when you inevitably lose it, you've got no where to go
let the other guy pass so that you can also train plan B

teamruntowin.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/pavel-tsatsouline-relax-into-stretching.pdf

Very aggressive if taught right and properly. Basically what you want to do if you're looking to fuck up somebody

Do you guys lift and train BJJ and, if so, what is your routine like?

2nd guy, I dont lift

Any fuck with capoeira? Looks fun as hell and spinning seems like a cool trick.

I used to be a gymfag but once I hit bluebelt, I had to cut the gym from 5 times a week to 2 if I am lucky, but I compete so your milage may vary.

muay thai is practical then I guess? I'm planning on starting in the school year, I did karate for 8 years before, and want something pretty different

Should I do boxing or judo? There's a college club nearby that charges $20 a semester but I really want to learn boxing. Unfortunately there's no boxing club at my college but there's a boxing gym nearby that charges $140 monthly. I don't want to be paying that shit as a student but apparently it's really good. Should I just stick with judo?

Keep in mind that cross training is my main goal. Judo and boxing is apparently a god tier combination for self defense. If only there was a combat sambo school nearby that I could go to. Feels bad man.

Is muay Thai plus boxing the best for defending in actual fights?

I studied Shotokan Karate from age 6 to 17 and earned my 1st Dan. I stopped going to the Dojo since then and I've been training solo but I want to start training a new style.
Been considering Taekwondo, Krav Memega or BJJ. Any suggestions?

Extremely sounds like Managerboxing. Fuck that Gym

Yes
Very practical

Thoughts on Boxing + Kick Boxing?

Can anyone go into detail of why Karate is impractical for street fighting.

Done karate for 10 years
its fun, and a good sport, but you dont learn self defense stuff. If somebody comes from behind and bearhugs you, for example, then you're immobilized and theres not much you can do if you only know karate, because thats not a scenario that would happen in sparring.
Its fun in a sports setting, I enjoy it, but learn something else (bjj) if you want to learn self defense.

I've posted this before, but I'll post it again. These are the only sanctioned martial arts if you want to actually know how to fight:

Striking: Boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, and Kyokushin Karate,

Grappling: Judo, Wrestling (Most forms), BJJ, and Sambo.

Anything beyond this list, you should take with a grain of salt. Fort example, some forms of TKD are acceptable. But other than the rare exception, or a certain technique, most "traditional" martial arts are absolute and complete garbage.

Here's a list of things to look out for:

If your gym doesn't spar, it's bullshit. Some gyms say that it's too dangerous to spar with the techniques they teach you. If this were actually the case, they shouldn't be teaching that shit in the first place. Remember what Bas Rutten said: "If you can kill someone with a technique, you can also not kill them."

If your gym has 16 year old black belts walking around, it's bullshit.

If your gym only spars, it's bullshit.

Unless your gym trains specifically for MMA, if your gym does more than two martial arts, it's probably bullshit. I'd be weary even if it's an MMA gym unless it's got a proven record.

If your gym makes you sign a long term contract (Longer than a couple of months), with no other option, it's bullshit.

Anything that has anything to do with Chi or Pressure Points is a 100% guaranteed way of getting the Chi beat out of you in an actual fight.

Finally, use some common sense. Any martial art that purports to teach actual self defense, then proceeds to teach you a flying 360 kick flip or whatever the fuck is bullshit.

Good luck on your martial arts journey. Hopefully you don't fall into bullshit.

Do grappling too.

Stick with Judo. You're still young, so I'm going to assume that you don't want to be getting the brain cells beaten out of you yet. Start striking after at least getting a fundamental understanding in grappling.

Think of it as Pilates because that's all it really is. My BJJ place has a guy that does Capoeira sometimes before my classes, and it literally is just a dance class. I've got nothing against it, and it's pretty fun, but don't expect to learn how to actually fight.

Im going to thailand to train muay thai for 9-12 months. I am currently 250 lbs at 5'9, not a complete fat fuck bcs I have a decent amount of muscle, but I am getting too fat. I will learn the real deal and fight in local fights, will be fun af.

49-1 Pay your taxes!

Don't really care about the practicality, but the art so I decided to go with Karate. With those with experience, how was it? And what type did you learn?

Position before submission. Better positions lead to better submissions.

Depends on how much you're training and lifting. Personally, I tried to train and lift on alternating days and I couldn't do it.

Train in a gi, learning to use the shirt and belt is good if you ever do end up using it to defend yourself

I'm this guy
The style I learned was Shotokan. I recommend it. If you're learning it for the art, then the katas are fun to improve and perfect, and they look good when you've mastered them.
youtube.com/watch?v=8OI-FTV3-4o
Do keep in mind that there is some variance between dojos. One dojo might teach a way to perform a move entirely differently compared to another dojo. For example, in the video above, the backfist at 0:38 he aimed above his head, but at my school I was taught to aim at about eye level.

What about Bullshido?

What did you do in your ten years of Karate? Did it take that long to get your black belt? I heard the average was five years.

there's a local gym that teaches bjj & muay thai, you think it's BS?
They have a big framed picture of Helio & everything, you think they just got from the intenets?

fuck i just joined a MMA gym that has like four different things

it's only month to month though

I started at 6 years of age, so getting a blackbelt at 11 would be silly.
6-12 was children's class. It was more 'dialed-back' so to speak; Katas were looser, sparring was less intense. I was only required to know one kata at a time, and they were rotated through a period of perhaps six months; learning a kata from the beginning to the end, then beginning a new one. At 13 I entered the adult class. The belt test to get in was basically a brown belt test, so I learned all five previous katas (The heians if anyone is interested), and once I passed I also learned Bassai Dai. Throughout the adult class I had to keep all six katas sharp, and after I earned my black belt I also learned Enpi. Sparring also became more intense, as a chest guard was no longer required, and I was sparring with adults.

I plan on learning both, but which should I learn first? Karate or Boxing?

So should it be faster as someone that will start with adult classes?

Yes, it should take ~5 years to earn black belt roughly speaking.

Combat sambo will teach you a lot of things that you'll have already learned through boxing and judo. If your newaza is lacking, do BJJ. Another thing to crosstrain in that would be more helpful would be Muay Thai or TKD (inb4 meme martial art) to be able to kick effectively- the one thing TKD gets right for self defense is kicking.

god damn do I miss BJJ, but the two gyms I attended pushed tournaments heavily where people wouldn't hold back on armbars and kimuras. So many injuries I decided it was smarter to just stop. I just want a BJJ gym where I can go in and roll without being bothered about going to tourneys or feel like I am in a cult when they start talking about students being 'family'. Fucking hated that. I'm paying you fuckers, that's not what family should be.

Muay Thai + Wrestling/Judo/BJJ (some sort of grappling art, those three are the most common)

I can't tell if you're being serious, so I'll just answer seriously. It depends. Normally, they give sample classes for free. Go to one. Check it out. Search the gym up online. Nothing I listed is set in stone. The more red flags the gym hits, the more likely it is that the gym is garbage.

For BJJ, because it's such a young martial art, the instructor should know their lineage. For example, I go to Fabio Clemente's gym in New York. My lineage goes something like this:

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie Sr. > Carlos Gracie Junior > Rigan Machado > Fabio Clemente > Me

If your head instructor claims to have been professional or have won tournaments, it's likely you'll find them here:

bjjheroes.com/

Same advice to you.

Good luck to the both of you.

oops, wrong board, stupid asshole.

time for you to fuck off and get lost, shit head. reminder to sage and report off topic shit posts.

Muay Thai / another form of kickboxing + a grappling art (BJJ or wrestling or Judo) is the most effective and practical combination of any two

Some forms of Karate (mainly Kyokushin) can work but crosstraining in a grappling art is necessary to be well rounded in self defense.

Yeah it's about what I expected, the person got me thinking about it told me about the same. I've seen Mcleperchaun use capoeira kicks in his fights, so that got me interested in it as well. Still doesn't seem very practical though.

Just like with most martial arts, you can take stuff from Capoeira. TKD has great kicks, and Kung Fu has some good striking. Just don't only train it and think you're learning something.

youtube.com/watch?v=o2VwnBU1-iU&ab_channel=HeavyGzEnt

For your consideration.

ok thnx bud

Why does no one talk about Kung Fu :(

they teach you some good basic punching, kicking, and blocking skills. But nearly every martial arts teaches good basics.

Because Kung Fu isn't a martial art, it's the Chinese equivalent of the English word "hobby".

It's shit. Plain and simple. It's so steeped in mysticism that it's pretty much lost all of its practical qualities. Certain forms of Kung Fu are useful, but to separate the wheat from the chaff takes so much effort and time that it's more efficient to just learn something that's proven.

youtube.com/watch?v=LbhFdjiPe6w&ab_channel=MonkeystealsPeach

and

youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4&ab_channel=nefiyair

For your consideration.

Depends on what school you're doing.

And not nearly every martial art teaches good basics. In fact, most teach absolutely atrocious basics.

Thoughts on this video: youtube.com/watch?v=m9vGlKuYio8

>boxing at #9

stopped immediately

It's a fucking meme. Just like the shit martial arts, some of it's useful information, and a lot of it's garbage.

>Boxing and kickboxing at 9 and 8

>Kung Fu at 2

>Traditional Karate is on the list

>Wrestling is not on the list

These are just a few of the things that make me angry.

Is krav maga trash?

I'm trying to decide between Sambo, BJJ, and Muay Thai. The only "martial" art I've ever done was fencing, so I'm basically a complete beginner. Is there one that would be better?

Can you be big and train muay thai? A lot of the fighters are really skinny

In my opinion, BJJ. Since you're a complete beginner, I'm going to assume that you don't want to get your brain cells punched out yet, so start with a grappling art. Of the two you've listed, it's much easier to find at least a decent BJJ gym than a Sambo gym.

It's good if you can find a legit instructor. It just happens that most instructors are not legit.

It's violent in a way that makes it exceptionally difficult to practice, because there's such an emphasis on breaking things. It's basically the exception to the "If the technique is too dangerous to practice, it's stupid" rule. Krav Maga is basically just made up of moves designed to break some part of the body. Maybe it's breaking someone's nose, maybe it's gouging someone's eyes out, maybe it's hitting the solar nerves and causing someone's abdomen to lock. Also the IDF which founded it has basically locked down most of the techniques and viciously protects them, which means that Krav Maga dojos are only ever teaching a watered down version of the martial art.

Thanks for the info user, I like the aggressive fast paced aspect of Muay Thai

You can train in anything no matter your size. It's not like you're ever going to go pro or anything, so you're fine.

Bjj and Muay Thai are the way to go. Bjj helps you control strikers on the ground and negate grappling arts like wrestling and judo. Must Thai's more complex and brutal than boxing, but more well rounded in that you learn to use any part of your body as a striking tool.

Personally I did wrestling first during high school, and picked up bjj in 11th grade. Grandfather was a boxer in Mexico so he trained me since 5th grade. Recently started practing kicks as well

Kick Boxing looks like fun
youtube.com/watch?v=bGIGZmMdrtg

Lmfao he had that coming. If I'm going to take anything to train to actually fight it'd likely be kickboxing and/or bjj

This is why I miss the old UFC. Back when it was actually no holds barred and it was just to see what actually worked. Those were the best days.

Anyone in Georgia know a good boxing Gym?

Best BJJ gym in Phoenix AZ?

>kung fu at #2
Good to see the chinese propaganda bureau is reaching out to youtube

I'm a western style boxer, but i have decent leg movement and situational awareness. Should I work on my boxing abilities or branch off and learn a little more of other styles in case the fight doesn't turn out the way i planned... which in most cases hasn't been a problem, I've been able to armbar someone and didn't take a class. I'm also afraid of someone trying to close the gap one me, which last time a bloke tried, I just leaned forward to counter his weight and shoved a few uppercuts into the diagnol of his head. It seemed to work out.

so you got black belt in 3 years?

>Picking fights with negroes
MuayThai/Kickboxing/Boxing. They don't care about ground fights. You need good striking, if you fuck that up you'll end up on Worldstar compilation fight videos.
>Picking fights with white people
Bjj, wrestling, and some light boxing. The only reason you'll probably ever fight a white person is if they are drunk and mouthing off. Bjj and wrestling since most the time they just end up on the ground.
>Picking fights with mexicans
Muay Thai or Kick boxing. Most of them can't handle kicks or take you to the ground.

For fun and sport
Karate
Kung fu
Taekwando mostly just flash, but people will be impressed.

Great generalisations. 10/10.

Judo, because boxing is more about fucking up your face. Also it's cheaper and if it's in your college you'll meet people your age.

Am jealous. Enjoy your trip!

Just don't fuck ladyboys you'll get aids.

Not sure if this counts, but I want to be a boxer. Any tips?

run x infinity

Before all else: show up. If you don't show up, you don't improve. Your ability to do anything else is predicated on your showing up. You can learn how to do whatever attacks, whatever defenses, whatever stylistic changes you need going from day 1 to day 1,000, but they only happen when you show up 999 times.

Also breathe. No matter who you're against or what position you're in while you're rolling against them, that's going to be important.

Who is bas rutten

> not a manlet
> 200lbs

What fighting sport allow me to avoid brain damages ? I want to get back to boxing but I like to go hard in sparrings.

Read hajime no ippo

Got my black belt at 17
17-13 = 5 years

This.

Here's a tip to identifying a shit martial art or fighting system:

1. They lose virtually every fight against the most common fighting styles used in UFC

2. They mostly avoid such fights, because of bullshit muh tradition or secrecy reasons

3. They sell themselves as practiced by a selected group of people (badass ancient monk-warriors, the special forces of Tajikistan, max security inmates, whatever)

4. Every time they lose a fight, the comments section of the fight's video contains thing like:
>this guy isn't even a real Kung Fu master
>I didn't see any Aikido in this fight! His position is not even right!
>Krav Maga works, but you need the right teacher

Kung Fu hits all four btw.

>10years of karate
>started at 6
>black belt at 17
so you did karate for more than 10years?
>17-13 = 5
plsbjoking

Guys, ex whale here. Lost about 80 pounds lately. I was a rather good Muay thai fighter when i still was a landwhale, switched to crossfit to lose some weight, now i kinda powerbuild. I'm thinking about going back to martial arts, but i don't know, i've practiced muay thai for about 7 years, maybe a different kind of martial art would be better for me?

You believe it should be closer to #1, or do you believe it shouldn't be there at all?

bump

if wanna pick a karate style , i suggest kyukushin its full contact , whithout protection pretty good and its solid for self defence ive been doin it for 5-6 years before i switched to judo because i wanted to round up my game.

takes some real dedication tho, it's one of the most damaging styles for your body
i agree it's probably one of the best, but if you are interested in just amateur level you could probably find safer options

i lift and i train in judo well it depends what you like most if you wanna just train bjj around 3 times a week you can do an upper - lower body split 4 -3 times a week if you want to focus more on bjj you can do full body workout 2 times a week

mostly used to trash in a more impressive way opponents you could already beat in any conventional way
it's for insecure beta cucks

shotokan is shit
learn uechi ryu or kyokushin

>I started at 6 years of age, so getting a blackbelt at 11

you know in japan its perfectly normal for a kid to have a black belt
the black belt just means that you learned all techniques, not that you are a good karateka