Adam ruins Veeky Forums. Adam tackles myth about nutrition

Veeky Forums BTFO

- Low fat foods do not help you lose weight. They often replace fats with lots of sugar
-calorie counting is highly inaccurate. The 2000 a day average is just an average ad people have all kinds of different calorie needs
-packaged food labels can be off by 20% and restaurant food can be off by hundreds of calories
-Fitbit calorie estimates are found to exaggerate calories burned by over 40%
- Extreme weight loss and diet shows are often highly staged. They fatten up contestants prior to their first weigh in and use methods like dehydration to achieve extra loss
-Most people who go on diets regain their weight. Only 1% are able to keep the weight off .
- Many obese people are healthy
-We shouldn't shame obese people because it is mostly genetic

Veeky Forums Btfo!
putlocker.today/watch/vlYm6qVx-adam-ruins-everything-season-2/episode-2.html

Other urls found in this thread:

edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
drcarney.com/blog/entry/low-carb-theory-regarding-meat-insulin-is-flawed
youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow no shit senpai

>TFW part of the 1%

Most people, here at least, already knew the first 5 facts, and we deal with it, always overestimate intake and underestimate output.

>Muh Obese people are healthy

Yeah Right, watch them drinkin DIET COKE and eating FRUITS, counting their caloric intake and shit

>Should'nt shame obese
... KEK

Fuck this show, it's been pure garbage ever since that water episode.

>no shit
>"highly" is exaggerating things, regardless, counting calories forces one to eat in moderation, plus of course you need to figure your tdee
>essentially complaining you have to be smart for yourself and look shit up as opposed to being spoon fed
>wrist sensors are not accurate, what will we do? Surely not what was done for decades before they came around
>weight loss shows are staged, quelle suprise
>most people who go on diets go on retarded water fast diets and/or aren't disciplined enough to stick with it. In other news, water is wet

The last two are absolute bullshit. An obese person is necessarily less healthy than what they would be at a non obese weight. Better joint health, better cardiac health, better everything. It is most certainly not genetic except for a very rare and small group of people. Evolution didn't fucking turn people fat in 50 years. People in the 60s were less obese because they moved more and ate less.

I fucking hate this faggot anyway. He's got a shit haircut, a punchable face, and seems to spout garbage mixed with things that are obviously true. The worst part is that I have to see his ugly fucking face every 15 or so minutes when watching impractical jokers

This faggot is just Penn and Teller crossed with Freakonomics.

The underlying point is the same one that Veeky Forums agrees with, that fad diets and meme products don't work. The rest of the shit is just one-article shit to make fat fucks feel better about themselves.

Disregard.

>Low fat foods do not help you lose weight. They often replace fats with lots of sugar
No shit.
>-calorie counting is highly inaccurate. The 2000 a day average is just an average ad people have all kinds of different calorie needs
No shit
>-packaged food labels can be off by 20% and restaurant food can be off by hundreds of calories
No shit
>-Fitbit calorie estimates are found to exaggerate calories burned by over 40%
No shit
>- Extreme weight loss and diet shows are often highly staged. They fatten up contestants prior to their first weigh in and use methods like dehydration to achieve extra loss
No shit
>-Most people who go on diets regain their weight. Only 1% are able to keep the weight off .
No shit
>- Many obese people are healthy
Bull shit
>-We shouldn't shame obese people because it is mostly genetic
Bull shit on the genetic component. But fat people should be shamed.

Fat is a function of insulin. I can make ANY Veeky Forumsizen fat by giving them insulin shots or sulfonilurea drugs and they will put on fat regardless of calories consumed.

Insulin acts as a traffic cop who keeps energy moving towards glucose storage, preventing it from being metabolized.

Conversely you can give people drugs that lower insulin, they will lose weight irrespective of caloric intake.

Diabulemiacs have known about this ever since insulin was invented for type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetics who want to lose weight simply stop taking their insulin and they lose weight.

Our entire weight loss theory is based off of a misapplied theory of energy which views energy metabolism as a single compartment model. Calories in and calories out. However this is provably falsifiable because insulin is a regulatory hormone.

If you want to lose weight you focus on lowering your insulin. Whether through fasting or carbohydrate reduction.

Caloric reduction results in a lowered metabolic rate that is proven to remain reduced even for months after the calorie restriction is removed.

Adam ruins his own show.

So I guess weight loss is hard and you actually have to put effort in so that is way too much to ask of anyone and we should just stop trying!
Ironic that the fat host is trying to justify his shitty lifestyle.

Huh you are saying I just need to lower my insulin levels?

Cool what's the most efficient way of doing that.

Without going into a full dissertation. The levels of insulin in the blood over a 24 hour period say, determines your "set weight".

Insulin release is more or less triggered by blood sugar levels rising after meals. And the amount of insulin released is proportional to the amount of sugar in the blood.

Another factor to consider is how receptive your cells are to that insulin. A less receptive cell will require more insulin to force that glucose into the cells.

Insulin resistance in people without type 1 diabetes is a function of fat. The fatter you are, the more insulin resistant you are, which means that gram for gram you need to pump out more insulin to shove that glucose into the cells.

Therefore you have two vectors to which control insulin levels in the body.
-Eliminating the trigger for insulin release
-Increasing insulin sensitivity

The trigger for insulin release is the consumption of carbohydrates (and to a lesser degree protein). However you can prevent the release of insulin is an effective management tool for weight loss because when there's no insulin in the body then it is going to be capable of pulling the triglcerides from fat cells for energy through ketone metabolism. It cannot effectively use fat for energy when insulin is present because insulin down-regulates denovolipogeneis.

Effective methods of reducing insulin are significantly reducing carbohydrate intake, intermittant fasting, and plain old water-only fasting for extended periods of time.

As your body consumes it's fat stores your insulin sensitivity increases which further reduces your insulin response to carbohydrates even more.

This is nothing new. We've known about insulin making people fat ever since it's invention when it made people with type-1 diabetes miraculously start putting on weight literally THE VERY SAME day treatment was initiated, sometimes as much as 3-6lbs a day.

Type-1 diabetes is the body's inability to manufacture insulin and no matter how much these people eat the body fat melts right off of them and they soon begin wasting.

Diabulemiacs who don't want to gain weight during a binge eating period simply don't increase their insulin dose to keep blood sugar in check or even reduce insulin injections to keep their weight stable or even lower it during excess coloric intake. (at the risk of too much blood sugar)

If you want to lose weight and keep it off the ONLY thing you need to worry about isn't calories, it isn't exercise, it's all about that insulin. Every dietary choice you make should be
>"How will this impact my insulin levels?"
The net result will be decreased fat levels compared to lean mass.

Don't stop posting.

Oh fuck me I am glad I am not the only one who thought that water episode was retarded.

Good stuff, glad to see people with some sense here. As for the CICO niggers, please start cutting on 1500cals pure sugar and tell me how that goes. Should get you shredded for summer, its only 1500cals after all, right

Obese people aren't healthy

m8 a recent study literally proved that being obese and being healthy by metrics that doctors recognise are mutually exclusive.

I fucking hate to quote CNN but the article orginate from them.

edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

>On his “convenience store diet,” he shed 27 pounds in two months.

>Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub’s pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily.

>His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal.

>He now weighs 174 pounds.

>Haub’s “bad” cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent

>His “good” cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent.

>He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

>Haub’s body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent.

So what happened there ? Did his insulin levels got to a new normal after his metabolic rate caught up to his new regimen ?

How does this pair with cardio? If I'm low sugar and work out intensely, will the pounds fly off?

They keep shilling this show today. No normal user would make so many neatly formatted posts about some random shitty show.

If you run in a fasted state, your body uses the energy from your fat deposits instead of depleting your glucose first.
Yeah you'll burn off more fat when you do fasted cardio. But instead of taking my word or others, there's no harm in trying it for a couple of weeks. See how you like it and decide then.

If I were to cut now and be serious about it, Id
>intermittent fasting, bigger fasting window on non-lifting days
>low carb or keto on non-lifting
>carbs before and after workout
>fasted cardio in the morning on non-lifting days
>veggie smoothies at night

500cal less than TDEE on non-lifting, 500cal more on lifting days. Lets say my TDEE is 2500, then I'll eat 2000 or 3000 cal a day. All within the eating window, of course.

Is it just me or is he not a human Howard the Duck?

>he smashes that

>Veeky Forums
Dead giveaway

>edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
I can't comment on this in detail because I've never read any detailed analysis of his eating habits.

The Chinese and Japanese for centuries long before we were eating refined sugars to excess (at the suggestion of our government) and they never saw any increased rates of obesity.

The thing I'm trying to make clear is that fat retention is a function of insulin. Full stop.

No matter how you reduce your insulin levels you will see a reduction in fat deposition.

If you were to eat all your carbs in an 8 hour window during the day, then your body is still in a fasted state for 16 hours.

The wider your fed state window becomes during the day, the less fasting you have and therefore the higher your insulin levels in a 24 hour period. Which is why the worst advice you can give a fat person is to:
>"just eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day"
These 6 meals keep the insulin levels high enough that the body is incapable of transporting fat OUT of the fat cells for energy. And depending on the research you look at, it takes around 1-2 hours for the body to begin transporting fat out of the cells to burn as energy.

But if you "eat a healthful snack" just as the body decides to start utilizing it's fat then it gets stopped in its tracks by the insulin spike to start shunting glucose into the cells.

With everything I've read I would have no problem getting 60% calories a day from carbohydrates and refined sugars so long as the fasting window was significant enough to bring down the insulin levels throughout the day.

But this just isn't the case for the vast majority of people who feel a bit drowsie at their desk so they go get a soda from the pop machine, or dig into the snack size snickers on the receptionist's desk.

Animal proteins in meat and dairy are just as insulinogenic as carbohydrates though.
And this ignores the role intracelluar lipids (excess fat) plays in disrupting the function of insulin.

-In order to improve insulin resistance , exercise and cardio are really good. Fasting is really good too.
Just losing weight and cutting calories also helps.

fuckoff shill

>she
She looks like an annoying vegan and probably doesn't shave

cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

This guy lost 27 pounds on 1200 calories of twikies.

Well look at these digits

thank you, any reading you'd recommend ?

Once again, Adam using facts to paint a completely incorrect picture

How does this pair with cardio? If I'm low sugar and work out intensely, will the pounds fly off?

It depends and this is a multi-faceted question.

Exercise intensity is a big determinate in deciding where your body will pull the energy from. In addition to this, or rather more importantly, is your aerobic performance.

Despite lifting heavy and being consider 'a big guy' buy all my friends, I run a marathon at the same pace as my runner friend with a lower heart rate than him because i have more aerobic capacity. (Maffetone goes into this in detail in his Big Book of Fitness in great detail)

Because I have a higher aerobic capacity my body can more readily utilize fat for energy in exercise, whereas my friend who runs all.the.fucking.time will bitch about "hitting the wall" halfway through the marathon and have to scarf down gels to keep going.

Secondly. Exercise is a pretty shit way to burn to burn fat. Especially cardiovascular exercise. An hour walk might burn 150 calories, wherein that's only 6% of the tdee for a 2500 diet. You're much better off spending that hour lifting heavy weights to increase your lean mass to increase your resting energy consumption to lose weight.

Gram for gram, protein causes almost the same insulinogenic response as glucose. So by that logic, eating a lot of protein would be shit for weight loss, even though we know that body is terribly inefficient at converting amino acids to adipose tissue, despite it's high insulin response.

Sure, insulin can effect weight gain/loss since you can mess with glucose transportation, but unless you're diabetic or are a normal person willing to fuck with your insulin levels, this is irrelevant for 99% of people. Your insulin levels are going to be normal and the only way you're going to able to manipulate your weight is through how much glucose you're storing which is more or less calories in/calories out unless you're doing some weird diet like all protein or something.

>Animal proteins in meat and dairy are just as insulinogenic as carbohydrates though.
I'd question that. The best indication of insulin response we have for foods is Carbs+.5*protein.

>In order to improve insulin resistance , exercise and cardio are really good. Fasting is really good too.
>Just losing weight and cutting calories also helps.
This is provably false. Insulin resistance is improved by the elimination of fat in the liver and pancreas. Not by the exercise and cardio.

insulin resistance develops over a period of time due to frequent and sustained levels of insulin which in turn make the liver and pancreas fatty and thus resistant to insulin. By eliminating and reducing insulin triggers you give the body time to transport fat for energy which eliminates the cause of insulin resistance.

>Exercise is a pretty shit way to burn fat
compared to what ?

As fucking fatty-genes could survive natural selection.

Fatties don't reproduce.

>- Low fat foods do not help you lose weight. They often replace fats with lots of sugar
>-calorie counting is highly inaccurate. The 2000 a day average is just an average ad people have all kinds of different calorie needs
>-packaged food labels can be off by 20% and restaurant food can be off by hundreds of calories
>- Extreme weight loss and diet shows are often highly staged. They fatten up contestants prior to their first weigh in and use methods like dehydration to achieve extra loss
Yes
>-Most people who go on diets regain their weight. Only 1% are able to keep the weight off
No

Jason Fung has done a great job organizing the evidence in his books and talks in regards to the role of insulin in the obesity epidemic. He's got a 6 part series on youtube that goes through the science and a history of how we got here with obese 6 month old babies.

For exercise Phile Maffetone's Big Book of Fitness should be your bible.

How is Veeky Forums btfo by some herpes ridden faggot pointing shit out that the sticky told me 6 years ago

I don't get it this is all common knowledge here

>compared to what ?
I fucking said so right in that post. Putting that hour into developing lean mass which raises your TDEE instead of just running for an hour once in a while.

Additionally, 24 hours of fasting every other day will do more weight loss than running 6 hours a day. It's literally doing nothing. Not cooking, not eating, not cleaning up, it's nothing and it's better than running.

>[desire to know more intensifies]

He has herpes?

Adam looks like the kind of guy who masturbates with his tears while thinking about his Ex-GF getting railed by her new boyfriend. Who could havr guessed that his message would boil down to

>Lol there's no point in trying to lose fat it can't be done so you should just love yourself for being a failure.

Can't wait for him to come up with an episode about how Muslim refugees will save the west.

What's wrong with fruit

He's in a relationship with Lisa Hanawalt so its actually worse, since he spends his time masturbating while his current gf is getting railed.
I always wondered why he streams vidya so much while she's "horseback riding".

This cunt is clearly a troll. I saw one of his videos where he tells people not to clean their teeth because it hasn't been proven to stop tooth decay.
Believe whatever you want but this show is pure bull shit.

People fail to keep the weight off because they don't get that dieting is something you have to do your whole life. You can't just cut the weight and then go "lol okay now I can eat like I was before"

Adam stop shilling your show on Veeky Forums you faggot, or I'll post your doc. Which honestly, for all your "VPN keeps me safer" bs, was easy to find.

Stop replying to this dumbfuck

>One study that has a sample size of 14 of the most extreme cases

Veeky Forums BTFO

Food doesn't make you fat! People's genetics have just gotten far worse all around the western world in the last 50 years! Africans just have better genetics that make them thinner so long as they stay in Africa!

Cool, I knew about the inefficiency of working out to lose fat pounds. I just have no clue how the body uses the energy in my gut.

>it's hard to estimate and you can't tell for sure ever so don't even try
>most people don't have the discipline to establish a healthy relationship with food so why should you even try
That's such a shitty and demotivating way of putting it. Yeah you can't count calories exactly but being between 1800-2200 is completely different to 3000-3600. Yeah, you can't calculate your TDEE exactly but all calorie calculators you can find are deviating around 300 calories max difference. Yeah most people are lazy pieces of shit who think they can eat like shit after losing 10lbs but are all these facts actually real reasons to give up completely and just accept you're an obese piece of shit who'll likely die 10-30 years younger than your peers most likely from a heart attack or stroke and have to suffer throughout your short life? No, you can try and the only one who can affect how you treat your body is yourself.

Was this projecting: the episode?

Seems like a decent place to ask, does bread and pasta and shit makes you fat? I've got some problems with stomach fat.

Eating more than you expend makes you fat.

Processed foods tend to be less filling and more calorie dense, so it's easier to get fat eating them. Overall though just eat less shit, replace snacks with small amounts of fruit, and start drinking only water. You can lose weight with a diet, but to keep it off you need a new lifestyle. Those lifestyle changes should help you lose weight and keep it off.

Also, spot reduction is a meme. If you want to lose belly fat, you need to lose fat everywhere.

Can tobacco kill you? Yeah. Are you going to die from one cigarette? No.

See what I'm trying to say?

TLDR: don't bother counting calories, it's inaccurate anyway
Sure. It's not like these often inaccurate estimations sum up to an average number of calories that is more or less exactly the amount of calories the package says. What a fucking stupid way of thinking. And of course there's no way to find out your caloric need per day just discard that and be a fat shit. Did this faggot provide an alternative method after spewing this unbelievably retarded diarrhea out of his dick sucking mouth? Guessing no

I'm 5'9 and I weigh about 160 pounds. I wouldn't say I'm fat but this belly shit is really getting on my nerves. My main problem is that I don't burn anything so it's not hard to take in more than I spend. Basically, 3 meals a day is borderline by itself, I don't even snack.

>the biggest loser participants lowered their TDEE by a significant amount
Yeah, but those fat pieces of shit still had a higher metabolism than any normie. 3000-3500kcal TDEE? FFS 3000 calories is a bulk for most people in the fitness game. Fucking eat less fatties

Would drinking a diet soda give you an insulin response?

>obese people can be healthy
Show me a fat 80 year old. I'll wait.

He already had an episode where he said Mexican illegal immigrants shouldn't be deported.

>3 meals a day

You can cut out a meal if you really want to lose weight. Sounds like you just don't really want to lose weight

Fucking retard

Holy shit, someone on fit that isn't retarded? You must be new here, run while you still can

He had an expert go the muh genetics route. What do think?

>- Low fat foods do not help you lose weight. They often replace fats with lots of sugar
So eat less of it.
So eat less if you have a lower TDEE than average.
So eat less of it.
So eat less.
Okay.
>-Most people who go on diets regain their weight. Only 1% are able to keep the weight off .
Eat less forever.
Okay but if you want to look less obese you need to eat less.
If you genetically have a lower TDEE then you need to eat less.
If you have a thyroid condition that lowers your TDEE then you need to eat less.
If you take a medication that lowers your TDEE then you need to eat less.
If you genetically have a higher appetite then average then too bad eat less.

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
drcarney.com/blog/entry/low-carb-theory-regarding-meat-insulin-is-flawed
An "Insulin Index of Foods" was published in 1997 which listed 38 foods that produced higher insulin levels. This study and subsequent studies showed that any type of meat (beef, chicken, and pork) produced substantial insulin secretion. "In fact meat protein causes as much insulin release as pure sugar." Meat raised insulin levels higher than a large apple, a cup of oatmeal, a cup and a half of white flour pasta.

verified pseud

>me farted
Damn, that shirt should say
>I've been shitted

Yes

Correct. But making people aware that food is energy instead of just something fun to play with or a drug will force them to take responsibility and help them open their eyes.
And them realizing that energy expenditure aka "losing weight" or gaining weight has more to do with your day to day activity and food input rather then the time spent in a gym.

Yes. Which is why nearly everyone suggests cooking your own meals.
Besides it's a close enough estimation and the body nor is food perfectly measured 100% of the time.

No calorie counters of the type aren't even 50% accurate. It's just a way to give people a VERY rough guesstimate and be a mystical numberish way to judge rate of exertion or act as a carrot to get them to do more exercise or more intense exercise

Yes.
And unbelievably dangerous drugs and pushing their NEAT levels to 8k and above with activity and heavy exercise and their diets down into the toilets.

Actually no. The people who are successful? You never hear about them. The people who aren't? The make a big fucking deal about it.
Plus people who claim they are on a diet are oft just fat people who starve themselves for a few days call it a diet and say that diets don't work when they rubber band back and go back to their eating. Guilt free and sure that they can't change.

They are. But the thing is they are healthy for a very very short period of time.
When the piper comes to collect he's taking fucking everything.
Meaning that when they inevitably break down decades before their normal weight peers they're going to be completely fucked. And that's a fact.

Yeah, they are obese for so long that it changes their very DNA and they will always have the fatcells and be an obese person no matter what.
They could have changed this by not being fat as shit and eating less and moving more. But they decided not too.
That sucks, but it's perfectly fair. We all have to deal with our own shit.
Good news is that if they get down to a normal weight and maintain it for at least 2 years some of the damage can be undone and even reversed. But the long term damage from being so heavy for so much of their lives is...well it's just there. they can't

>Calories in and calories out. However this is provably falsifiable because insulin is a regulatory hormone.

no fat prisoners in Belsen, my young and impressionable friend.

check and mate, you're done

did you just use 700 words to tell Veeky Forums that ketosis causes rapid weight loss?

holllly fuuuuuckkkkking SHIT Batman! stop the fuckin' presses, you've got to tell this undiscovered truth to the world!

Jason Fung. Okay, lets look at a video by him. The calorie deception, sounds promising.

youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U

For a while he talks about immediate causes vs root causes, eg, it's not that alcoholics drink too much alcohol, it's that they have mental issues which cause them to want to drink too heavily.

And in the very first example we run into bullshit. There are alcoholics who are "party" types who just enjoy drinking and getting drunk, and there are people who suffer from mental trauma who do not become alcoholics. The cure to it is really simple, stop drinking so much. If there is a reason why you are drinking too much, address that issue.

Around 15 minutes in, we go on an adventure of some study where the subjects reduced caloric intake by 30%, and noted a 30% decrease in energy expenditure. While also losing weight. And even though Mr Fung says they were not in "starvation mode" pictures show emaciated skeletal figures experiencing weight loss at bf% in the low digits approximating 0%.

That's about as far as I've gotten here. Basically you have to be a fucking moron to believe this nonsense, if you are overweight reduce caloric intake while eating a balanced diet filled with proteins and unprocessed sugars. Do cardio for cardiovascular health and lift weights to help maintain lean body mass as your body breaks down cells to burn for the energy it needs.

Don't fall for fads!

Holy shit, 21 minutes in and this hack just posted a picture that personal choice does not lead to too many calories.

I'm sure it was a hormonal imbalance that made me decide that I wanted to eat pizza and cookies everyday twice a day for a year that has caused weight gain, not the fact that I got tired of healthy food eaten in moderation.

And I read a post here I missed that eating small meals often will mean that you never lose weight since you have too much insulin? How many people here have fucking done just that? Eaten 6 small meals at around 2000 calories or so including das ebil carbs like a banana, and have lost fucking weight?

Yeah, I'm mad. GTFO of Veeky Forums.