Is doing archery with heavy bow poundage (say 60-100lb) a fast and awesome way to strengthen back muscles?

Is doing archery with heavy bow poundage (say 60-100lb) a fast and awesome way to strengthen back muscles?
Pic semi related

Other urls found in this thread:

theglyptodon.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/the-archers-bones/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It will develop one side of your body totally out of proportion unless you're ambidextrous.

no
/thread

Oh. What if I force myself to be ambidextrous?
Did longbowmen historically look like disproportionate freaks then?

idk, kid.
i guess if you switched arms every time you shot something.
now shoo-shoo

maybe just try to draw it with your other arm

Yes, of the skeletons we've found, a lot of them are kind of fucked up on one side. Gimme a little bit and I'll pull up an article a buddy wrote.

t. Medievalist

Alright, not exactly what I was looking for but w/e
theglyptodon.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/the-archers-bones/
>This lifelong training left its mark on the archer. We can actually identify a longbowman’s skeleton by the damage they have done to their bones; otherwise rare defects show up along the shoulder blades, wrists, and elbows. The act of drawing back hundreds of pounds of force every day, hundreds of times per day, strained ligaments and bones to such an extent that some skeletons even started growing extra bone to compensate. Their devotion to their skill permanently changed their bodies enough that we can still identify them hundreds of years later. Few other professions can so easily claim the same.

Interesting.
>Implying I'm a kid.
I will definitely try bilateral usage however. Archery is fun.

Stop being lazy and deadlift

I thought deadlift was better for legs? You mean straight leg DL?

your autism bothers me

I'm just asking.
I just think archery is more fun so that's where this thread comes in.

I have a 65lb bow and I feel it mostly in my forearms and fingers.

Your fingers will probably get sore before anything happens to your back.

ya that guys back looks huuuuge

No, I've been a national level archer for years as a kid (pre-sub junior to junior), training up to 4 times a week for two hours and it does nothing but develop slight muscular and structural imbalances.

My trainer actually kept telling us to stretch the other half of our body with resistance bands daily.

He uses low draw weight probably.
See

What was your draw weight?

I went through about 5 bows, but I think it capped at about 45lbs. You won't find many modern sport bows with higher poundages really.
Also, the sheer draw weight is definitely not the only determining factor in how much you actually have to pull. Short deflex bow will shoot a lot slower than a longer reflex bow (like the ones used in the Olympics) etc.

That picture is bs because i actually feel a lot in my arm that's holding the bow and in the arm pulling the string.

Never felt anything in my back at all, but I also do 3x20 pull-ups and rep 4pl8 deadlift so the bow might be babby weight compared to that when it comes to lats and rear delts.

In that case your shoulders are positioned incorrectly and you're not pulling the slack out of the bow by retracting your shoulder blades.
You should only feel tension in the arm holding the bow, back and maybe the forearm of your right hand.

>growing extra bone
How do I stop being a bonelet

I meant my forearm mostly. I also am right handed and shoot left handed so it might be a bit different for what muscles I feel. However I never really feel anything in my back or anything closely related to doms after shooting. If I've worked a lot of forearms or biceps the same day or day before It will hurt a bit shooting sometimes.

I didn't mean doms, the stimulus is not significant enough nor strange to the body so you won't get any.

It should simply feel like tension, as if you were doing a chest supported row/reverse flys with a light dumbbell perhaps.

Anyway, keep your shoulders down and locked, there's never enough reminders of this.

What ranges and targets are you guys shooting? I got a little nostalgic

Short reflex? You mean in relation to the length of the actual thing?

archery was why I got into lifting in the first place. You need a good base to practice it.

not an extra bone but more bone mass on the right humerus

cool, thanks user