Skills to counter the 'dumb meathead' meme

How do you keep your mind swole, or at the very least socially impressive?
>Be trained classical guitarist
>DYEL wanker just gets done playing 'wonderwall' for the third time on acoustic guitar at party
>Get guitar
>nu-male looking smug like 'this'll be good'
>Noodle around a bit then bust out carcassi study in A minor op.60, no.7
I can't get enough of it, it's so satisfying every single time.

I have a PhD in Chemistry so I don't think I have to prove to anyone that I'm not a dumb meathead

Going to get my msc in applied maths. I don't mind of people think I'm dumb, I hate arguing with people anyway. It's only annoying when someone wants to argue with you about fitness and dieting. But other than that I think I have indeed no other special skills. I can cook and bake.

You don't need to acquire skills to avoid looking like a masthead. literally just don't look like one, it's not difficult. That said, I'm doing a masters in theoretical physics next year

play piano

I typically drop words or phrases from a few languages I know. This usually leads to someone asking if I speak that language, and then I show off my polyglot skills. Most people in my country only speak one language, so to speak more than 2 is especially impressive.
I also know about the New Testament inside-out, so if anyone ever talks about religion or Christianity, I can typically have a decent conversation with them.

What do you do with it? Thinking of doing Biochemistry or Chemical Engineering in uni, something like that

You sound like a bender

rube tbqh

>Chemical engineering
I'm pretty sure that's what Dolph Lundgren has a master's in.

Did you say something cool like
>"Pshhh....Nothing personal kid"
after?

I really enjoy the field of psychology and am going to go for a MSW or Masters in counseling in the next year or so. I am subscribed to a couple of journals and peruse through articles that are of interest to me.
The tricky thing in not looking like a dumb meathead is also not looking like an autist. If there's something you're passionate about it's easy to get carried away in a conversation with someone who isn't nearly as interested in that subject as you are. OP forgot the last part of his greentext:

>people think it's cool for a couple of seconds
>eventually they get bored of watching what is the social equivalent of me ejaculating all over my own face
>disperse to pursue more interesting social interactions than watching me play obscure classical guitar

Honestly OP at a party the guy with the guitar is the guy with the guitar is the guy with the guitar. At least the nu-male had the decency to play something other people could vibe with and sing along to- that makes it a group/social activity. What you do is hold people socially hostage and make them uncomfortable.

>feelling smug playing babby-tier studies
You're even more cancerous than your imaginary rival

Cooking. It will help with your cut/bulk cycles or maintenance too. Also, girls love guys who cook.

I work in corporate now for a big chemical company
My passion is real, wet chemistry. On the bench or in the fume hood working with real chemicals and doing proper research, but theres no money in it.

Honestly if you're smart enough for Chem Eng you're smart enough to do medicine.. just become an MD or a surgeon and make bank brother. I wish I'd gone down that route tbqh.

How steep is the electric guitar learning curve if I have never played any type of music whatsoever?

Depends on what you enjoy playing mate, guitar as an instrument is pretty easy to learn but hard to master

You'll spend the first couple weeks wanting to kill yourself, then learn to play Back in Black (minus the solo) and get cocky, then slowly get better. If you keep practicing you'll get good.

ACDC, Led Zeppelin, early Metallica and Megadeth, normal stuff
How often practice? 1h/day 7 days/week or less?

No, because I don't give a shit.

Ideally an hour a day. I wish I had stuck with it because I'd be way better than I am now, but at least pick it up every day and try it out. Once you learn how to play the songs you like, then you start making up your own stuff.

>early Megadeth
Take it easy buddy, Mustaine is an infinitely better musician than the other bands you listed. Don't get frustrated and practice a lot of other simpler stuff to get your chops right.
Once you get comfortable with your instrument, be sure to practice with a metronome or a backing track.
One hour per day would be pretty damn solid if it's your first instrument, remember that music is not a contest and if you don't have fun playing, you probably will stop practising

>ACDC, Led Zeppelin, early Metallica and Megadeth
>Normal stuff
You mean emo screamo bullshit?

Agree with this guy.

Easy bands to learn

Nirvana (yes, play Smells Like Teen Spirit, the solo is super easy as well)

certain Metallica songs, just for the riffs so you can learn how to play faster (Master of Puppets opening, Enter Sandman)

ACDC (every song of theirs is the same)

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

Any Neutral Milk Hotel song

I could go on, but you can do pretty much any basic rock group. Once you start going into metal you'll find it hard. Also stay away from LZ, Jimmy Page is way better than he sounds

In the first year you'll see significant progress if you keep at it. By the second year you'll think you know everything and become a show off. Afterwards, if you persist, you'll realize you know nothing, and you can start studying for real.

>then you start making up your own stuff
Woah, I don't want to squat 6 plate just yet. Let me be able to play smoke on the water seamlessly and without a cheat sheet first and we'll see about creativity later
My early teens were full of rust in peace and Gianna Michaels. Those were the days.

Yeah anyway, I don't know what is easy and what is hard, or where to start.
(That is sort of a question which you may answer)
Almost missed that, quote me next time too. Thanks.
That sounds daunting and horrible. Will I need a tutor?

>That sounds daunting and horrible. Will I need a tutor?
It's just growing pains. I can assure you the process is quite satisfying. And the 'know nothing' moment is usually an epiphany that sets you on the specialization you want. Keep in mind that there are many styles of guitar and many types of music, and you won't know which is for you until you try them. Also it's not like your skills from the first two years become useless, you'll just need to refine them for what you like.
As for the tutoring part, I would say you don't need one. there's a wealth of resources online on every minor conceivable detail of the craft. I wish there was a youtube when I started out, honestly. The only way a tutor would help is by making you stick to a schedule, or provide extra motivation or inspiration, with the occasional correction of physical posture and hand positions. That's my opinion at least, your mileage may vary.

Kek. Very nice OP. I used to train in classical guitar when I first started university. Learn a shit ton of technique, pieces by Bach, some nerd stuff like To Zanarkand by Uematsu, some Tárrega pieces as well. Don't really party anymore so never get to show off. But I've been there. I know that feel user.

But to answer your question, I think having a degree and being financially secure is the first way to counter the dumb meathead meme. Dressing right and being Veeky Forums and not wearing brotanks everywhere.

It's just good to be a renaissance man. Nu-males are often one trick ponies.

So do I search for "self learning electric guitar for dummies" and click on the first result?
And do I buy used or new? How many european shekels?

That being said, I also have a master's in economics.

A-anyone else here study econ? I work for the federal government now so it turned out pretty well for me. Any success on your guys' end?

Another note. Does anyone else feel they "grew up" with other anons here? I swear even just 5 years ago when I was 21 I never saw a PhD or master's on here. I'm sure there were here and there, but now I see them in a shit ton of threads here, Veeky Forums, /pol/, even fucking /x/.

Why the fuck would you browse any of those boards

Always been a horror fan, so I /x/. It's good late night before bed or during October.

Economics obviously fits into Veeky Forums.

/pol/ for the bantz.

Dolf?

>Economics obviously fits into Veeky Forums.
I thought it was pure shitposting, should I start browsing?

"beginner electric guitar lesson" on youtube gives you a lot of options. Just find a bearable one and get into it. I'm sure you could find similar books as well.
As for guitars, it really depends on the budget. Currently, even the cheapo guitars are fairly good quality compared to what it was years ago. Look at Yamaha Pacifica, Squier Affinity, or Jackson. New is fine, but I wouldn't go over 250eur. Honestly, as a beginner, you should choose the guitar that looks and feels good to you. You can't yet judge the sound quality or the resonance or the pickup characteristics, but if the guitar is attractive to you, so if you like it in some way, there is a greater chance you'll pick it up and practice.
For amplification, people use their computers these days, but I would recommend a small digital effects processor to play around with. You'll learn about the different effects, amps and so on, and once you know what you like you can invest in some real gear. Those digital multiprocessors are all quite similar to eachother in the lower price range, so just go with Vox, Zoom or Digitech, whatever catches your eye and fits your budget.
Also, if you're in EU, check out the largest store for what's on the market; they have pretty much everything there: thomann.de

You sound like cool guy

Don't neglect old testament, it's got nothing to do with our covenant but has lots of spicy stuff, song of solomon has a whole section where describes in great detail how he's gon' give his waifu the old testament lickaroo

The secret is not being a dumb meathead

If the gym is all you ever do, you are a fucking meathead

I read the Greeks a lot (not memeing here, that is the foundation for understanding literally everything the West has done) as well as some other writers like Nabokov or Bolano. I also read a lot of history, so right now I am reading a general history of the Ottoman Empire and after that I have a history of the arabs in modernity.
Reading books that aren't YA/Comics or written by shitty authors like Gaiman will help a lot.
I've also tried my hand at whittling, so I've made a few crosses and some other stuff but only having a knife is kind of limiting.

doing my computer science undergrad at a 'top 20' university

usually you can just say you're studying computer science and non STEM normies will eat that shit up and think you're smart as shit because 'I tried programming once and it was hard' but name dropping the school and the top 20 thing (which is bs kek but the program is known to be tough) helps when you;re dealing with other STEM people

he means standard hard rock/heavy metal

>Responding to obvious shitposting
user...

It really annoys me that a lot of people ignore even modern philosophy and treat the entire field as this dated thing that has no bearing on the present. It's especially grating when people in the sciences do it, despite the fact that philosophy is the proto-science.

That study is pretty dope, I'mma learn that too. Also a classical guitar fag. Normally I just default to BWV 1000 or the Bouree from the first lute suite.

> Be 6'4", 210 escaping skelly mode
> Manage a deli
> Year away from associates in theater
> Two years away from bachelors in Lit
> Three away from teaching credential, then onto masters
> Have black belts in two martial arts
> Have qt supportive nordic 5'11 wife, squeezed out my 11lb aryan looking brick of a son

Life is good brehs let your gains be but a backdrop for your life

It's become a crypto board for the most part. But, I still think it's good information if you can get past the utter shill threads. Before January this year I enjoyed it a lot more.

It's one of the few boards that I personally think perfectly balances shitposting and actual information, but that's just me. After a bit of browsing it shouldn't be hard to avoid the shitposting threads if you choose to.

People don't read older philosophy because
>lmao metaphysics are retarded bullshit
And people don't read newer philosophy because it's normally too hard for them to understand, if the older stuff wasn't.
I think a lot of people would rather get home and binge watch a meme tv show than read anything that isn't JK Rowling or King

Don't forget Patterson he writes the same book every year just in time for mommy to download it on her Amazon Kindle(TM)

If you are Asian and jacked by Veeky Forums standards, people won't assume you are dumb even if you are a manlet

D'aww, thanks user. I've been meaning to get into the OT a lot more, as you know it's a very big collection, so it's a bit of a challenge. I've been really getting into Ecclesiastes and Proverbs lately; I mean to study Job in detail quite soon.

Lets be real, if you think you could just walk into medicine because you did engineering then you wouldn't survive medicine.

mirin

going to grad school for aerospace eng, how soul crushingly difficult was getting your phd

can you play math rock? i didnt think so xD

This is incredibly accurate

i think engineering students could memorize just fine

Kek

Cool skill that anybody with an IQ above room temperature could manage to develop.

Call me back when you actually work out what a JMO does everyday and why the suicide rate is so much higher in MDs than in general population.

:kisses:

>being this cocky because you're STEM
lmao

Good man. Can you answer me this. I know we are all equal in the eyes of God and the only way to salvation is through Jesus Christ. But I heard Chuck missler tell us that we are not all equal in heaven, there are rewards when we get up there.
Also finishing up electrical engineering, we're all going to make it lads

Proverbs is just undiluted, immediately applicable wisdom. Just good stuff.

Take your time and don't burnout it's like overtraining your body

Entering uni to do Finance and continuing playing Euphonium where I can for the school.
Is there anything I should prepare for?

>I have never opened a book about fluid dynamics, FEM analysis or oscillations
>Fuck, I don't even know what combustion is
Kys man

not anyone can be a doctor but anyone can be an engineer. i know this due to being smart.

> You have no idea what medicine is or what a doctor actually does.

> The basis of your entire picture has a foundation of that season of Scrubs you watched 10 years ago.

Good reply, faggot.

I'm an engineering student (like probably 90% of Veeky Forums but still).

I used to play drums and piano, but I suck now. I also enjoy wood whittling and graffiti painting (only on old abandoned buildings obviously).

God is no respecter of persons. I think heaven as a kingdom puts you where you were designed to be. Wherever that is, it's right.

I'm no expert on heaven and generally skeptical on testimonies by people who have been to heaven, except for Jesse Duplantis' heaven testimony (you can find that on youtube).

looks like i struck a nerve

medicine is hard but let's not pretend it requires the same amount of critical thinking as math or physics

while you were having a good time ,enjoying life, and casually playing guitar i locked myself in my room and played opuses . now you will learn

What is your question? The degrees of perfection in heaven comes from a couple of verses, I think a section from Matthew 6 is one of them

Thanks. I only listen to preachers that take the bible as the Divine inspiration of God, I'm a new Christian and know a lot of math and science, been interested in finding more codes in the Bible.
Dark times are coming we will be persecuted for our beliefs( we are ridiculed even today), I'm willing to die are you?

I've already graduated with a degree in mechnical engineering. I specialized in design of composite materials and structural analysis. I like to build computers and try and keep up with the new parts coming out.

Also, as for that whole medicine vs engineering debate going on right now I know I couldn't have done medicine because I'm awful at memorization, however I could recite to you the equations I was using in freshman physics just because I've used them and deviations of them so much. Practice helps me learn more.

youre not black. dont tell me what racism is.

tfw your superior thinking skills allow you to make faulty arguments

Uh yeah savants might be into math or physics, but literally, anybody can apply and get into those degrees.

The average for medicine is what? 4% acceptance? You need a well rounded, extremely intelligent, and socially aware individual.

If you think GPA or ability to memorise is a predictor of your success in a medical program you must be living on sheltered virginal life my man legit I'm not even trying to bully you.

I died and was born again years ago. My physical body is consigned to death whether or not I'm persecuted. If it is to be destroyed for my faith, at least the inevitable physical death was used for the glory of God in some way.

Exactly, I have no idea what a doctor has to study or do, that's why I don't claim that it's easy. Unlike you.

t. not smart enough for physics

I have an engineering degree and I feel that I'm probably smarter now that I lift than when I was studying in college, simply because my sleep and nutrition are much better and I take fish oil religiously.

People probably still think of me more as a nerd than a meathead because I wear glasses and don't really look that swole in clothes.

Feel free to quote where I said medicine was easy?

40%

seems like you dont have a talent for understanding numbers or whats going on in general.

he's a med student, you can't expect him to do math

This post whiffs of Medfag superiority, stop that.
Minus Biochemistry and Microbiology preclinical is something a person with a decent grasp of high school biology should understand. The only problem is the vast amount of content, if you are coming from a degree where memorisation is key you will have an edge period.

We have high suicide rates because of the toxic atmosphere, hierarchy, ridiculous workloads, unrealistic goals set out by the hospital. Nothing to be proud of at all.

>T. Ex engineer who is currently IM resident

46.7% of med students are women

> it's another medfags vs physics/math autists episode

can't we just be nice and laugh at the liberal arts cucks together?

How about we just agree you can't brag about anything unless you've graduated?

I'd rather that a woman would give me a prostate exam tbqh

If you're equating the pre clinical shit to being a "doctor" then you've already made a mistake.

the more women there are in something, the easier it is, for example:

early childhood education : 99.9% women, 0.1% pedophiles

if you're equating being a ""doctor"" to undergraduate math/physics, you've already made a mistake

Just throwing out there, those two groups aren't mutually exclusive.

How to not be a dumb meathead:
1. Get degree, at least a BA. This leads to job that requires brain activity.
2. Don't quit lifting ever, fitness has positive effects on mental "sharpness."
3. Have hobbies outside of gym.
4. Become cultured. Travel, cook and eat fine food, drink fine wine, listen to good music, learn to appreciate art.
5. Success.

I got a bachelors in Graphic Communications, which is basically all of the software and hardware involved in the commercial printing industry. I work for a print marketing collateral producer, so, any questions that are more technical than can be answered by press operators come to me. Ive established myself as the go to guy for solving niche problems, R & D type issues, software questions, chemistry problems, etc, in addition to my actual responsibilities which involve workflow management and operations work.
I also make an effort to be well dressed. A nice (not gaudy, but quality) watch, a well pressed and fitted button up, and slacks make you look more professional than most people in a business casual office.
Outside of work I am bilingual, I read a lot, do graphic design freelance, build websites, build furniture, award winning drawing and sculpture, I do a little of everything.
I grew up surrounded by incredibly smart people (brother got his phd in mechanical engineering in 6 years, best friend does R&D for nascar, his brother is studying quantum mechanics at Cal Tech, etc) so I can hold my own in a conversation about damn near anything.

Lib art cuck here.
Ended up in accounting and I hate it. (Long story how)
What is a lucrative quick to get into field from here?
I've been interested in diet / exercise but that doesn't really pay much does it?

6. be 6'0", MINIMUM

the problem is you've got the engineers with the mindset of life = doing exams and regurgitating information. they're like oh fuck man these calculations are suber hard n shit hey.

then you've got the med fags trying to make the point that medicine is the heavy study shit + soul crushing life ending monotony/bullying/loneliness/life deciding exams even when you're an MD/dealing with people 24/7/everybody wants your time/holy fuck I've been at this hospital for 80 hours this week and it's not even teh weekend/holy fuck I'm on call this weekend/jesus fucking christ I keep getting paged and all I wanna do is study for my next exam please make it stop .. I can't find time to date anymore .. I haven't had sex in literally 12 months .. I'm so fucking lonely jesus please make it stop I'm going to take my patients insulin and end my fucking life right now I swear it/fuck me how many years before I become a consultant again?

the point is yeah exams are hard .. a lifestyle is kinda harder.

holy milf motherfucking christ

>I don't know how analogies work
You haven't studied engineering but you claimed it's easier than medicine

how did this turn into undergraduate engineering vs. being an actual doctor?

i think the argument was that the material by itself is more difficult in STEM than it is in pre-clinical, not that being an undergrad engineer is harder than being a doctor (that's retarded)

Feel free to quote where I said any of that.

Oh so you meaning History & Examination, differential diagnosis, communicating well and the sort. All of these come only with practice not because of some inherent quality only medical student possess.
Observe an MS3 on the wards at the beginning of the year, I guarantee you'll think some of them were just pulled off the street.

>an engineer's challenges end once he finishes school