Is $1,200 enough to start a home gym? I'm looking into getting a rack, bench, good barbell, and around 450lb of iron...

Is $1,200 enough to start a home gym? I'm looking into getting a rack, bench, good barbell, and around 450lb of iron. Not sure if I can fit that all into my budget though. The iron looks to be the most expensive.

Keep saving up and invest in bumper plates. About 1600$ is what you would want to shoot for

you can do it with less than 1000
you can get a rack for 400
buy concrete plates, even though they are thicker you can still do 4 or 5 plates on a bar and they cost much less
plenty of money left to buy whatever else you need, chains, belts etc.

Im not into oly lifting though. I've never had to use bumper plates in 2 years of lifting.

You might change your mind one day like i did. Plus theyre easier on your floors.

I'd say this is about right.

just buy 45 plates and use water jugs filled with and or water for anything else you need

you aint shit untill you are lifting 225 ounces bitch.

I've been looking into a homegym for a while, since I can't yet, due to being in an apartment.

Anyway, I like and use the half rack a lot, and those are usually a bit cheaper than the full rack.

1500 got me a t3 rack, rogue ohio bar and set of color echo bumpers, and a bench

If you bought shit on craigslist you could do this for like 600.

Also wtf is with your everyones rack prices you can get one rated to 500+ lbs for like 3-400.
Bar and weights can be gotten for 300 (400 if you want a nicer bar)

More than enough.

I bought the following
>half rack (new) $300
>350lbs plates (craigslist) $175
>barbell (craigslist) $40
>adjustable FID bench (craigslist) $80
>rubber floormats (new) $40
>ez bar (craigslist) $25

TOTAL $660

yes it is, just buy used plates, that will save you some money

look online at buying stuff. you can get shit dirt cheap

t. someone who built a home gym consisting of
>rack with pullup bars
>bench
>2 oly bbs
>350 kg bumper set
>dbs up to 100 lbs

for like 700$

>buying a bar and plates for hundreds of dollars.

go to dicks and get the "fitness gear" 300 lb set.

inb4 "but muh quality"

it's weight. Steel. It is literally impossible to fuck up.

lmao2jugs

Didn't include the cost of your squat plug, senpai.

I never understood homegym fags

It's boring as hell to workout at home. When you go to gym you see hot cardiobunnies and shredded dudes that motivate you to lift harder. You also communicate with others, can ask for spot etc, make new frieds.

/r/ someone do a virgin/Chad home gym vs public gym

this, public gyms are great if you're not a turbo autist

Agree with you on the plates, but trashy barbells are horrible to use. I didn't even realise this until I switched gyms and started training with higher quality ones, but the difference is huge. Also, cheap shitty barbells get bent super fucking easily and end up worse than useless after a few months.

seconding
chad obv social life at gym virgin works out at home

To everyone suggesting Craigslist, the cl community around here is pretty meek. I have yet to see any decent amount of weights offered.

Just search craigslist everyday, eventually someone will be selling them for a good price. Got a rack and about 400 lbs plus a punching bag and bench for $500.

Then search out further. Check Faceberg too. They have a marketplace that's sort of like Craigslist. The price difference between a new and used set can be $500 or more. It's one of the few purchases where it makes sense to drive an our or two from home.

Titan - cheap chinese knockoff of Rogue
same for bench
Cap OB-86 family of bars

That should run 400-700 depending on what you get. Plenty left for cheap plates

Dont get bumper plates

Also if you just get plates of craigslist they will work just fine.

I know the idea of plates being calibrated is nice and all but as long as you are consistently adding weight and using the same plates it doesn't matter if your 45s weight 47lbs or 43.777 pounds.

I would suggest a decent rack though.

Buy used. Be patient and pickup a barbell and/or power rack from someone who just needs to get quick cash for it. Guys getting married or starting a family/have young kids will throw it out their house for 100-200 sometimes free if you can move it.

Keep an ad up on what ever sites you use for used goods

100 L x 5

>$40 barbell

I get that you wanna save yourself a couple hundred but is it really smart to spend $40 on a barbell when it's going to bend once you hit 5 plates?

From Canada

Rack 450$ with supports and chin up bar
Olympic bar +300# 320$

Found a shitty bench for 50$

Could have bought a cage for cheaper but low ceilings

nah chad has both. most gyms are faggots about dropping weight and therefore home is more conducive for certain lift days.